Why '23 will be better than '22: Offensive weapons

toffee

Reaction score
We have one of the BEST WR and RB Corp, hey our TE may lack a super star but all three TEs are fairly capable, and our QB was a pro-bowler last season. Our roster could attack by running and passing, with the addition of JSN, and two power backs in Charonnet and Mcintosh, let's say we converts two extra 3rd downs, that will tilt the time of possession in our favor?

Quite sure that I missed or got some names wrong, please help?

OffenseUDFA
QBGeno SmithDrew LockHolton Ahlers
WR1aTyler LockettCade JohnsonJake Bobo, John Hall
WR1bDK MetcalfDareka YoungTyjon Lindsey
WR3Jaxon Smith-NjigbaDee EksridgeMatt Landers
TENoah FantWill DissilyColby ParkingsonNoah Gindorff
RB1Ken Walker IVChris Smith
RB2Zach CharbonnetMarcus Cooper
RB 3rd downDK DallasKenny McIntosh

Boohman14

Reaction score
Looking at out running backs, all can contribute. I believe we can get some explosive plays out of the screen pass for a change. Maybe even reduce the number of times we run the dreaded bubble screen.

I think WR3 Dee-Dee is likley going to be cut or traded for a case of Gatorade.

Scout

Reaction score
If Johnson or Young show something as #4 WRs the Hawks may be able to run 4 verticals and be unstoppable as well as running 12 personnel on occasion.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The offense is capable. The defense is where it falls apart.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The Offense looks Top 5 to me on paper. Geno, if he’s for real, should be able surpass his 2022 numbers easily. Anyone who can’t be excited for the offensive potential and the personnel Waldron and Dickerson now have to work with have to be kind of crazy or ignorant. They definitely filled those last little nuances they needed to maximize their scheme.

The defense seems pretty solid at LBer and DB, more so than last season. If it falls apart just because of DLine, I get it. But at the same time I’ve read pieces on how the Seahawks prime LOB DLines and there wasn’t any big time high end draft choices or superstars and they had success through deep rotatio. I also deep dived the Vic Fangio 49ers DLines and Justin Smith was the only high resource star, their other starters were 4th rounders, and their depth was mostly built using 7th rounders and UDFAs. Seahawks are taking a similar path of getting guys to compete hard for a job and seeing who rises up from that and perhaps adding guys that will just do the job that is asked, and who might be tougher and grittier to get that job done.

I’m also biased because I think pound for pound Morris might be potentially better long-term than a Carter or Bresee. Imagine him having a Sweezy/Fant transformation going into year 2 and getting up to a swole 310-315 with a frame that can handle it without losing much of his quickness. Monster.

And pound for pound Young is as good as, if not better than any run-stuffing 2 gapper in the last class and right now he’s up to 320-325. And ironically enough, his job looks to be much simpler in the Pros than it was in college as Miss St. asked their Line to do some weird things.

Last edited:

LTH

Reaction score
The offense is capable. The defense is where it falls apart.
Maybe ... but maybe we should wait and see what they look like before we say they are crap.

I think its going to take some time for them to gel but let's see what they look like. I would be willing to bet they are not done adding as well.

LTH

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
I'm excited for the potential of the offense, like many of us. If the rookies pick up the speed of the game quicky and the second year players continue to improve...we have the makings of a very solid, if not explosive, offense. The running back stable should have immense depth and having three dynamic wide receivers that can attack the entire field will be a plus. Our offensive line is young, but has the ability to be our strongest unit if coaching/effort is able to shore up some of their individual weaknesses. The upside on talent is there, no doubt.

I worry about tackle depth and whether or not we can develop a fourth wide receiver (maybe my adopt a rookie can help out there...), but there is a lot to be excited about.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maybe ... but maybe we should wait and see what they look like before we say they are crap.

I think its going to take some time for them to gel but let's see what they look like. I would be willing to bet they are not done adding as well.

LTH

They absolutely could be decent. Wont know until we watch. Just basing my comment on the past few years.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
You may call me a homer, but I couldn't find any hole in our skill positions.

Pete and John invested heavily in the Njigba and Charbonette. I meant we could have Mazi Smith (26th) instead of Njigba and John Michael Schmitz or O'Cyrus Torrence or Drew Sander I stead of Charbonette.

Go Hawks.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Me neither. And I can't wait to see them in operation.

But I'm really intrigued by what our O-line is going to look like, and if either (or both!) of the rookies have a shot of making the starting lineup.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

Pete and John invested heavily in the Njigba and Charbonette. I meant we could have Mazi Smith (26th) instead of Njigba and John Michael Schmitz or O'Cyrus Torrence or Drew Sander I stead of Charbonette.

