Report: McDowell may never play again ( more speculation)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
kidhawk":2lb1cuju said:
Pie Romania":2lb1cuju said:
kidhawk":2lb1cuju said:
Pie Romania":2lb1cuju said:
I see two possible reasons they may not be disclosing what exactly is wrong. 1.) Injuries far worse potentially than has been let on and they still want to figure out just how extensive they are before verbally acknowledging it; Potential career-ending on one end of the scale. 2.) Suffered fairly significant injury to his man-parts and don't want to add insult to injury by telling the world (on top of any facial or other injuries). Not saying the second suggestion is actually the case, but hypothetically speaking, I could see this course of action for such an injury.

By only seeing those two reasons, does that mean you are totally discounting the reason that Pete stated when he said that the player (and family) have requested privacy, and the team has chosen to honor that request? To me, it's not a stretch that a players coach like Pete would honor such a requested not withstanding that the team is likely legally obligated to do so.

No. The player requesting privacy on the matter could actually be used to further a case for option #2. Again, not saying either of these is the case, but all we have is speculation at this point. These are merely what make the most sense to me given what little we know and how he injured himself in the first place.

The point is, Pete has stated that he isn't talking about it per request, not due to any attempt by the team to hide the level of severity of the injury.

Honestly, until he's playing football, his condition is really none of the public's business (IMO). He's inactive and we (as a team) have games to play.

Maybe it is none of the publics business but it is odd that the injury is being kept a secret even if it is at the families request. I would think the family would want to come straight out with it instead of having fans and pundits sensationalizing rumors.

Also we know it was an ATV accident, why wasn't that kept a secret? I would find that embarrassing considering he wasn't wearing a helmet which shows a high degree of irresponsibility. Another thing is, if this is a possible career ending injury and is a priority to keep the situation so hush hush why was he back so fast to training camp? None of his teammates are going to ask him what happened? The whole thing is very strange.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Frankly the Capt Obvious comment was uncalled for. We should be able to disagree w/o resoprting name calling.

This thread should be closed and/or joined to the other albeit lengthy specualtive thread about McDowell.

RW92

Reaction score
HawkerD":3gbx89tt said:
The lack of information, the secrecy, the obfuscation, and the ambiguity of the the release statements all add up to something (smoke+ash+flames I guess fire). If all he had was a concussion, information would likely be released. To say it is anything other than a horrific, life altering injury is just sticking your head in the sand. Of course it is speculation; we don't have any facts except how it generally occurred. But it is speculation based on how the situation is being handled by the team and the family and comparing it to how similar events around the NFL have been handled in the past. To say this is anything close to normal is being dishonest.

You're absolutely correct. it is obvious how the Hawks are being so surreptitious about everything from day one with this accident. Hey John Schneider didn't win this one. But it appears for now that he has made a substantial come back by
signing Mr. Richardson. Hey things happen in life. The most important thing is that he didn't die or seriously injure anyone else from what we know. So with that being said I wish him the best with his life and future endeavors. Time to move on.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Frankly the Capt Obvious comment was uncalled for. We should be able to disagree w/o resoprting name calling.

This thread should be closed and/or joined to the other albeit lengthy specualtive thread about McDowell.

Seafan

Reaction score
RW92":2amr4nlb said:
HawkerD":2amr4nlb said:
The lack of information, the secrecy, the obfuscation, and the ambiguity of the the release statements all add up to something (smoke+ash+flames I guess fire). If all he had was a concussion, information would likely be released. To say it is anything other than a horrific, life altering injury is just sticking your head in the sand. Of course it is speculation; we don't have any facts except how it generally occurred. But it is speculation based on how the situation is being handled by the team and the family and comparing it to how similar events around the NFL have been handled in the past. To say this is anything close to normal is being dishonest.

Hey John Schneider didn't win this one.

Schneider didn't lose this either. JS can't be considered responsible for this accident. As far as a loss is concerned the whole team, community and 12th Nation lost this.

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2xro6qhe said:
kidhawk":2xro6qhe said:
Pie Romania":2xro6qhe said:
kidhawk":2xro6qhe said:
By only seeing those two reasons, does that mean you are totally discounting the reason that Pete stated when he said that the player (and family) have requested privacy, and the team has chosen to honor that request? To me, it's not a stretch that a players coach like Pete would honor such a requested not withstanding that the team is likely legally obligated to do so.

No. The player requesting privacy on the matter could actually be used to further a case for option #2. Again, not saying either of these is the case, but all we have is speculation at this point. These are merely what make the most sense to me given what little we know and how he injured himself in the first place.

The point is, Pete has stated that he isn't talking about it per request, not due to any attempt by the team to hide the level of severity of the injury.

Honestly, until he's playing football, his condition is really none of the public's business (IMO). He's inactive and we (as a team) have games to play.

Maybe it is none of the publics business but it is odd that the injury is being kept a secret even if it is at the families request. I would think the family would want to come straight out with it instead of having fans and pundits sensationalizing rumors.

Also we know it was an ATV accident, why wasn't that kept a secret? I would find that embarrassing considering he wasn't wearing a helmet which shows a high degree of irresponsibility. Another thing is, if this is a possible career ending injury and is a priority to keep the situation so hush hush why was he back so fast to training camp? None of his teammates are going to ask him what happened? The whole thing is very strange.

