Roster cut announcements have begun

Basis4day

Reaction score
StoneCold":ruycwego said:
Is there a final list somewhere? I realize it may change with trades, but I understood we had to be at 53 by 1pm today.

No. Not yet. The team must inform the league of the cuts by 1pm, not release it to the public.

Recent history has the hawks taking their time.

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/heyguysitsCraig/status/904122778730643457[/tweet]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1o27pgka said:
If WR4 were not important, we wouldn't have them.

Interestingly enough, we even occasionally run 4 WR formations.

We will see, but it feels like we better hope we can win a lot of games 6-7 because of our DL, since our OC isn't exactly a mensa winner and guys like Darboh or Lawler might be on this team helping us to punt a little bit more often.

Edit: As for how Collins screwed us? Because we didn't keep a returner and he was supposedly on the roster to back up Rawls if Rawls was still injured (which he was). But not only could Collins not produce as a returner, he did nothing when we didn't have Rawls available - which killed drives and exhausted our defense.

Should we go back and look again at all the '2 Yards & a Cloud of What?' production that Collins brought us where an injured Wilson was facing consistently long yards to go? What about the long fields we had to drive for scores because our returners were essentially worthless, to the point we started using guys that should never be returning kicks?

Collins took a roster spot that a producing player would have had and he sucked up downs that a productive player should have gotten. Go back and watch the games to see how often using him shut down our offense and exhausted our defense.

Still not going to fall short of the Super Bowl because of a decision at one backup roster spot.

The team does their best at every position, but there are times when outrage isn't worth it. The Richardson move had immeasurably more influence on the team's chances than this one.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'm not freaking out about Kasen Williams like I didn't freak out about Pope. They could be making a huge mistake here. Or none at all.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Or it might be because this is a guy that has shown he can catch the ball when covered or in traffic, you know, like in the EZ?

Since we seem to have a problem scoring TDs in the EZ it seems like this would be a valuable asset. But he wasn't a 'super valuable 3rd round pick' so whatever.

The reason I care is that he gives us the best chance to catch TDs of the available WRs and we have a really average RZ TD%. Considering scoring TDs helps teams win it felt like a reasonable thing to want someone that can help us score more TDs on the team.

"I'm not freaking out about Kasen Williams like I didn't freak out about Pope. They could be making a huge mistake here. Or none at all."

Except Pope could have helped us return kicks and backup Rawls when he was injured (since Procise is made of balsa wood and couldn't) so keeping Collins cost us at least 2 games. One reason it was upsetting to see Pope cut.

Now instead of an injured Rawls, we are dealing with a potentially injured Lockett- but Im sure keeping a worthless Darboh won't bite us in the tail like keeping Collins did, right?

seabowl

Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

Pope, Mathews, Bowie, C Mike, Simon, and on and on

When we let guys go they usually don't pan out on their new teams. Kasen played well in preseason but the coaches obviously see something in Darboh that made them let Kasen go.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Of all the Hawks cuts today, honest Q:

Who had the most snaps last year, was it run-stuffer Rubin? Who was second?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
AustrianHawk":10nwiv3e said:
Woah

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RSherman_25/status/904108419916881920[/tweet]

Wow, this is very telling.........Sherm not happy.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Not a fan of keeping Darboh over Williams obviously. We have very little reliable receiving options outside Baldwin and Graham. If (or more likely, when) Richardson and/or Lockett get injured, we could be in a lot of trouble. Plus Darboh has shown so little that he'd probably make the PS. This feels like Collins all over again.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Same thing every year during cut down. There is a lot more to competing than what a fan sees on the field during preseason. If Williams does nothing this regular season I sure bet no one acting all drama queen right now is going to come back and admit they overreacted, just like they didn't with The savior Pope.

Seymour

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":13j19fj2 said:
With the Kasen cut, Always Compete is a flat myth now. The saying is about as meaningful as I'm in.

At least they used common sense keeping Davis. Boykin is garbage-I could care less if he's claimed.

Always compete doesn't apply to coaching staff or high draft picks....that much is obvious.

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/904124947919863808[/tweet]

Remember last years outrage?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
harryjohnson":2xmaz4wm said:
Seymour":2xmaz4wm said:
harryjohnson":2xmaz4wm said:
AustrianHawk":2xmaz4wm said:
Woah

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RSherman_25/status/904108419916881920[/tweet]

Feel that way fine. Just stfu about it. Smh

Exactly.

Sounds like #25 is "all in" with his coaching staff once again. :roll:

Red meat for the east coast press.

Oh the horror! The mighty 'East Coast Press' is gonna say bad things about our team! :shock:

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
What the hell has Darboh showed over Kasen? Oh but he was another 3rd round reach so let's definitely keep him over someone who's shown can contribute in the RZ and on ST. What kind of ST accomplishments has Darboh also shown?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Another way to think about this: the fact that we're dropping NFL-ready players right and left might also mean that our scouting processes remain highly effective and that there simply isn't room for them all.

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/904126496905633792[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MichaelScullin1/status/904126918127116288[/tweet]

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Milehighhawk":1tclnkj4 said:
Same thing every year during cut down. There is a lot more to competing than what a fan sees on the field during preseason. If Williams does nothing this regular season I sure bet no one acting all drama queen right now is going to come back and admit they overreacted, just like they didn't with The savior Pope.

Except, it kinda isn't the same thing if he ends up playing for say..the Rams or Browns. In fact it's totally different.

Basis4day

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":tr9g7ltr said:
What the hell has Darboh showed over Kasen? Oh but he was another 3rd round reach so let's definitely keep him over someone who's shown can contribute in the RZ and on ST. What kind of ST accomplishments has Darboh also shown?

How many routes can Kasen run?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":23gvp9xv said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/904126496905633792[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MichaelScullin1/status/904126918127116288[/tweet]
Dammit Jim!