Report: Jim Harbaugh's act has 'worn thin' with 49ers

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":171r5jwm said:
My first thought on this story: This is what Harbaugh gets for treating the local media like crap. I wouldn't doubt there are some bay area journalists who would be fine with covering a worse 49ers team if it meant not having to deal with Hardouche anymore. The story originates from a SF area journalist. It is too harmful to simply chalk up as a reporter going for a routine inside scoop, I sense other motivations at work.

5_Golden_Rings":171r5jwm said:
Still, this is most certainly bullshit strewn across the internet either as a FU to Harbaugh for being a jerk to the media or as an opportunistic attempt to capitalize on the media circus of the Browns attempt to trade for him. Nothing more. Few people please everyone. This is just over-exaggerated hype flying on the coattails of the Browns attempt to trade for Harbaugh.

We had the same thought about the media.

But given Harbaugh's history as an NFL QB, his history at Stanford, the Browns trade report, the numerous documented cases of dysfunction with Baalke, the overly passionate and demonstrative negative sideline demeanor... seems like there is a lot of smoke right now, no? True or not, it is hard to dismiss this report out of hand. Numerous other coaches have lost jobs despite fantastic success because they were disliked internally.

If I was a 49ers fan I think I'd actually want Harbaugh traded at this point, because at least if you trade him right now you'd get a ton coming back. Then turn around and steal away Dan Quinn from Seattle to be your new HC. You do that, and the headaches are gone, and the losses minimal. And you kick your hated rival in the nuts while doing it. What I would be afraid of as a 49ers fan is a scenario where Harbaugh leaves in 2015 or 2016 with little to no compensation. And right now that scenario is looking less and less unlikely by the day.

As far as the trade rumor, I believe the official version of the story that Harbaugh thought it over and said no. I believe it. I also believe that had he said yes, he'd be in Cleveland as fast as possible.

I'd love to be able to just ignore this report the way I did with Kawakami's....

....but the problem I have with that is that I actually have a lot of respect for Anne Killion. She isn't a beat writer for the 49ers, but she is a very good sports journalist. There could very well be some "media revenge" going on, but it would be much easier to believe that if this were one of the Cohns or Kawakami. I have to be honest...this coming from Killion makes me nervous.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Good on you for not trying to just talk it away, Marvin. (Oh no, now Throwdown thinks I'm a 49ers fan!)

I guess time will tell how much truth is behind these reports.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2qhlzuxy said:
Good on you for not trying to just talk it away, Marvin. (Oh no, now Throwdown thinks I'm a 49ers fan!)

I guess time will tell how much truth is behind these reports.

LOL.

Yeah, my issue before was really that I have no respect for Kawakami. It would be like Skip Bayless reporting. Killion is a different animal.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Marvin49":mcscpp06 said:
kearly":mcscpp06 said:
My first thought on this story: This is what Harbaugh gets for treating the local media like crap. I wouldn't doubt there are some bay area journalists who would be fine with covering a worse 49ers team if it meant not having to deal with Hardouche anymore. The story originates from a SF area journalist. It is too harmful to simply chalk up as a reporter going for a routine inside scoop, I sense other motivations at work.

5_Golden_Rings":mcscpp06 said:
Still, this is most certainly bullshit strewn across the internet either as a FU to Harbaugh for being a jerk to the media or as an opportunistic attempt to capitalize on the media circus of the Browns attempt to trade for him. Nothing more. Few people please everyone. This is just over-exaggerated hype flying on the coattails of the Browns attempt to trade for Harbaugh.

We had the same thought about the media.

But given Harbaugh's history as an NFL QB, his history at Stanford, the Browns trade report, the numerous documented cases of dysfunction with Baalke, the overly passionate and demonstrative negative sideline demeanor... seems like there is a lot of smoke right now, no? True or not, it is hard to dismiss this report out of hand. Numerous other coaches have lost jobs despite fantastic success because they were disliked internally.

