Reversal of Drug Suspension

Cartire

Reaction score
huskylawyer":o83gfqux said:
Ahh...the old "you are not really a lawyer" comeback lol. Ummm....ok. UW Undergrad, Michigan Law, and co-own a law firm that does handle employment issues (if you want a resume, let me know LMAO).

Of course a business can do what it pleases within the law, but if your "boss" treats you unfairly, it impacts work conditions, and in the NFL's situation, FAN and player reaction. Fans are getting tired for Goodell's dictoator attitudes, hence the reason nearly everyone hates him. Maybe in la la land a boss can act with impunity with no consequences, but in the real world, not affording one's employee's some level of due process is NOT GOOD BUSINESS. That B-school 101 right there. Did fans tune the NFL out when Tagliabue was fairly soft on player discipline? Umm..no. The game is going to grow regardless of player discipline. Nobody says, "hmm..that guy on that team smokes weed, so I'm not gonna watch the game." The "protect the shield" argument is so overblown.

And btw, a-hole bosses aren't good bosses more often than not.

Yes, we all know Goodell can do what he wants, as the system has been collectively bargained. But now, the players are saying, "hold on..this is getting out of hand" (hence them revisiting the issue).

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Goodell is a tyrant (not literally, you know what I mean), hence the reason he's nearly boo'd off the stage every NFL draft lol. I knew he was at Thursday's hawks game, and I was literally praying that he wouldn't get in front of the crowd to congratulate us, because he would have been boo'd lustily.

And NOBODY is disputing Goodell's RIGHT to suspend players without due process. Everyone knows that, as it is in the CBA. What people (and myself) are saying are that the rules are overboard, and Goodell has a power complex.

I dont understand what the complex is that you see though. What suspensions has Goodell gone overboard on that werent already stipulated consequences per the CBA? The Josh Gordon supension? Pretty sure the precedent was there and had been there. This wasnt a first offense. It wasnt a second offend. This was a third offense. On top of which, the appeals takes place, right after a DUI. What exactly is this power hungry of Goodell you see? This is a standard suspension. If the players are so upset over it, they need to look in the mirror. Both for allowing this into the CBA, and 2nd for testing the system constantly in some hopes of slipping through the cracks.

Theres 1 instance where Goodell flexed his muscles a little much to nip a dangerous issue in the butt, BountyGate. And one where he didnt flex enough, Ray Rice, which was an EXTREMELY LENIENT punishment. With the exception of this, I really do believe that Goodell is been extremely fair and balanced when it comes to dulling out punishments.

I have a question for you though. When was the last time a player just came out and said he screwed up? Wheres the responsibility of any of the players in these situations? Theres always an excuse. "I didnt know substance X was illegal" What a BS response. Everybody knows theres a list. Every doctor knows theres a list. Hell, the new excuse seems to be, I took an illegal substance (Molly) and didnt know it was laced with a PED. WHAT!?! Yes the PED penalties are harsher, but do you really think its a smart idea to talk about taking an illegal substance as a reason why you feel your not guilty?

Also, name one Commish who wasnt booed.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Cartire":1bfl8qbh said:
huskylawyer":1bfl8qbh said:
Ahh...the old "you are not really a lawyer" comeback lol. Ummm....ok. UW Undergrad, Michigan Law, and co-own a law firm that does handle employment issues (if you want a resume, let me know LMAO).

Of course a business can do what it pleases within the law, but if your "boss" treats you unfairly, it impacts work conditions, and in the NFL's situation, FAN and player reaction. Fans are getting tired for Goodell's dictoator attitudes, hence the reason nearly everyone hates him. Maybe in la la land a boss can act with impunity with no consequences, but in the real world, not affording one's employee's some level of due process is NOT GOOD BUSINESS. That B-school 101 right there. Did fans tune the NFL out when Tagliabue was fairly soft on player discipline? Umm..no. The game is going to grow regardless of player discipline. Nobody says, "hmm..that guy on that team smokes weed, so I'm not gonna watch the game." The "protect the shield" argument is so overblown.

And btw, a-hole bosses aren't good bosses more often than not.

Yes, we all know Goodell can do what he wants, as the system has been collectively bargained. But now, the players are saying, "hold on..this is getting out of hand" (hence them revisiting the issue).

