Reuben Foster Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":c6exkvkf said:
Marvin49":c6exkvkf said:
Welp, that sucks. Sigh.

The 49ers statement leads me to believe that they don't necessarily believe or more accurately aren't sure he's guilty of what he being charged of.

If he indeed punched her 8 times tho and busted her eardrum...

...I'm done. Cut him.

I don’t know man. There is a medical report and I’m sure pictures. I just don’t see what the question is. He beat the brakes off her. We cut a player that was accused of DV and he was never charged. So what’s the deal? Cut the scum.

I'm not arguing. I'm just saying that if it were in fact that cut and dry he'd be unemployed today.

Statement by his lawyer and the team would seem to suggest more to this, but I'm in no way defending him. If he's guilty cut the guy. As soon as possible.

As for Brock...come on. We live in the real world here. If Foster was the same caliber player as Brock he'd have been released the day he was arrested.

That's life in the NFL. No need to pretend that isn't the case. The current 49ers management team is invested in Reuben and they weren't in Brock. I'm not going to pretend that isn't the case or that they occupy some moral high ground that doesn't exist.

kidhawk

Reaction score
rlkats":12449nht said:
Marvin49":12449nht said:
Welp, that sucks. Sigh.

The 49ers statement leads me to believe that they don't necessarily believe or more accurately aren't sure he's guilty of what he being charged of.

...I'm done. Cut him.

I don’t know man. There is a medical report and I’m sure pictures. I just don’t see what the question is. He beat the brakes off her. We cut a player that was accused of DV and he was never charged. So what’s the deal? Cut the scum.

I'm a bit confused? Are you talking about Boykin? He was arrested based on his latest accusation, so I'm not sure where the "he wasn't charged" bit is coming from.

As for Foster. I don't really blame the Niners organization for taking the time to fully investigate this. It's early enough in the off season that they can do their due diligence and still cut him. I would be shocked if he played another down with the 49ers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kidhawk":3k4x5kte said:
rlkats":3k4x5kte said:
Marvin49":3k4x5kte said:
Welp, that sucks. Sigh.

...I'm done. Cut him.

Nah, he's talking about Tramaine Brock, who was slated to be the 9ers starting CB last year, was arrested for DV, and was cut within 24 (or 48?) hours.

He later wasn't charged and is now on the Broncos.

(I think the confusion is rlkats' uses of "we" -- he's a 9ers fan, not a Seahawks fan :2thumbs: ).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":5nq28ji2 said:
kidhawk":5nq28ji2 said:
rlkats":5nq28ji2 said:
Marvin49":5nq28ji2 said:
Welp, that sucks. Sigh.

...I'm done. Cut him.

Nah, he's talking about Tramaine Brock, who was slated to be the 9ers starting CB last year, was arrested for DV, and was cut within 24 (or 48?) hours.

(I think the confusion is rlkats' uses of "we" -- he's a 9ers fan, not a Seahawks fan :2thumbs: ).

Beat me to it.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2gf9xk03 said:
kidhawk":2gf9xk03 said:
rlkats":2gf9xk03 said:
Marvin49":2gf9xk03 said:
Welp, that sucks. Sigh.

...I'm done. Cut him.

Thanks..that's what I get for not looking at the name of the poster making the post.

As a moderator, I try to avoid reading names so I can judge each post solely on it's content. Apparently that approach doesn't work as well when I'm just posting as a fan :34853_doh:

Marvin49

Reaction score
uh....well that's interesting....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/984529940967075840[/tweet]

Marvin49

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/984533638401351680[/tweet]

Marvin49

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/984534224894967808[/tweet]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be until someone suggests Seattle pick him up citing Pete's skill with reclamation projects.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":tsqjupl4 said:

Maybe Richard should be supporting the woman Foster beat within an inch of her life, instead of the perpetrator.

Seems a little backwards to me.

But that's what happens in the NFL, if you're a first round pick? You get all the support and time you need to either keep screwing up, or weasel out of your punishment so you can make lots of tackles on Sunday.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1doawm9n said:
Marvin49":1doawm9n said:

Maybe Richard should be supporting the woman Foster beat within an inch of her life, instead of the perpetrator.

