Report: Seahawks at Niners on Thanksgiving Night

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Richard Sherman loves Thursday Night prime time games, and so do I.

The only thing I don't like is when our bye is.

BRING IT.

kearly

Reaction score
There was an article last year that talked about how much players and coaches hate Thursday games, for the obvious reasons. Many of them even cited health factors and said it was irresponsible by the league. Basically it takes close to a full week to physically recover from an NFL game, especially among the league's most physical teams.

We play in a brutally physical division, and in fact Seattle plays the Cardinals four days before the 49ers game. The 49ers play... the Raiders. Yup, sounds fair.

lucky49

Reaction score
kearly":1zykw5yw said:
There was an article last year that talked about how much players and coaches hate Thursday games, for the obvious reasons. Many of them even cited health factors and said it was irresponsible by the league. Basically it takes close to a full week to physically recover from an NFL game, especially among the league's most physical teams.

We play in a brutally physical division, and in fact Seattle plays the Cardinals four days before the 49ers game. The 49ers play... the Raiders. Yup, sounds fair.

Niners actually play the redskins before that, but yeah i agree it's messed up. Niners and Hawks is a great matchup; putting it on thursday makes it watered down and due to the physicality of both teams, there's more of an injury risk. Plus when they both played on a thursday two years ago, that was a really boring, low scoring game. Doubt the NFL wants that, not sure why they would put it there.

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't think it will be that big of a deal. They both play a home game the week prior and it isn't across country. The only thing I was hoping for with the schedule was a bye week a little later in the season. The team did have late ones the prior two years, so I cannot gripe about how things fell this time. Having those late byes though are pretty sweet.

One of the reasons most likely that Harvin didn't go on the IR after aggravating his hip against the Vikings.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
lucky49":isq6pbc9 said:
kearly":isq6pbc9 said:

We play in a brutally physical division,: and in fact Seattle plays the Cardinals four days before the 49ers game. The 49ers play... the Raiders. Yup, sounds fair.

Niners actually play the redskins before that, but yeah i agree it's messed up. Niners and Hawks is a great matchup; putting it on thursday makes it watered down and due to the physicality of both teams, there's more of an injury risk. Plus when they both played on a thursday two years ago, that was a really boring, low scoring game. Doubt the NFL wants that, not sure why they would put it there.
It should be far better this time we get two Superbowl teams with up and coming quarterbacks that are battle tested and Percy Harvin, primetime night game what's not to like? If you're are a Seahawk fan that is.:)

Polaris

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":27wgo1uf said:
Why is it that Cowboys play every Thanksgiving? Something I don't know? Please tell.

It's a longstanding NFL tradition that goes back about fifty years. Same with the Detroit Lions.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It was a deal that Tex Shram? made with the NFL during the merger or similar. He saw it as a huge marketing bonanza and he was 110% correct.

Polaris

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2sxst1hc said:
It was a deal that Tex Shram? made with the NFL during the merger or similar.

Actually it was well before the merger. IIRC it was Shram's deal with the NFL to promote the (then) 'new' Dallas Cowboys and his Cowboys were one of the few teams willing to play on Turkey day. But yeah, longstanding agreement with the NFL.

NINEster

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1t8y2n1t said:
One day, Seattle will get an away game against SF that isn't on a short week. One day...

Was there not enough time between the last preseason game and the 2011 season opener for the Seahawks to prepare for Tedd Ginn's kick returns?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":3es9iks3 said:
I think our schedule is very favorable other than the four days rest at SF part, which IMO is an inexcusable decision by the league. I'm not the biggest fan of Thursday night football in general because of the disproportionate extra advantage it gives to the home team, but at the very least they could avoid using Thursday for the 2014 seasons most important football game.
This, and on top of it we now travel THREE YEARS IN A ROW for our Thursday night game on a short week. Total, complete and utter BULLSHIT!! These Thursday games, since the league is greedy and has decided they will continue, should be on a rotating basis. They should be home one year, awwy the next. SCREW YOU NFL!!!

Otherwise like kearly, I don't have a lot of issue with the schedule. Only 3 10:00 AM starts and that Carolina game could be flexed to Sunday night now that NBC is allowed to start doing so after week 5 I believe.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Lots of distractions for a home team on Thanksgiving day. Tickets for friends and family members, being constantly surrounded by those friends and family members. An overall, jolly F'n holiday feeling.

The visiting team, OTOH, is pissed they're away from home. They're all business and focused on making their host's holiday just as miserable. I so look forward to the misery of my 9er neighbors. And of course, pumpkin pie.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I hate when the Seahawks play on Thanksgiving. Always ruins my day. Even if they win, I'm too nervous watching the game to enjoy my meal and the time off.

Throw in a loss and it's even worse.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NINEster":1fc2z6z5 said:
Smelly McUgly":1fc2z6z5 said:
One day, Seattle will get an away game against SF that isn't on a short week. One day...

Was there not enough time between the last preseason game and the 2011 season opener for the Seahawks to prepare for Tedd Ginn's kick returns?

Ahh yes, the Niners glory year.

Latest posts