Rivalry

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
After the Sharpie game, the Hawks went on a Niner tear. 6 straight, a few blowouts and I pretty much laughed at the Niners until 2011. Not because they swept the Hawks led by TJack, but because they beat teams playing small ball.

I figure the teams started really hating each other pretty hard around the time Carroll and Harbs took over. Now they just rip on each other. They are commercial material as a rivalry.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Largent80":bnbsuxls said:
Well, guess what, 30 minutes ago, I was making a right turn (on my bike again) Seahawk championship T-Shirt on, this dude that looks like he dropped out of a severe autism clinic yells...49er's DUDE, and throws a rock at me.

Guess what?...Lather, rinse , repeat.
Dude, you beat up an autistic guy? What's wrong with you?

j/k :lol:

irocdave

Reaction score
This thread is turning in to "when did you start hating niner fans" lol. I have to admit I was really caught up in the niner hate until we won the SB. Guess it was all that pent up Seattle sports fan dogma that had built up over my life. We didn't have the internet in the 80's, you know, the 1st period of Hawk close to greatness and the media never gave the Hawks much play because they were in SE Alaska and were considered a small market team. The that POS from northern CA bought the team and ran it in to the ground and the Hawks got zero media coverage, still no internet. Same time period the M's POS owner was trying to move them to Florida. Sonics weren't doing very well either. Early 90's were dark days except for the beast in Mountlake. Then the PAC 9 made the best coach know one knows quit. Dark times indeed. Sonics got good with rainman and the glove and get screwed out of a chance at the NBA finals because the round mound...man Im off in the weeds.

Point is when the hawks got good again we had the internet and could communicate easily with other fans. the Stealers fans were horrible, bandwagon POS that they are. We get hosed in the SB. Social media didn't do a dam thing but give us a voice as fans.

The Hawks get good again and we see that niner fans are worse than Stealer fans, more arrogant in social media, more self centered, more self righteous about how great their team is and how they think all hawk fans are bandwagon fans because they never heard from us before and don't know anything about our team. That about sums it up from my perspective.

Today, I could care less what any fan thinks of the Hawks. Also don't care how the media covers the Hawks. I've watched enough football over 40+ years to know how good they are and already have 1 SB pelt on the wall and are loaded for another.

The Hawks and niners are the best rivalry in the NFL today because they are both great teams. The games in SF were really close and well played. If the Hawks wouldn't crush niner dreams in Seattle the home games would be nationally televised consistently. It also helps when you know both coaches don't like each other.

chris98251

Reaction score
Go to the NFL Forum, go to the Webzone, the 49er responses will tell you everything you want to know.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Same with the response of Seahawk fans the animosity can get real fast. It is only a game but I don't think either fan base could tell you that it's the same as playing any other team. The fans are up for it as well as the teams, even the coaches have thinly veiled contempt. The stakes are high cause lets face it the 49ers are a good team and a couple losses to them puts them with home field. I think we can take them there but history shows the clink is an advantage.

Escamillo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ln344hp4 said:
49ers fans don't want to acknowledge that we're legit, so even if we knock them out of the next four consecutive NFCCGs, we still won't be a rival "like the Cowboys" to them. :roll:

Yeah, that's what they claim. Besides being indicative of living in the past, it's meant to be an insult to Seahawks fans. "Seahawks are too insignificant to be our rivals, our REAL rivals are the Cowboys.".

Meanwhile, if you ask Cowboys fans who their REAL rival are, they don't say the 49ers, they say their division opponents are. So niner fans insult Seahawks fans by not acknowledging a rivalry and citing the Cowboys as their rivlas, then that must mean that Cowboys fans are in effect insulting niner fans by considering their division opponents greater rivals than the niners. :lol:

Escamillo

Reaction score
Niner fans have a sense of entitlement. They think that because they won 5 SBs decades ago, that it's their birthright to win SBs or at least win their division. Well ever since the Seahawks joined the NFCW, they've been the most dominant team in that division, first under Holmgren, now under Carroll.

Since Seahawks joined NFCW in the 2002 season:
Seahawks have 6 division titles, 2 conference titles, 1 Super Bowl title
49ers have 3 division titles, 1 conference title
Cardinals have 2 division titles, 1 conference title
Rams have 1 division title

Additionally, the wildcard appearances during that same time:
Seahawks have 2 wildcards
49ers have 1 wildcard
Rams have 1 wildcard

So clearly, Seahawks have dominated the division since we entered it. That pisses niner fans off, because it goes against what they feel is their birthright of dominance. That fuels the rivalry, though 49er fans are loathe to admit it. Oh, there was also the Seahawks ending the 49ers no-shut-out streak, which also pissed their fans off.

From Seahawks' fans perspective, the rivalry didn't begin until Harbaugh went to the niners, because the niners were crap for years before that. Seattle owned them. But Harbaugh made them good, so that's when Seahawks fans began to hate the niners.

