Report: AP has been indicted on negligent injury to a child

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1wim49c4 said:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 7s
Vikings announced they have deactivated RB Adrian Peterson.

Oh hey look the Vikings did what the 49ers AND the Panthers refuse to do....

Lxx

Reaction score
the breaking news shouldn't be that AP hit his kid, it should be that AP actually acknowledged they exist.

I wonder if you asked him to say the names of all his kids what would he say

Yoonhawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3m84w3my said:
Blitzer88":3m84w3my said:

But what about due process????? :roll:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":leniv6rp said:
hawk45":leniv6rp said:
Marvin49":leniv6rp said:
As a father, those pictures are tough to look at.

Uh...me too, and I am okay with spanking, and if there's raised skin or slight bruising I wouldn't be up in arms.

Those marks show that the switch broke the skin in places. I can tell you beating a kid until they are cut and bleeding, even minor cuts, has no place in my parenting arsenal. The report said there were many cuts on the kid, on his hands too.

I'm not okay with that. If I'm a Mom who sent her 4 year old son to his Dad's for a measly visit and he came back like that I would shake with anger for days.

Agreed. Between the pics and the account of where the boy was struck, Peterson went too far in my opinion.

EDIT: This makes it even worse:

@getnickwright: It should be understood that the photographs that some have published & I have possession of were taken at least a week after incident.

I'm not sure that the pics being later makes it worse. Wounds often look far worse when healing. That being said, they are definitely bad.

What I think makes it worse is something I just read in a new article:

[urltargetblank]http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/[/urltargetblank]

According to this article, his switch to bare skin whoopings were a regular occurrence and he said similar marks were left on some of his other children so he doesn't think he did anything wrong.

I can understand getting carried away once, but this is looking like the norm for him. I may rescind my probation statement and look for him to do a little time.

Definitely needs to be handled swiftly by the NFL. When a man says he didn't do something, there is plenty of just cause for the NFL to let the legal process run it's course. In this case though, he's admitted to what he did, but doesn't believe it was wrong. In this instance Goodell needs to be swift in his punishment. Anything less than the 6 games in the new policy would be a farce IMO as the facts stand in the above article

hawk45

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1cst94al said:
Blitzer88":1cst94al said:

You know...I am generally one to say hey I know it's a violent game, you give these kids a ton of money and leeway and of course they act out, I watch for the football.

Right at this moment though the sick feeling in my gut is creeping out a little bit to the NFL as a whole. It's not rational maybe, but I feel not that great about watching games, and if it was a player on our team I would be disgusted with them and then a bit with myself for turning it on Sunday.

I typed the above before seeing that the Vikes deactivated him, and them stepping up and doing the right thing makes me feel a whole lot better. That is how you handle this crap. Makes me root for the Vikes.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
This is so bizarre. Guessing AP plea deals this down to community service and probation and the NFL hands a 4 game suspension with time served for Vikings internal discipline.

(Oh and hooray fantasy football picks!)

Polaris

Reaction score
I'm no Vikings fan by a long chalk, but thank goodness a franchise is willing to step up and do the right thing. Deactivating AP (their most important player) sends a message but doesn't punish or cut the pay of AP, but it's an entirely appropriate first step until enough of the facts are in for further action.

The Carolina Panthers and San Fransisco 49ners should take note.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":dhue09h7 said:
This is so bizarre. Guessing AP plea deals this down to community service and probation and the NFL hands a 4 game suspension with time served for Vikings internal discipline.

The Vikings (so far as I know) are only deactivating him. That still means he gets a game check and he can still be on the sideline for the game.

Goodell's latest policy is a minimum of 6 games suspended and it can be worse if children are involved. I don't see how, after the entire Rice debacle that the commissioner can even attempt anything less than 6 game suspension for Peterson.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1wmhxdve said:

I think prior to the Rice thing it might have played that way, but I'm not so sure now. The Grand Jury didn't indict the first time around, there's speculation that the Rice attention led to an indictment this time. That DA will have paid attention to the DA in Rice's situation. The NFL will have paid attention (Roger certainly as his job is being called for).

I think the DA plays hardball and the NFL tacks something on to whatever the Vikes do.