But that's what happens in the NFL, if you're a first round pick? You get all the support and time you need to either keep screwing up, or weasel out of your punishment so you can make lots of tackles on Sunday.

Although I agree with what you are saying, I want to give it a bit of time to see what "support" means in this instance. Perhaps Sherman is helping Foster get help for his issues and in turn he's supporting him through the process. That may not be the case, but if he is supporting him as he's getting help behind the scenes, then Sherman may be doing a good thing here. Obviously I would hope he's not just showing support for a teammate in an "I've got your back no matter what you did/do" kind of way.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":1dywdg17 said:
Sgt. Largent":1dywdg17 said:
Marvin49":1dywdg17 said:

Although I agree with what you are saying, I want to give it a bit of time to see what "support" means in this instance. Perhaps Sherman is helping Foster get help for his issues and in turn he's supporting him through the process. That may not be the case, but if he is supporting him as he's getting help behind the scenes, then Sherman may be doing a good thing here. Obviously I would hope he's not just showing support for a teammate in an "I've got your back no matter what you did/do" kind of way.

I see this as Richard wanting to establish himself as a team leader for the Niners, so he's "supporting" Foster, and IMO that's misguided.

Maybe I'm being cynical, and I hope Richard does help Foster get help if that's truly his intent. But from the outside looking in? He's supporting the wrong person.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Marvin49":1pq96mbd said:

Sherman, now acting as a lawyer too. Foster ends up serving a life sentence that is state friendly; meal privileges and movie night can only be acquired via not likely to be earned incentives.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wcdze58e said:
kidhawk":wcdze58e said:
Sgt. Largent":wcdze58e said:
Marvin49":wcdze58e said:

I see this as Richard wanting to establish himself as a team leader for the Niners, so he's "supporting" Foster, and IMO that's misguided.

Maybe I'm being cynical, and I hope Richard does help Foster get help if that's truly his intent. But from the outside looking in? He's supporting the wrong person.

I see what you are saying but to me that only makes sense if we live in a binary world...IE if he is supporting Reuben that means he is NOT supporting the victim. I think that's an oversimplification.

It is possible to support and care for both the abuser and the abused. You don't have to pick a side. You can support the abuser who is remorseful for his actions and help him make better decisions in the future and at the same time of course support the victim of the abuse.

I think too often in ALL arenas we are too easily swayed on too little information and make everything a VS. situation. We say you have to be on this side or that side. Who are we to make those judgements?

Reuben Foster comes from an insanely harsh background. The dude was shot by his father while in his mothers arms when he was 18 months old. I mean seriously...that alone has to mess you up.

That is not an excuse and the behavior is inexcusable. That does not mean however that the person should have to walk around his entire life with a scarlett letter because he made a very poor choice. His teammates who know him far better than I choose to support the person, not the act...and there is a big difference.

original poster

Reaction score
Sometimes I love the NFL, other times, I really, really hate it.

Would he have been cut if he was a 7th round guy? Of course he would. That's what I don't like.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":3gacuwzy said:
Sgt. Largent":3gacuwzy said:
kidhawk":3gacuwzy said:
Sgt. Largent":3gacuwzy said:

I see what you are saying but to me that only makes sense if we live in a binary world...IE if he is supporting Reuben that means he is NOT supporting the victim. I think that's an oversimplification.

It is possible to support and care for both the abuser and the abused. You don't have to pick a side. You can support the abuser who is remorseful for his actions and help him make better decisions in the future and at the same time of course support the victim of the abuse.

I think too often in ALL arenas we are too easily swayed on too little information and make everything a VS. situation. We say you have to be on this side or that side. Who are we to make those judgements?

Reuben Foster comes from an insanely harsh background. The dude was shot by his father while in his mothers arms when he was 18 months old. I mean seriously...that alone has to mess you up.

That is not an excuse and the behavior is inexcusable. That does not mean however that the person should have to walk around his entire life with a scarlett letter because he made a very poor choice. His teammates who know him far better than I choose to support the person, not the act...and there is a big difference.

I get it, and I'm not saying this is black and white.

But I'm tired of us focusing on the athlete, and making sure he has LOTS of support...........cause you know, he plays football really well, and we want to make sure he has all the support he needs so he can get back to helping his team win!