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Goodell is a tyrant (not literally, you know what I mean), hence the reason he's nearly boo'd off the stage every NFL draft lol. I knew he was at Thursday's hawks game, and I was literally praying that he wouldn't get in front of the crowd to congratulate us, because he would have been boo'd lustily.

And NOBODY is disputing Goodell's RIGHT to suspend players without due process. Everyone knows that, as it is in the CBA. What people (and myself) are saying are that the rules are overboard, and Goodell has a power complex.

I dont understand what the complex is that you see though. What suspensions has Goodell gone overboard on that werent already stipulated consequences per the CBA? The Josh Gordon supension? Pretty sure the precedent was there and had been there. This wasnt a first offense. It wasnt a second offend. This was a third offense. On top of which, the appeals takes place, right after a DUI. What exactly is this power hungry of Goodell you see? This is a standard suspension. If the players are so upset over it, they need to look in the mirror. Both for allowing this into the CBA, and 2nd for testing the system constantly in some hopes of slipping through the cracks.

Theres 1 instance where Goodell flexed his muscles a little much to nip a dangerous issue in the butt, BountyGate. And one where he didnt flex enough, Ray Rice, which was an EXTREMELY LENIENT punishment. With the exception of this, I really do believe that Goodell is been extremely fair and balanced when it comes to dulling out punishments.

I have a question for you though. When was the last time a player just came out and said he screwed up? Wheres the responsibility of any of the players in these situations? Theres always an excuse. "I didnt know substance X was illegal" What a BS response. Everybody knows theres a list. Every doctor knows theres a list. Hell, the new excuse seems to be, I took an illegal substance (Molly) and didnt know it was laced with a PED. WHAT!?! Yes the PED penalties are harsher, but do you really think its a smart idea to talk about taking an illegal substance as a reason why you feel your not guilty?

Again, nobody is disputing that Goodell hasn't acted within his powers. That is an entirely different issue. The issue for many fans, the media, and players, is that the rules seem overly harsh. For example:

1) When Goodell renders a decision, the player appeals, and Goodell (or his lackey) hears the appeal lol. I've seen a lot of appeal mechanisms in contracts and CBAs, and very rarely do you see the person hearing the appeal as the same person who rendered the original decision. That's just dumb and is basically a useless "appeal."
2) The Mary Jane threshold for a positive is lower than what they require in the OLYMPICS. Way tougher than the World Doping Commission.
3) Goodell wants to punish on an ALLEGATION (e.g., Rapistburger) or charge, REGARDLESS of whether the person is convicted or charges are dropped.

So you think the above rules are cool? I'm not asking you whether Goodell has this power (he does), just, doesn't that seem heavy handed?

Again, for the billionth time, nobody is saying, "he CAN'T do that". People are saying, "this is heavy handed" which is a completely reasonable response, and again, it is why Goodell is so unpopular among the fans. They view him as an a-hole.

Yes, the players should know the rules (set up by their poor leadership). And yes, players are not going to say, "I screwed up." But that isn't the issue being discussed. The issues is fairness. It seems crazy to me that Goodell wants to suspend players on a "suspicion of DUI".

Listen, I own a small business and I want WIDE LEEWAY in what I can do with my employees. However, I'm not a a-hole, I believe in due process (not talking about strict legal sense, but as a general point of view) and fairness. That's good business.

Cartire

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1j6mt3ed said:
Again, nobody is disputing that Goodell hasn't acted within his powers. That is an entirely different issue. The issue for many fans, the media, and players, is that the rules seem overly harsh. For example:

1) When Goodell renders a decision, the player appeals, and Goodell (or his lackey) hears the appeal lol. I've seen a lot of appeal mechanisms in contracts and CBAs, and very rarely do you see the person hearing the appeal as the same person who rendered the original decision. That's just dumb and is basically a useless "appeal."
2) The Mary Jane threshold for a positive is lower than what they require in the OLYMPICS. Way tougher than the World Doping Commission.
3) Goodell wants to punish on an ALLEGATION (e.g., Rapistburger) or charge, REGARDLESS of whether the person is convicted or charges are dropped.

So you think the above rules are cool? I'm not asking you whether Goodell has this power (he does), just, doesn't that seem heavy handed?

Again, for the billionth time, nobody is saying, "he CAN'T do that". People are saying, "this is heavy handed" which is a completely reasonable response, and again, it is why Goodell is so unpopular among the fans. They view him as an a-hole.