If I was a 49ers fan I think I'd actually want Harbaugh traded at this point, because at least if you trade him right now you'd get a ton coming back. Then turn around and steal away Dan Quinn from Seattle to be your new HC. You do that, and the headaches are gone, and the losses minimal. And you kick your hated rival in the nuts while doing it. What I would be afraid of as a 49ers fan is a scenario where Harbaugh leaves in 2015 or 2016 with little to no compensation. And right now that scenario is looking less and less unlikely by the day.

As far as the trade rumor, I believe the official version of the story that Harbaugh thought it over and said no. I believe it. I also believe that had he said yes, he'd be in Cleveland as fast as possible.

I'd love to be able to just ignore this report the way I did with Kawakami's....

....but the problem I have with that is that I actually have a lot of respect for Anne Killion. She isn't a beat writer for the 49ers, but she is a very good sports journalist. There could very well be some "media revenge" going on, but it would be much easier to believe that if this were one of the Cohns or Kawakami. I have to be honest...this coming from Killion makes me nervous.
It should but why should we care? Be honest..Who's your Daddy?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":9ksdtuxy said:
Most of us have commented that once the Niners start to lose it will begin to unravel quickly. Only the most blind Niners fans would deny this.

This is not news.

As for CK--that TD throw to Boldin in the NFC Championship game should silence ALL doubters about his ability to play QB in this league. He may be the QB of my most hated team and be an utter douche...but the kid has skills, no doubt.

But see, he takes too many chances. He tries to do too much. Until he learns what Steve Young learned (and talked about before), that the job of the QB isn't to make the team win or make plays, but it's to allow other guys to make the team win, he's going to always be a wild card (strange that Wilson was born with this...).

rigelian":9ksdtuxy said:
5_Golden_Rings":9ksdtuxy said:
Nope, nope nope, for the most part.

This is members of THE MEDIA finally "getting back" at Harbaugh for being short with them all the time. To be sure, it's his just rewards. You reap what you sow. But I can assure you, any "douche-y-ness" Harbaugh exhibits is vastly overshadowed by being the only coach ever to get to three straight conference championships in his first three years, and this was done with nearly the same roster that went 6-10 the previous year. So basically, while I think this particular report is bullshit, that there is probably ONE player who doesn't like him (and it's probably someone on their way out due to cap concerns), for the most part winning cures all evils.

Could you please explain how you're in a position to assure anyone of this? I'm curious, do you have better access to the 49er players, Harbaugh or the front office than the press? But at a more basic level, what makes you think that this report is bs? Is it a feeling in your gut? Do you possess some unique ability to sniff out douche-y-ness?

Just curious.

I have as much access as most of these press people writing these articles do. Nearly EVERYTHING they see, we all see, because they REPORT it. Except hard to define sources, because that allows for the ability of the writer to make that source say what he or she needs them to say to fit with the direction of their article (oh, do you still believe in integrity in journalism? lol).

As to why I think it's b.s., it's based on several things.

(1) The way the team acts on the film we see in the locker room.
(2) The way Harbaugh has treated the media.
(3) The VERY COMMON tendency for members of the media to turn a one-drop-an-hour leak into a World Wide Flood for the purpose of getting MONEY from AD REVENUE acquired from website hits.
(4) The VERY COMMON tendency for journalists to twist the truth in hopes of furthering their career or getting recognition.
(5) The recent history of the team. LAST TIME the players had a problem with the coaches it was very well known because they didn't try to hide it. You watch some of Alex Smith's interviews during the losing streak of 2010 and you can tell by body language, terseness of response, etc etc, not to mention the very visible mutiny on the sideline with Vernon Davis when Singletary tried to bench Smith. These guys aren't shy. There are only two possibilities: either it's overblown bs, or the players tolerate annoying things the coach does because the team is winning.
(6) Brandon Jacobs, twiter. LaMichael James, twiter. These guys don't keep their mouths shut when they are upset.

Did this journalist show us any direct quotes? No? It was all VAGUE AND EASY TO TWIST INTERPRETATION? Any details on WHAT "inside knowledge" means? No? Any details on HOW that "inside knowledge" was acquired? No? Oh my, what a surprise...