Lastly, the coaches carry their own rivalry back to the USC/Stanford days. Harbaugh got the better of Carroll in those days, and at first got the better of him in the NFL, but no more. :thirishdrinkers:

NINEster

Reaction score
OK, here's the deal on 49er rivalries:

The Seahawks are a real rivalry to the 49ers. It is still rather new, and I don't think the peak all time hate is there like it is for other old foes, but it's getting there. It's certainly the bitterest division rivalry since the Rams in late '90s/early '00s.

Now as far as the Cowboys are concerned, I'd say over the context of the last 40+ years they would be #1. Knocked us out of two NFCCs in early '70s. We knocked them out in '81 NFCC. They knocked us out of '92 and '93 before we returned the favor in '94. All NFCCs and toughly contested. A lot of missed super bowls for both teams there.

But the thing is that the overall hate for the Cowboys never lasted very long past '96 or so, as they slowly faded from being a contender. Green Bay immediately took that mantle and we became their whipping boy for a very long time. Up until 2002 or so, big time hate for them.

However, again, hate for them faded as we dropped out of relevance. Watching them on any given Sunday I am more or less indifferent to their success (just like Dallas). I think I rooted against them a bit in late 2011 seeing that we might be playoff foes that year. We've won every matchup with them since then, so not a lot of reason to hate them.

New Orleans Saints are lodged right now between Green Bay and Seattle. Old NFC West hate is clearly still there, but more from them because they were irrelevant back then. Now that they had their time in the sun they feel a little entitled to still be considered a top 3 NFC team. I don't like them but reserve the hate unti we play them. Carolina is slowly entering that very same picture.

The NY Football Giants. Ok, that's a team I loathe. We've suffered a good amount of tough painful losses to them, and their fanbase seems so entitled to think they should hate us more for no other reason but perhaps our '80s dominance and knocking them out of a wildcard game they should have won in 2002. They twice KO'd Joe Montana in the playoffs, ended a 3peat and sent a few vets packing the next season, and of course denied our upstart Harbaugh team from the Super Bowl. I don't know if that's a debt that could be paid back.

And to top it off, as much as it can be contentious to talk to Seahawk fans on this board at times, it is nothing like interacting with Giants' fans on their boards. You would think they were in the NFC West splitting games each year instead of Seattle. Even when the 49ers were down for a decade, they still enjoyed seeing them suck. Outside of the NFC East they hate us more than anybody else in the league by a long shot.

I had "lost" my hate for the Giants when they were garbage in the '90s and mediocre up unti Eli's first super bowl win. I even rooted for them to beat the Patriots as they were the annoying team at the time.

Now after last season, I will vow to hate them till the end of time, rooting for them MAYBE if it were a elimination scenario to get SF in the playoffs. Last year that sorta was the case for home field advantage and I did initially want them to win the game. But being the ungrateful jerks those fans are to support them in that scenario has made me wish they go 0-16 every year. :)

So yeah this year, I'll root for the Hawks to blow them out....and for the rest of the NFC West to do the same to them. I want the Giants removed from any form of relevance, and we're almost there. Hoping Arizona hands them an L this weekend with their D playing like it's week 16 in Seattle.

Just to put that into context, 20 years from now I'll still hate the Giants winning SB 46 but will probably not be so bothered by the Seahawks winning SB 48.

As for the NFC West rivals, I rooted for Seattle and Arizona in their first super bowls but never the Rams. Might have been a different tune if SF was a legit team those years (and they were when the Rams played in them), but the Seahawk/49er rivalry only became REAL IMO in 2011, and took on another level in 2012 and has kept growing. It looks to stay on path for the next few years for sure.

What really drives the rivalry is the enemy fans hating your team, coaches, players, etc. Without hatred on a personal level, it's not a rivalry.

Just browse the forums and you'll see where the real rivalries exist.

Now that there's clearly no competition but Seattle, it's a very real rivalry.

ps - Any old rivalry can very, very quickly come back. Dallas, Green Bay, NYG, etc...

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well I get fan hate, but the teams need to feel it for it to really be a rivalry.

Washington Redskins fans hate us because we've knocked them out of the playoffs the last 4 times or so. I'd hate a team for that as well, but no one considers it a rivalry. I think a rival are teams that play at least once a year.

The most interesting rivalry to me is one created by the NFL. Which ever team Manning plays for, against the Patriots and Brady. The NFL schedules that every year, so it's become a rivalry.

As for Harbaugh and Carroll having thinly veiled contempt for eachother....don't most coaches have thinly (or not so thinly) veiled contempt for Harbaugh ? His antics are over the top and it's even starting to wear thin in SF from a lot of reports.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The NFL did not purposely create Brady v Manning it was created by two factors...

1. Both Eli and Peyton's refusal to play on a team in the same conference
2. The tendency for both Brady and Manning to consistently win their respective division's
2a. The tendency for both to be in divisions that have been weak during their career's