Reuben Foster Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":uf45sbc5 said:
QuickLightning":uf45sbc5 said:
Sgt. Largent":uf45sbc5 said:
Deadspin released the full police report

https://deadspin.com/police-report-reub ... ssion=true

Sounds like everything that we think happened, happened. Not sure why the GF is recanting her statements.

That's just based on her initial statement. Which she has since said was all lies, so isn't really relevant.

Sounds like Foster will be getting off with a clean slate from almost all the charges.

It's still very relevant. Just because she has recanted doesn't mean what she said wasn't true. It'll take time, but it will either be proven that she lied initially or lied after the fact. There are reasons why I can see either being true, so until there is verified proof one way or the other, then everything related to the case is relevant.

Basically, she lied. The question is about what...the initial statement or the recant.

I tend to believe the recant because of how she's done it (IE, tried to recant to DA, he didn't listen, so she hired her own lawyer and then made a public and pretty detailed statement that didn't exactly put herself in the best light).

Totally possible though that he did it and she's lying now.

I think the whole thing is going to get dropped, but I don't know that even if that happens we'll ever get a 100% picture of what actually happened.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":144y4tt5 said:
Basically, she lied. The question is about what...the initial statement or the recant.

I tend to believe the recant because of how she's done it (IE, tried to recant to DA, he didn't listen, so she hired her own lawyer and then made a public and pretty detailed statement that didn't exactly put herself in the best light).

I think the whole thing is going to get dropped, but I don't know that even if that happens we'll ever get a 100% picture of what actually happened.

As she's made completely contradictory statements, there's no doubt that she lied, on that everyone can agree.

I just don't see how either lie is more believable at this point in time. There are a lot of reasons for her to have lied about it in the first place, and equally as many reasons for her to lie about it after the fact. Right now it really comes down to a video. I've never seen this video nor have I seen evidence of it's validity, and until that comes to light, IMO, this has a 50/50 shot of going either way. I just can't trust her enough at this point to believe that there is a video until that video gets verified. Time will tell and I have no doubt it will do so quite publicly

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":w6c3vih4 said:
Marvin49":w6c3vih4 said:

As she's made completely contradictory statements, there's no doubt that she lied, on that everyone can agree.

I just don't see how either lie is more believable at this point in time. There are a lot of reasons for her to have lied about it in the first place, and equally as many reasons for her to lie about it after the fact. Right now it really comes down to a video. I've never seen this video nor have I seen evidence of it's validity, and until that comes to light, IMO, this has a 50/50 shot of going either way. I just can't trust her enough at this point to believe that there is a video until that video gets verified. Time will tell and I have no doubt it will do so quite publicly

Oh I can totally see this going either way. I think this will go away based on the behavior of the attorneys more than anything else, not her word.

Fosters Lawyer is VERY confident, which is why he's not waiving his clients right to a speedy trial. He's forcing the DA to be ready to present a case by next thurs. He knows they have the accuser recanting so she won't help prosecution, and they have the video.

This friday, the DA is trying to get access to her statements to the hospital and the medical reports in order to disprove the video is what caused her injuries. The fact that they need that NOW tells me they aren't convinced they have a case to convict him beyond reasonable doubt...

...and that's what kinda sucks. Even if he didn't do this, there will be no "Reuben Foster is innocent" statement. If they end up dropping the charges, we will never REALLY know if he did this or not. We can only take him at his word as she has already lied in one way or the other.

This stuff going away is the direction this all seems to be headed, but that doesn't mean he's innocent and it doesn't mean he's guilty.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Foster is not going to make it IMO. He is just another Aldon Smith. It's been nothing but trouble with him continuously since the combine. When he plays and when he is healthy he is a good player. But he is injured a lot and he makes awful decisions that lead to suspensions. Maybe eventually expulsion from the team permanently.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1qbevs34 said:
Foster is not going to make it IMO. He is just another Aldon Smith. It's been nothing but trouble with him continuously since the combine. When he plays and when he is healthy he is a good player. But he is injured a lot and he makes awful decisions that lead to suspensions. Maybe eventually expulsion from the team permanently.

