Richard Sherman won

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1m5ggodz said:
SantaClaraHawk":1m5ggodz said:
Popeyejones":1m5ggodz said:
^^^ Yeah. Sorry.

Running out the door but CB pay for this year was from Over The Cap or Spotrac (I don't remember which one I went to -- the one where it was easier to convert from APY to 2019 pay).

14 million was from all the reporting. I'm guessing the discrepancy of 1 million is the snap % bonus. He needed 90% of snaps to get that bonus and had 87.5% and they gave it to him anyway because that was obviously the right thing to do.

I think the deal worked out for both sides, which rarely happens, but fully agree to disagree on that (totally a matter of opinion, of course) :2thumbs:

Popeye,

Do you think the 9ers pay him next year?

If I were them, I'd lock him in with a bonus-laden contract through 2023, especially as you guys took on the risk in getting him healthy. Even if he gets hurt again, he's now a major--and effective--PR voice for you guys. He's coaching young players. He more than anyone else could transition seamlessly to a staff role.

Oooh, no idea.

They'll be cash strapped but they LOVE him.

The hangup is that he's in line behind Kittle and Buckner (they're not going to start allocating beyond next year until they know how these two slot in long term) so what happens with him this summer kind of depends on what happens with them this summer.

I'd guess it gets done though? They'll certainly offer I think but maybe not what Sherman wants (see Staley's extension which IIRC was pretty below market)

Probably depends on what happens in the new collective bargaining agreement too???

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I think if Richard gets a similar team-friendly deal akin to what he got before, he's going to stay.

Sherm's incented to stay in SF, too, because it's the closest team to Seattle, where he still maintains his residence and at least one business. The cultural fit is very similar, and I think that's one reason why our fanbases are so enraptured with each other even if either never admits this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":26yu7779 said:
I think if Richard gets a similar team-friendly deal akin to what he got before, he's going to stay.

Sherm's incented to stay in SF, too, because it's the closest team to Seattle, where he still maintains his residence and at least one business. The cultural fit is very similar, and I think that's one reason why our fanbases are so enraptured with each other even if either never admits this.

While I do think Sherman likes SF, he'd be stupid to take another team friendly incentive laden deal. Not when he's now healthy and still can play well for another 3-4 years.

He's got the leverage, and that's what new contract negotiations is all about. He can get a big deal with a ton of guaranteed money elsewhere, so I'd be shocked if he takes another deal like he had to before.

One thing we can be sure of, whatever deal he takes will be the most amazing deal negotiated ever.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lo43kp84 said:
SantaClaraHawk":lo43kp84 said:

While I do think Sherman likes SF, he'd be stupid to take another team friendly incentive laden deal. Not when he's now healthy and still can play well for another 3-4 years.

He's got the leverage, and that's what new contract negotiations is all about. He can get a big deal with a ton of guaranteed money elsewhere, so I'd be shocked if he takes another deal like he had to before.

One thing we can be sure of, whatever deal he takes will be the most amazing deal negotiated ever.

Not arguing that he'll take a small team friendly deal, but even now healthy, He's still 31. He still knows he's only got a few years left.

Will be interesting to see what he does.

If SF offers him a deal THIS offseason guaranteeing money into the future, I can see him taking a bit less, but other than to the players, he has no tie to the 49ers.

If he moves on though there are only so many teams that might be interested. They'd have to run the same D and be interested in big money for 32 year old player. That means they'd need to see themselves as a contender.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":2jxlx8qi said:
Sgt. Largent":2jxlx8qi said:
SantaClaraHawk":2jxlx8qi said:

Not arguing that he'll take a small team friendly deal, but even now healthy, He's still 31. He still knows he's only got a few years left.

If SF offers him a deal THIS offseason guaranteeing money into the future, I can see him taking a bit less, but other than to the players, he has no tie to the 49ers.

If he moves on though there are only so many teams that might be interested. They'd have to run the same D and be interested in big money for 32 year old player. That means they'd need to see themselves as a contender.

