Remember when Frank punched Germaine?

Seafan

Reaction score
When Jaran Reed was a rookie Frank went after him on the sideline during a game. They ended up best friends.

This is much ado about nothing.

I think the trade was great. That doesn't mean I'm happy with the pass rush. I'm sure the Hawks aren't happy with the pass rush. By the end of the week it will be improved.

Pay RW, Wags and Reed. Trade Clark. Getting a 1st & 2nd was way better than I expected.

I'm happy. I will miss Frank. Go, Hawks!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
HawkGA":6rdsq7pl said:
As a complete side note, I am mildly embarrassed that "old man Sutz" is more down with internet acronyms than I am. Now I have to go Google IKR.

LOL glad I am not the only one. Damn you Steve. ;)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I suspect that Ifedi needed a message, and Clark sent that message, although he may have crossed a line in doing so. I have no proof, it's only a suspicion based on Ifedi's camp and game history, and the weird way this went down.

I've noticed that Ifedi has cleaned up his act ever since. Clark got the equivalent of 5 minutes for fighting in hockey.

Camp fights happen. Sometimes ugly things like this happen in camp. Not defending Clark, exactly. More just saying that Ifedi is the kind of guy who probably deserved it to some degree.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I forgot all about the punch until it was just brought up. Probably because it was no big deal.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Steve2222":vqqh3m69 said:
I forgot all about the punch until it was just brought up. Probably because it was no big deal.

That's the thing, some people react like this is trashing Frank, but it's not. This is an important part of the equation, and like mentioned above, it was probably part of the reason they traded him although I think his contract demands were the biggest reason.

And like also mentioned above, it's safe to wonder if Ifedi did provoke the whole thing.

I don't hold it against Frank, the kid had a tough upbringing and probably had to fight his way through life as a kid with an addicted mother. I know something about that kind of shit, and it leaves scars. The fact that he has come as far as he has only makes me admire the young man, because most people in that situation follow the example of their parents.

It's a vicious cycle, but he broke out of it. Good for him.

Chapow

Reaction score
jammerhawk":29wi7ge3 said:
Why there is a pathological need to slam every ex-team player with past history escapes me.

This.

jammerhawk":29wi7ge3 said:
I'm not sure of the need to colour Clark as anything other than an enthusiastic and effective team player who behaved well as Seahawks player.

And this.

I can't for the life of me figure out why a bunch of people here seem to all of a sudden harbor ill will or resentment towards Frank. He wasn't perfect, but he was a good player and a good teammate overall from everything I've heard.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I guess someone should go to the Lynch thread and start up some crap about how much a loser he is for having a incident a few years back also and how he is a lousy team mate and bad image because he didn't want to talk to the media.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
What really no one talks about is when Wilson ran over and cradled Ifedi and administrated Miracle Water to revive him and turn him into a serviceable lineman.

A-Dog

Reaction score
jammerhawk":nfxa78zz said:
Why there is a pathological need to slam every ex-team player with past history escapes me.

There isn't.

The Seahawks just traded Frank Clark. They chose not to make him the 3rd highest paid defensive player in the NFL and commit to him long term. There is completely relevant and current discussion and debate around whether that was the right choice and why or why not.

Why is Clark's behavior relevant to that discussion?

When an organization is choosing to make someone the 3rd highest defensive player in the league, commit to him long-term, and build the team around him, in my opinion you only do that for players who are either a) the best of the best, or b) true leaders who set an example and put the team first. Ideally when you give a player $100M+ they are both. In my opinion Frank Clark does not quite fit in to either category. He's not Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack from a talent/production perspective, and on the flip side he has established a pattern of poor decision making that disqualifies him from being a true leader.

Earl and Sherm fit in to category A when they got their 2nd contracts. Kam and KJ fit in to category B. Note that Kam and KJ got 3rd contracts and Earl and Sherm did not.

Russell and Bobby fit in to both. Russ got his 3rd contract and I fully expect Bobby to get his.