Honestly, I think Niner fans are so scarred by the Aldon situation that we view almost everybody as Aldon.

Aldon Smith was an all-timer. Reuben is a different dude.

Now that doesn't mean he isn't capable of screwing up on the same scale, but I think we as Niner fans pull out the Aldon card way too often. It's like Fandom PTSD.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":hk2ab1zk said:
SanDiego49er":hk2ab1zk said:

Honestly, I think Niner fans are so scarred by the Aldon situation that we view almost everybody as Aldon.

Now that doesn't mean he isn't capable of screwing up on the same scale, but I think we as Niner fans pull out the Aldon card way too often. It's like Fandom PTSD.

~ Drug test positive at Combine.

~ Gets kicked out of the Combine for arguing with medical workers. I mean who does this? You are about to make NFL millions. It's unbelievable.

~ Gets arrested for drugs again. Is it in his home state I believe? When he was visiting.

~ Gets arrested for FELONY domestic violence.

~ Accused of smashing GF's phone so she can't call the police (currenty disputed).

~ Accused of throwing a dog across the room (disupted).

~ Accused of punching her and breaking an eardrum (disupted). Says it was another girl who did it and he wanted to break up with his Ex GF.

~ Accused of physically dragging her out of the room (disputed).

I don't know if you did this in a whole career I would say you are out of control. To do this in one season and one off season is unbelievable. He's totally out of control even if SOME of those are false and the disputing of them is right. I just can't see him last long. Something else will come up even if he clears all of this. A guy like this is just not going to stay out of trouble for 3, 5, 8, 10 years in a row for a playing career. It's just totally unrealistic. Beyond that he is undersized and injured a lot. He can't seem to stay on the field for a variety of different reasons.

When healthy, out of trouble and playing he is an excellent player. But that doesn't seem like very often.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Girlfriend recanted likely because of the almighty $. She wants her piece of that pie and knows if she actually told the truth Foster would be out of the league. Guessing this is going nowhere as she is backtracking and has zero credibility now. This happens more often than not with domestic violence cases. I'm sure they will get back together until he lays the smackdown on her again. Likely not the first time and won't be the last.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":14k1qm1r said:
Marvin49":14k1qm1r said:
SanDiego49er":14k1qm1r said:

~ Gets kicked out of the Combine for arguing with medical workers. I mean who does this? You are about to make NFL millions. It's unbelievable.

~ Gets arrested for drugs again. Is it in his home state I believe? When he was visiting.

~ Accused of smashing GF's phone so she can't call the police (currenty disputed).

~ Accused of punching her and breaking an eardrum (disupted). Says it was another girl who did it and he wanted to break up with his Ex GF.

I don't know if you did this in a whole career I would say you are out of control. To do this in one season and one off season is unbelievable. He's totally out of control even if SOME of those are false and the disputing of them is right. I just can't see him last long. Something else will come up even if he clears all of this. A guy like this is just not going to stay out of trouble for 3, 5, 8, 10 years in a row for a playing career. It's just totally unrealistic. Beyond that he is undersized and injured a lot. He can't seem to stay on the field for a variety of different reasons.

When healthy, out of trouble and playing he is an excellent player. But that doesn't seem like very often.

For clarity...

-Deluted Sample at combine

-Did have verbal altercation with a doctor at combine

-Marijuana Possession in Alabama (yeah...I'm really not tripping on Mary Jane, sorry. I actually think players should be able to use it for pain. It far better than the other stuff they take)

-DV under serious dispute

-If story is true, he destroyed phone because she was threatening to trash his career by lying to the police

-Dog was uninjured and this stems from same disputed report

-Not sure why you have the same DV listed twice

-She said he never harmed or threatened her and the "dragging out" is all part of the same incident.

5 of the 8 items you have listed are all the same disputed event.

