Roster cut announcements have begun

Hyak

Reaction score
Running for the razors over the 5th WR and 5th CB seems to be overkill. Do I think Williams outplayed Darboh in preseason? In the games for sure but I have no idea about the 30 practices. Even so, only 2 of Williams catches came against NFL caliber defenses (week 2 vs Vikings). Everything else was with Boykin or Davis against 2nd or 3rd teamers. McEvoy was the other competition and he did nothing to play himself off the roster.

Desir was impressive in coverage aside from his ball skills but again it was in 2nd halves of games against lesser competition. It came down to ST contributions and Thorpe is a key there in coverage units.

drdiags

Reaction score
Cutting Williams may be a gamble to try picking him up and cutting Darboh to try and protect the younger asset to get him on the PS. Wouldn't be the first time folks thought the roster was set for the final 53, only to see the team play the roster games up to and after the first game of the season. Lot of picks traded the past two days, crazy times.

mikeak

Reaction score
Basis4day":25d6x2gz said:
mikeak":25d6x2gz said:
Everybody brings up Pope and ignores Spencer Ware

There are more examples but every year people that gets cut gets picked up and end up surprising. Kasen and Desir are definite borderline players that may very well be really good somewhere. The question is always who would you have cut instead and how would they have worked out?

A drafted guy gets a little bit of a benefit of the doubt because the FO scouted him and has seen way more than a couple pre-season games

I am surprised but really hope they made the right choice.

Also remember it is possible both Darbouh and Kasen ends up with a good season...

Ware was cut for off the field reasons. He was on the team for a year.

His DUI was AFTER he was cut

Seymour

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3qrojmzh said:
Seymour":3qrojmzh said:
Coug_Hawk08":3qrojmzh said:
TwistedHusky":3qrojmzh said:
Good luck.

I'm betting Darboh produces less than Collins did.

Why do you have such blind hate on Darboh? It's actually kind of weird.

Not blind hate IMO. Compare username to receiver let go = answer.

I liked the Darboh pick but was quite disappointed in what he showed (or didn't show). I thought Williams stole the show and flat out won the spot myself. An injury could explain this, but that seems unclear at this point.

I honestly thought Kasen would make the team over Darboh, too. I'm not even defending Darbohs play (that we have seen), but I can understand and appreciate why he is still on the roster. All in all, no reason to really be upset either way in my eyes.

Certainly no reason to trash our 3rd round pick relentlessly.

Ya, I'm not going to trash the guy either, he needs to have his chance to prove his value. 4 games with a 90 man roster is pretty tough place to show that full potential.

hawk45

Reaction score
drdiags":39kya02t said:
Cutting Williams may be a gamble to try picking him up and cutting Darboh to try and protect the younger asset to get him on the PS. Wouldn't be the first time folks thought the roster was set for the final 53, only to see the team play the roster games up to and after the first game of the season. Lot of picks traded the past two days, crazy times.

Agreed. The fact they cut Kasen means no one was willing to offer a 7th rounder in trade. This looks lke an attempt to try and have both Darboh and Kasen to me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We wasted a 3rd round pick on a WR that isn't an OL.

We compound this by keeping worthless WR and cutting either a decent backup CB or a productive WR.

The fact the guy even got a draft pick wasted on him when we needed OL help annoys me. The fact that we let guys like Palacio, Desir and Williams go and kept this worthless WR annoys me more.

The fact that Williams was a WR for Huskies doesn't matter, it was what he did with the football as a Seahawk that mattered. What did the worthless WR that should have been an OL do with the football?

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1imbri5g said:

We compound this by keeping worthless WR and cutting either a decent backup CB or a productive WR.

The fact the guy even got a draft pick wasted on him when we needed OL help annoys me. The fact that we let guys like Palacio, Desir and Williams go and kept this worthless WR annoys me more.

The fact that Williams was a WR for Huskies doesn't matter, it was what he did with the football as a Seahawk that mattered. What did the worthless WR that should have been an OL do with the football?

He took it and is heading home. :twisted:

AusSeahawk

Reaction score
Darboh was never getting cut, Kasen was competing against McEvoy for the final spot.