Yes, the players should know the rules (set up by their poor leadership). And yes, players are not going to say, "I screwed up." But that isn't the issue being discussed. The issues is fairness. It seems crazy to me that Goodell wants to suspend players on a "suspicion of DUI".

Listen, I own a small business and I want WIDE LEEWAY in what I can do with my employees. However, I'm not a a-hole, I believe in due process (not talking about strict legal sense, but as a general point of view) and fairness. That's good business.

You do realize that the appeals doesnt go through Goodell right? The NFL has already said they are willing to, and going to change the Mary Jane threshold with the new HGH policy.

I can understand the dispute over punishing for allegations. But this is also not an uncommon practice for high profile figures in corporations.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Cartire":uik4xj3m said:
huskylawyer":uik4xj3m said:

You do realize that the appeals doesnt go through Goodell right? The NFL has already said they are willing to, and going to change the Mary Jane threshold with the new HGH policy.

I can understand the dispute over punishing for allegations. But this is also not an uncommon practice for high profile figures in corporations.

Then what we arguing about lol? That's the point; changing the old draconian rules and making them more fair. :th2thumbs:

And with respect to DUIs, most corporations will wait unless there is an injury or accident. You know why, because most people (judges, lawyers, c-level execs, rank and file employees) have gotten behind the wheel after a few drinks. It is why DUI type offenses are generally treated lighly in the courts (e.g., Stallworth, Little). If people were fired for DUIs, the American economy would collapse lol (we all know folks who have had DUs, and none of the folks I know (including c-level execs) lost their jobs or even had punitive action by the employer).

Cartire

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1khucozi said:
Cartire":1khucozi said:
huskylawyer":1khucozi said:

Then what we arguing about lol? That's the point; changing the old draconian rules and making them more fair. :th2thumbs:

My complaints mainly stem from the tired cliche of blame Goodell. This is a purely blame the NFLPA, and they should even be thankful they are getting a chance to make changes to the policy because of the NFL wanting HGH testing. The fact that they are blaming Goodell, because they arent getting every single wish they desire, is stupid. They need to take the changes they are getting and feel happy. And then they need to hire competent leaders and lawyers for the next round of CBA so they dont screw themselves over next time.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Cartire":78wj1k3z said:
huskylawyer":78wj1k3z said:
Cartire":78wj1k3z said:
huskylawyer":78wj1k3z said:

My complaints mainly stem from the tired cliche of blame Goodell. This is a purely blame the NFLPA, and they should even be thankful they are getting a chance to make changes to the policy because of the NFL wanting HGH testing. The fact that they are blaming Goodell, because they arent getting every single wish they desire, is stupid. They need to take the changes they are getting and feel happy. And then they need to hire competent leaders and lawyers for the next round of CBA so they dont screw themselves over next time.

I agree with you on the union. I just don't like Goodell because he's completely tone deaf, and the college game is starting to become more physical than the NFL because all the stupid rule changes (I understand they come from competition committee for the most part, but he has a had and sets agendas).

The NFLPA is horribly managed. Gene Upshaw had NO BUSINESS being a union leader. He was a NFL defensive end and people thought that made him qualified for the job, while Tagliabue was running circles around him. Smith isn't any better. The problem with the NFLPA is the players are weak and don't make enough money to hold out, whereas baseball players and NBA players can hold out for long times because their salaries are so huge. NFL players have very little leverage and can basically be pushed around.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cartire":127pmu6o said:
huskylawyer":127pmu6o said:
Cartire":127pmu6o said:
huskylawyer":127pmu6o said:

My complaints mainly stem from the tired cliche of blame Goodell. This is a purely blame the NFLPA, and they should even be thankful they are getting a chance to make changes to the policy because of the NFL wanting HGH testing.
:34853_doh: :177692:
Oh please, just stop already!

Roger Goodell is NOT a victim of anything other than his megalomaniacal ego, his desire to control every facet of the game, and his piss poor decisions!

Of course his fanboys are BLIND to this!

The NFL is a success despite of Rog, not because of him!

Cartire

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2y6f4cad said:

Roger Goodell is NOT a victim of anything other than his megalomaniacal ego, his desire to control every facet of the game, and his piss poor decisions!

Oh please just stop. Roger fan boys? Really? Roger has no fan boys. The in thing is to hate everything he does. So nice try. Its very apparent though that the mob mentality is strong on this point. No matter what, Roger is to blame. Its just so simple isnt it.