I thought I was following this pretty closely, and never heard he was not wearing a helmet for sure. Would you mind telling us where you heard that information please?

HawkerD

Reaction score
kidhawk":2rg2dnax said:
HawkerD":2rg2dnax said:

This situation is different than most that have come before it. We are talking about a guy who has never taken an actual NFL snap yet. We are also talking about something which could in fact be a violation of his contract, we are also talking about someone who hasn't been in the NFL spotlight before. All variables that change the equation. Each individual has their own reasons for wanting to keep certain things private. To assume that you or I know what his reasons are, when in fact we don't really know much of anything would be asinine on our part. We don't know much of anything, and until he wants us to know, we probably will continue to be in the dark.

Why is it assinine to speculate? People do it everyday in the stock market. The smart ones do it with data. We have data (the secrecy, the obfuscation, and the ambiguity of the the released statements) that leads us to an educated guess. Of course our guess can be wrong but we are talking likelihoods not certainties. If you had to bet, would you bet on horrific injury with no chance of a return this year or would you say it is some type of typical injury from which he will make a complete recovery and be back on the field by OTA in in 2018. If I HAD to bet I will go with the former because what I infer from the information leads me to that conclusion.

StoneCold

Reaction score
HawkerD":16l9bz11 said:
kidhawk":16l9bz11 said:
HawkerD":16l9bz11 said:

This situation is different than most that have come before it. We are talking about a guy who has never taken an actual NFL snap yet. We are also talking about something which could in fact be a violation of his contract, we are also talking about someone who hasn't been in the NFL spotlight before. All variables that change the equation. Each individual has their own reasons for wanting to keep certain things private. To assume that you or I know what his reasons are, when in fact we don't really know much of anything would be asinine on our part. We don't know much of anything, and until he wants us to know, we probably will continue to be in the dark.

Why is it assinine to speculate? People do it everyday in the stock market. The smart ones do it with data. We have data (the secrecy, the obfuscation, and the ambiguity of the the released statements) that leads us to an educated guess. Of course our guess can be wrong but we are talking likelihoods not certainties. If you had to bet, would you bet on horrific injury with no chance of a return this year or would you say it is some type of typical injury from which he will make a complete recovery and be back on the field by OTA in in 2018. If I HAD to bet I will go with the former because what I infer from the information leads me to that conclusion.

I wouldn't make such a bet on such flimsy information.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
A lot of hand-wringing over a draft pick who put his career in jeopardy by doing something risky. With the physical tools that McDowell possesses (possessed) and the potential for enormous income, to make the decision that he did actually makes me wonder if he would even be worth the headache.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The recent news that the team will be seeing Malik regularly in Seattle, versus whatever other options he had, is a positive sign.

It suggests the team doctors have the outlook that, in time, Malik may actually recover or they wouldn't be doing this. It may also suggest that Malik has been offered and has accepted an offer of higher quality help than what was otherwise available to him and his family.

Am guardedly optimistic long-term since the team docs are committed and supportive instead of just leaving him to monthly 'how many fingers can you see' local clinic-doc appts. Help like they will be providing is likely good quality.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1cg2d82m said:

Yeah Moderators that are not blue should have their posts deleted for trying to moderate without a license also. :p

OpHawk

Reaction score
Until information of ANY kind is put forward by the parties involved I will assume Malik Mcdowell will never see the inside of a Seahawk helmet. Some of you might consider doing the same....

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1umkoq72 said:
It may also suggest that Malik has been offered and has accepted an offer of higher quality help than what was otherwise available to him and his family.

Seattle has excellent Orthopedic care. Just because a physician has a "big name" doesn't guarantee the outcome.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seymour":1yb7hmxo said:
seahawkfreak":1yb7hmxo said:

I thought I was following this pretty closely, and never heard he was not wearing a helmet for sure. Would you mind telling us where you heard that information please?

LOL. I would rather just share with the class, could the teacher please leave the room. I suppose there is no statement on him specifically not wearing a helmet. I deduced it from the fact that there were reports of "facial injuries" to which has stuck in my head since it was first reported. I rescind my statement because I guess it is possible to get "facial injuries" with a helmet on and that it appears, at present time, he has no "facial injuries".
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/891742886492086273[/tweet]

McDowell has also said that his injuries were not "career threating" as well. I still stand by the fact that this whole thing is strange and dubious.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MSU_LEEK4/status/891755272481505280[/tweet]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Curious - how much can he do in the building while still on the NFI?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Learn, recover, watch, lift, grow, get strong and healthy.

Given the rip on Mc Dowell that he didn't seem to love the game the self imposed benching and loss of his ability to play for now may stoke the fire in him to compete and allow him to become the player he showed the potential to be. Sure hope so for both him and the team.

At any rate the team has shown him nothing is a given by getting Richardson and making his need here less necessary. A reality check. Thanks to him though the team added Richardson so it's not all bad.

If he wants to play we'll see him get practicing as soon as he gets clearance.

Not seeing him play except in highlight clips it's disappointing that he is unavailable and subject to a self imposed redshirt.

Would love to see him face the media and end all the speculation.