Rodgers Signs Monster Extension

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":erjicszg said:
Mindsink":erjicszg said:
MD5eahawks":erjicszg said:
As for me, yeah I pay just like you. And that is what I can’t fathom. Why? Why do we pay these prices?

Because these players are USEFUL to adding value to your life. Why would you pay money for something that is useless to you?

Because they are a grave distraction for the every day point of living. If you had a dozen other different distractions, then Football would mean not too much. Frozen fishing is a great distraction. Reading a great book is a distraction. Learning a new trade is a distraction. For me, going to my shop and playing with my lathe and other wood tooling would be a great distraction...and will be again soon. At this time, Hunting is a great distraction for the friends of mine in the mountains. Steelhead fishing is on the way in a month and a half. But I got 2 games planned...Detroit where I have never been and Az where I have been a few times. Distractions, and a new place to visit to learn about our great nation. Historical sites to visit to learn about our heritage. Another distraction. Movies...another distraction.

So You see from my point of view, it is about distraction from boredom and other work related things. We pay for it so that we may enjoy it as a different thing from normal life.
All those "distractions" you listed actually provide useful values. You are using a skill and/or learning one. Watching football is just that. It's an entertainment. Medieval times would refer to such a thing as court jesters. The value may very well be comprehensible, but only on an entertainment level. And for me, entertainment is not useful to adding value to my life. Do I like watching football? Hell yeah. Is it worth the money they charge? NO!

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Providing entertainment is value. Within moderation, TV, video games, movies are beneficial for mental health from a stress relief perspective.

mrt144

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":33ggbwx7 said:
adeltaY":33ggbwx7 said:
MD5eahawks":33ggbwx7 said:
$80 million by March. That comes to approximately $400,000.00 a day. I just can't fathom how we the public have contributed to allowing an athlete to get paid that much.

Who's next? Brees? Half a mil a day?

Plenty of wealthy businessmen make more. I don't get why we judge athletes more harshly than them?
The world isn't salary capped. The NFL is; plus, those that pay the salaries of NFL players (the fans) are negatively impacted by excessive greed through rising ticket/food costs, less money to spend on a more balanced team, etc.

Not a very comparable analogy, IMO.

Ah yes, the players, earning less than 50% revenue and doing 80% of the work and having no control over taming the elasticity of demand of the addicted football fan is to blame.

Revenue comes in, is split up with the slim majority going to owners and players do their thing vying for their less than half of the pie among all the other players in the league. Don't like player salaries being so high? Then stop contributing revenue to the league itself. Want cheaper tickets and food? Convince everyone else that it isn't worth paying 3 or 4 hundo for a day out at the Clink to enjoy a Seahawks game. Or convince the owners they don't need the money and carry the deadweight loss of clearing the market since to be an NFL owner you generally have a boatload of capital under your belt.

The longer I sit here thinking about this the more irate I am. You're blaming labor costs from a structured revenue split you contribute to. Whether the NFL generated 10 Billion dollars or 10 dollars players would get ~47% split of that. If you just want players to play a game for your benefit and take a petite salary say so but understand you're just making the owner's part of the pie larger in the misguided belief that somehow you come into NFL ownership and operation by not pricing things according to elasticity of demand and that NFL owners are really charitable folks when it comes to running a business.

Tell me, do you carry water for billionaires because you hope a penny will fall out of their pocket?

mrt144

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3rvi7idg said:
adeltaY":3rvi7idg said:
MD5eahawks":3rvi7idg said:
$80 million by March. That comes to approximately $400,000.00 a day. I just can't fathom how we the public have contributed to allowing an athlete to get paid that much.

Who's next? Brees? Half a mil a day?

Plenty of wealthy businessmen make more. I don't get why we judge athletes more harshly than them?
Because they play a game. They really don’t bring anything useful to the lives of the people that contribute to their “salary”.

Oh, so that's why people spend 5 figures on season tickets. Because they actually don't value the product or their money. Tell me more about your 'alternative economics'. A transaction for a non necessity (food, shelter, clothing) is an implicit assignment of what both individuals and collective society value.

So your argument is that because you deem the utility of what players do to be less than it's universally held? Or that social utility is the rubric to measure compensation by? What in our market economy reconciles with that belief?

Again, why go after the players taking their negotiated share of the revenue and not other fans or owners for facilitating something of such low utility? Live and let live for everyone but labor?

mrt144

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3t7xaot4 said:
Mindsink":3t7xaot4 said:
MD5eahawks":3t7xaot4 said:
As for me, yeah I pay just like you. And that is what I can’t fathom. Why? Why do we pay these prices?

Because these players are USEFUL to adding value to your life. Why would you pay money for something that is useless to you?

Because they are a grave distraction for the every day point of living. If you had a dozen other different distractions, then Football would mean not too much. Frozen fishing is a great distraction. Reading a great book is a distraction. Learning a new trade is a distraction. For me, going to my shop and playing with my lathe and other wood tooling would be a great distraction...and will be again soon. At this time, Hunting is a great distraction for the friends of mine in the mountains. Steelhead fishing is on the way in a month and a half. But I got 2 games planned...Detroit where I have never been and Az where I have been a few times. Distractions, and a new place to visit to learn about our great nation. Historical sites to visit to learn about our heritage. Another distraction. Movies...another distraction.