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Har ... 281408.php

If you know anything about persuasive writing (which is what that article was), you know that often times certain licenses are taken for the purpose of making One's argument. The details on this "inside source" were deliberately left vague to make that source seem more weighty. "From what I've been told" instead of "I was told directly by someone." Do you think that was accidental? No. It was on purpose, because of the particularly goal of the writer in her argument. For all we know this "inside source" is Baalke's wife.

If this is enough to convince you then I have a bridge to sell you.

E.C. Laloosh":9ksdtuxy said:
5_Golden_Rings":9ksdtuxy said:

This is members of THE MEDIA finally "getting back" at Harbaugh for being short with them all the time. To be sure, it's his just rewards. You reap what you sow. But I can assure you, any "douche-y-ness" Harbaugh exhibits is vastly overshadowed by being the only coach ever to get to three straight conference championships in his first three years, and this was done with nearly the same roster that went 6-10 the previous year. So basically, while I think this particular report is bullshit, that there is probably ONE player who doesn't like him (and it's probably someone on their way out due to cap concerns), for the most part winning cures all evils.

Isn't it about time to change your name to "5_really_old_rings"?

(a) This is off topic.

(b) It's REALLY pathetic. This isn't the smack shack, but are you kidding me? One. ONE? Come back when you win two consecutive NFC West crowns with this newly improved division before you start talking crap about a franchise's STORIED HISTORY.

(c) I've been on THIS forum 3 years longer than you, Mr. BANDWAGON JUMPER.

I get it, you're new. But just so you know, there is a forum for trash talking. Let me link you to it:

viewforum.php?f=23

There ya go, bandwagon. That's where you talk trash here. Enjoy.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Not going to get in the middle of this but just because someone joined a forum a year ago doesn't make him a bandwagon jumper, been a fan since allen bought the team, didn't find this place until last year

but I'm not gonna get in between this, just gonna enjoy the back and forth that's about to ensue :snack:

davidonmi

Reaction score
also Kaepernick is not a great quarterback yet, but no one will deny he has the tools to be great, right now he's around 10 or 12 in my rankings, but can mature into being great someday. Any thinking that Kaepernick will bust out or isn't a very good QB is wishful. Although that is something all fanbases do, 49er fans do it with Wilson all the time

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
285ab65de2841eca57813309e9795aa092d2debd85a2c3b04c836bec4adb878d_large

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of discrediting of the reporters putting this out. Marvin being the exception right now. I've also seen multiple names thrown out as on the Niners ttusted list. My quest ion is this. If there wssn't some serious merrit to this wouldn't someone from that trusted list have spoke up on the Niners. Behalf? I mean wouldn't that be the biggest story of all right now?

I think the silence of that trusted list is speaking as loud as any report coming out right now.

Really if it were just false snd slanderous wouldn't the Niner organization welcome interviews to disvredit the reports?

Subzero717

Reaction score
@5 gold Gosh Im starting to sound like a Kap fanboy. I hear what your saying on the chances but its those chances that beat Caro, GB and had them in the NFCCG against us. He turned the ball over and took the blame for the loss. I call BS. He is the only reason you guys were in it.

The Radish

Reaction score
One big thing I see,,,where the hell would he go now? Aren't all the coaching jobs filled?

I don't like Jim Harbaugh's persona but agree he's really improved over the last couple of seasons. He now answers questions in after game interviews calmly and clearly. I give him credit for that.

He most times takes the blame for losses. I can't hate the guy coaching wise because he's a damned fine coach and we all know it.

I really think the media is feeing its ownself rather than really quoting facts. I just don't see any more coaching changes this season. But if I'm wrong I'll gracefully admit I was wrong.

My biggest sadness is having both of these teams in the same division. I'm sure I'd like the ninnirs to be somewhere else and only have to play them in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure a lot of ninnir fans would love for the Seahawks to be somewhere else where its a lot warmer. lol

:les:

amill87

Reaction score
I see this year as being the make it or break it year for Harbaugh. Pretty soon we gotta start talking about him kinda like Peyton Manning. He is fantastic in the regular season and will always give you a shot in the playoffs but just can't finish.

Some of this isn't his fault. As already stated in this thread, Kaepernick is a complete wild card. I don't like Kaepernick and would not want him as my QB because it is just as likely for him to do something amazing as it is for him to do something to lose the game.

