Report: Jim Harbaugh's act has 'worn thin' with 49ers

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3a4k42s7 said:
I've seen a lot of discrediting of the reporters putting this out. Marvin being the exception right now. I've also seen multiple names thrown out as on the Niners ttusted list. My quest ion is this. If there wssn't some serious merrit to this wouldn't someone from that trusted list have spoke up on the Niners. Behalf? I mean wouldn't that be the biggest story of all right now?

I think the silence of that trusted list is speaking as loud as any report coming out right now.

Really if it were just false snd slanderous wouldn't the Niner organization welcome interviews to disvredit the reports?

In case you missed it, toward the bottom of the last page I linked to Kevin Lynch confirming that over the last year he has heard the same thing that Killion reported.

Edit: Here --

Popeyejones":3a4k42s7 said:
At the top of this piece Kevin Lynch says he has heard some of the same things over the last year: http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/03/02 ... -harbaugh/

Not that I doubted before, but definitely some validity to it, IMO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3lkezhpv said:
285ab65de2841eca57813309e9795aa092d2debd85a2c3b04c836bec4adb878d_large
Cash money GIF right there! :th2thumbs:

hoxrox

Reaction score
Marvin49":rwsw9gym said:
....but the problem I have with that is that I actually have a lot of respect for Anne Killion. She isn't a beat writer for the 49ers, but she is a very good sports journalist. There could very well be some "media revenge" going on, but it would be much easier to believe that if this were one of the Cohns or Kawakami. I have to be honest...this coming from Killion makes me nervous.

Agree with this. This type of story doesn't leak out of that locker room unless someone in the 49er hierarchy wants it to leak. I don't buy the media revenge angle. That would be petty on the journalist's part.

At this point, I am pretty certain that Harbaugh is on a short leash. I would be surprised if they extend him this offseason to a lengthy contract.

What needs to happen now for the 49ers is an outstanding draft, and a SB victory. Otherwise, once the losses start stacking, everything could unravel in 9er land. :snack:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Marvin49":2qxm1s82 said:
kearly":2qxm1s82 said:
My first thought on this story: This is what Harbaugh gets for treating the local media like crap. I wouldn't doubt there are some bay area journalists who would be fine with covering a worse 49ers team if it meant not having to deal with Hardouche anymore. The story originates from a SF area journalist. It is too harmful to simply chalk up as a reporter going for a routine inside scoop, I sense other motivations at work.

5_Golden_Rings":2qxm1s82 said:
Still, this is most certainly bullshit strewn across the internet either as a FU to Harbaugh for being a jerk to the media or as an opportunistic attempt to capitalize on the media circus of the Browns attempt to trade for him. Nothing more. Few people please everyone. This is just over-exaggerated hype flying on the coattails of the Browns attempt to trade for Harbaugh.

We had the same thought about the media.

But given Harbaugh's history as an NFL QB, his history at Stanford, the Browns trade report, the numerous documented cases of dysfunction with Baalke, the overly passionate and demonstrative negative sideline demeanor... seems like there is a lot of smoke right now, no? True or not, it is hard to dismiss this report out of hand. Numerous other coaches have lost jobs despite fantastic success because they were disliked internally.

If I was a 49ers fan I think I'd actually want Harbaugh traded at this point, because at least if you trade him right now you'd get a ton coming back. Then turn around and steal away Dan Quinn from Seattle to be your new HC. You do that, and the headaches are gone, and the losses minimal. And you kick your hated rival in the nuts while doing it. What I would be afraid of as a 49ers fan is a scenario where Harbaugh leaves in 2015 or 2016 with little to no compensation. And right now that scenario is looking less and less unlikely by the day.

As far as the trade rumor, I believe the official version of the story that Harbaugh thought it over and said no. I believe it. I also believe that had he said yes, he'd be in Cleveland as fast as possible.

I'd love to be able to just ignore this report the way I did with Kawakami's....

....but the problem I have with that is that I actually have a lot of respect for Anne Killion. She isn't a beat writer for the 49ers, but she is a very good sports journalist. There could very well be some "media revenge" going on, but it would be much easier to believe that if this were one of the Cohns or Kawakami. I have to be honest...this coming from Killion makes me nervous.