Rules changes. Rogers fault. (well, no, not really at all. But, hey, lets keep the narrative going)

Rogers punishes someone for breaking a rule stipulated by the CBA. Rogers fault. (no blame whatsoever for the player who broke the rule)

League dramatically increases revenue at an exponential rate during his tenure. Nothing to do with Roger. It would have increased this amount regardless. (I guess its just a crazy coincidence.)

I couldnt care less about Roger. I really couldnt. In fact, if it wasnt for the complete blindness to how things are actually done in the NFL, I wouldnt even have to bring this crap up. But hey, lets keep the hate going, because, its fun? I dont know why really. I assume mostly uninformed fans.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cartire":z4kyq448 said:
Sports Hernia":z4kyq448 said:

Oh please just stop. Roger fan boys? Really? Roger has no fan boys. The in thing is to hate everything he does. So nice try. Its very apparent though that the mob mentality is strong on this point. No matter what, Roger is to blame. Its just so simple isnt it.

Rules changes. Rogers fault. (well, no, not really at all. But, hey, lets keep the narrative going)

Rogers punishes someone for breaking a rule stipulated by the CBA. Rogers fault. (no blame whatsoever for the player who broke the rule)

League dramatically increases revenue at an exponential rate during his tenure. Nothing to do with Roger. It would have increased this amount regardless. (I guess its just a crazy coincidence.)

I couldnt care less about Roger. I really couldnt. In fact, if it wasnt for the complete blindness to how things are actually done in the NFL, I wouldnt even have to bring this crap up. But hey, lets keep the hate going, because, its fun? I dont know why really. I assume mostly uninformed fans.
You couldn't care less about Rog, yet you are always the first to coming running to his defense.... Got it! :roll:

Speaking of the uniformed fan.... It's always entertaining watching Rog's fanboys trying to paint Rog as some powerless figurehead when he is the CEO of the NFL!

Cartire

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2cvtjrlx said:
Cartire":2cvtjrlx said:
Sports Hernia":2cvtjrlx said:

You couldn't care less about Rog, yet you are always the first to coming running to his defense.... Got it! :roll:

Speaking of the uniformed fan.... It's always entertaining watching Rog's fanboys trying to paint Rog as some powerless figurehead when he is the CEO of the NFL!

Ive defended him a few time, yes. But only because it gets stupid annoying reading the constant rage against him that is usally baseless. I dont care to read anything about him, but its get stupid when people dont understand where to direct their disapproval, anger, overall hate. Its like blaming Santa Clause for not getting what you wanted for Christmas.

And you really need to read Bylaws if you want to know what kinda power/control Goodell actually has. http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pu ... df/co_.pdf Hes far more of an owners lackey then he is a CEO. But even if you want to use that analogy, like every CEO, you have to do what the ShareHolders want (IE Owners) if you want to keep your job.

chris98251

Reaction score
Goodell is the worst commissioner football has had in my lifetime, Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue, were much more in tune with the game, the players and the product. All I see is Goodell trying to bully the players into a situation more often than not.

Rozelle overseen the merger of two leagues and started marketing and the television stream of revenue. Tags while being a Lawyer first actually never had a lockout on his watch and overseen the growth of expansion. There has been very little harmony in the league since Goodell took over. Goodells present claim to fame is how high can he increase fines and how long can he suspend players while asking and supporting more rules that try to take any emotion out of the game.

Goodell is in the Shadow of two highly respected and successful commissioners, more then anything I think he is trying to make his mark versus do his job.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is not Goodell's doing, it's the NFLPA.

Peyton has a lot of influence with them and they've been fighting HGH testing for years. But all of a sudden Wes Welker gets a suspension and the NFLPA is ready to accept HGH testing.

No way would Roger go back on a suspension if he could help it. But it's what the NFLPA wants, and they are offering something very valuable in exchange.

Cartire

Reaction score
ivotuk":1ny6kze9 said:
This is not Goodell's doing, it's the NFLPA.

Peyton has a lot of influence with them and they've been fighting HGH testing for years. But all of a sudden Wes Welker gets a suspension and the NFLPA is ready to accept HGH testing.

No way would Roger go back on a suspension if he could help it. But it's what the NFLPA wants, and they are offering something very valuable in exchange.

Yep.

Dismas

Reaction score
Cartire":28b64wbn said:
]

One that immediately pops to mind is Bruce Irvin.
He manned up to his mistake, apologized, and modified his behavior accordingly.

Latest posts