refs gave us the win...

Status
Not open for further replies.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Whatever. He could have just let it go or picked it up. He barely touched it. He had options and I bet no one knew that rule. If it hits him in the leg it isnt an issue.

MrThortan

Reaction score
If they called the penalty and the Lions ended up winning, the headline would be, "Lions win on technicality".

Polaris

Reaction score
drdiags":28gahyb5 said:
KJ Wright is an idiot. Grab the damn ball unless you are worried Tate is going to take it out of your hands.

Or try to "fall" on the ball while moving to the end line of the endzone. Either KJ recovers or the ball goes out of bounds before a recovery is made. Either way is the same....and the ball was clearly going to make it out of bounds anyway.

The point is that this is all about a controversy that really should NOT be a controversy. In the opinion of the official on the spot, it was incidental, and honestly it was......that ball was going out of bounds anyway and that is the OFFICIAL's call to make.

Shame on ESPN and now the NFL for making a mountain out of a molehill and taking away emphasize from a terrific play by Chancellor.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I'll take that win every day of the week. It wasn't like KJ swatted the thing. BFD. With Lynch out and Jackson hurt in-game the Hawks found a way. If Megatron scores the Hawks still have 1:40 to score.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
At least people will get to bitch about something new this week, after a win. O-Line needs to get it together but I could use some new discussion that doesn't involve O-line/Bevell grinding. Maybe Cary Williams is finally off the goat hook.

Laloosh

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2fetyh0z said:
At least people will get to bitch about something new this week, after a win. O-Line needs to get it together but I could use some new discussion that doesn't involve O-line/Bevell grinding. Maybe Cary Williams is finally off the goat hook.

Didn't see the first half so I'm really curious to hear/see how Jordan Hill looked against the run.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
bmorepunk":21ndfcm0 said:

Well last week all we heard was that the Bears were going to go 0-16 so the 26 point shutout was nothing.

Then the Bears went out and won this week.

Oops.

Guess what, the Lions were a play away from playing Green Bay for the right to go to the NFC Championship last year.

They may be 0-4, but that is a talented football team we just beat.

Breathe people.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Mick063":csou5lh6 said:
I have not read the thread, so these points have probably been declared already:

The ball momentum would have carried the ball out without being tapped. There was no Lion within range to recover it or change the outcome of the game.

Even if Detroit gained possession, they would have still been behind. In other words, they would still have to score on that defense.

That call didn't mean crap.

Tend to agree. In basketball many fouls aren't called because there is no advantage to the contact that was made. I think the back judge saw the ball was going out either way, with no Lion in the zip code so he let it go. No advantage for the Seahawks, no penalty.

drdiags

Reaction score
So forgetting the missed penalty, why not recover the ball so the team's defensive stats increases? I understand the heat of the moment but passing on the recovery in hindsight doesn't make sense.

Laloosh

Reaction score
drdiags":3m92cf73 said:
So forgetting the missed penalty, why not recover the ball so the team's defensive stats increases? I understand the heat of the moment but passing on the recovery in hindsight doesn't make sense.

Not being aware of the rule, it makes sense to me. Why bother with the recovery if swatting it out results in a touchback and possession (which is what he thought). No point running the risk of mishandling it and DET somehow winding up w/ a TD in my opinion.

Polaris

Reaction score
drdiags":2t5omgtk said:

My best guess? I guess that KJ didn't know the rule either (I'm sure he knows now!) and thought that it would be a sure thing to get the TB rather than risk slowing the ball down by trying to fall on it and potentially bailing Detroit out.

That said, in hindsight, he should have tried to "grab" the ball "inadvertently" making it go out of bounds. If the replay showed that KJ was trying to grab at the loose ball, NONE of this would be an issue. [It shouldn't be anyway.]

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Honestly, i don't even care. We're 2-2 and the whole world will be crying about us and giving us attention for the next couple weeks.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
The back judge ruled it was "not overt", thus decided it would have been a ticky-tacky call to make. This will bring a heightened awareness to an obscure rule, though. There is no story other that what is being overly blown up. Even Jerry Austin admitted to Lewis, Dilfer, and Young that it was "plausible" that it was decided to be "not overt" and therefore not worth making that call.

If anyone has any issue, it should be with the back judge and not the Seahawks. But, even with the rules, there's subjectivity and interpretation. The Seahawks got the favorable call just like we would have had to admit the Lions had gotten the favorable call if the back judge had decided to make that call. Perhaps it was technically illegal, but it's not illegal unless it gets called (or unless ESPN hates your team and wants to cause a stir.)

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Refs miss calls all the time. I feel a lot less guilty seeing this "no call" go the Hawks way after seeing what the Packers Oline was allowed to do on nearly every play. Bad break for the Lions I guess, but would have to agree that the tap was inconsequential.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3jhxbfpf said:
The irony is that the regular refs got this one totally wrong. But the replacement refs got the Wail Mary call totally correct.

Bring back the replacement refs! This is egregious and must not be tolerated! :smilie=angry016.gif: :cussing: :beating: :enraged:

minormillikin

Reaction score
All the sports tabloid spinmeisters are making it seem like this was the last play of the game and that Detroit surely would have won the game had the play been flagged.

Based on how the Seahawks D was playing I'm not sure Detroit would have scored. It could have been a field goal to tie, or a turnover or maybe we let them score then win on the next drive. All sorts of things could have still happened.

kf3339

Reaction score
Well, it doesn't matter now.

But I bet every player in the NFL knows the rule now very clearly, and their coaches will make a point of it going forward.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Reaneypark":2hw9jbmv said:
I've watched football my whole life and have never seen that called a penalty. Ever! Such bullcrap to make this a big deal.

Agreed. It really had no affect on the play, so it's a good no call. If someone wanted to bring out the rulebook, it does appear to be an obscure rule that you can't do what KJ did. Would I call that getting 'robbed'? No way! The Lions (barely) lost that game on the field.

ivotuk

Reaction score
All the time we hear "The referees need to stop inserting themselves in to the game!" "Let the players play it out!"

When did it become "That referee should have made a different judgement on that call at full speed and been a deciding factor in the result of the game." ??

Status
Not open for further replies.