Remember This is a Pete Carroll Team

Willyeye

Reaction score
Aside from the preseason, there is a game played annually called the Pro Bowl. Anyone ever watch it? I didn't think so, but for fans that do watch it, it's apparent that the players in that game don't play all out, balls to the wall football. Why? Probably because the game is not worth getting injured for.

Preseason is like that for veterans. Sure, back in 2012 and 2013, a lot of our current core players were still ACTUALLY COMPETING for starting positions, and they had to go all out. Why any fan would feel the need for our team to win these preseason games, even at the expense of getting injured, is beyond me. Look, the young guys battling to make the 53-man roster, they have no choice but to give 110% effort. If that's what you want for our star players/starters, you're being silly. This is NOT worth the risk...if we lose 5 or 6 starters to injury in the preseason, we WILL have a horrible season.

Just to make some insecure fans feel better, the team should take risks just to win a meaningless game? I'm sure the coaches don't want to show their hand on offense or defense in meaningless games. When Week 1 gets here, the team will not look the same as it did the last 2 weeks. We will be just fine!

Willyeye

Reaction score
kpak76":2i6kapjv said:
Sgt. Largent":2i6kapjv said:
TwistedHusky":2i6kapjv said:
So your way to assure us that this is no problem is to point out that last year we had problems in preseason too?

Because that is the same last year that we squeaked into a wildcard, only won by a fluke and then immediately lost the next week. Basically doing nothing in the playoffs except for a lucky win.

That kind of no problem?

No, it's to remind you that we've never really looked good in the pre-season, and for that matter the first part of any Pete Carroll seasons. When hasn't Russell and the offense looked average in the first part of the year?

Also last year our problems were different, they were Kam's holdout, Marshawn crying for more money again, Bennett crying for more money, and Russell's new contract distractions.

We have none of that this year, which tells me the team is again recommitted and focused on what matters. So sorry, I don't care about a pedestrian looking loss in pre-season...........because I don't question Pete anymore, he's earned my respect and trust when it comes to getting his teams ready to play.

Not true. Since Pete took over we have a .700 winning percentage in the preaseason. in '13 we were blowing people out the door and went 4-0 in preseason because our depth was starter quality talent. I guarantee you the players are pissed they lost. That being said, yea it's silly to panic about preseason games.

This entire comment is not meant for just you...it is more so meant as a reply to previous posters.

The Hawks in 2010 were 1-3; 2011- 2-2; 2012- 4-0; 2013- 4-0; 2014- 2-2; 2015- 2-2; 2016- 1-1. That's a 16-10 preseason record since Carroll became coach. That's a .615 winning percentage.

And I would disagree with your contention that we were blowing people out the door in 2013 preseason because of our depth, unless you consider TJ and C-Mike important depth in 2013 (the stars of the 2013 preseason), or that our #2 and #3 guys were only facing #2 and #3 guys. And in those blowouts, Russell didn't look very good against the Packers or the Chargers. And they only beat the Packers 17-10, and Russell had 0-TD's and 2- INT's. And in the 22-6 victory against the Raiders, Russell only threw 3 passes. In the 4 games that year, Russell had 2 TD passes, both of them against the Broncos, a team that didn't have a healthy or great defense in 2013.

And here's another glaring difference this year that shows the offense is on the vanilla plan...in 2 games, Russell doesn't even have one rushing attempt yet. They are clearly not concerned about using their #1 offense in an attempt to win games. I will concede that they have used Boykin to try to win games, but even then, I don't believe it's to actually win the game. I think it's more so that before Boykin is crowned backup QB, they wanted to see what he can do when facing comeback/clutch type of situations. Honestly, if the goal was to win, they'd let the #1 guys play the entire game, and they wouldn't sit guys like Kam and Bennett...even if Kam is not 100% healthy, if their intention was to win, I'm sure he could play.

To me, there simply is no evidence that their main goal is to win these games...accordingly, there is no reason to expect them to actually win. And as such, there is no reason to expect the players to give 110% effort or to risk life and limb on every play...nor is there any reason to expect them to use every play in the playbook. Save a little something for the regular season.

Latest posts