You can spin it however you want but statistically Sherman is again a top 10 CB, and isn't even in the top 20 for salary WITH meeting all his incentives this year.

https://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

So while again he may love playing in SF, I can guarantee you he's going to want one more big guaranteed contract to put him back in the top 10 highest paid CB's in the league............and for as important as the current state of the NFL defense for having as many good CB's as you can, and a shutdown CB like Richard who's now healthy?

Someone's going to give it to him, and it might not be the Niners who only have 23M of cap space next year, and no cap space in 2021.

Welcome to the Hawk's problem of 2013 and 2014. Lots of rookie contracts for important players coming up for negotiation and extensions.

chris98251

Reaction score
He made the Pro Bowl again, so his market will be good, however he isn't the right body type to play a Safety so that transition probably won't happen, he is also at the point where even quick twitch bursty guys start dropping off as far as speed goes if your not named Darrell Green.

I think he has one contract left and he may end next season as a back up / Mentor type guy.

He proves people wrong all the time, but Father time is hard to get by.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Richard's a consummate businessman, but remember, when the Hawks released him, he got calls from other teams (Lions) as well. He didn't give them a sniff. He went straight to SF, negotiated a deal w/them, presented it back to Hawks and when they didn't match, he stayed with the 9ers.

And that was Richard around the same time he formally married his GF, around the same time he had his second kid. Those milestones lead a man to settle down. But more than that, Richard solidified o pportunities in the Bay he never could have had otherwise. He wants to coach here, that'd be available. He wants to become even richer than he is, the door to Joe Montana's hedge fund is most likely open. He literally gets to be where the cultures are very similar, where his children are growing up, and where he's very comfortable.

The Niners' cap space is tight, but it's Paarag Marathe (the pres) moveable. Paarag restructures deals all the time to get more cap space. He can do a lot with a little wiggle room.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":217fxxal said:
Marvin49":217fxxal said:
Sgt. Largent":217fxxal said:
SantaClaraHawk":217fxxal said:

You can spin it however you want but statistically Sherman is again a top 10 CB, and isn't even in the top 20 for salary WITH meeting all his incentives this year.

So while again he may love playing in SF, I can guarantee you he's going to want one more big guaranteed contract to put him back in the top 10 highest paid CB's in the league............and for as important as the current state of the NFL defense for having as many good CB's as you can, and a shutdown CB like Richard who's now healthy?

Someone's going to give it to him, and it might not be the Niners who only have 23M of cap space next year, and no cap space in 2021.

Welcome to the Hawk's problem of 2013 and 2014. Lots of rookie contracts for important players coming up for negotiation and extensions.

Sooooooo.....couple things there.....

1) I'm not spinning anything. I am not making any prediction RE Sherman, so what is there to spin? All I'm sayin is he's not gonna get a huge contract at 32. Now maybe market value for 2-3 years, but not a blockbuster. Teams don't know how long he'll perform at this level. The guarantees were a BIG thing to him in the last contract negotiation (it was incentive heavy, but included guarantee for the next year and the ability to guarantee a year with perfromance...which he didn't have on his last Seattle deal). I agree he won't be looking for and incentive laden contract. I think he'll be looking for guarantees this time.

2) The Niners aren't nearly as strapped as you make out. In 2020 they may be 23 mil under, but they are under now and will roll that space over. Also likely McKinnon is gone and Richburg has already restructured his contract and I don't think that's reflected. Goodwin likely gone as well. As for 2021 I think you need to read better. Unless you think the cap will DROP about 40 million, the only reason the Niners are listed with $0 in cap space is that there is no set cap yet...IE the site doesn't yet know what the salary cap will be. They have $0 in cap space for EVERY year after this one.

If Dee Ford has another year like this one next year, they have an out after year 2 and that's 13 mil in savings. The Niners could even extend Sherman, restructuring next years $$$ and end up with MORE space.

This isn't to say that the 49ers won't eventually have cap issues, but you are GREATLY overstating them in the near future.

Should also be noted that the CBA expires after 2020 (and thats a big reason they don't know what the cap will be) but it is very likely the players will demand a bigger share of revenue and the cap will go up. Dramatically.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":rfx7ztob said:
He made the Pro Bowl again, so his market will be good, however he isn't the right body type to play a Safety so that transition probably won't happen, he is also at the point where even quick twitch bursty guys start dropping off as far as speed goes if your not named Darrell Green.