But pretty soon, the Niners are gonna start losing players just like the Seahawks. They are gonna lose coaches. They are going to have to commit to Kaep and he is going to become a bigger part of it they win or lose. This is a bit extreme but is it likely for Kaep to be able to carry that team for a whole season with a lesser supporting cast?

When that time comes, how much slack will Harbaugh continue to get? What if they start finishing 3rd or even 4th in the division? Suddenly everything good he stands for, becomes a negative.

Off topic....

But c'mon man...

5_Golden_Rings":167wvwkc said:
(b) It's REALLY pathetic. This isn't the smack shack, but are you kidding me? One. ONE? Come back when you win two consecutive NFC West crowns with this newly improved division before you start talking crap about a franchise's STORIED HISTORY.

The Niners haven't even won two consecutive NFC West crowns since the Hawks have had a winning record.

The guy said it because let's face, a lot of Niner fans threw that in our face over and over and over and over. Just because he has recently joined an INTERNET FORUM doesn't mean he is a bandwagon fan.

You sir, got trolled and got trolled hard.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Where the hell does 5_Golden_Rings get off whining about someone talking smack? Look at your username, hypocrite. Your very presence on this forum is trolling and combative with that username. You aren't allowed to whine despite being a fan of the 49ers.

rigelian

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1k30sxsy said:
Trenchbroom":1k30sxsy said:
Most of us have commented that once the Niners start to lose it will begin to unravel quickly. Only the most blind Niners fans would deny this.

This is not news.

As for CK--that TD throw to Boldin in the NFC Championship game should silence ALL doubters about his ability to play QB in this league. He may be the QB of my most hated team and be an utter douche...but the kid has skills, no doubt.

But see, he takes too many chances. He tries to do too much. Until he learns what Steve Young learned (and talked about before), that the job of the QB isn't to make the team win or make plays, but it's to allow other guys to make the team win, he's going to always be a wild card (strange that Wilson was born with this...).

rigelian":1k30sxsy said:
5_Golden_Rings":1k30sxsy said:

Could you please explain how you're in a position to assure anyone of this? I'm curious, do you have better access to the 49er players, Harbaugh or the front office than the press? But at a more basic level, what makes you think that this report is bs? Is it a feeling in your gut? Do you possess some unique ability to sniff out douche-y-ness?

Just curious.

I have as much access as most of these press people writing these articles do. Nearly EVERYTHING they see, we all see, because they REPORT it. Except hard to define sources, because that allows for the ability of the writer to make that source say what he or she needs them to say to fit with the direction of their article (oh, do you still believe in integrity in journalism? lol).

This I seriously doubt. In fact you confirm that you don't. What you see is what they report. They don't report everything they see or hear. Unless you have some close friends in 49er management, or a player or the coaching staff---I doubt you have anything near the same access. The fact that you think you do is kind of odd in my opinion. One other thing---most reporters have little interest in making stories up, what they have are theories based on incomplete information. Where they tend to get into trouble is when they tailor the information they're gathering to fit their already pre-conceived theory. As for integrity, I think you're showing your on pre-conceived bias. Some of them have integrity, some of them don't. It's the nature of any profession. Do you have any information that suggests that Ann Killion lacks integrity? That would be far more useful information.

As to why I think it's b.s., it's based on several things.

(1) The way the team acts on the film we see in the locker room.
(2) The way Harbaugh has treated the media.
(3) The VERY COMMON tendency for members of the media to turn a one-drop-an-hour leak into a World Wide Flood for the purpose of getting MONEY from AD REVENUE acquired from website hits.
(4) The VERY COMMON tendency for journalists to twist the truth in hopes of furthering their career or getting recognition.
(5) The recent history of the team. LAST TIME the players had a problem with the coaches it was very well known because they didn't try to hide it. You watch some of Alex Smith's interviews during the losing streak of 2010 and you can tell by body language, terseness of response, etc etc, not to mention the very visible mutiny on the sideline with Vernon Davis when Singletary tried to bench Smith. These guys aren't shy. There are only two possibilities: either it's overblown bs, or the players tolerate annoying things the coach does because the team is winning.
(6) Brandon Jacobs, twiter. LaMichael James, twiter. These guys don't keep their mouths shut when they are upset.