So You see from my point of view, it is about distraction from boredom and other work related things. We pay for it so that we may enjoy it as a different thing from normal life.

You say distraction like it's a wholly bad thing. Getting together with friends is bad? Sharing experiences with people is bad? Having a rapport with a stranger wearing a Seahawks jersey is a bad thing? Or getting into a good natured ribbing with a Niners fan when you're holed up at a Hampton Inn while on business is a bad thing?

Regardless of whether distractions are good or bad, people, the fans, put value on it.

mrt144

Reaction score
adeltaY":1mxh6az4 said:
Providing entertainment is value. Within moderation, TV, video games, movies are beneficial for mental health from a stress relief perspective.

*Fetches Soapbox* Imagine if your average NFL fan tried to entertain themselves by playing an instrument. I'm sure Niners fans would still find a way to kill you with an oboe but there would be far less reason for them to. Unless there's some oboe/flute rivarly I'm not aware of.

I know it's corny but when you point a finger at someone there are three pointing right back at you.

mrt144

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":397dsx50 said:
XxXdragonXxX":397dsx50 said:
MD5eahawks":397dsx50 said:
adeltaY":397dsx50 said:
Because they play a game. They really don’t bring anything useful to the lives of the people that contribute to their “salary”.

If they dont contribute anything usefull, then why do millioms of people continue to buy tickets and jerseys to watch them play?

Nobody is forcing anyone to contribute to their salaries, yet people continue to do it. Maybe because people enjoy watching sports. I guess joy isnt considered usefull though?

And nobody ever complains about the billionaire owners who contribute far more to the rising ticket prices.
My comments do not compare nor complain about wealthy people in other areas of society. That would be a whole different, and political if you will, discussion.

My complaint is that, we as fans and the ‘public’ continue to pay the prices that drive salaries up to these levels. Face it, it is a GAME. They are merely there for entertainment purposes. Nothing more. Which brings it to NOTHING USEFUL.

As for the “why do millions...”, well listen carefully to those millions when you Spend your money around this sport. Not one single person will be skippin to the do-da about paying those prices. NOT ONE. They know we like the sport enough but it will ultimately be the undoing.

Because you're an addict. Call Schick Shadel and you'll be cured.

More seriously I would ask the question of why people are NOT football fans. What is the pathway people take where sports, and maybe especially football isn't interesting enough for them to pay for it? Then work back from there and find the contrast that with your life experiences that led to thinking spending half a G on gameday and getting drunk was better than tuning into "This American Life" while cozying up with a cup of coffee and your cat.

I think that the NFL spends so much on promoting the product using every trick in the book and building an entire social apparatus to keep people locked in is part of it. There is a space football occupies as a unifying force from Friday Nights as a teen to Saturday mornings/afternoons in college to Sundays in adulthood that has been partially organic and partially manufactured that there is a real sense of loss if you were to just up and decide that 'ya know, this year I'm going to spend my Saturdays and Sundays doing something else'.

Football doesn't ask much from you. It doesn't ask for introspection into why you're a fan, in fact it asks you to do the opposite. It doesn't have a bar for entry where you need some training and application of knowledge to enjoy it. Like if you told me half of Bills fans were illiterate I would trust but verify. It merely asks you to watch and give your time and money for the opportunity. You'd think that'd be easy to break but low effort entertainment is all some have in their lives.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
mrt144":3ka3lme6 said:
Seahawkfan80":3ka3lme6 said:
Mindsink":3ka3lme6 said:
MD5eahawks":3ka3lme6 said:

You say distraction like it's a wholly bad thing. Getting together with friends is bad? Sharing experiences with people is bad? Having a rapport with a stranger wearing a Seahawks jersey is a bad thing? Or getting into a good natured ribbing with a Niners fan when you're holed up at a Hampton Inn while on business is a bad thing?

Regardless of whether distractions are good or bad, people, the fans, put value on it.

As a matter of fact, it is not a totally bad thing. It is actually, DISTRACTIONS, are a necessary component to life. In this day and age of idiocy and foolhardy stupidity, distractions help in more mental ways then we know. The distractions applied correctly and with differing amounts help with the moral and justifiable reality of life. Grave distraction is probably a detrimental term. I had thought about that one a bit but left it. Distractions from daily actions help people that have more common sense than a rock understand things better in the context of life. It frees the mind of all inhibitions and lets the root of happiness take hold. Sometimes it is a difficult process....and sometimes it harms and injures a person in mental ways...but the growth from it is astounding.

You point out after this posting that it is a way to engage others in happy encounters within a commonality...and it does. Hence my profile pic. Done before the Jax game last Dec. I have great times with all team compatriots as I have some common threads with them thru the Military. I have friends that have given up the watching of the games because of the idiocy....and their kids play football.

I have found great friendships thru my life. Sports has a following. My old job has a following. My tractor has a following. Just wanted to put out there that a lot of other things may provide distractions that may work. Last year, I stopped watching for POLITICAL reasons. I found a lot of other things to do. I am just letting you and others know there are bigger fish in the sea...(hawks)....And there are more important things in their life if they want to accept it.

One final thing...I have met a lot of fans of other teams...and they are from what I can tell....are kinda human. We jibe each other off and on and get along well. except for Dallas....she likes dallas so I wont go there no more...and she is kinda hawt...
And I got an old friend that is a Vike fan...and an old friend that is a Ugh fan...we aint going there.

Have a HappyHawk day.