Nah, not media revenge, not from her (the "media revenge" is from all the sharks pouncing on it, if it exists: if not that, it's simply because Harbaugh is such a juicy media topic).

More like she wanted something to help support her general thesis in her article, and something vague like that works perfectly.

Who do you trust more? Killion or Anquan Boldin?
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... m-harbaugh
Anquan Boldin + article":2qxm1s82 said:
"I don't think there's any rift between players and coaches, particularly Coach Harbaugh," Boldin said, via the San Jose Mercury News. "He has good rapport with all the guys I know of. There's no gripes in the locker room when it comes to Coach Harbaugh. He wants to win and everybody in the locker room wants to do the same. We're usually on same page and if not, we have it where we can talk to him and he can talk to us."

A report by the San Francisco Chronicle on Sunday suggested that there was a rift in the 49ers locker room.

"One source with inside knowledge of the team says that Harbaugh's act has worn thin in the locker room, particularly among some key 'face of the 49ers' type players. While the team is winning, that's not a problem. But a few losses could expose a widening rift."
The irony here is that Boldin blames the rift on the media and the fact the media has nothing to write about in the offseason.

"At this time of the year, people grab at whatever," Boldin said. "Football season is not here so they'll do whatever they can to write, and a lot of it is far-fetched, has nothing to do with football and the team."

He's not exactly known for lacking in integrity. Whilst doing a mission trip in Africa he was told he was traded, and he was traded because to him if you agree to a contract, you should stick to it (the Ravens wanted to get out of the contract they signed). That is a man of integrity, and he's a PLAYER in this locker room. I'd say his words carry SIGNIFICANTLY more weight.

JGfromtheNW":2qxm1s82 said:
@5rustyrings what is your definition of "newly improved division?" If you can't remember (you probably can't because you were rooting for the Raiders at the moment) we won the NFC West four years in a row from 2004-2007 seasons.

You're probably thinking of the past three years (conveniently) since the 9ers have been relevant again. It's nice you want to throw out a section of recent history in the NFC West (particularly when the 9ers blew ass) to prove your point about the 9ers STORIED HISTORY DERPINESS. Way to pick and choose what's relevant.

I believe that our division now is so much better than any division the league has seen in more than a decade that winning it twice in a row now carries more weight than back in the past. The last time this division was even half as good we still had the Falcons and Saints.

Now, anyway, I only brought up "storied history" because that new dude decided to inserts smack talk out of the proper location. Someone needed to explain it, and surely no Hawk fan was about to.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Many league and media insiders believe that, if the 49ers and coach Jim Harbaugh don’t work out a long-term extension this offseason, Harbaugh could be gone after the 2014 campaign ends.

Harbaugh isn’t among those who believe that.

“Zero opportunity or chance of that in my mind,” Harbaugh told Michael Rosenberg of SI.com regarding the possibility that he’ll leave during the final two years of his five-year contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... two-years/

hoxrox

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3lhosgty said:

I don't think there's any rift between players and coaches, particularly Coach Harbaugh," Boldin said, via the San Jose Mercury News. "He has good rapport with all the guys I know of. There's no gripes in the locker room when it comes to Coach Harbaugh. He wants to win and everybody in the locker room wants to do the same. We're usually on same page and if not, we have it where we can talk to him and he can talk to us."

A report by the San Francisco Chronicle on Sunday suggested that there was a rift in the 49ers locker room.

"One source with inside knowledge of the team says that Harbaugh's act has worn thin in the locker room, particularly among some key 'face of the 49ers' type players. While the team is winning, that's not a problem. But a few losses could expose a widening rift."
The irony here is that Boldin blames the rift on the media and the fact the media has nothing to write about in the offseason.

"At this time of the year, people grab at whatever," Boldin said. "Football season is not here so they'll do whatever they can to write, and a lot of it is far-fetched, has nothing to do with football and the team.

He's not exactly known for lacking in integrity. Whilst doing a mission trip in Africa he was told he was traded, and he was traded because to him if you agree to a contract, you should stick to it (the Ravens wanted to get out of the contract they signed). That is a man of integrity, and he's a PLAYER in this locker room. I'd say his words carry SIGNIFICANTLY more weight.

