Rogers and Wilson highest ave passer rating in NFL history.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":caopbglg said:
bigskydoc":caopbglg said:
Of course your argument rests on the presumption that Rodgers is elite... :stirthepot:

It rests on 100 plus QBR a season. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

It rests on the argument that Rodgers is elite, and Wilson and Rodgers have similar career QBRs, ergo Wilson is elite. For the argument to be true, they both have to have similar career QBRs (they do), and Rodgers has to be elite.

Northwest Seahawk":caopbglg said:
Tom Brady has thrown for more yards on average than any other QB . Wilson and Rogers have the highest QBR's on average in the NFL that should clarify things for you. Anything else I can help you with.

Two of those QBs have a legitimate argument of being elite.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2t7eh533 said:
Northwest Seahawk":2t7eh533 said:
bigskydoc":2t7eh533 said:
Of course your argument rests on the presumption that Rodgers is elite... :stirthepot:

It rests on 100 plus QBR a season. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

It rests on the argument that Rodgers is elite, and Wilson and Rodgers have similar career QBRs, ergo Wilson is elite. For the argument to be true, they both have to have similar career QBRs (they do), and Rodgers has to be elite.

Northwest Seahawk":2t7eh533 said:
Tom Brady has thrown for more yards on average than any other QB . Wilson and Rogers have the highest QBR's on average in the NFL that should clarify things for you. Anything else I can help you with.

Two of those QBs have a legitimate argument of being elite.

If you don't think Wilson is elite just say it . Wilson and Rogers only QB's with 100 plus QBR average puts him in elite status unless you think yards thrown is more important I do not.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3rhv71i6 said:
We really need to hammer down the difference between PASSER rating and QBR, and stop using the terms interchangeably.

Were not were talking about QBR Rogers and Wilson have the highest average QBR in NFL history as of today. It's that simple.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3hx1qs94 said:
When I first read it the words were "per season". That actually has a precise meaning of "total divided by number of seasons", which is aka average. If the meaning was "in every season" then the words would be "highest QBR in each (or every) season". Hence, my assuming that 'per season' meant 'on average over the seasons'... Please resume all previous bickering. :mrgreen:

Yeah, the “per season” language was added after the fact. :2thumbs:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":q18ygvbx said:
If you don't think Wilson is elite just say it . Wilson and Rogers only QB's with 100 plus QBR average puts him in elite status unless you think yards thrown is more important I do not.

It seems your logic is exceeded only by your consistency.

Northwest Seahawk":q18ygvbx said:
...we'll see but right now i'm starting to seriously doubt Wilson is the QB that we need to get back to the playoffs . He is not a QB that can carry a team to the playoffs without a ton of help.

It wasn’t Wilson who I was arguing is not elite.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
QB rating itself has become a highly debated statistic. Personally, I still like it for the basic measure of passing efficiency that it is.

Wilson has been making up ground on Rodgers lately. Our next five opponents have not been very good against the pass, and four of the five are above average against the run. It stands to reason that Wilson could see more usage as a passer in the home stretch of this season. I could see him going on a dominant run like he did at the end of the 2015 season.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawknation2018":19kcaclj said:
QB rating itself has become a highly debated statistic. Personally, I still like it for the basic measure of passing efficiency that it is.

Wilson has been making up ground on Rodgers lately. Our next six opponents have not been very good against the pass, and five of the six are above average against the run. It stands to reason that Wilson could see more usage as a passer in the home stretch of this season. I could see him going on a dominant run like he did at the end of the 2015 season.

It's largely debated because analytics guys want to push their advanced stats on the public to make a name for themselves.
QB rating is still very highly correlated with winning. One of the most correlated with winning stats there is for a QB. Far more useful than yards per game which some folks still trot out as a reason Wilson isn't elite.

Air yards per attempt, TD's and QB rating are some of the most important stats for a QB that correlate with winning. Of course average wins per season also correlates nicely with winning and I believe Wilson is pretty high in that stat as well.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":242jk60e said:
Northwest Seahawk":242jk60e said:

It seems your logic is exceeded only by your consistency.

Northwest Seahawk":242jk60e said:
...we'll see but right now i'm starting to seriously doubt Wilson is the QB that we need to get back to the playoffs . He is not a QB that can carry a team to the playoffs without a ton of help.

It wasn’t Wilson who I was arguing is not elite.

I have no idea what your saying to be honest on the one hand your saying Rogers isn't elite but Wilson is or maybe you would like to clarify do you think Wilson's QBR rating puts him in eilite status yes or no. Secondly yes I've been critical of Wilson at time's I've also said he's a great QB many times every one on this forum has. Third I don't just throw our elite status like some fanboy there needs to be some real evidence to back it up. Second highest QBR in NFL history is hard to argue with. The rest of his stats are great to so it is what it is.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3m08qe77 said:
Maelstrom787":3m08qe77 said:
We really need to hammer down the difference between PASSER rating and QBR, and stop using the terms interchangeably.

Were not were talking about QBR Rogers and Wilson have the highest average QBR in NFL history as of today. It's that simple.