Also think it might not be appropriate to hoot about fantasy football at this exact moment Sarlacc and I'm sorry if that's Pollyanna of me.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how the public reaction plays out. Seems that most people agree that Peterson was in the wrong, but it hasn't had the same explosive reaction that Ray Rice got as of yet. Knowing Goodell, his ruling will be a barometer of public outrage.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I've been whooped before and learned solid life lessons as a result, but you just can't do that anymore. There are non-physical ways to make a four-year-old figure out how to stop acting poorly. Just don't let him have dessert for like a week, and each night, as everyone gets dessert but him, remind him why he is currently going cookie-less. Stick to it, and you have a perfectly socially conditioned child!

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":2gz4h1ni said:
Sarlacc83":2gz4h1ni said:

I think prior to the Rice thing it might have played that way, but I'm not so sure now. The Grand Jury didn't indict the first time around, there's speculation that the Rice attention led to an indictment this time. That DA will have paid attention to the DA in Rice's situation. The NFL will have paid attention (Roger certainly as his job is being called for).

I think the DA plays hardball and the NFL tacks something on to whatever the Vikes do.

Honestly I think the Vikings only deactivated him so they can discuss with the league what to do moving forward. There are CBA rules in place having to do with team and league punishments for the same offense, so I think the deactivation just allows for time to get their ducks in a row to hand down one punishment before next weeks game

hawkstrap

Reaction score
My granny used to give me the same whoopin'

I am going to sue her for all she's worth. A crochet afghan, some used slippers and a velvet Elvis tapestry

Polaris

Reaction score
kidhawk":1olkk8h4 said:
Sarlacc83":1olkk8h4 said:

The Vikings (so far as I know) are only deactivating him. That still means he gets a game check and he can still be on the sideline for the game.

Goodell's latest policy is a minimum of 6 games suspended and it can be worse if children are involved. I don't see how, after the entire Rice debacle that the commissioner can even attempt anything less than 6 game suspension for Peterson.

All true, but I think what the Vikings are doing is entirely appropriate and fair. There are some issues and aspects of the AP case that bug me (and by the modern standards of Child Abuse, my parents would have been serial molesters.....I misbehaved at times and that earned at least a spanking...sometimes with a belt), but I've also seen the pictures. That tells me that there is a lot we don't know yet, but the appearences are bad.

I consider what the Vikes have done to be the equivalent of 'suspension with pay' for most other walks of life. It won't cost him pay but it does get the message across. Again, good for the Vikes.

hawk45

Reaction score
kidhawk":39qsk1f3 said:
hawk45":39qsk1f3 said:
Sarlacc83":39qsk1f3 said:

Honestly I think the Vikings only deactivated him so they can discuss with the league what to do moving forward. There are CBA rules in place having to do with team and league punishments for the same offense, so I think the deactivation just allows for time to get their ducks in a row to hand down one punishment before next weeks game

You make a good point.

Still they took reasonable punitive action at this early stage and they took it quickly. It's a feather in their cap IMO.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Polaris":1dkcv1nz said:
I consider what the Vikes have done to be the equivalent of 'suspension with pay' for most other walks of life. It won't cost him pay but it does get the message across. Again, good for the Vikes.

I agree, this was the best move the Vikings could make. They acted swiftly, and in light of the evidence and AP's own admissions, they really had little other recourse. What will be most interesting now is how Goodell handles this. Is he going to let it play out in the courts or act swfitly?

hawk45

Reaction score
kearly":2b8zafi3 said:
I'm curious to see how the public reaction plays out. Seems that most people agree that Peterson was in the wrong, but it hasn't had the same explosive reaction that Ray Rice got as of yet. Knowing Goodell, his ruling will be a barometer of public outrage.

I wasn't online the instant the Rice thing exploded but on PFT they have a bazillion comments in 2 seconds after they post an update. It seems pretty explosive to me. Parents are going to go bananas I think on those pictures. I'm 10x as upset as I was about the Rice thing, gruesome as that was (n=1 sample size I realize).

If reaction to those pictures isn't explosive I may vomit.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
This happened in May btw...how did it take THIS LONG for all of it to come out...MAY???? Thats a long time ago. But anyway it will be interesting to see what will come of it...even if the nfl doesnt hand down any punishment at least the vikings didnt wait for the courts to decide and did something about it.

Latest posts