I think he has one contract left and he may end next season as a back up / Mentor type guy.

He proves people wrong all the time, but Father time is hard to get by.

Father Time is undefeated.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":1xw5ifmi said:
Sgt. Largent":1xw5ifmi said:
Marvin49":1xw5ifmi said:
Sgt. Largent":1xw5ifmi said:

1) I'm not spinning anything. I am not making any prediction RE Sherman, so what is there to spin? All I'm sayin is he's not gonna get a huge contract at 32. Now maybe market value for 2-3 years, but not a blockbuster. Teams don't know how long he'll perform at this level. The guarantees were a BIG thing to him in the last contract negotiation. I agree he won't be looking for and incentive laden contract. I think he'll be looking for guarantees this time.

2) The Niners aren't nearly as strapped as you make out. In 2020 they may be 23 mil under, but they are under now and will roll that space over. Also likely McKinnon is gone and Richburg has already restructured his contract and I don't think that's reflected. Goodwin likely gone as well. As for 2021 I think you need to read better. Unless you think the cap will DROP about 40 million, the only reason the Niners are listed with $0 in cap space is that there is no set cap yet...IE the site doesn't yet know what the salary cap will be. They have $0 in cap space for EVERY year after this one.

If Dee Ford has another year like this one next year, they have an out after year 2 and that's 13 mil in savings. The Niners could even extend Sherman, restructuring next years $$$ and end up with MORE space.

This isn't to say that the 49ers won't eventually have cap issues, but you are GREATLY overstating them in the near future.

Should also be noted that the CBA expires after 2020 (and thats a big reason they don't know what the cap will be) but it is very likely the players will demand a bigger share of revenue and the cap will go up. Dramatically.

I only said spin because you're spinning a way for Sherman to stay with the Niners because;

1. He loves it there
2. He's not going to be in as demand as I think

So while I think you are correct on #1, I do not think you are correct on #2. Sherman's a top 10 CB, maybe even top 5, regardless of scheme or age..........and I disagree with you completely that the market is going to be cold for him.

CB's are too important for a CB like Richard not to break the bank with someone. That's what we were saying about Earl, too old, too hurt, too dependent on system, and Baltimore made him the highest paid safety.

Richard might not become the highest paid CB, but believe me he's going to get paid. Either by SF, or someone else. So if you think you're going to get another team friendly deal out of him? Good luck.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33iu2n7v said:
Marvin49":33iu2n7v said:
Sgt. Largent":33iu2n7v said:
Marvin49":33iu2n7v said:

1) I'm not spinning anything. I am not making any prediction RE Sherman, so what is there to spin? All I'm sayin is he's not gonna get a huge contract at 32. Now maybe market value for 2-3 years, but not a blockbuster. Teams don't know how long he'll perform at this level. The guarantees were a BIG thing to him in the last contract negotiation. I agree he won't be looking for and incentive laden contract. I think he'll be looking for guarantees this time.

I only said spin because you're spinning a way for Sherman to stay with the Niners because;

1. He loves it there
2. He's not going to be in as demand as I think

So while I think you are correct on #1, I do not think you are correct on #2. Sherman's a top 10 CB, maybe even top 5, regardless of scheme or age..........and I disagree with you completely that the market is going to be cold for him.

CB's are too important for a CB like Richard not to break the bank with someone. That's what we were saying about Earl, too old, too hurt, too dependent on system, and Baltimore made him the highest paid safety.

Richard might not become the highest paid CB, but believe me he's going to get paid. Either by SF, or someone else. So if you think you're going to get another team friendly deal out of him? Good luck.

1) I didn't say he loves it here. I said he has no ties here. I don't think he'd be loyal to the Niners after only a few years. He see's writing on the wall and is looking for $$$ to finish his career.

2) I think there will be a demand for him. I think the issue is that he only really fits a specific style of D and that limits the number of teams who would see him as an option. Among those teams, you'd be looking for a team that feels they can pay top dollar for a 32 year old CB...IE it would have to be a team that thinks they can compete for a title. Otherwise, makes no sense to make huge investment for aging player.