Of course he's going to say good things about their situation right now. He just resigned with the team.

Alex Smith obviously didn't like the way he was benched. Gore at one point wondered why they weren't running the ball more. (I agree with Gore; your team might have won more games if Harbaugh didn't get away from the power running game during that losing streak). LaMichael James complained about not having more playing time. We've heard about Brandon Jacob's issues with the coach. Even Boldin, before he resigned, questioned why the NFC championship game ended the way it ended when there were time outs left with 3 more downs to go...

The embarrassing sideline antics that players have had to defend as "passionate" and "competitive." The "awkward" team high-fiving after wins as players described in an interview. The "who could possibly have it better that us" rallying cry that's supposed to bind the team together, when deep down, the players know better...

And of course, we know the history with Baldwin and Sherman.

This all points back to the coach. If he wins, things are fine in 9er land, if he doesn't... look out.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
This whole thing boils down to the fact that we won a Superbowl on our first try with Pete Carroll and that San Francisco has been a poor imitation of Jim Kelly's Buffalo Bills with more than a good chance of Seattle matching 1990's Dallas and 2000's New England.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hoxrox":356g8pum said:
5_Golden_Rings":356g8pum said:

I don't think there's any rift between players and coaches, particularly Coach Harbaugh," Boldin said, via the San Jose Mercury News. "He has good rapport with all the guys I know of. There's no gripes in the locker room when it comes to Coach Harbaugh. He wants to win and everybody in the locker room wants to do the same. We're usually on same page and if not, we have it where we can talk to him and he can talk to us."

"At this time of the year, people grab at whatever," Boldin said. "Football season is not here so they'll do whatever they can to write, and a lot of it is far-fetched, has nothing to do with football and the team.

Of course he's going to say good things about their situation right now. He just resigned with the team.

Alex Smith obviously didn't like the way he was benched. Gore at one point wondered why they weren't running the ball more. (I agree with Gore; your team might have won more games if Harbaugh didn't get away from the power running game during that losing streak). LaMichael James complained about not having more playing time. We've heard about Brandon Jacob's issues with the coach. Even Boldin, before he resigned, questioned why the NFC championship game ended the way it ended when there were time outs left with 3 more downs to go...

The embarrassing sideline antics that players have had to defend as "passionate" and "competitive." The "awkward" team high-fiving after wins as players described in an interview. The "who could possibly have it better that us" rallying cry that's supposed to bind the team together, when deep down, the players know better...

And of course, we know the history with Baldwin and Sherman.

This all points back to the coach. If he wins, things are fine in 9er land, if he doesn't... look out.

Right...but doesn't it say something that he WANTED to remain with the team?

I dunno. I tend to believe him. Starting to think this "wearing thin" thing is overblown.

Marvin49

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":26v61pb6 said:
This whole thing boils down to the fact that we won a Superbowl on our first try with Pete Carroll and that San Francisco has been a poor imitation of Jim Kelly's Buffalo Bills with more than a good chance of Seattle matching 1990's Dallas and 2000's New England.

Well Buffalo won 4 straight conference crowns. The 49ers haven't done that. If anything they are the Eagles.

Lots of teams have won one championship. Don't start crowing yourself a dynasty just yet. There is a reason there have only been like 5 of them in NFL history.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'll crown us a dynasty if we win three Super Bowls in the next decade.

If we manage to win three in a row, I'm calling us the greatest dynasty ever. What would your response to that be, Marvin? Should the (unthinkable for you and 30 other team's fans) Seahawks be the first hat trick champion team ever? Relax, I'm not expecting it, it'd be incredibly hard to do; but if it does, is it fair to call us the greatest dynasty ever despite not yet having 4-5 trophies in one era at that point, since nobody has ever threepeated?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Marvin49":11mfz4tv said:
MizzouHawkGal":11mfz4tv said:

Well Buffalo won 4 straight conference crowns. The 49ers haven't done that. If anything they are the Eagles.

Lots of teams have won one championship. Don't start crowing yourself a dynasty just yet. There is a reason there have only been like 5 of them in NFL history.