There is a reason Earl, Sherm, Bennett, and now Clark were never captains, despite being great players with incredible energy and big personalities. They don't fit category B. When Kam held out and the captaincy opened up, it was Bobby who took it over, not Earl, Sherm, or Bennett.

chris98251

Reaction score
A-Dog":2kv3uljh said:
jammerhawk":2kv3uljh said:

There isn't.

The Seahawks just traded Frank Clark. They chose not to make him the 3rd highest paid defensive player in the NFL and commit to him long term. There is completely relevant and current discussion and debate around whether that was the right choice and why or why not.

When an organization is choosing to make someone the 3rd highest defensive player in the league, commit to him long-term, and build the team around him, in my opinion you only do that for players who are either a) the best of the best, or b) true leaders who set an example and put the team first. Ideally when you give a player $100M+ they are both. In my opinion Frank Clark does not quite fit in to either category. He's not Aaron Donald or Khalil Mack from a talent/production perspective, and on the flip side he has established a pattern of poor decision making that disqualifies him from being a true leader.

Earl and Sherm fit in to category A when they got their 2nd contracts. Kam and KJ fit in to category B. Note that Kam and KJ got 3rd contracts and Earl and Sherm did not.

Russell and Bobby fit in to both. Russ got his 3rd contract and I fully expect Bobby to get his.

There is a reason Earl, Sherm, Bennett, and now Clark were never captains, despite being great players with incredible energy and big personalities. They don't fit category B. When Kam held out and the captaincy opened up, it was Bobby who took it over, not Earl, Sherm, or Bennett.

So Wilson setting a deadline, wanting to be the highest paid player in the league is putting the team first.

Yeah.

It's a business first. Clark played with two torn elbows last year and was a leader, if that's not putting team first I don't know what is.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":21nou0c5 said:
So Wilson setting a deadline, wanting to be the highest paid player in the league is putting the team first.

Yeah.

It's a business first. Clark played with two torn elbows last year and was a leader, if that's not putting team first I don't know what is.
He never said he wanted to be the highest paid player. His only demand was a deadline. He wanted that deadline so there wouldn't be a distraction with it during TEAM ACTIVITIES such as training camp, workouts, OTAs, and the regular season. If that doesn't say "team first" you're missing the point.

chris98251

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":2hxa84zy said:
chris98251":2hxa84zy said:

Yeah.

He never said he wanted to be the highest paid player. His only demand was a deadline. He wanted that deadline so there wouldn't be a distraction with it during TEAM ACTIVITIES such as training camp, workouts, OTAs, and the regular season. If that doesn't say "team first" you're missing the point.

Guess you missed the Jimmy Fallon interview.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":hgw2f0p6 said:
MD5eahawks":hgw2f0p6 said:
chris98251":hgw2f0p6 said:

Yeah.

Guess you missed the Jimmy Fallon interview.
WOW!
I don't know where in that interview you heard him express that as a demand but you may want to watch it again. You're better than that. I've read many of your posts. You know as well as I do that the Fallon interview sparked all kinds of rumors that blew up into untrue story lines.

And furthermore, if you think Clark playing with injury makes him a team player then what about Wilson playing most of a season with a knee brace and still winning games. Wilson always acknowledges teammates and their contributions, rarely, if ever, taking full credit for anything. That's not just team first, that's leadership.

https://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-sho...ponds-to-new-york-giants-trade-rumors/3924054

olyfan63

Reaction score
bigskydoc":uxnq75i5 said:
I suspect that Ifedi needed a message, and Clark sent that message, although he may have crossed a line in doing so. I have no proof, it's only a suspicion based on Ifedi's camp and game history, and the weird way this went down.

I've noticed that Ifedi has cleaned up his act ever since. Clark got the equivalent of 5 minutes for fighting in hockey.

Camp fights happen. Sometimes ugly things like this happen in camp. Not defending Clark, exactly. More just saying that Ifedi is the kind of guy who probably deserved it to some degree.

Largent80":uxnq75i5 said:
He's gone, case closed, but it was a TOTAL bitch move.