I am not saying that there aren't multiple teams that would fit that criteria. In all honesty, we have no idea who might fit that bill until NEXT offseason.

As for the comparison to Earl....there is a big difference between safety and corner. Safeties don't become corners late in their careers.

BTW, I never said he WOULD take a discount to stay in SF. I think he'll be looking for the best deal to finish his career. In that case, I think he'll be looking for guarantees. I think the only way he MIGHT take a discount is if...

1) They guarantee a few years for him at a slightly discounted rate...thus enabling him to be sure he gets good $$$ and isn't cut after 1 year...

or

2) He regresses next year and the offers aren't what he wants.

To be clear, this isn't what I am EXPECTING. I have no expectations right now other than he is likely to be a Niner next year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":9fasfi12 said:
To be clear, this isn't what I am EXPECTING. I have no expectations right now other than he is likely to be a Niner next year.

I can't imagine any scenario where Richard goes to training camp next summer without a new long term deal. No way in hell he's fine with finishing out his contract with the Niners for 10M in 2020.

So either the Niners have to pony up and give him a new deal, or they trade him to a team that will.

But no Niner fan should be thinking Richard's cool with finishing out his Niner deal in 2020. Why would he do that? He's got the leverage hammer now, and since this is going to be his last chance at a big deal with bigtime guaranteed money, he's going to swing that leverage hammer.

So the question now is do you think the Niners give him a big deal, or do you think they're OK with trading him for a middle round pick and let him walk to a team that will?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2io0p9ai said:
Marvin49":2io0p9ai said:

I can't imagine any scenario where Richard goes to training camp next summer without a new long term deal. No way in hell he's fine with finishing out his contract with the Niners for 10M in 2020.

So either the Niners have to pony up and give him a new deal, or they trade him to a team that will.

But no Niner fan should be thinking Richard's cool with finishing out his Niner deal in 2020. Why would he do that? He's got the leverage hammer now, and since this is going to be his last chance at a big deal with bigtime guaranteed money, he's going to swing that leverage hammer.

So the question now is do you think the Niners give him a big deal, or do you think they're OK with trading him for a middle round pick and let him walk to a team that will?

um...he'd be under contract bro. LOL.

He may not be cool with it, but they have him under contract at that number. I don't see him walking away from a guaranteed 10 mil contract after betting on himself to earn it.

Will the Niners pony up big $$$ for him? No idea. Certainly not on a long term deal.

I think there is a misconception though. You guys are looking at this through the lens of prime Richard Sherman before getting cut. You are looking at the Sherman who was in Seattle.

Now maybe you are 100% correct and he's in it for every dollar he can squeeze. Dunno. The feeling I got tho in reading his reactions to the contract he signed and why he accepted what he did was that he was interested in the guarantees and the ability to pick up what he lost in Seattle with incentives. I totally agree that a healthy Sherman won't take those incentives this time around, but the reality is that its now 2 years later and he's seen that ANYONE can be cut and the contract means nothing to teams if the $$$ aren't guaranteed.

What does that mean? It means I have no idea how this is gonna go. Nobody does. I am not and will not assert that he will for sure accept less.

Do I think the Niners would pay him huge? Probably not, but who knows.

I will tell you one thing RE loyalty tho and I have no idea if it matters or not....

....one of the incentives in his contract was that he play 90% of the defensive snaps this year.

Sherman injured his hamstring and missed a game which would make it impossible to hit that 90%.

The 49ers told him they'd let hi hit that incentive anyway so that he didn't feel the need to push himself back and get re injured.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/49ers-took-a-chance-on-Richard-Sherman-it-s-14922638.php

Sherman said Wednesday that Lynch agreed to give him a $1 million playing-time incentive he wouldn’t otherwise have earned this season. Sherman needed to play 90% of the snaps to earn the incentive. He’s played 85.5% of the snaps with two regular-season games remaining.

Sherman revealed he’d receive his playing-time incentive when asked if that $1 million bonus provided more motivation to not miss games due to injury.

