The 2024 draft

Chawker

Reaction score
At the top of this years draft, its all offense! With us drafting at #15th you'd think that we could land a good defensive play, after all thats where we need the help the most, right ? A new defensive minded coach,

Lets look at the good and bad schools, for example, LSU not a good school to look into drafting a defensive players, if not for Daniels and Wilson, LSU would of lost alot more games in 2023.

Florida ST was a under valued school with some good young kids that are hard hitters.Even without QB J. Travis late in the season there defense pulled it together.

Michgan, Ohio ST. and some of the Texas schools have a good number of draftable players.

The NFL is hell bent on offense right now I really think that this is a opertoon time to think about biulding a superior defense here in Seattle.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
At the top of this years draft, its all offense! With us drafting at #15th you'd think that we could land a good defensive play, after all thats where we need the help the most, right ? A new defensive minded coach,

Lets look at the good and bad schools, for example, LSU not a good school to look into drafting a defensive players, if not for Daniels and Wilson, LSU would of lost alot more games in 2023.

Florida ST was a under valued school with some good young kids that are hard hitters.Even without QB J. Travis late in the season there defense pulled it together.

Michgan, Ohio ST. and some of the Texas schools have a good number of draftable players.

The NFL is hell bent on offense right now I really think that this is a opertoon time to think about biulding a superior defense here in Seattle.

100%, as long as we find a way to draft a top 5 qb somehow. Btw, *opportune*

CactusJack

Reaction score
OL.

This draft is loaded with lineman. My hope is that they prioritize the line. Especially with Grubb & Huff on board now. You need 3 new starters on the interior. This is the draft to take advantage of that. Invest upfront, and it will solve so many problems this team has (run game & protection).

If they upgrade the line, Geno will have a bounce back year & this offense will be fun to watch.

WarHawks

Reaction score
OL.

This draft is loaded with lineman. My hope is that they prioritize the line. Especially with Grubb & Huff on board now. You need 3 new starters on the interior. This is the draft to take advantage of that. Invest upfront, and it will solve so many problems this team has (run game & protection).

If they upgrade the line, Geno will have a bounce back year & this offense will be fun to watch.

Yes, and then we might even get into the playoffs, lose in the 1st round, then pick in the low 20's, and be unable to draft a qbotf again. Yay, more purgatory.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Yes, and then we might even get into the playoffs, lose in the 1st round, then pick in the low 20's, and be unable to draft a qbotf again. Yay, more purgatory.
Dude, it won't matter who you have at QB if you aren't sound upfront. The OL is & remains a huge issue for this team. Especially along the interior.

The combination of Damien Lewis, Haynes, Brown & Bradford all graded as below average to poor (PFF). Lewis doesn't fit Grubb's system, so he's likely gone. They need to target guys who are more athletic, can move & who will fit the scheme.

The absolute worst thing you could possibly do is having a 1st or 2nd year QB behind a makeshift offensive line. It doesn't work.

It's no coincidence that Geno struggled early on due to the injuries along the OL. He was actually very good in the 2nd half of the season as the line had more stability.

Drafting a QB should be on the table. But not if the guy you want is gone.

The people who have a hate boner for Geno, need to have some more perspective. The film would suggest that he was actually better than what a lot of fans here perceived based on his supporting cast & what he was faced with.

Geno is not the long-term starter. He remains a bridge QB. But he was far from the main issue this past year. The film backs that up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Rather looking at just one position, I thinck we need to view this what kind of a opportunitys are presented to us.

Now if your looking to rattle the geno bell, there are other post here that will welcome your opinions. So stay on the subject title.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think it’s a only a few key pieces on offense that is needed, offensive line, and maybe QOTF, but that’s not as pressing as defensive help right now for Seattle.

But, I would not be upset if Seattle addresses offensive line with round 1 and then the rest of mainly defense.

But Seattle can go either direction and I’ll be content!

I think this administration and FO has it down!

Couldn’t be more excited!

Go Seahawks!!!!!!

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
John & Mac need to find the path forward to draft players that will be beneficial to the right method of team biulding.This will be our foundation for the next 10 years.

Cheers

Chevy

Reaction score
The are not a lot of good 1st round defensive prospects this year. I've seen Jared Verse being talked about as as option for us at #16, but I think he will be the first DE/OLB drafted in the top-10 come draft day. At #16 I think good options for us would be Penn State (OLB/DE) Chop Robinson 6'3" 250 lbs and Florida State (DT/DE) Braden Fiske 6'5" 297 lbs. Both player are quick twitch explosive players that can put pressure on the QB. Both are a bit short armed, but make up with quickness and agility/bend.

Chop Robinson highlights

Braden Fiske highlights

cheese22

Reaction score
I see Jackson Powers-Johnson as a first round target for us. But, does that mean people are giving up on Oluwatimi? I remember hearing good things about him last training camp. Is he so bad that he's not an option at C?

12forlife

Reaction score
QBOTF QBOTF QBOTF!!!! We need a QB! This is the richest QB class in over a decade! Take advantage.

chris98251

Reaction score
Volume wise it has plenty, Quality, I have my concerns that most of them are just guys that will back up or be done in less then 5 years. No Lucks, No Mannings, No Burrow that really jumps out at you, Maye and Williams are the highlights but I am not shock and awed by them.