You dont get it. All of our players are going to sign lower contracts than they are worth because they love each other and our GM is capable of getting them to ignore their agents so they can stay here and we can win fifteen championships in a row so they can all go down in history as the greatest team of all time and twenty years after that no one will remember their names but they will have SB rings they can sell on ebay to support themselves.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Marvin49":iv6v639y said:
Right...but doesn't it say something that he WANTED to remain with the team?

I dunno. I tend to believe him. Starting to think this "wearing thin" thing is overblown.

He has 9 million guaranteed reasons to want to remain with the team.

He's getting up there in age. Besides maybe the Ravens, I don't know many other teams that would pay Boldin that much right now. He's a huge need for your team and Boldin knows that's where he'll get the most money.

I'll give Harbaugh a little credit for lobbying successfully to keep him on the team though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":hanmzj7b said:
Marvin49":hanmzj7b said:
MizzouHawkGal":hanmzj7b said:

You dont get it. All of our players are going to sign lower contracts than they are worth because they love each other and our GM is capable of getting them to ignore their agents so they can stay here and we can win fifteen championships in a row so they can all go down in history as the greatest team of all time and twenty years after that no one will remember their names but they will have SB rings they can sell on ebay to support themselves.

:D

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7zb7t2fw said:
I'll crown us a dynasty if we win three Super Bowls in the next decade.

If we manage to win three in a row, I'm calling us the greatest dynasty ever. What would your response to that be, Marvin? Should the (unthinkable for you and 30 other team's fans) Seahawks be the first hat trick champion team ever? Relax, I'm not expecting it, it'd be incredibly hard to do; but if it does, is it fair to call us the greatest dynasty ever despite not yet having 4-5 trophies in one era at that point, since nobody has ever threepeated?

If the 'hawks win 3 before 2020, that's a dynasty. No prob admitting that. Of course a threepeat would be huge.

Many teams though have tried and failed. Dolphins, Steelers (twice), Pats, Broncos, 49ers, Cowboys, and Packers.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I don't expect us to do it. Just sayin', it's a possibility. As long as we keep drafting like we have been, we will be able to sustain some good success at a minimum without having to rely on a ton of expensive guys after their rookie deals. Not something to count on, but obviously we've been drafting exceptionally well ever since the Pete Carroll & John Schneider regime started.

If we do manage to pull off the hat trick, though, I think I'm paying Aros to make me a custom ThreePete pic. :lol:

kearly

Reaction score
The Radish":1fbhkcwv said:
One big thing I see,,,where the hell would he go now? Aren't all the coaching jobs filled?

Jerry Jones is currently paying Jason Garrett millions of dollars to be a seat warmer. So that's one place. :)

RolandDeschain":1fbhkcwv said:
I don't expect us to do it. Just sayin', it's a possibility. As long as we keep drafting like we have been, we will be able to sustain some good success at a minimum without having to rely on a ton of expensive guys after their rookie deals. Not something to count on, but obviously we've been drafting exceptionally well ever since the Pete Carroll & John Schneider regime started.

If we do manage to pull off the hat trick, though, I think I'm paying Aros to make me a custom ThreePete pic. :lol:

A dynasty feels expected. A three-pete would be amazing. But what I really covet? "23-0". I'll settle for 19-0 if I have to.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Marvin49":3njccg8o said:
MizzouHawkGal":3njccg8o said:

Never claimed it just said we have a better than average chance to win 2-3 more Superbowls in the next 5-10 years.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3tclqw0z said:
......If we manage to win three in a row, I'm calling us the greatest dynasty ever.....
The 1960s Packers would disagree with you..... five championships in seven seasons....'61, '62, '65, '66 and '67 and those last three making them the only team in NFL history to win 3 championships in a row.

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2sf93pt3 said:
RolandDeschain":2sf93pt3 said:
......If we manage to win three in a row, I'm calling us the greatest dynasty ever.....
The 1960s Packers would disagree with you..... five championships in seven seasons....'61, '62, '65, '66 and '67 and those last three making them the only team in NFL history to win 3 championships in a row.

That was also a different era. When players played most if not their whole careers with one team.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I am not expecting any 3 Pete's, but I would be down with another in the next 3 years. That stuff just doesn't happen these days. If anyone is set up to do it the Hawks are, but SO many factors are involved.

If the Hawks get another while Harbaugh is still with the Whiners I will be more than satisfied.

Latest posts