Richard Sherman won

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":1lqr28iw said:
Sgt. Largent":1lqr28iw said:
Marvin49":1lqr28iw said:
Sgt. Largent":1lqr28iw said:
I can't imagine any scenario where Richard goes to training camp next summer without a new long term deal. No way in hell he's fine with finishing out his contract with the Niners for 10M in 2020.

So either the Niners have to pony up and give him a new deal, or they trade him to a team that will.

But no Niner fan should be thinking Richard's cool with finishing out his Niner deal in 2020. Why would he do that? He's got the leverage hammer now, and since this is going to be his last chance at a big deal with bigtime guaranteed money, he's going to swing that leverage hammer.

So the question now is do you think the Niners give him a big deal, or do you think they're OK with trading him for a middle round pick and let him walk to a team that will?

um...he'd be under contract bro. LOL..

C'mon, what player coming off a Pro Bowl caliber year going into the last year of a low-ball contract didn't demand a new deal?

I'd be shocked if Richard's cool with playing out his deal at 10M.

We'll see.

As I've said...I have no idea what's going to happen. I just find it hard to believe he'd work out his contract specifically to include a guaranteed year if he hits specific escalators, hit them guaranteeing the next year under contract....and then hold out. Doesn't make sense to me. Otherwise he could have just made it a 2 year deal and be a free agent. He didn't do that. He wanted the guarantees.

However, I don't put anything outside the realm of possibility. We'll see.

It makes perfect sense if you'd like to make 15M a year for 3-4 years with 40-50M guaranteed instead of one year guaranteed at 10M.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vlpb3up said:
Marvin49":2vlpb3up said:
Sgt. Largent":2vlpb3up said:
Marvin49":2vlpb3up said:
um...he'd be under contract bro. LOL..

C'mon, what player coming off a Pro Bowl caliber year going into the last year of a low-ball contract didn't demand a new deal?

I'd be shocked if Richard's cool with playing out his deal at 10M.

We'll see.

As I've said...I have no idea what's going to happen. I just find it hard to believe he'd work out his contract specifically to include a guaranteed year if he hits specific escalators, hit them guaranteeing the next year under contract....and then hold out. Doesn't make sense to me. Otherwise he could have just made it a 2 year deal and be a free agent. He didn't do that. He wanted the guarantees.

However, I don't put anything outside the realm of possibility. We'll see.

It makes perfect sense if you'd like to make 15M a year for 3-4 years with 40-50M guaranteed instead of one year guaranteed at 10M.

You could very well be right. I don't think that contract will be out there for him....well unless the new CBA like doubles the cap or something.

I'm not saying its impossible though. I just doubt it.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If I'm SF I plan to get the last year out of him then let him walk. Just like we did with Earl. Giving a 32 year old corner a big guaranteed deal for 2-3 years beyond 2020 is foolhardy and there is no reason to do it when you've got cap considerations for Armstead, Buckner, Warner, Kittle, etc coming up. I'd be drafting young corners and squeezing a last year from Sherman.

If I'm Sherman I might ask for a new deal, and maybe threaten a hold out. But no one is going to seriously believe a player is going to leave 10 million on the table at age 32. Especially at corner. Earl Thomas was in that same spot and played the season and became a FA. And he was only 29.

You only hold out when you are young and have years to make it up. If you are a 32 year old football player, you take the money and run.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":254dr18x said:
He's lucky he's been able to bounce back because, IMO, it's still a bad contract for anyone that considers themself a top CB in the league. 49ers are still the winners on that deal. Meeting all of his incentives this year netted him somewhere around $13MM this season which definitely helps, but that barely cracks top 10 CB salary in 2019.
What do agents make, though? 10%? Bump his salary up by that much and where does it compare?

xray

Reaction score
Many jeered him in here and beyond ; and he had the last laugh . He is looked up to by the team and has been very instrumental in bringing swagger back to their defense . He has tons of playoff experience ; and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a game changing play in these playoffs . He will get his $$ going forward . IMO

xray

Reaction score
xray":30755vt0 said:
Many jeered him in here and beyond ; and he had the last laugh . He is looked up to by the team and has been very instrumental in bringing swagger back to their defense . He has tons of playoff experience ; and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a game changing play in these playoffs . He will get his $$ going forward . IMO
And he gets the interception ...just like that. :D

mikeak

Reaction score
People that said it was a bad contract simply didn't get it. He had just been injured. Any guaranteed contracts would have been for minimal money due to the injury

So you write one with big incentives if you recover which hits automatically. If you don't recover you actually don't lose anything and if you recover you aren't stuck with a low paying contract

I said it at the time and it turned out good because he recovered, but it was actually never going to not work out. If he never recovers he would not made much but there was no option paying a ton of money...

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sherman won. He is playing for a superbowl appearance. Hawks haven't been back yet depending on tomorrow.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Sherm won his contract and he is smart but he let his ego get the better of him.

Kam will go down as everyone’s all-time favorite LOB member.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Dude is awesome. We are glad to have him. He makes a big difference on our team.

:229031_thewave: :229031_thewave:

Shaz

Reaction score
He gambled on himself and he won, he's always going to be one of my favorite players ever, I'm very happy he's doing awesome and can't wait to see him in Canton

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
xray":38ig901e said:

I miss Sherm.....

