Rookie report cards

El Caliente

Reaction score
Strictly from a Saints fans perspective, I think our grade is low due to a flaw in the system.

Example, they have Duron Carter of the Colts listed as an UDFA, thought he came from the CFL and was in camp with the Vikings last year. The Saints also have a CFL free agent Delvin Breaux who wasn't on an NFL roster, and this is his first go around in the NFL. So is this report card going to include CFL players or not? And if it does, why are they omitting the 3rd best cb on our roster?

As for the rest of the class, Murphey has been one of the top return men in the preseason, Swann has been doing great, and the two linebackers have been disruptive forces. The fact that their production is lower than the other linebackers on our roster has more to do with them being pulled when the starters are pulled.

I don't know what the writer was expecting from Andrus Peate, but he must have been the only one expecting him to be a starter in his first year.The Saints have two legit tackles, so the only spot for Peate to play would be at guard, and he isn't a guard. Peate was drafted to be groomed to replace Strief, and while he has been doing that he has played every position on the line minus center.

I don't think we have an A due to the injuries to Tull and Williams, but I certainly believe we are no worse than a B.

massari

Reaction score
Still wished the Hawks picked DeAndre Smelter in the 4th despite his injury and the need on OL.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
El Caliente":2qd4uqso said:
Strictly from a Saints fans perspective, I think our grade is low due to a flaw in the system.

Example, they have Duron Carter of the Colts listed as an UDFA, thought he came from the CFL and was in camp with the Vikings last year. The Saints also have a CFL free agent Delvin Breaux who wasn't on an NFL roster, and this is his first go around in the NFL. So is this report card going to include CFL players or not? And if it does, why are they omitting the 3rd best cb on our roster?

As for the rest of the class, Murphey has been one of the top return men in the preseason, Swann has been doing great, and the two linebackers have been disruptive forces. The fact that their production is lower than the other linebackers on our roster has more to do with them being pulled when the starters are pulled.

I don't know what the writer was expecting from Andrus Peate, but he must have been the only one expecting him to be a starter in his first year.The Saints have two legit tackles, so the only spot for Peate to play would be at guard, and he isn't a guard. Peate was drafted to be groomed to replace Strief, and while he has been doing that he has played every position on the line minus center.

I don't think we have an A due to the injuries to Tull and Williams, but I certainly believe we are no worse than a B.

Saints reporter Jeff Duncan said in his 15 years covering the NFL, he's never seen someone struggle as much as Peat. Awful early returns for a #13 overall pick.

Not sure how ANYONE can give Loomis (Marty Hurney 2.0) the benefit of the doubt at this point. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes as he appears to have possibly done with Cooks, but even then, he gave up a 3rd rounder in even his best recent move?

El Caliente

Reaction score
ctrcat":azqcvh3z said:
El Caliente":azqcvh3z said:

I don't know what the writer was expecting from Andrus Peat, but he must have been the only one expecting him to be a starter in his first year.The Saints have two legit tackles, so the only spot for Peate to play would be at guard, and he isn't a guard. Peate was drafted to be groomed to replace Strief, and while he has been doing that he has played every position on the line minus center.

Saints reporter Jeff Duncan said in his 15 years covering the NFL, he's never seen someone struggle as much as Peat. Awful early returns for a #13 overall pick.

Not sure how ANYONE can give Loomis (Marty Hurney 2.0) the benefit of the doubt at this point. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes as he appears to have possibly done with Cooks, but even then, he gave up a 3rd rounder in even his best recent move?

Loomis' value working the salary cap. Nevermind the fact that we are in cap hell after the Graham and Gillete moves, he always finds a way to get the players the coaches want (Byrd last year, Lewis the year before, etc.). The draft falls on the coaches, and over the last 10 years we have been towards the top in terms of players sticking around.

The Peat pick is a head scratcher for sure. I can understand Duncan saying that he is struggling, but then again, he is being rotated to every position, and he isn't being counted on to start, but to be a backup. We could have used an impact player at that point, but the rest of the draft (Kikaha, Anthony, Swann, Murphey) are paying solid dividends already.

What do you make of your Panthers grade?

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ I think the Panthers grade is quite appropriate/fair, and pretty much spot on IMO! The only "questionable" pick on the surface was Mayo with the 5th round comp pick, but even he doesn't look out of place on the field. Shaq running step-for-step with Jordan Cameron 40 yards downfield breaking up a perfect pass and tackling Lamar Miller in the open field are about all anyone could expect or hope for a rookie in their first game.

El Caliente

Reaction score
ctrcat":14ndfi1a said:
^ I think the Panthers grade is quite appropriate/fair, and pretty much spot on IMO! The only "questionable" pick on the surface was Mayo with the 5th round comp pick, but even he doesn't look out of place on the field. Shaq running step-for-step with Jordan Cameron 40 yards downfield breaking up a perfect pass and tackling Lamar Miller in the open field are about all anyone could expect or hope for a rookie in their first game.

Yeah, I really wanted Shaq down here, but oh well. That guy will be a force for the next decade...unless he suffers a Thomas Davis Jon Beason type career.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ Thanks. Many on this board have watched Shaq more than I have, but all indications=beast. A few plays some said he got pushed back in the run game. Maybe so, but I didn't see it. Overall the reports are extremely positive. Obiviously he's also far from a finished product and 3 of 4 starting DL weren't playing again.

Latest posts