Revisiting the 2016 draft

Optimus25

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":kt5uovol said:
I thought the old axiom was to give a draft 3 years before judging? But I guess this fits the narrative for many around here who like to throw up their hands and say the season's over just 3 games in.

Good point and i think the condemnations were a little harsh anyway. However there's a little truth to some being in season over mode so early, and it's because the whole country knows that for us to take the cake, we must make the road go thru Seattle. Early season squandering seems to be the culprit for missing the seeds we need. So there's a reasonable middle ground before you go too high and right on the other crowd.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ehw3n5h said:
I thought the old axiom was to give a draft 3 years before judging? But I guess this fits the narrative for many around here who like to throw up their hands and say the season's over just 3 games in.

Agreed. Throw Golden Gate in that ring. People called him a bust his first two years, but fans would loved to keep him after SB48. As painful as it can be, we need to be patient unit year 3. In addition, look at how many former young Seahawks are around the NFL.

To me Pete has a better eye for what he wants than John, but I still believe this team, if healthy, will make some post season noise.

getnasty

Reaction score
Reed a bust is laughable, people see a defensive lineman drafted in the second round and think they should have 15 sacks a year. The guy has started from day 1 and is a great run stopper.

nwHawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":13nhscaj said:
[align=][/align]
Bobblehead":13nhscaj said:
Seems we like drafting under the radar type players and players that seem to have some sort of athletic potential that htey can build upon.

We've done that for about 4 years now, perhaps it's just time to start picking the obvious player instead of playing cute draft time games of gathering more picks. I't's just not working, if it did work, more teams would be doing the same thing. Always, and I mean always quality over quantity.

Agreed completely. The philosophy of acquiring more and more later round selections with the idea at least a couple will pan out for depth contrasts with BPA where you may land an impact player in the early rounds. And why the obsession JS has with drafting 10-11 guys when you're going to cut a few of them right off the bat? Why not just draft the 7 best guys you can get by mixing need with BPA?

Yes it's all a roll of the dice, but the double trading down crap should just stop along with the many reaches they make-particularly at OL. Odhiambo and Poole were projected 6th or 7th round and we take them in the 3rd and 4th because...who knows?

There's almost an obsession in this organization to "go against convention" in every aspect and it's becoming concerning. You cannot consistently go against the grain and expect unique results.

Reharding BPA, I'm not a draft expert by any means, but I just can't believe that Ifedi was one of if not their very top guy on their board last year when he was projected a 2nd rounder. (I'm sure they'd argue that they thought he would be gone before their 2nd round pick, but why was he really that high on their board? There were concerns about his technique and one NFC scout said he should've gone back to school and wasn't nearly ready) It seems they key in on a narrow number of players instead of being more open to the available talent as a whole.

It's not Monday morning draft QB to say there's been a lot of talent that PC/JS pass on for unknown reasons. Whoever spotted Carson had a keen eye though and to get Griffin in the 3rd was shrewd.

Baldwin, Carson, Rawls, etc... are the illustrations of why you load up around the draft. Lots of talent available after the top two rounds. We grabbed 3 rbs last year and then get lhcky to uncover Caron this year. There are a ton of "elite" picks that bust. Injuries, mental fatigue, poor scheme fits, etc... A lot of guys fade after they reach their goal of big cash and the NFL. Seahawks seek guys that are hungry, they want dogs. My biggest complain is that Cable seems to prefer smart guys with many flaws over dogs. Moreso than an poisition group. We need more nasty. BSN = Bigger, Stonger and Nastier!!