Im glad they gave it to McEvoy hes got some serious talent.

Josea16

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":219sgyal said:

Dude, Kasen was waived injured. He'll reach the practice squad easily when he gets healthy.

jpetty38

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2qfyfv6b said:

Dude we get it the UW huskie should still be on the team and Darboh is a worthless pile of trash in your eyes, kid could score 20 TD this year and you would say Kasen could have gotten 21.

mrt144

Reaction score
Josea16":1sppd4km said:
TwistedHusky":1sppd4km said:

Dude, Kasen was waived injured. He'll reach the practice squad easily when he gets healthy.

https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/9 ... 4973390848

Seymour

Reaction score
Josea16":22xswftm said:
TwistedHusky":22xswftm said:

That has been corrected. He actually wasn't injured. Good chance someone snags this guy IMO.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Basis4day":3iuavv47 said:
I dont understand the logic of being upset that Kasen was cut after 3 years of nothing and being upset that they kept Darboh.

Why allow Kasen the 3 years of development and not Darboh?

Well, Hawks allowed 3 years of development and the results were displayed during this training camp. Where else is he going to display what he has to offer, that's it.

Darboh was kept because he's a 3rd round pick and he'll be given all the opps necessary to prove himself. Besides, in the last game, I think the Hawks liked what they saw in him.. Fast, kind of like a Edelman type.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3o2xvtoz said:
LolaRox":3o2xvtoz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/904144294973390848[/tweet]

Pete's whole compete mantra takes a hit when a played like kasen, who competed as best he could and produced gets cut.

What the F is preaseason games for if kasen gets cut..I mean like wtf. I thought he was a lock to make the team how the hell did he get cut..

Dude had 7 20+ yard catches and what does Darboh do..3 catches for 22 yards..just :lol: Carson had better receiving stats than Darboh, shit, Alex Collins had better receiving stats than Darboh

He led our team in receptions and yards in the preseason and gets cut...Someone help me understand because he looked good

I love watching preseason football but im questioning why I even bother since it apparently means jack shit for the roster.

Hopefully Darboh excels in the future but idk, we will see.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
What a blunder by the Seahawks on the waived/injured bit. Agents have to be pissed.

Seymour

Reaction score
AusSeahawk":3ovmadp2 said:
Darboh was never getting cut, Kasen was competing against McEvoy for the final spot.

Im glad they gave it to McEvoy hes got some serious talent.

I actually agree with this (except for cutting Williams part). Almost always compete in this case.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":3ujuxp9r said:
People are picking on Darboh, when it could be McEvoy or perhaps another player that should not have made it...
I think in a way this is right: the competition was really with McEvoy (or maybe players at another position if they had kept an extra WR), not Darboh. The problem is that unlike most other major sport leagues, the NFL doesn't have the ability to send a recently drafted player to the minors (or closest thing in NFL: the practice squad) without first being waived. That means teams have little choice but to burn a roster spot on players with a high-ceiling but who aren't quite NFL-ready (one substandard pre-season doesn't invalidate years of play in college good enough to warrant a high-round pick). So I think it's best to accept we're always going to lose a couple roster spots this way.

Definitely works against the "always compete" idea though. Although I suspect, like Pope last year, Williams is actually a mediocre depth player who got hot at the right time, the cut still sucks, I wish they had found a way to keep him (if nothing else, would send a positive message to the team).

Pleasantly surprised with picking Davis. While (like most teams) we're probably not a SB contender either way if Wilson goes down, Davis at least looks like he won't lose us games. Not much potential left, but should be a steady-hand.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Déjà vu ..... our discourse is governed by the limitations of views thru a soda straw.

Josea16

Reaction score
mrt144":22i9050f said:
Josea16":22i9050f said:
TwistedHusky":22i9050f said:

https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/9 ... 4973390848
So what? Nobody but the Seahawks even cares about him. Every team in the has their version of Kasen Williams they are trying to sneak on to their practice squad. This a 5/6 wide receiver we're talking about anyway.

Latest posts