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1yk6me2f said:
Sherm won his contract and he is smart but he let his ego get the better of him.

Nope. It'll be Sherm.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
The Legion of Boom was such an era in Seahawks history that it'll probably never repeat itself in any form, ever. Truth is, whether we admit it or not, we all have fond memories of Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor being the three headed beast of the LOB.

I think some on this board may favor Chancellor more since he stayed and retired as a Seahawk, but that was mainly due to a career ending injury. Had he not gotten hurt would he have stayed? Who knows quite frankly, but the fact is he did, and was, and retired a Seahawk. Lets not forgot his holdout though, and that season the team went 0-2 the first two games he missed. I think ET and Sherm are harder to swallow because of ET's last two seasons with the team were marred with injury and terrible attitude, and Sherms diva persona starting to become grating even to the biggest of fans.

Truth is I miss all three. Of the three I think I miss Sherm the most. He was a personality. He's intelligent and he knows his position well and to this day is playing like an All-Pro, so good for him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":4slxb72v said:
The Legion of Boom was such an era in Seahawks history that it'll probably never repeat itself in any form, ever. Truth is, whether we admit it or not, we all have fond memories of Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor being the three headed beast of the LOB.

I think some on this board may favor Chancellor more since he stayed and retired as a Seahawk, but that was mainly due to a career ending injury. Had he not gotten hurt would he have stayed? Who knows quite frankly, but the fact is he did, and was, and retired a Seahawk. Lets not forgot his holdout though, and that season the team went 0-2 the first two games he missed. I think ET and Sherm are harder to swallow because of ET's last two seasons with the team were marred with injury and terrible attitude, and Sherms diva persona starting to become grating even to the biggest of fans.

Truth is I miss all three. Of the three I think I miss Sherm the most. He was a personality. He's intelligent and he knows his position well and to this day is playing like an All-Pro, so good for him.

Don't leave off Browner, he brought physicality that nobody had seen in a CB before, Safeties yes but CB, no. That was the original LOB, everyone else that came in after he left was a place holder. He and Chancellor were why that name came about primarily and Sherman and Thomas brought Brains and Speed, Kam was also the quiet leader and stabilizer.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":2ikeduai said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2ikeduai said:

Nope. It'll be Sherm.

Yeah. I just don't get it.

Hawks fans are going to celebrate the very good player over the two best player's at their positions in their generations because why?

It just doesn't make any sense.

Kam held out into the regular season to get paid more.

Thomas was asking the team that beat him in the playoffs to come get him within minutes of losing.

Sherman's sin was getting cut by the Hawks and the Hawks saying "no" to resigning him when he kept leaving the room in his negotiations with the 9ers as he was desperately trying to stay on the team that just cut him. What an @sshole!!! :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":o9kaxtkq said:
SixSeahawk":o9kaxtkq said:
TheLegendOfBoom":o9kaxtkq said:

Nope. It'll be Sherm.

Hawks fans are going to celebrate the very good player over the two best player's at their positions in their generations because why?

Thomas was asking the team that beat him in the playoffs to come get him within minutes of losing.

Sherman's sin was getting cut by the Hawks and the Hawks saying "no" to resigning him when he kept leaving the room in his negotiations with the 9ers as he was desperately trying to stay on the team that just cut him. What an @sshole!!! :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

It's not nearly as black and white as this.

Richard Sherman is/was an outspoken advocate on both political and social issues that many Hawks fans were uncomfortable with or completely opposed to. This is in addition to his many comments about the coaching staff and QB, and petty battles with the press. And that's assuming every Hawks fan was not offended by his actions at the end of the NFCC game.

His departure from the Hawks was all the reason for people who did not like that aspect of his personality to tee off on him.

Personally, I always appreciated Sherman. I don't care that he's gone. I don't care that he's with the 9ers. I enjoyed him here.

But Sherman's "sin" in the eyes of many Hawk's fans was not just getting cut.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":eyofikln said:
Popeyejones":eyofikln said:
SixSeahawk":eyofikln said:
TheLegendOfBoom":eyofikln said:

Nope. It'll be Sherm.

It's not nearly as black and white as this.

Richard Sherman is/was an outspoken advocate on both political and social issues that many Hawks fans were uncomfortable with or completely opposed to. This is in addition to his many comments about the coaching staff and QB, and petty battles with the press. And that's assuming every Hawks fan was not offended by his actions at the end of the NFCC game.

His departure from the Hawks was all the reason for people who did not like that aspect of his personality to tee off on him.

Personally, I always appreciated Sherman. I don't care that he's gone. I don't care that he's with the 9ers. I enjoyed him here.

But Sherman's "sin" in the eyes of many Hawk's fans was not just getting cut.
I personally didn't like Sherman while he was here, and it has nothing to do with his political or social stances.

You've pretty much nailed why some of us didn't like him. For me it all started with his weird Skip Bayless 'better at life than you' comment, and dovetailed into his constant battles with the media where he'd lie about the interactions despite the fact that there was audio/video of what he'd said.

He was a hell of a player but he always struck me, on the surface, as a bit of a self-serving individual who could never admit when he was wrong. People like to point to the final play of the Super Bowl as the beginning of the end for the Hawks near-dynasty. I tend to point to guys like Sherman and their inability to move on as the real demise. It's hard for me to blame the Hawks for moving on from him.

Latest posts