Reality Check! This is a rebuild!

kidhawk

Reaction score
How can it be a rebuild when John and Pete are ALWAYS building? These two are always looking for players to improve the team. We aren't tanking for high draft picks, we aren't trading away players for picks in hopes of winning in a few years. Make no mistake, John and Pete are still building this team, and as long as they are running this team they always will be building it to be better.

We were never better than 2013, and that team was about as unbalanced as this team. Our offense was barely average and our defense was elite, but nobody was calling it a rebuild then, but John and Pete were still constantly working to improve the team.

Now the shoe is on the other foot and the offense is the dominate side and the defense is struggling, but we are still 7-2 and in a strong position for the playoffs. This is just a simple continuation of John and Pete working with what they have to compete game in and game out while always looking at ways to make the team better.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Just regarding the defense, it looks like a unit IN NEED of a rebuild. It looks like a house that has been neglected over the years with a leaky roof (secondary) and a cracked, sinking foundation (D-line). They put a tarp on the roof and pushed some grout into the cracks. Years and years have gone by but nothing substantive has changed; not a single standout to replace the broken pieces.

This offense can carry some weight in the regular season. It will be more difficult as we start playing contenders instead of pretenders. Even more so come playoff time. With a true elite QB such as the hawks have, it would take a real act of coaching and front office ineptitude to drop below .500. A deep run is not possible without at least an average D. The hawks need an Epic draft on defense but the way they are going a high draft pick is unlikely.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Absolutely average defense + Elite offense, with capable passing game, and a big-time power run game = Super Bowl, baby!! Book it!!

This formula is also known as the 2005 Seattle Seahawks, with Hasselbeck, Alexander, Walter Jones, Hutch, DJack, Jurevicius, etc., and an absolutely average-but-improving defense with rookie LB Lofa Tatupu calling the signals.

So Pete I'm sure knows he just needs to keep improving the defense; they don't have to be elite like the 2013-14 group, just average and improving. Russell is better than Hasselbeck in his prime because he is less likely to turn the ball over against murderous defenses.

no4mk1

Reaction score
This is what rebuilds look like with successful teams. More of a "reload".

I'm tickled with this team being 7-2 this year. I figured we'd only get ten this year, with a run next year. A decent run this year is house money.

The word rebuild does not have to be negative.

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
The word "rebuild" means the entire organization, not just one or two parts of the organization.

So no, just because because the defense is still rebuilding doesn't mean the entire team can be called a "rebuild." This is probably the best offensive unit Pete's ever put on the field. Is that a rebuild?

In the words of the great Inigo Montoya.........................

When I Created this post it was not intended as negative.It was more of a response to the fire Pete threads and criticisms of the defense. I commended Pete and Schneider for realizing it was time to rebuild. This is a rebuild.
Now as to the comments on the offense not needing a rebuild this rebuild includes the offense. I stated the rebuild began after the 2017 season. Case in point Russ led the team in rushing after the 2017 season with 586 yards on 95 carries. Subtract that and the team had just 1043 yards on 314 carries. 3.3 yard a carry. Pete then let Tom Cable and Darryl Bevell go and brought in run gurus Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Solari this alone should state rebuild for the offense. They then brought in DJ Fliuker to upgrade one guard spot and Ed Dickson to upgrade the ineffective blocking of Jimmy Graham and also drafted Rashad Penny in the first round.

Last year they improved to 4,8 yards a carry. Pete likes old school football win with defense and the running game. Running game rebuild complete time to get the defense going. I think they will get better before the playoffs. Pete is to good a coach and Wagner to strong a leader for this to continue. A Super Bowl win is not out of the question though they may need to catch lightning in a bottle. Flash Gordon?

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tnj0ahq said:
The word "rebuild" means the entire organization, not just one or two parts of the organization.

So no, just because because the defense is still rebuilding doesn't mean the entire team can be called a "rebuild." This is probably the best offensive unit Pete's ever put on the field. Is that a rebuild?

FWeorUP bS3UD8Lzvfm 9B8hN6o3h78ZiIyH995PvYI

When I Created this post it was not intended as negative.It was more of a response to the fire Pete threads and criticisms of the defense. I commended Pete and Schneider for realizing it was time to rebuild. This is a rebuild.
Now as to the comments on the offense not needing a rebuild this rebuild includes the offense. I stated the rebuild began after the 2017 season. Case in point Russ led the team in rushing after the 2017 season with 586 yards on 95 carries. Subtract that and the team had just 1043 yards on 314 carries. 3.3 yard a carry. Pete then let Tom Cable and Darryl Bevell go and brought in run gurus Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Solari this alone should state rebuild for the offense. They then brought in DJ Fliuker to upgrade one guard spot and Ed Dickson to upgrade the ineffective blocking of Jimmy Graham and also drafted Rashad Penny in the first round.