WarHawks

Reaction score
^That's what they said about Brady when he was picked in the 6th round too. The next Mahomes or Brady could be available to us at 16. You just never know for sure until years later. Here's a cut and paste about Brady before he was drafted. This almost sounds like they're describing McCarthy, except JJ is more highly thought of than this:

GOSSELIN DRAFT ANALYSIS: Tom Brady backed up Brian Griese as a sophomore on Michigan’s national championship team in 1997, then took over as the starter in 1998. Despite setting a school record for completions (200) that year, Brady split time at quarterback with Drew Henson for much of 1999. He won 20 of his 25 career starts and closed his career with a 34-of-46 passing performance for 369 yards and four touchdowns in a 35-34 Orange Bowl overtime victory over Alabama, twice rallying the Wolverines from 14-point deficits. There should have been an inkling then. But there wasn’t. Brady measured 6-4.3, 211 pounds at the NFL scouting combine with a 5.24-second 40-yard dash and a vertical jump of 24 ½ inches. There were 15 offensive lineman at that combine that both ran faster and jumped higher than Brady. Gosselin ranked Brady as the seventh quarterback on his draft board, a sixth-round value. The Patriots drafted Brady in the sixth round. But New England did not envision Brady as the GOAT when the Patriots made the pick. If the Pats did, they wouldn’t have waited to select him with their second choice of the sixth round and the 199th overall pick in the draft.

Here are comments on Brady from five talent evaluators leading up to the 2000 NFL draft:

Scout:
Awful. Not even on my board. Weak. He’ll make somebody a good husband or a good medical salesman.

Scout II: Has a quick, (former Michigan QB Brian) Griese-type release.

Quarterback coach: Backup. Could be a #2 in this league for a long time. Has the size but not enough arm.

chris98251

Reaction score
^That's what they said about Brady when he was picked in the 6th round too. The next Mahomes or Brady could be available to us at 16. You just never know for sure until years later. Here's a cut and paste about Brady before he was drafted. This almost sounds like they're describing McCarthy, except JJ is more highly thought of than this:

GOSSELIN DRAFT ANALYSIS: Tom Brady backed up Brian Griese as a sophomore on Michigan’s national championship team in 1997, then took over as the starter in 1998. Despite setting a school record for completions (200) that year, Brady split time at quarterback with Drew Henson for much of 1999. He won 20 of his 25 career starts and closed his career with a 34-of-46 passing performance for 369 yards and four touchdowns in a 35-34 Orange Bowl overtime victory over Alabama, twice rallying the Wolverines from 14-point deficits. There should have been an inkling then. But there wasn’t. Brady measured 6-4.3, 211 pounds at the NFL scouting combine with a 5.24-second 40-yard dash and a vertical jump of 24 ½ inches. There were 15 offensive lineman at that combine that both ran faster and jumped higher than Brady. Gosselin ranked Brady as the seventh quarterback on his draft board, a sixth-round value. The Patriots drafted Brady in the sixth round. But New England did not envision Brady as the GOAT when the Patriots made the pick. If the Pats did, they wouldn’t have waited to select him with their second choice of the sixth round and the 199th overall pick in the draft.

Here are comments on Brady from five talent evaluators leading up to the 2000 NFL draft:

Scout:
Awful. Not even on my board. Weak. He’ll make somebody a good husband or a good medical salesman.

Scout II: Has a quick, (former Michigan QB Brian) Griese-type release.

Quarterback coach: Backup. Could be a #2 in this league for a long time. Has the size but not enough arm.
Again we don't get to see the minds of these kids and hearts, Mental agility and quickness to make decisions elevate guys like Brady, Montana, Manning, etc over guys like Wilson, Newton, Jamarcus Russell, Hurts etc who have good physical traits but need them due to not having the mental processor, take away the physical as in age or injuries and they drop like a rock unless they change their style and become a student of the game like Randall Cunningham did, he reinvented himself after his injuries made him mortal.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Volume wise it has plenty, Quality, I have my concerns that most of them are just guys that will back up or be done in less then 5 years. No Lucks, No Mannings, No Burrow that really jumps out at you, Maye and Williams are the highlights but I am not shock and awed by them.
Yeah, outside of Penix, I don't want any of the names that are being mentioned.

Caleb, Maye & Daniels are going in order (1,2,3) at the top of the draft. So, Penix is really the only other guy that I would have interest in. I also think there's a better than 50% chance he falls because of the medical. Teams simply may decide that he's not worth the gamble.

I have no interest in McCarthy at all. Bo Nix has a higher floor than ceiling imo. Neither guy blows me away. People bring up Rattler. But I wouldn't touch him until day 3 of the draft.

Fans are so impatient & irrational at times. Yeah, it would be nice to draft a QB of the future. But I'm not taking a swing unless I'm absolutely sold on a guy.

The majority of QB's drafted don't pan out. The bust rate is very high. Just something to keep in mind.