It's ass backwards IMO.

rlkats

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2u4piw20 said:
Marvin49":2u4piw20 said:
Sgt. Largent":2u4piw20 said:
kidhawk":2u4piw20 said:

I get it, and I'm not saying this is black and white.

But I'm tired of us focusing on the athlete, and making sure he has LOTS of support...........cause you know, he plays football really well, and we want to make sure he has all the support he needs so he can get back to helping his team win!

It's ass backwards IMO.

Agreed. If it was any normal person without the big name or cool job, we would have already been locked up and the key thrown away. He is a football player. Guess what there is NOTHING special about him or any other athlete. It irritates the crap out of me that these guys are not held to the same standard as other Americans. To all the people that say, lets see what happens in the case first and see how that comes out. Your part of the issue. Really how much time would you be allowed to leave work for the same case he has without being replaced? How many jobs out there hand out 1 year or more suspensions then get to come back? Bottom line cut him and let him work his issues out. If he has been cleared of the charges of Domestic Violence, Illegal Weapons, and Drug Possession then fine he will be picked up and "get a job". Last time I checked that's how the world works for ordinary people why not superstar athletes?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rlkats":2uklu5aq said:
Agreed. If it was any normal person without the big name or cool job, we would have already been locked up and the key thrown away. He is a football player. Guess what there is NOTHING special about him or any other athlete. It irritates the crap out of me that these guys are not held to the same standard as other Americans. To all the people that say, lets see what happens in the case first and see how that comes out. Your part of the issue. Really how much time would you be allowed to leave work for the same case he has without being replaced? How many jobs out there hand out 1 year or more suspensions then get to come back? Bottom line cut him and let him work his issues out. If he has been cleared of the charges of Domestic Violence, Illegal Weapons, and Drug Possession then fine he will be picked up and "get a job". Last time I checked that's how the world works for ordinary people why not superstar athletes?

To be clear, absolutely NONE OF THIS is a defense of Foster or the 9ers (not at all, I'm the one who bumped the thread saying they should cut him), but your argument on this and special treatment is straight up nonsense.

1) The legal system moves slowly for everybody. Was it someone here who said the 6th amendment is far and away the most violated constitutional amendment in the U.S.? If so, that's absolutely true.

2) That "regular people" are regularly losing their jobs due to DV charges is just nonsense. You seriously think employers are checking their employees against arrest records every month? Unless you're serving jail time or are a public employee chances are your employer isn't ever even gonna know you're knocking your girlfriend or wife around in your off hours, and aren't ever gonna know because unlike NFL players it's never gonna get reported on in the newspaper.

3) NFL players have a lower rate of domestic violence than the general population, which is about 10%. I mean dude, the domestic violence rate for police officers is 25% on the low end and above 40% on the high end. As public employees the two crimes that police officers are least likely to lose their jobs over are driving drunk and beating their intimate partners.

If you're concerned about the world working the same way for DV for "ordinary people" and everyone else, you're pissed off about cops, not NFL players.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2oeprpt6 said:
2) That "regular people" are regularly losing their jobs due to DV charges is just nonsense. You seriously think employers are checking their employees against arrest records every month? Unless you're serving jail time or are a public employee chances are your employer isn't ever even gonna know you're knocking your girlfriend or wife around in your off hours, and aren't ever gonna know because unlike NFL players it's never gonna get reported on in the newspaper.

Except when the offender gets arrested and all of a sudden doesn't/can't show up to work... then their manager/boss/customers start wondering where the hell their guy is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":s79ewjgz said:

LOTS of jobs would be in jeopardy with a serious domestic violence charge, especially if after you were prosecuted it was on your record as a felony. Any job with a designation, white or blue collar your employer would know if you had a felony on your record pretty quickly.

My point, and I think others is the amount of support and resources for a star athlete vs a regular person.........and for me, the attention and support given to the athlete vs the woman who just had her eardrum shattered.

And I know you guys aren't defending Foster's actions, but here we have a football player that's all over the news, and everyone out of the Niners camp is bending over backwards to support a dude who beat the living crap out of a woman..............how bout as an organization offering to help her as well?

Nope, cause she doesn't have the potential for 100+ tackles a year.