Really?????? And, who are these guys????????

AgentDib

Reaction score
Every fan base has a small minority of knowledgeable fans who can name 30+ players on the current roster and a large majority of casual fans who can name about 5. Does it really matter if the "knowledgeable" fans compose 2.1% of one fan base and 2.2% of another? Whatever the real numbers are they are very low for every team.

What most people are thinking of when they are talking about "best" fanbase is really just the fanbase with the highest demand for goods from that team; merchandise, tickets, TV/radio broadcast, internet clips. To be a comparative statistic it should be normalized by income and I would further argue it should be normalized per capita. Best and Most are not synonymous and can be talked about separately. Prices should not be used to estimate this because they include supply-side effects such as stadium capacity.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":3pehv5wv said:
We've been pretty strong for a while now, but we're still babies in NFL years. We have miles and miles to go before generations have been bred as Seahawks fans. We're still one of the five lease knowledgeable fanbases in the league. The average female Giants fan knows more about football than the guy you work next to that wears the Seahawks hat. Don't believe me? Go to the east coast or the south and start up a football conversation.

Well, that is because Our income margin allows us to purchase and rent out a second home. Always a good idea to know landlord/tenant laws in that situation.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tical21":24pv009w said:
NJSeaHawk":24pv009w said:
Tical21":24pv009w said:
We've been pretty strong for a while now, but we're still babies in NFL years. We have miles and miles to go before generations have been bred as Seahawks fans. We're still one of the five lease knowledgeable fanbases in the league. The average female Giants fan knows more about football than the guy you work next to that wears the Seahawks hat. Don't believe me? Go to the east coast or the south and start up a football conversation.

I know at least 86.7 female Giants fans, and they are all dumb and couldn't name more Giants players than Eli Manning or Victor Cruz, and they all think ODB died a couple of years ago.
Didn't you just basically describe your average Seahawks fans?

Look, I am so much of a nerd, that literally my favorite thing on this planet to do is debate and partake in intelligent sports conversations. It is just really, really hard to do in this area. You see so many people with Seahawks gear. Go to a sports bar. Ask one of them if they think Bobby Wagner should get franchised or if Russell Wilson deserves Aaron Rodgers money. 99% of the time, you are not going to get an intelligent thought in return for your question.

I was lucky enough in a previous job to travel around the country doing golf shows. Go to a sports bar in Boston, or Dallas, or DC or Chicago or Nashville, and start up a sports conversation. It is an entirely different world. You walk down the streets in NYC or Boston, you're going to hear sports radio coming out of every other car. You're going to see it on all the tv's you walk by. Wear a sports hat through a real sports town, and you're going to get stopped several times during the day and asked sports questions.

Knowledgeable? Travel well? Did our grandparents grow up going to Seahawks games when they were little? No, no, and no. We'll get there somebody, but right now there is just a galactic difference between us and truly rooted fanbases.

Are Seahawks fans passionate? No doubt. Passion per fan is incredibly high. And we're really, really loud.

I've been all over the country, and although I can't say I've hit up all the sports bars during football season and tried to get opposing fans to bring up salient points, I will say the best place I've lived in for overall sports knowledge was Las Vegas.

You want to learn about sports ? Listen to AM radio in LV. Those guys have to know EVERYTHING, about an enormously broad amount of sports, because they cater to bettors. And bettors tend to be fairly savvy because the folks that are serious about it want to make money. They don't listen to AM radio for all the inside stuff, but they listen for breaking news, and if don't know what you're talking about, you're going to lose an audience really quickly. Plus, Vegas doesn't have a home team, and the population is very transient, so you get a very good cross section of sports society.

I've met all kinds of fans down there, and by far the most knowledgeable are the Hawks fans. Your "legacy" teams, like Steelers, Broncos, Cowboys, Niners, etc. tend to be pretty damned ignorant of anything besides their team, and pretty homeristic about their teams on top of that. Let me state that I think the most informed football fans are able to follow teams besides their own, and not be overly homeristic about their own teams.....as emotions tend to could judgement and logic in almost any arena, and sports more than most.

Sure, it's not the largest cross section, but it's a pretty thorough one.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Actually, I had a thought.

So, a big part of this study is box office revenue. Aside from the fact that we have a smaller stadium than a lot of the "legacy" teams (Dallas and the Redskins can seat 100k), the Seahawks just came out and said our average ticket prices were the lowest (on average) in the NFL.

So, our team isn't a greedy, and that makes us bad fans ? I'm not even sure how those are on the same planet, much less congruent.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":97vi4i6v said:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselawrence/2015/07/13/seattle-seahawks-tickets-most-expensive-in-nfl-on-secondary-market-up-9-from-2014/

Seattle Seahawks Tickets Most Expensive In NFL On Secondary Market

The demand for Seahawk tickets are in such demand they've driven the secondary market up to most expensive in entire NFL. Yet, we're 26th on that list?? :roll:

The metrics they are using must be based solely on profits directly to the team. What a lazy measure of fandom.

nepahawk

Reaction score
Tical21":175j4me0 said:

I don't know about female Giants fans or the east and south football knowledge in general, being any better or worse.
However, last year I attended my first Seahawks home game, traveling from Pennsylvania.
I was surprised by the lack of general knowledge of the game from the people around me.
These were season ticket holders, who had tickets for 25 years.
I know this is a verrry small sample size and hopefully is not indicative of the entire fanbase.
Like I said it was very disappointing, great people but sort of clueless.
I don't claim to be a X & O guy but, that day I felt like a football genius. lol

Latest posts