Remember these ugly ones??????

niveky

Reaction score
Easy wins all the time lead to complacency...that being said I would'nt mind more high octane wins between the humbling,ugly games. :)

253hawk

Reaction score
MVP53":1389hu3c said:
So, I guess the theme here today is that the Hawks won "ugly"?

Hmm, let's see how many other teams in the NFL won by 26 or more yesterday.....3 (Pats, Cards & Bills).

26 points is not an "ugly" win in the NFL.

48 games played so far this season and we have the only shutout. It's still the NFL and these are still the best of the best in the sport regardless of how 'bad' (a relative term) a team is. That's 95-28 against John Fox in the past 3 games...so I'll blame the coaching. Down 20 in the 4th quarter and still punting? Have some balls, man. He probably could have got at least a garbage time FG.

I think people are too caught up in fantasy crap and projecting their expectations. Russell is completing 70% despite a lot of drops, we're the second least-penalized team so far and the least on defense, we're on the plus side of 30 in TOP, second in defensive snaps and 1st downs allowed...but people still wanna complain. And oh, Kam is back. We could have very easily been 1-2 last year if not for the OT win against Denver. There's a lot of football left as the 9-1 Cards found out last year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except the year we had those ugly ones, we won them.

This year, we are losing the ugly games. Which means the single win against a really crappy opponent does not count for much, any more than shellacking the Jags would.

We have to get quality wins against quality opponents. That is the litmus test for a team that can at least compete in the playoffs.

Until that happens it really isn't reasonable to expect a portion of the fan base to be in the fence about our chances when we could only score a single TD against one of the worst teams in the league. No amount of arguing the hypotheticals is going to matter on this either, the only solution is for this team to chain together multiple wins against quality opponents or at least show some signs of a competent offense that does not rely on the other team to be completely gassed in the 4th to be effective.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":dk0py31a said:
Except the year we had those ugly ones, we won them.

This year, we are losing the ugly games. Which means the single win against a really crappy opponent does not count for much, any more than shellacking the Jags would.

We have to get quality wins against quality opponents. That is the litmus test for a team that can at least compete in the playoffs.

Until that happens it really isn't reasonable to expect a portion of the fan base to be in the fence about our chances when we could only score a single TD against one of the worst teams in the league. No amount of arguing the hypotheticals is going to matter on this either, the only solution is for this team to chain together multiple wins against quality opponents or at least show some signs of a competent offense that does not rely on the other team to be completely gassed in the 4th to be effective.

Um, what?

This thread was based on the Bears game, which we won.

Yeah, we lost an "ugly" game in St Louis, but we lost that game last year too.

We also lost ugly games to San Diego, Dallas and KC last year. We lost ugly games the year before as well.

So how, exactly, have things changed again?

Thanks

253hawk

Reaction score
Remember when we were 3-3 last year? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

CQGgXtgUsAA2D1

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
The OP was not a complaint about how the 'Hawks win, its simply a statement that many games are filled with missed plays and opportunities. After the way the '13 season wrapped up, I think many fans forgot about some of the wins that were ugly, more difficult than expected etc.

stizz19

Reaction score
Hawkpower":19j6rd7y said:
blkhwk":19j6rd7y said:
2013 Season

@ Carolina win, 12-7 get a late fumble recovery by ET deep in Carolina end to seal the win

@ Houston, trail 3-20 at the half & 6-20 after 3. Win in OT

Home vs. Tennessee. Trail 7-10 at the half, Tennessee was horrible too!

Home vs. Tampa. Trail 7-21 at half. Win in OT. TB was winless at the time

Home vs. Arizona. Lose 10-17. Sky was falling after this one!

Check out the link below and see how ugly a majority of the games were. 13-3 could have easily been 15-1 or 8-8.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... a/2013.htm

Just a little perspective to get you through the next 14 weeks!

So true.

Any win in the NFL is awesome. Its just how it is. No style points.

Plus thats just how the hawks roll. I dont like it, but back to back super bowl appearances tell me to shut up :)

Its always clear which fans here on .net have watched this team and the NFL for years....and which haven't.

Amen to that

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
I've been a 'Hawk fan since the 70's.

I am happy with any win. Which was the point of the OP. Each win needs to be celebrated, they are hard to get!

zhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1fkauzv0 said:
Fair point but we still went 12-1. Why do we have to win ugly? When do we take the next step? The last 3 seasons have been great but do we have to keep doing these holy crap games. More easy wins would be nice considering the talent on our team.

I seem to remember a team that won a super bowl pretty ugly last year, and everyone is lauding their greatness and masterful accomplishment. :pukeface:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Good point in the OP. We do have to keep things in perspective. But on the other hand, we'd be living in denial if we didn't admit that we have some serious obstacles that must be overcome before we can be considered contenders.

I also agree that Sunday's game was not winning ugly. We beat up on a very ugly team and did what was expected of us, at least in the second half.

canfan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1nkz3t7a said:
Fair point but we still went 12-1. Why do we have to win ugly? When do we take the next step? The last 3 seasons have been great but do we have to keep doing these holy crap games. More easy wins would be nice considering the talent on our team.

There is no "next step" after win! :p