I'm not saying he's an angel, but he's a LONG, LONG ways off from Aldon Smith. I hope he can keep it together and I have my doubts as well, but my point still stands. He ain't Aldon...yet. He's not close. Aldon was/is an alcoholic and pretty much everything else stems from that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1zfe1kwp said:
Girlfriend recanted likely because of the almighty $. She wants her piece of that pie and knows if she actually told the truth Foster would be out of the league. Guessing this is going nowhere as she is backtracking and has zero credibility now. This happens more often than not with domestic violence cases. I'm sure they will get back together until he lays the smackdown on her again. Likely not the first time and won't be the last.

...and that's my prob with the whole situation.

You could very well be right and thats what MANY will assume even if he didn't do it and she lied to the police as she now says she did.

That initial report has sunk him in the eyes of many and we will never get a definitive answer about what actually happened.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":2zx8st35 said:
SanDiego49er":2zx8st35 said:
Marvin49":2zx8st35 said:
SanDiego49er":2zx8st35 said:

For clarity...

-Marijuana Possession in Alabama (yeah...I'm really not tripping on Mary Jane, sorry. I actually think players should be able to use it for pain. It far better than the other stuff they take)

-If story is true, he destroyed phone because she was threatening to trash his career by lying to the police

-She said he never harmed or threatened her and the "dragging out" is all part of the same incident.

I'm not saying he's an angel, but he's a LONG, LONG ways off from Aldon Smith. I hope he can keep it together and I have my doubts as well, but my point still stands. He ain't Aldon...yet. He's not close. Aldon was/is an alcoholic and pretty much everything else stems from that.

Based on 1 season and 1 off season I don't think he is going to make it. But we will see. He plays well when he is out there. He is looking at a long suspension even if SOME of these items are true. If they all are he is probably kicked off the team. He's undersized and injured a lot anyway. He has trouble staying on the field. There is no disputing he is a real good player when playing.

But he doesn't play for a lot of reasons. Ranging from injuries to crazy off the field decision making and not being to hold his life together. I understand the pick because he was better than where he was picked. But in the end I don't think it will work out. We have to plan on life without him for the long term future. They may have to pick LB again real early.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
A couple factors that will come into play in this:

(1) The tape is obviously the huge one.

(2) Like it or not and right or wrong or not, DV is just really hard to get convictions on, and even absent the tape I worry that the details of the case muddy the waters too much for the really clean and clear narrative that a successful DV prosecution requires, and even with that clean narrative a lot of DV cases fail to secure prosecution.

Namely, her story is that he kicked her out of the house, and she broke back into the house through a backdoor, he kicked her out again, and she broke back in again, and it was after these two break ins that the violence occured (violence she's now claiming did not occur).

Let's say that's all true. NONE OF THAT in my opinion justifies the use of violence (call the cops, dummy! Although if you have illegal weapons in the house I understand why you wouldn't) but it just incredibly muddies the waters on a DV conviction.

My guess is he gets off with probably some misdemeanor charges (breaking her phone; the unlicensed gun) and a suspension from the league that the NFLPA might fight in a redux of the will-they-won't-they Zeke Elliott fiasco from last year. Unlike Jerry Jones, I'm hoping the 49ers have the foresight to just keep him away from the team throughout that whole process.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2w8gr6e7 said:

(2) Like it or not and right or wrong or not, DV is just really hard to get convictions on, and even absent the tape I worry that the details of the case muddy the waters too much for the really clean and clear narrative that a successful DV prosecution requires, and even with that clean narrative a lot of DV cases fail to secure prosecution.

Namely, her story is that he kicked her out of the house, and she broke back into the house through a backdoor, he kicked her out again, and she broke back in again, and it was after these two break ins that the violence occured (violence she's now claiming did not occur).

Let's say that's all true. NONE OF THAT in my opinion justifies the use of violence (call the cops, dummy! Although if you have illegal weapons in the house I understand why you wouldn't) but it just incredibly muddies the waters on a DV conviction.

My guess is he gets off with probably some misdemeanor charges (breaking her phone; the unlicensed gun) and a suspension from the league that the NFLPA might fight in a redux of the will-they-won't-they Zeke Elliott fiasco from last year. Unlike Jerry Jones, I'm hoping the 49ers have the foresight to just keep him away from the team throughout that whole process.

