Report: Donte Whitner to Browns when FA begins

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":2npz451c said:
I think SF is sitting at $14 million in cap space right now, but they still have to sign their draft picks and various minor free agents, and then you have the Kaepernick extension looming. Also, Boldin's cap hit this year is very small compared to his cap hit in 2015, so while their budget right now technically isn't super-tight, it's about to be. That means, as Marvin says, they pretty much have to go the draft route in the secondary. Which kinda sucks for them, this is an epic free agency for elite secondary talent if you have money to blow. And the draft? One of the weaker drafts for secondary prospects of the last few years.

The good news for the 49ers is that they've been an elite defense with average at best secondary play for most of the Harbaugh tenure, so unless their secondary becomes complete shit, they should be fine so long as their monster front seven keeps getting the job done. It's a very similar situation to Carolina and nobody is forecasting doom and gloom for the Panthers' defense.

Its actually about 16.6 mil because they designated Rogers as post June 1 release, but pretty much correct on all other counts.

Looks like they are signing Antoine Bethea BTW. My guess is they get one in the draft as well.

amill87

Reaction score
Solid move by the Niners. Buys them a couple years to find a good young SS

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm going to be honest with you. As overrated as they probably were, I'm not going to miss seeing Whitner and Goldson leveling dudes twice a year. (I know Goldson left last year.) The Niners might get better coverage play from their new safeties, but there's going to be something lost.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":kz3duymr said:
I'm going to be honest with you. As overrated as they probably were, I'm not going to miss seeing Whitner and Goldson leveling dudes twice a year. (I know Goldson left last year.) The Niners might get better coverage play from their new safeties, but there's going to be something lost.

Yeah, I'll miss Whitner as an enforcer back there, but I won't miss the BS Personal Fouls he got called for and was never fined for.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
So, the Niners just signed S Antoine Bethea and are paying him $6.5M/yr...

Why didn't they just pay the extra $500K for Whitner?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I'm gonna miss Whitner trying to intimidate Marshawn and get in his head and failing though. That was always pretty funny to me.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":16hy4ai8 said:
So, the Niners just signed S Antoine Bethea and are paying him $6.5M/yr...

Why didn't they just pay the extra $500K for Whitner?

My guess is the deals are structured differently. Only a guess though.

Total $$$ really means nothing. Guaranteed money is the big one.

Mizak

Reaction score
So the 49ers went on a Secondary purge. Last year they lost Goldson and this year they have lost Whitner and possibly Rogers and Brown as well? ROFL 8) 8) 8) 8)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Mizak":2ky10ggi said:
So the 49ers went on a Secondary purge. Last year they lost Goldson and this year they have lost Whitner and possibly Rogers and Brown as well? ROFL 8) 8) 8) 8)

Losing Rogers has to be an addition by subtraction.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3h9j40xb said:
Mizak":3h9j40xb said:

Losing Rogers has to be an addition by subtraction.

Yeah he was really only good his first year there. Ever since they gave him the money for his extension it's been all downhill for him.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't get Shitner. Why do that? Cleveland is wretched and a place that ruins careers. Maybe he realizes that Cleveland has a better shot at winning the division than the Niners do. :)

But seriously... if winning at all matters, the guy should have worked with SF on his salary.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2kx8j8yk said:
I don't get Shitner. Why do that? Cleveland is wretched and a place that ruins careers. Maybe he realizes that Cleveland has a better shot at winning the division than the Niners do. :)

But seriously... if winning at all matters, the guy should have worked with SF on his salary.
He did take the W out of his name. Maybe he hates W's?

Dtowers

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2nud2pfp said:

Isn't he from the Cleveland area? He mentioned "Going home" on twitter.