Report: 49ers bracing for 6-8 game suspension for A. Smith

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Largent80":153kndj1 said:
NFL suspensions are a joke. Smith is a joke, the perfect couple.

He does all that shit and only 6-8 games?...Really?

Who gives a damn about the NFL. How about the breakdown in justice for celebrities.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Largent80":2ut2p0w0 said:

I would bet money that it isn't even 6-8 games. It depends on if Goodell recognizes them as different instances. In a way the trial having all cases combined could give the appearance of just one big screwup, when in reality they took place over a length of time. If Smith were to get 4 games per screwup after the first DUI he would get 16 games, but we know that isn't happening.

Hey, we all make mistakes... but how many of you would drink and drive while you have a DUI case pending?

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":31ylg7ps said:
Largent80":31ylg7ps said:

I would bet money that it isn't even 6-8 games. It depends on if Goodell recognizes them as different instances. In a way the trial having all cases combined could give the appearance of just one big screwup, when in reality they took place over a length of time. If Smith were to get 4 games per screwup after the first DUI he would get 16 games, but we know that isn't happening.

Hey, we all make mistakes... but how many of you would drink and drive while you have a DUI case pending?

DUI case wasn't pending. Had been settled long before.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":2zn1zma6 said:
loafoftatupu":2zn1zma6 said:
Largent80":2zn1zma6 said:

I could be very wrong here Marvin, but I saw that the guy was convicted for DUI x2 and illegal gun possession x3 in the same day.

He had a DUI charge, then got another one in the wreck. In any case, is it any more or less stupid?

It appears that he was charged by popo for twice the legal limit AND basic drunk driving. Didn't know he was that drunk!

His first arrest was about a year and a half earlier. No matter how you break it down, 1 flirtation with DUI is enough to deter doing again for a few DECADES not just a year and a half.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":mvrohrup said:
Marvin49":mvrohrup said:
loafoftatupu":mvrohrup said:
Largent80":mvrohrup said:

I could be very wrong here Marvin, but I saw that the guy was convicted for DUI x2 and illegal gun possession x3 in the same day.

He had a DUI charge, then got another one in the wreck. In any case, is it any more or less stupid?

It appears that he was charged by popo for twice the legal limit AND basic drunk driving. Didn't know he was that drunk!

His first arrest was about a year and a half earlier. No matter how you break it down, 1 flirtation with DUI is enough to deter doing again for a few DECADES not just a year and a half.

Don't get me wrong. Wasn't defending. Just clarifying.

As for that day...you don't know the half of it. He was so drunk he was asleep when he hit the tree. His foot was still on the accelerator when the owner of the house came out leaving a big pile of burnt rubber and a hole in the ground. He was DRUNK.

Not defendable. Unacceptable. He did his time in rehab because he needed it and he SAYS he hasn't had a drink since. Police at LAX said they thought he might have been drinking, but no proof of that and no accusation. IE, who knows.

All I can hope is that he's gotten it together. So far he's been the best player in camp and he's been crediting his conditioning to being sober.

We'll see.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Marvin49":290yngwo said:
loafoftatupu":290yngwo said:
Marvin49":290yngwo said:
loafoftatupu":290yngwo said:
Largent80 said:

Don't get me wrong. Wasn't defending. Just clarifying.

As for that day...you don't know the half of it. He was so drunk he was asleep when he hit the tree. His foot was still on the accelerator when the owner of the house came out leaving a big pile of burnt rubber and a hole in the ground. He was DRUNK.

Not defendable. Unacceptable. He did his time in rehab because he needed it and he SAYS he hasn't had a drink since. Police at LAX said they thought he might have been drinking, but no proof of that and no accusation. IE, who knows.

All I can hope is that he's gotten it together. So far he's been the best player in camp and he's been crediting his conditioning to being sober.

We'll see.
What angers me is that for anyone else that would have been an aggravated DUI, which is a felony. But because he's a famous football player, they slap his wrist and let him walk.