Go Hawks.
They are pretty dynamic on O that's for sure. the passing attack is going to be lethal the key IMO is for the rookies on offense to perform to their potential and contribute the first year. if the O line gels quickly and effectively and the run game gets going god help the opposing defenses. The NFC west has a problem defending this O.

Jville

Reaction score

LTH

That's spot on.

The 2023 team has yet to be assembled. Phase 3 of off season workouts began today. A lot to see and digest before fans see the team take shape.

1331422294.0.jpg

Good Time Ahead.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Would you guys be surprised by Charbonnet taking over as our lead back from say game 5 onwards?

bileever

Reaction score
It's tough to rely on just one back. Many of the good teams have two good RBs--like Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon on the Packers, or Jamaal Williams and D'Andre Swift on the Lions. Or Devin Singletary and James Cook on the Bills. You just can't have too many RBs.

calinator

Reaction score
This topic is lost to me when I saw weapons. Weapons don't matter unless the trenches are strong too. Our O Line seemed decent last year and Russ apparently was part of the reason it always looked so bad. If you told me he didn't make line protection checks I'd believe it. The main thing holding this team back is how weak the DL is. Hopefully Reed helps against the run but also no pass rush.

Atradees

Reaction score
I dont know....hadnt seen them yet. If the defense is so smart it isnt better than it was last year.... it is gong to be a long year
Whose fault is that?

olyfan63

Reaction score
It's tough to rely on just one back. Many of the good teams have two good RBs--like Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon on the Packers, or Jamaal Williams and D'Andre Swift on the Lions. Or Devin Singletary and James Cook on the Bills. You just can't have too many RBs.
That's how I see it as well. Not that useful to say which RB "starts". ZC and K9 should be a nice 1-2 punch. Hoping ZC turns into a really good 3rd down back. He's a little bigger for holding up in pass pro. Seahawks backs always get injured and we will need a stable of them and especially need to have at least one of ZC or K9 available on game day to have a credible running game threat.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
RB/WR rooms get instant infusion of talent...making Geno's job easier. Last year when Rashaad Penny made an early exit it left a gaping hole for our RB room. Kenneth Walker went from mentored to featured and answered the call in a big way...immediately showing that a balanced running attack/ passing attack makes life so much easier for your QB and team overall. Getting dinged up a bit from heavy use exposed the reality that there was significant drop-off when Walker was out of action. Travis Homer and DJ Dallas played with a lot of heart but becoming feature backs instead of helping Walker catch his breath was not "in the cards" and teams didn't have to "stack" the box. Strong O-Line play is almost in synch with clutch RB play...they feed off each others energy.

Addressing this "weakness" especially after Penny and Homer left for greener pastures was a hidden need. Opponents rushing attacks only get stronger as negative time of possession takes its toll on our D-Line mid to late second half.

High percentage running/passing plays keep the chains moving...keeping the other teams offense on the sidelines while establishing the ever important "RHYTHM" that keeps an offense humming. Replacing Penny and Homer are Zach Charbonnet and Kenny McIntosh. Zach and Kenny offer pass pro strengths and soft hands for quick dump-offs with elusive wriggle/power combo to pile up yards after catch (evading initial contact). Zach has "take it to the bank" burst while McIntosh has quick cut ability with break/evade tackle talent to move the chains even if he lacks the Big Gain Burst of Walker/Charbonnet. DJ Dallas has play tested durability to stay on the 53 man roster and still holds a leg up on Kick-off returns...but McIntosh represents a real roster threat in potential. Our 53 man roster faces serious competition/churn ...requiring what can I do NOW...not what have I done already.

Addressing 3rd down efficiency and the unbalance of time of possession we added a WR1c option disguised as a WR3 slot with Jaxon Smith-Njigba a mid field "assassin" who blends into a 4 headed hydra with DK/Lockett/Fant in bunch or spread formations...Shane Waldron has serious weapons for Geno to execute a growing/branching playbook with.

An improving O-Line with solid depth pieces (Olusaegun Oluwatimi-Center/ Anthony Bradford-Guard) offers power and athleticism cohesion with an effective TE triad (Fant/Dissly/Parkinson) ...to aid pass pro/run blocking schemes. This offensive improvement is "under the hood" awaiting fine tuning by our O-Line Coach Andy Dickerson.

Our off season dreaming is starting to take form!

Last edited:

Latest posts