The bolded is the point I've been making. There is no ending here where we find out exactly what took place. I think in the end most (or more accurately the most damaging) charges get dropped, but honestly in regards to the phone I'm not sure how you charge a guy for trying to prevent her from calling the police and lying...IE, breaking the law herself. Probably doesn't matter as its destruction of property and the odd thing there is I don't think he's even charged on that count (tho I could be wrong). I think there is a charge for preventing her from reporting a crime...but if its shown that no crime took place and her intent was to commit a crime herself....I dunno.

Also notable is that he admitted to destroying the phone on the spot. Its in his initial Police statement.

Of course, NONE of this is a reason for violence. I think we can all agree on that and the 49ers have made it very clear: If he hit her he is gone.

As for this being a 'Zeke Elliot thing...perhaps not. Tho the charges were dropped against Zeke, there is one BIG difference between the situations: The league had Zekes accuser as a willing participant in the league investigation. Reuben accuser is saying it never happened.

I guess we'll see. Most interesting date now is the 17th. We'll see if the DA will still charge him after reviewing video and medical reports.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2jbl2aat said:
Marvin49":2jbl2aat said:
SanDiego49er":2jbl2aat said:
Marvin49":2jbl2aat said:

For clarity...

Based on 1 season and 1 off season I don't think he is going to make it. But we will see. He plays well when he is out there. He is looking at a long suspension even if SOME of these items are true. If they all are he is probably kicked off the team. He's undersized and injured a lot anyway. He has trouble staying on the field. There is no disputing he is a real good player when playing.

But he doesn't play for a lot of reasons. Ranging from injuries to crazy off the field decision making and not being to hold his life together. I understand the pick because he was better than where he was picked. But in the end I don't think it will work out. We have to plan on life without him for the long term future. They may have to pick LB again real early.

You could be right. Its an old story...young athlete who can't stay out of trouble. 90% of the time (and that's a number I'm pulling out of thin air) that athlete doesn't figure it out until its far too late or not at all. There are some cases though where they do and can become an example to aspire to. Reality is its far more likely he could be the former, but I haven't given up hope on the latter.

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2t9rtitf said:
Good thing for him that he's a great player, because that seems to matter sometimes in these things :roll:

Yup! Same reason Frank Clark has a job with the Seahawks!

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":aa0q9wbp said:
Good thing for him that he's a great player, because that seems to matter sometimes in these things :roll:

Well..I mean seriously...lets be real for a second...

If Reuben wasn't a good, potentially great player he'd have been released long ago. Franchises weigh risk/reward when this stuff happens. How much is the franchise willing to put up with bad press, etc.

If Reuben was a scrub he'd have been released long ago.

I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":6dz568dz said:
Popeyejones":6dz568dz said:

The bolded is the point I've been making. There is no ending here where we find out exactly what took place. I think in the end most (or more accurately the most damaging) charges get dropped, but honestly in regards to the phone I'm not sure how you charge a guy for trying to prevent her from calling the police and lying...IE, breaking the law herself. Probably doesn't matter as its destruction of property and the odd thing there is I don't think he's even charged on that count (tho I could be wrong). I think there is a charge for preventing her from reporting a crime...but if its shown that no crime took place and her intent was to commit a crime herself....I dunno.

Also notable is that he admitted to destroying the phone on the spot. Its in his initial Police statement.

Of course, NONE of this is a reason for violence. I think we can all agree on that and the 49ers have made it very clear: If he hit her he is gone.

As for this being a 'Zeke Elliot thing...perhaps not. Tho the charges were dropped against Zeke, there is one BIG difference between the situations: The league had Zekes accuser as a willing participant in the league investigation. Reuben accuser is saying it never happened.

I guess we'll see. Most interesting date now is the 17th. We'll see if the DA will still charge him after reviewing video and medical reports.

IIRC from the thing between Bruce Miller and his GF destruction of property falls under misdemeanor DV law in CA (although I could be very wrong about that). Agreed in general tho that if she’s yelling about how she’s calling to lie about him hitting her it conceivably complicates things.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If video comes out, I do believe Marvin will be like "It's only 720P; not clear enough, can't tell what really happened."

;)