Of course, I'm completely incapable of being objective about drunk drivers. Have watched too many young children die in surgery or be sentenced to life in a wheelchair because some drunk piece of garbage thought it was okay to drive hammered. In my opinion, the first DUI should be an automatic prison sentence. Because it is the same as blindly firing a gun into a residential neighborhood. Maybe you kill someone, maybe you don't, but the disregard for human life is horrific and inexcusable.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The other thing that is interesting is what happened to the marijuana that police say they recovered from Smith's car in the police report? A rumor circulated shortly after his arrest that Smith has a medical marijuana card that would allow him to possess marijuana legally in CA.

That is just one of many issues that RG will need to investigate because they went unanswered without the benefit of a trial. Also, was Smith drunk when he was arrested for threatening to have a bomb at the airport? Is is true that he only discharged his gun once at the house party that left Smith stabbed and two people shot? What are his associations with the gang members who were at his house? Smith is the definition of a repeat offender, and there may be more skeletons in his closet that have not been uncovered yet.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1shs7ei6 said:
The other thing that is interesting is what happened to the marijuana that police say they recovered from Smith's car in the police report? A rumor circulated shortly after his arrest that Smith has a medical marijuana card that would allow him to possess marijuana legally in CA.

That is just one of many issues that RG will need to investigate because they went unanswered without the benefit of a trial. Also, was Smith drunk when he was arrested for threatening to have a bomb at the airport? Is is true that he only discharged his gun once at the house party that left Smith stabbed and two people shot? What are his associations with the gang members who were at his house? Smith is the definition of a repeat offender, and there may be more skeletons in his closet that have not been uncovered yet.

That was a false report. The police said soon after he arrest that there was no marijuana found in the car.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":2x5obym9 said:
hawknation2014":2x5obym9 said:

That was a false report. The police said soon after he arrest that there was no marijuana found in the car.

Link?

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":8jvvrcpn said:
Marvin49":8jvvrcpn said:
hawknation2014":8jvvrcpn said:

Link?

I'm on my phone at the moment. Once I'm in front of a PC I'll see if I can find it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Yeah. It was a false report. It was reported on, then it wasn't. They just made it up and then said "no.. we're just kidding".

Just like Brooks didn't smash anyone with a beer bottle. When the local magistrate won't touch the players, there is no point in arresting them.

"All rise" (Judge Edwina Ciccella DeBartolo enters courtroom)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":29wpy5xe said:
I'm on my phone at the moment. Once I'm in front of a PC I'll see if I can find it.

It starting to look a lot like he had the weed, but that it wasn't charged, not misreported.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":o8fmdj5f said:
Marvin49":o8fmdj5f said:

It starting to look a lot like he had the weed, but that it wasn't charged, not misreported.

I see how it can look that way, but I remember a report in the days just after that the police said there wasn't any weed.

It may have been a tweet. I'll look.

It actually doesn't really matter all that much as I think the DUI was FAR, FAR worse than having weed. I only mentioned it because I remembered the report and it answered his question.

If they DID find the weed, I don't see any reason they wouldn't have charged him with it. Its not like they didn't throw the book at him on the gun charges. It wasn't until it got before the judge that the charges were reduced. The DA didn't do him any favors.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":3p3wacq3 said:
The DA didn't do him any favors.

They didn't throw the book at him. A tweet??? LOL. Funny, I can find tons of information on the finding of weed, but nothing about it not being there. I completely agree on the severity, I don't care about players and weed. Ridiculous.

There was no citation for switching the license plates.

There was no charge for purchasing the guns. If you look, it is a CA law that you can't purchase guns to bring into CA. In AZ it is not illegal to purchase the firearms he did, but the second Smith bought them across it was a felony x3.

They charged Smith with a few crimes, but ultimately it won't be relevant until the next occurance.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":xl5wl772 said:
loafoftatupu":xl5wl772 said:
Marvin49":xl5wl772 said:

I see how it can look that way, but I remember a report in the days just after that the police said there wasn't any weed.

It actually doesn't really matter all that much as I think the DUI was FAR, FAR worse than having weed. I only mentioned it because I remembered the report and it answered his question.

