Red zone issues

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I’m not sure anyone can do any more than what Waldron is doing though. He’s calling all the same stuff Shanahan, Mcdaniels or anyone else is doing. Seattle has just been bad at roster construction for a long time and it’s going to take some time overcoming it. Maybe I’m naive but I’m not sure what anyone else can do differently and the line was terrible long before Sickerson got here. It really hasn’t been good since Pete got here
I don't even know that it's the playcalling.

I just want an offensive crew in here that can manifest a run game, no matter what. Solari and Schotty could do that all day. I don't think they can do it consistently enough, and for me, it needs to be *the* point of emphasis.

Hire Aaron Kromer away from the Bills and give him the OC role, ask me. Run the team through the line and rush attack, get a pass game coordinator to deal with the rest.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Our short yardage offense has struggled all season. That's why we've been at the bottom of the league in 3rd down situations. If it's play calling, run blocking pass protection execution what ever it is hopefully it's not too late get some consistency before the playoffs begin. Of course assuming we make it into the tournament.

flv2

Reaction score
In the red zone you have a blunt force mentality HC, and that's fine. The problem is the Seahawks lack blunt force mentality offensive personnel. You don't have a lineman or combo-block that will consistently win and get 2 yards on request. Walker is a breakaway speed RB and that doesn't really help in the red zone. Charbonnet is an all-rounder but that's not a plus in the redzone either. The receivers aren't big-body, large catching frame types who can stop at the goal-line, face the QB between defender and ball, catch the ball, and fall backwards. It's a finesse offense. If you can't beat the defenders physically you have to beat them mentally, and that's also a problem. It's a good roster, but it's designed to move the ball between the 20s rather than score points.

More ugly, less pretty.

WarHawks

Reaction score
^This. More DK and tight ends in the red zone. Shouldn't high pointing a ball to a 6' 5" tight end be nearly automatic?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Damien Lewis is a guy I would like to see replaced. I sure hope that don’t try to resign him in the offseason. Weakest Link.

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks are a top 3 team for penalties this season . I couldn't find stats for red zone flags ; but false starts and holding penalties can't be helping in the red zone . Toss in a few sacks there too ; and they naturally have to settle for more field goal attempts . imo

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If the Seahawks ever threw the ball into the end zone on first down, I’d probably fall off the couch. They wait til third down when the defense is looking for it.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Yeah I'd love to see the Hawks just go full bully in the red zone. Under center, three TE sets and use Charbonnet or bring in Bellore as the FB and just run it down people's throats like the Niners and Eagles do.

Once you have even the slightest success doing that? It opens up a ton of misdirection and play action motion.
why not sprinkle this throughout the game?

Jesus - many people have been clamoring for 3TE sets and a better approach to the running game all season - and I'd LOVE to see more fullback type running plays - I know it's 'out of fashion' in the league and true fullbacks pretty much don't exist anymore - but shit. I'd love to see some power running. I wanna see some Mack Strong shit.

Weak ass runs for 1st and 2nd down have seemingly left us in far too many 3 and 7 or 8's all season. Now, I don't have stats on that - so, it's just like, my opinion.

That and more split back sets - with some misdirection - lots of other teams are doing that shit with success as far as I can see.

Run, run, long 3rd, failed pass - seems to be a summary of most of our offense to me - but I could be wrong - oh yea, and go route outside the numbers for DK on the left, and rinse and repeat with Tyler on the right side - but I digress......

hawkfan68

Reaction score
why not sprinkle this throughout the game?

Jesus - many people have been clamoring for 3TE sets and a better approach to the running game all season - and I'd LOVE to see more fullback type running plays - I know it's 'out of fashion' in the league and true fullbacks pretty much don't exist anymore - but shit. I'd love to see some power running. I wanna see some Mack Strong shit.

Weak ass runs for 1st and 2nd down have seemingly left us in far too many 3 and 7 or 8's all season. Now, I don't have stats on that - so, it's just like, my opinion.

That and more split back sets - with some misdirection - lots of other teams are doing that shit with success as far as I can see.

Run, run, long 3rd, failed pass - seems to be a summary of most of our offense to me - but I could be wrong - oh yea, and go route outside the numbers for DK on the left, and rinse and repeat with Tyler on the right side - but I digress......
Good points. I couldn't agree with you more regarding fullback usage. The Niners are #2 in redzone td pct this season. They have been using Kyle Juszczyk as their main FB since 2017. He's big part of what makes that offense tick. They had a successful rushing attack even before they traded for CMC. CMC just added more fuel to their already solid run game.

Separate from FB usage issue - I was looking through redzone td pct stats (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct) -
This season - The Seahawks are sitting at 47.92%. 28th ranked.
2022 - Seahawks were 48.28%. 27th ranked.
2021, the Seahawks had 64.58%. 3rd ranked.
2020 - the Seahawks were 73.68%. 3rd ranked.
2019 - the Seahawks were 64.62%. 5th ranked.

Each year, under Waldron, the redzone td pct is getting worse. He became the OC in 2021. Therefore, based on what the pattern is, it goes with what Maelstrom has been saying about Schotty and run game. The redzone stats confirm this. You can go back and review the redzone stats. The Schotty OC years have been when the Seahawks had the best numbers and ranking in that area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
But it’s a little unfair to compare Schotty and Waldron because they had different quarterbacks and Wilson was just flat out much better than Geno is. Different teams with different players

knownone

Reaction score
What are we using to determine red zone issues? The TD-only conversion rate is not overly helpful and tends to favor more aggressive teams on fourth downs. Think about it. If we want to maximize our efficiency in that metric, we'd never kick FGs because a made FG is the same negative outcome as a failed 4th down. That's why Arizona is 4th in RZ TD CR yet still has the 29th-ranked offense.

Seattle's about average in RZ attempts and total scoring per game, and they are right around 10th if you exclude the Niners and Ravens games. Not great. But I don't think this is as big an issue as many have made it out to be.

Scout

Reaction score
What are we using to determine red zone issues? The TD-only conversion rate is not overly helpful and tends to favor more aggressive teams on fourth downs. Think about it. If we want to maximize our efficiency in that metric, we'd never kick FGs because a made FG is the same negative outcome as a failed 4th down. That's why Arizona is 4th in RZ TD CR yet still has the 29th-ranked offense.

Seattle's about average in RZ attempts and total scoring per game, and they are right around 10th if you exclude the Niners and Ravens games. Not great. But I don't think this is as big an issue as many have made it out to be.

I agree but the Hawks have the best collection of WRs, and TEs not only in the NFC but also the NFL. Throw in a young promising RB room and they should be dominant in the red zone.

Lots of opportunities for jump balls, play action and 12 personnel using the TEs around the goal line.

This is 100% on Waldron IMO.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I agree but the Hawks have the best collection of WRs, and TEs not only in the NFC but also the NFL. Throw in a young promising RB room and they should be dominant in the red zone.

Lots of opportunities for jump balls, play action and 12 personnel using the TEs around the goal line.

This is 100% on Waldron IMO.
It’s not though. How you can remove execution? By Genos owns words he missed two touchdowns last game in the red zone because he was late getting the ball out. Is that Waldrons fault? Everyone plays a part.