Again you are talking about passer rating. QBR is a completely different stat that takes into account things like rushing yards, YAC, sacks, penalties and when certain plays happen.

QBR Explained in detail here.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
JGreen79":1q5ouwph said:
Northwest Seahawk":1q5ouwph said:
Maelstrom787":1q5ouwph said:

Again you are talking about passer rating. QBR is a completely different stat that takes into account things like rushing yards, YAC, sacks, penalties and when certain plays happen.

QBR Explained in detail here.

ESPN invented and uses TQBR, the NFL uses Passer Rating . I prefer Passer rating TQBR counts stats the QB has no control over penalty's for one. Your right to be exact i'm talking about Passer Rating. Though it seems there used interchangeably thus the confusion. ESPN themselves used QBR when they quoted the stat this morning .

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Just for some context the top four passer rating all time are.

Rogers
Wilson
Brees
Brady

Now the biggest reason Wilson isn't as high in TQBR is penalty's . It's a fact Seattle has ALOT more penalty's over this stretch than teams like GB and the Patriots or the Saints or insert just about any other team in the NFL with an elite QB.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1ojwnkf1 said:
QBR is garbage, only Trent Dilfer likes it.

It's a convoluted mess doesn't make sense and is still not completely explained as to what exact percentage of each metrics is used. ESPN themselves can't explain it's been made so complex a computer has to calculate it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1x37wu1x said:
I have no idea what your saying to be honest on the one hand your saying Rogers isn't elite but Wilson is or maybe you would like to clarify do you think Wilson's QBR rating puts him in eilite status yes or no. Secondly yes I've been critical of Wilson at time's I've also said he's a great QB many times every one on this forum has. Third I don't just throw our elite status like some fanboy there needs to be some real evidence to back it up. Second highest QBR in NFL history is hard to argue with. The rest of his stats are great to so it is what it is.

I'm saying that Rodgers isn't elite, therefore he is invalid as a metric of what is an elite QB. Wilson is on an elite career path, but I'm hesitant to crown him as elite just yet. The fact that they both have high QBRs is cool. Elite QBs probably should have a high QBR, but a high QBR does not necessarily mean that that particular QB is elite. Example number one - Aaron Rodgers.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3g1mkdfz said:
Northwest Seahawk":3g1mkdfz said:

I'm saying that Rodgers isn't elite, therefore he is invalid as a metric of what is an elite QB. Wilson is on an elite career path, but I'm hesitant to crown him as elite just yet. The fact that they both have high QBRs is cool. Elite QBs probably should have a high QBR, but a high QBR does not necessarily mean that that particular QB is elite. Example number one - Aaron Rodgers.

So what does make elite for you?

HawkerD

Reaction score
GeekHawk":35o02yiu said:
hawknation2018":35o02yiu said:
Rodgers and Wilson average a QB rating over 100 for their careers. They are #1 and #2 in career QB rating.

But they have each had seasons in which they have averaged less than a 100 QB rating. Rodgers did so in 2008, 2015, and last season, for example.

Wait a minute - so you're telling me that when an average is figured, that like half the input numbers will be below that average, and the rest above??? No shit? Really?

Math. It's not just for engineers... :roll: Well, maybe it is.

Just a small quibble. When half the input numbers are respectively above and below the middle number it is known as the median. The average or mean is a slightly different animal. and tells a slightly different story.

And yes Wilson is terrific and certainly franchise worthy. Objectively, based on QBR is is in the very top percentile. Elite is subjective so while some will use a particular stat to make an argument for, other will use other measures to counter. Its fun to argue about it but what really matters is that he is a hawk and we appreciate him in the moment because it is likely the next man up will not be near as good.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Before the monkeys come to fling poo at me: THIS IS NOT A DISS ON WILSON.

First, Passer Rating and QBR are two different statistics. Stop referring to Passer rating or "qb rating" as QBR, because it's not the same thing.

Second, passer rating is a rubbish stat that rewards a certain style of QB more than others. A typical WCO dink-and-dunk passer is penalized by not having his average yards per pass be 12.5 or over. on the other hand, our offense is designed to suck in the defense with the run and then throw long passes over the top - something Wilson excels at because he can keep the play alive long enough for deep routes to develop, and throws a good long ball for the most part.

Because Wilson throws long and not as often as others, his TD per pass is very good. Because he waits on guys to get open, his TD/INT ratio is very good.

All of this lends itself very well to a very nice passer rating.

But that doesn't make passer rating a good stat. It's very limited and ignores some pretty major things, like sacks. This is not to cast any shade on Wilson - there are many other metrics by which Wilson excels as well as passer rating.

I guess passer rating is kind of like YPC for judging whether a running back is elite. Yes, it's a stat and measures a key part of his game, but takes no consideration of stuffs vs successful runs, how good a receiver out of the backfield he is, or a slew of other things that make some players special. It's like giving a guy who goes 0, 0, 0, 12 credit for his 4 YPC credit over a guy who goes 4, 4,3, 4 who averages 3.75 YPC but gets you first downs all the time and helps you to control the clock and the game.