If they DID find the weed, I don't see any reason they wouldn't have charged him with it. Its not like they didn't throw the book at him on the gun charges. It wasn't until it got before the judge that the charges were reduced. The DA didn't do him any favors.

Didn't the DA wait a year before even filing charges and then only did so because of public pessure? Seems more like the DA was trying to look the other way than not doing him any favors. I'm not sure how you can spin this to not think Aldon is very lucky. This could have been 10 times worse and probably with his history, should have been.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1v05w0c9 said:
Marvin49":1v05w0c9 said:
loafoftatupu":1v05w0c9 said:
Marvin49":1v05w0c9 said:

Didn't the DA wait a year before even filing charges and then only did so because of public pessure? Seems more like the DA was trying to look the other way than not doing him any favors. I'm not sure how you can spin this to not think Aldon is very lucky. This could have been 10 times worse and probably with his history, should have been.

Not trying to spin it that way. He was VERY lucky in the way the judge treated him. The DA tho didn't give him any deals, charged him for everything and Aldon ended up pleading No Contest to everything.

The one year thing....yeah...dunno what's up with that. I've read that very often that people in similar circumstances don't get charged at all because the guns were found in a search of the house after Aldon himself had been the victim of a stabbing.

So much so, that the Sherrifs dept invited him to a charity gun event at a gun range AFTER the incident. Then the public had an issue, the sheriffs dept said he was a victim that night, and then all of the sudden he was facing 3 felony charges.

So...yeah....the DA folded to public pressure there. The question tho is if they folded because they were giving him celeb treatment and got called on it or if they were giving him treatment they'd give anyone in that circumstance and folded to public pressure because they didn't want to APPEAR to be giving preferential treatment.

I have no idea which one is the case and I know which version will be argued here. The whole thing seems fishy to me tho because all of the sudden the DA charged him almost a year later, He WOULD NOT deal, made sure to publically declare Aldon got no preferential treatment and plead no contest to the sheet....and then the judge reduced everything.

It sounded to me almost like the DA was grandstanding to make HIMSELF look better.

Who knows tho. I guess it doesn't really matter now.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The DA was holding out for another luxury box in Levi's. The one from the Brooks case was up from the visitor sideline.

Hey, this kind of stuff happens everywhere, not just Santa Clara. Having the illegal guns is a crime in CA. It doesn't matter when or if they charged him. I know that in reading lightly a lot when into whether the search was legal because the scene of the party and assault had not been established.

In any case, I wouldn't expect much different in most places. It just happened to be in Frisco this time. Charity event? If you have millions you can get invited to any charity event. Especially if you are a registered gun owner.

I think the celebrity thing has more to do with tax revenue locally than anything. If they are treated harshly the celebrity can move elsewhere and pay his 7 figure tax bill. The local government doesn't want that.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":3kz59i6i said:
I have no idea which one is the case and I know which version will be argued here. The whole thing seems fishy to me tho because all of the sudden the DA charged him almost a year later, He WOULD NOT deal, made sure to publically declare Aldon got no preferential treatment and plead no contest to the sheet....and then the judge reduced everything.

It sounded to me almost like the DA was grandstanding to make HIMSELF look better.

I can see the DA not wanting to look soft, that would be consistent, but I can also see him not wanting to deal. Aldon had nothing to deal. The case was hard as a rock. The only deal to be made was the no contest plea in that it means automatic leniency. I just wonder why the judge waited to reduce the wobblers to misdemeanor crimes until AFTER the finding. He could have switched it right there.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Anybody else get the sense that Marv and Loaf will be vacationing together at some point? They've been inching closer and closer to being BFFs.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1isvio0x said:
Marvin49":1isvio0x said:

I can see the DA not wanting to look soft, that would be consistent, but I can also see him not wanting to deal. Aldon had nothing to deal. The case was hard as a rock. The only deal to be made was the no contest plea in that it means automatic leniency. I just wonder why the judge waited to reduce the wobblers to misdemeanor crimes until AFTER the finding. He could have switched it right there.

No doubt the whole process is suspect. It is possible that the law suits that came out after the investigation shed light on information not prevously available.