Last year they improved to 4,8 yards a carry. Pete likes old school football win with defense and the running game. Running game rebuild complete time to get the defense going. I think they will get better before the playoffs. Pete is to good a coach and Wagner to strong a leader for this to continue. A Super Bowl win is not out of the question though they may need to catch lightning in a bottle. Flash Gordon?

kidhawk

Reaction score
In this league, it's nearly impossible to have a top offense and defense at the same time and keep it year in and year out. Most good teams will be continually building portions of their program to keep competitive. The term rebuilding is almost always used to mean a team that is not really all that competitive and is using an influx of young talent to get back to playoff contention. Pete and John have continued to remain in playoff contention, thus it's not a rebuild

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
kidhawk":37t6rs9r said:
In this league, it's nearly impossible to have a top offense and defense at the same time and keep it year in and year out. Most good teams will be continually building portions of their program to keep competitive. The term rebuilding is almost always used to mean a team that is not really all that competitive and is using an influx of young talent to get back to playoff contention. Pete and John have continued to remain in playoff contention, thus it's not a rebuild
ANNOUNCEMENTS
Monday Night's opponent is top 10 n both stats.
The team was on a downward trajectory now it is on an upward trajectory..
Finally a Merriam Webster definition of the word rebuild:

Definition of rebuild
transitive verb

1a : to make extensive repairs to : RECONSTRUCT
rebuild a war-torn city
b : to restore to a previous state
rebuild inventories

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rebuild

chris98251

Reaction score
Dissley, Hollister, Penny, Homer, DK, Jennings, Ursua, Haynes, Iupati, Jones, Smith, Willson, Brown, Gordon,

Flowers, Griffin, Griffin, Thorpe, Ansah, Clowney, Collier, Green Jackson, Ford, Woods, Bellore, Amadi, Blair, Kyndricks, Diggs, Thompson, Christmas.

Myers, Dickson,

In the last two or three years these players and I am missing some have come in to upgrade and replace our super bowl players.

Guess that's not a rebuild, it's just roster Churn.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This thread is basically just the OP arguing with himself about the definition of "rebuild"

Safe to say, the roster is always churning, as per PC since he arrived

Matter of debate what state it's in now.

John63

Reaction score
Rebuild, hmm someone forgot to tell Wilson that.

olyfan63

Reaction score
tersal":17y7xstr said:
-snip-
They then brought in DJ Fliuker to upgrade one guard spot and Ed Dickson to upgrade the ineffective blocking of Jimmy Graham and also drafted Rashad Penny in the first round.

The irony of it all... Fluker has been injured more than he's been healthy this season; Dickson has bee on IR, and Penny has gotten very limited workload.

True, Fluker when healthy has been a beast; this year though, not so much.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
tersal":3okqybbm said:
Sgt. Largent":3okqybbm said:

By your definition then every team in the NFL is under a rebuild, because every team has weaknesses and units they're trying to improve and upgrade.

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2abq0ost said:
tersal":2abq0ost said:
Sgt. Largent":2abq0ost said:

By your definition then every team in the NFL is under a rebuild, because every team has weaknesses and units they're trying to improve and upgrade.

Look the intention of my post is to state after missing the playoffs in 2017 the team is working to get back to the level of 2013. I consider that rebuilding, thus let us end all the negativity like fire Pete on this site. That being said I do think the team has amassed some really strong offensive weapons. The offense could very well lead the way the next few years.

John63

Reaction score
tersal":24iph162 said:
Sgt. Largent":24iph162 said:
tersal":24iph162 said:
Sgt. Largent":24iph162 said:

Look the intention of my post is to state after missing the playoffs in 2017 the team is working to get back to the level of 2013. I consider that rebuilding, thus let us end all the negativity like fire Pete on this site. That being said I do think the team has amassed some really strong offensive weapons. The offense could very well lead the way the next few years.

That's not rebuilding. Rebuilding teams dont barely miss or make the playoffs. Using rebuilding is an excuse. It's an excuse why they have not hit on a defensive draft on years. Why they have not hit on a good defensive FA. It's an excuse for the reality that PC has not been getting it done for years. You put just about any other QB but Wilson and we aren't even close to the playoffs. He came to the Hawks with a built in advantage knowing the college players. Well that advantage has been over and very few great draft picks over the last few years. In fact name the last defensive pro bowl level defenders we have drafted? Hard to do huh.

OP
OP
T

tersal

Reaction score
Call it a rebuild or a rehab but call it a success! Loving the Monday night win over the 49ers. 8-2 just a half game out. Awesome.

samwize77

Reaction score
I think when Pete and John came in and gutted the team...THAT was a rebuild...

Most every NFL team is in transition in one form or another...from year to year....

Most teams will try to maintain their core players.….either offensive or defensive or a combination.

Every teams core players will transition over the course of years...either through the draft or free agency.

Core players also are kept or released with the hiring or firing of Coaching Staffs.

Of course, not all teams move players the same as others...but I'm pretty certain...without knowing...that most teams are probably changing the same from year to year...give or take.

Right now (the last couple of years) we might be changing or "transitioning" more than others.....but a rebuild?...my thinking, or opinion is no.

Latest posts