Let me start off with items

(1): You see only one small portion of what the team looks like in the locker room. An extremely small portion. As an example, no one outside of the Dolphins or Dolphin insiders had a clue what was going on in the Dolphin locker room. Certainly fans didn't.
(2) Observing the way Harbaugh interacts with the media is a double-edged sword. It both suggests that some members in the media may have it in for him and also suggests that Harbaugh may lack the diplomatic skills necessary to negotiate within a complex organization.
(3) Declaring something COMMON doesn't make it so. It goes back to what I was saying about pre-conceptions. You seem to have some about journalists. The question I have for you again---do you have any information that suggests that this journalist in particular engages in such behavior. Absent that---it's no more than your own prejudice.
(4) (See 3 above)
(5) The phrase "wears thin" suggests an accumulative effect. Players may tolerate behavior for awhile, but in the long run it may lead to revolt.
(6) Brandon Jacobs blasted Harbaugh when it was pretty clear that he wasn't getting any playing time. The same is true of LMJ. Of course you look at this and suggest there must not be any problem because no one has blasted Harbaugh---and yet you cite two examples.

Did this journalist show us any direct quotes? No? It was all VAGUE AND EASY TO TWIST INTERPRETATION? Any details on WHAT "inside knowledge" means? No? Any details on HOW that "inside knowledge" was acquired? No? Oh my, what a surprise...

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Har ... 281408.php

If you know anything about persuasive writing (which is what that article was), you know that often times certain licenses are taken for the purpose of making One's argument. The details on this "inside source" were deliberately left vague to make that source seem more weighty. "From what I've been told" instead of "I was told directly by someone." Do you think that was accidental? No. It was on purpose, because of the particularly goal of the writer in her argument. For all we know this "inside source" is Baalke's wife.

If you know anything about persuasive writing, deliberately vague information makes something less weighty not more weighty. Vagueness weakens not strengthens arguments. This is especially true when the notion is expressed in the passive voice. I could speculate on why it was expressed this way---a statement made on background when the source is defining how it will be attributed, e.g., "don't quote me directly", the source speaking to someone else and not directly speaking to the reporter. There are a myriad of explanations. One of which would be the one you would reach about it possibly being Baalke's wife. But then again your conclusion is hardly surprising given items #3 and #4 above.

If this is enough to convince you then I have a bridge to sell you.

Convince? Nope, rule out---absolutely not. Then again, I'm not claiming the story is BS. That's your gig. I will say this, given the reports coming from multiple articles I'm starting to believe that this story is more likely than not to be true.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Looking more and more like after this coming season that it'll be a choice between Baalke and Hardouche.

I heard on I think it was NFL Live last week that people at Stanford said "he's crazy" and that they were not kidding but truly meant that he really is not all there upstairs.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
@5rustyrings what is your definition of "newly improved division?" If you can't remember (you probably can't because you were rooting for the Raiders at the moment) we won the NFC West four years in a row from 2004-2007 seasons.

You're probably thinking of the past three years (conveniently) since the 9ers have been relevant again. It's nice you want to throw out a section of recent history in the NFC West (particularly when the 9ers blew ass) to prove your point about the 9ers STORIED HISTORY DERPINESS. Way to pick and choose what's relevant.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, the Seahawks did win the NFC West with a 7-9 record four years ago; so I think his newly improved depiction starting with when the 49ers became relevant again is accurate.

...Damnit, JG, why did you make me defend his position? :34853_doh:

:thfight7:

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2t1ltwj9 said:
Well, to be fair, the Seahawks did win the NFC West with a 7-9 record four years ago; so I think his newly improved depiction starting with when the 49ers became relevant again is accurate.

...Damnit, JG, why did you make me defend his position? :34853_doh:

:thfight7:

My point is how stupid it is that he's saying "LOOK AT OUR STORIED HISTORY, as long as you skip over a 16 year time period, SO YOU CAN RESPECT HOW GOOD WE WERE DECADES AGO AND NOW THAT WE'RE RELEVANT."

Latest posts