“John and I had a conversation early in the year about that,” Sherman said. “And they … had already given me that incentive. So there’s no incentive for me, in terms of financial, for me to be like, ‘I’ve got to come back to get this amount of money.’ It’s always what’s best for the team.”

That good-faith gesture could have been inspired by Sherman’s performance both on and off the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":yxrdnlhe said:
Sgt. Largent":yxrdnlhe said:
Marvin49":yxrdnlhe said:

um...he'd be under contract bro. LOL..

C'mon, what player coming off a Pro Bowl caliber year going into the last year of a low-ball contract didn't demand a new deal?

I'd be shocked if Richard's cool with playing out his deal at 10M.

We'll see.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1lf0v13q said:

I think the 9ers offer him more on a 2 year for some more money, guaranteed, and I think he takes that over a Detroit or Carolina or Indy or Dallas who offer a bit more. I mean, if they offer him 30M, he's gonna go. But I doubt anyone will.

Sherm's one of the smartest men in the league. He has seen all his teammates except BWags and KJ retire. He's always been looking beyond to the next thing. His being here, his humint skills, makes that happen. He could invest in any number of SV ventures here that'd take off b/c of him and become even more infinitesimally more wealthy than he already is without harming his body more. If they win the ring this year, it might even be the year he hangs it up.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ftlyxld said:
Marvin49":2ftlyxld said:
Sgt. Largent":2ftlyxld said:
Marvin49":2ftlyxld said:

um...he'd be under contract bro. LOL..

C'mon, what player coming off a Pro Bowl caliber year going into the last year of a low-ball contract didn't demand a new deal?

I'd be shocked if Richard's cool with playing out his deal at 10M.

We'll see.

As I've said...I have no idea what's going to happen. I just find it hard to believe he'd work out his contract specifically to include a guaranteed year if he hits specific escalators, hit them guaranteeing the next year under contract....and then hold out. Doesn't make sense to me. Otherwise he could have just made it a 2 year deal and be a free agent. He didn't do that. He wanted the guarantees.

However, I don't put anything outside the realm of possibility. We'll see.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2tbgz5ef said:
Sgt. Largent":2tbgz5ef said:

I think the 9ers offer him more on a 2 year for some more money, guaranteed, and I think he takes that over a Detroit or Carolina or Indy or Dallas who offer a bit more. I mean, if they offer him 30M, he's gonna go. But I doubt anyone will.

Sherm's one of the smartest men in the league. He has seen all his teammates except BWags and KJ retire. He's always been looking beyond to the next thing. His being here, his humint skills, makes that happen. He could invest in any number of SV ventures here that'd take off b/c of him and become even more infinitesimally more wealthy than he already is without harming his body more. If they win the ring this year, it might even be the year he hangs it up.

Could be, but I doubt it.

If they win it this year, my guess is he takes that last year of guaranteed $$$ and tries to do it again.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":qz7ik7y2 said:
Richard's a consummate businessman, but remember, when the Hawks released him, he got calls from other teams (Lions) as well. He didn't give them a sniff. He went straight to SF, negotiated a deal w/them, presented it back to Hawks and when they didn't match, he stayed with the 9ers.

And that was Richard around the same time he formally married his GF, around the same time he had his second kid. Those milestones lead a man to settle down. But more than that, Richard solidified o pportunities in the Bay he never could have had otherwise. He wants to coach here, that'd be available. He wants to become even richer than he is, the door to Joe Montana's hedge fund is most likely open. He literally gets to be where the cultures are very similar, where his children are growing up, and where he's very comfortable.

The Niners' cap space is tight, but it's Paarag Marathe (the pres) moveable. Paarag restructures deals all the time to get more cap space. He can do a lot with a little wiggle room.

Fast Eddie is needed again me thinks :)

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3lm48af6 said:
Sgt. Largent":3lm48af6 said:

He's good Friends with Marshawn Lynch, Lynch has helped set up multiple team mates with investments for retirement, remember he has never touched any of his NFL salary money and does pretty damn well, I would not be surprised if he didn't have things already matured having played with Lynch so many years.