The scant available evidence suggests that Ifedi was doing career-endangering shit to Frank in the practice setting. Frank repeatedly beating him in pass-rushing matchups, and Ifedi being a little bitch and taking shots at Frank's knees. If that was the truth, and I believe it's probably the closest we have, is it a bitch move for Clark to protect his livelihood and send a clear message? Ifedi had a rep at the time as being a meathead. My money is on Clark having warned him and Ifedi ignoring the warnings. Frank saw the opportunity to send an unmistakeable message and he took it. Premeditated, calculating, and SMART. Clark is a SMART dude. Ifedi got the message. Clark keeps his knees intact and gets a $100M payday. Sounds like one smart dude to me.

Frank Clark is easily among the top 5 Seahawks successful draft picks in franchise history. We got 3+ years of excellent play and hard work on the cheap from him on his rookie contract. Then we get 1st round draft picks for him that help restock a nice large section of the talent cupboard.

Frank Clark was absolutely one of the top leaders on this team. Guaranteed, Pete and the coaching staff would love to keep him for the leadership qualities and example he sets. The ONLY reason Clark was dealt was because Seattle would need to give him a fair contract to keep him. Pete makes his living off MASSIVELY UNDERPAYING talented players, particularly on their rookie deals, and coaching them up and getting pro-bowl level play out of them. Giving Clark a fair contract... bad move for the team when you can get 3-5 guys on the cheap at positions of need in the draft. If just two of them stick with the tea and become key contributors, it's a huge win. And you still have 18 mil a year to go after other free agents.

A-Dog

Reaction score
A-Dog":3mteluhn said:
jammerhawk":3mteluhn said:

There isn't.

Smart move by the Hawks. KC did win a Superbowl though, so maybe it was a win/win.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
chris98251":175y08sv said:
Jesus people want these guys to decimate others and be competitive yet be a Pope as well, Kid was young and has a mouth and expresses himself in the moment. Ifedi isn't much different, they are 20 or 22 years old. I am sure all of you complainers had your shot together and never mouthed off or did anything stupid at that age since everyone that is snarky is perfect.

Also these guys are asked to ramp up aggression on a snap count and turn it off on a whistle, sometimes that switch gets stuck, sometimes the will to win a battle goes past a whistle. Before you complain about camp fights etc play the game and understand what they are doing.

That and those of you that want to get your panties in a wad bring this up again years after, must be a slow news day.
Yes they are. They get paid a lot of money to be able to shut it off esp with a teammate. If they can’t act like professionals then they shouldn’t be in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkinNY":28lc5l4i said:
chris98251":28lc5l4i said:
Jesus people want these guys to decimate others and be competitive yet be a Pope as well, Kid was young and has a mouth and expresses himself in the moment. Ifedi isn't much different, they are 20 or 22 years old. I am sure all of you complainers had your shot together and never mouthed off or did anything stupid at that age since everyone that is snarky is perfect.

Also these guys are asked to ramp up aggression on a snap count and turn it off on a whistle, sometimes that switch gets stuck, sometimes the will to win a battle goes past a whistle. Before you complain about camp fights etc play the game and understand what they are doing.

That and those of you that want to get your panties in a wad bring this up again years after, must be a slow news day.
Yes they are. They get paid a lot of money to be able to shut it off esp with a teammate. If they can’t act like professionals then they shouldn’t be in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, lets fire everyone that is competitive and aggressive, no out bursts, no celebrations, no complaining to coaches or officials, they have to shut it off remember and be in absolute complete control at all times as a 21 - 24 year old that has been taught to go 110 percent at all times, that ahs been told he is the golden child his whole life.

Right, some people are such hypocrites.

As I said, they are fine, don't like quit watching the game if it is morally challenging for you.

There should be some Disney on that fits your mentality.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The team needs more Frank Clark’s, wouldn’t be so god damn soft all the time.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Clark is 28 years old, making more that $20M a year, and has been arrested and charged with a felony.

The point here is that Clark had a history of poor decision making to a degree that hurts the teams he plays on, and that was likely a factor in the Seahawks not re-signing him to a huge contract.

Nobody is saying it's not a violent sport that encourages a degree of aggression. What I am saying is that Clark has been a knucklehead since before he was drafted and that has continued to this day.

For those who continue to bemoan the fact that we let him go, here's your reason why it was the right decision for the team.

Latest posts