Roster is in

LolaRox

Reaction score
joeseahawks":4i1xlr3d said:
This is been a very brutal offseason for our past 2-3 years drafts ... have really been busts?
How many from the last 2-3 years are we keeping on our rosters? Are we still living off the Russell Wilson/Sherman/Kam draft?
I don't know about you all, butI feel that this is our last hurrah with Pete. He is throwing everything into this year ... I won't be surprised to see him walk away after this year ... together with lots of other vets.
It is all or nothing people. It is SB or bust !!!

I don't know if this is the last hurrah, but the last few drafts have not produced like the first few. I understand that it is harder to start on this team, as a rookie, because of the probowl/all pro talent, but there should be guys behind them ready to play and the depth just hasn't been there. For example - the 2 guys that were the top safety replacements last year (McCray and Terrell) couldn't even make anyone else's roster this year. A few years ago teams were waiting to pick up guys the Hawks let go, but that isn't as true anymore.

I do give J&P credit for recognizing that the quality depth just wasn't there and addressing this year, even if they had to use FA to do so. However, they do need to hit on some of their draft picks.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":g61z9jyi said:
This is been a very brutal offseason for our past 2-3 years drafts ... have really been busts?
How many from the last 2-3 years are we keeping on our rosters? Are we still living off the Russell Wilson/Sherman/Kam draft?
I don't know about you all, butI feel that this is our last hurrah with Pete. He is throwing everything into this year ... I won't be surprised to see him walk away after this year ... together with lots of other vets.
This is what I like about this forum. We take something like the Wilson draft, or the Sherman draft, then combine them to form the Wilson/Sherman/Chancellor draft (why did you leave Wager out?) - an event that has never occurred and would likely never occur - and use that as the baseline for comparing drafts. Anything that doesn't live up to that is sub-par.

Here's a thing about championship teams: They have championship rosters. It's extremely difficult to break into the roster of a championship team because they already have quality starters and depth at most positions.

Here's another thing: They effectively draft a round behind everyone else, because they draft at the end of every round.

Because of those two things, the strategy changes from "trade up and hit a home run in Round 1" to "spread the net wide and find talent that may have been overlooked".

The fact that we can afford to gamble on some long shots is a credit to the fact that we already have the bases covered. Our season does not depend on the success of any draft pick.

So complain all you want about out draft picks, but I'd much rather have "poor" drafts and be in the playoffs every year than have "good" drafts and suck.

Ironically the "worst" draft in the Carroll era was 2013...

Seafan

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":x0no7uxb said:
joeseahawks":x0no7uxb said:
This is what I like about this forum. We take something like the Wilson draft, or the Sherman draft, then combine them to form the Wilson/Sherman/Chancellor draft (why did you leave Wager out?) - an event that has never occurred and would likely never occur - and use that as the baseline for comparing drafts. Anything that doesn't live up to that is sub-par.

Here's a thing about championship teams: They have championship rosters. It's extremely difficult to break into the roster of a championship team because they already have quality starters and depth at most positions.

Here's another thing: They effectively draft a round behind everyone else, because they draft at the end of every round.

Because of those two things, the strategy changes from "trade up and hit a home run in Round 1" to "spread the net wide and find talent that may have been overlooked".

The fact that we can afford to gamble on some long shots is a credit to the fact that we already have the bases covered. Our season does not depend on the success of any draft pick.

So complain all you want about out draft picks, but I'd much rather have "poor" drafts and be in the playoffs every year than have "good" drafts and suck.

I'd have no problem with a roster made up of 53 UDFAs as long as the team wins. This rent-a-player trend this season is ok too if it helps the team win.

mrt144

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3oynsd0j said:
joeseahawks":3oynsd0j said:

I wish Ifedi was better...

LolaRox

Reaction score
good grief Seahawks, get yourselves together.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/904146006689726467[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1e3h8hi1 said:
falcongoggles":1e3h8hi1 said:
Jazzhawk":1e3h8hi1 said:
Waived/Injured:
CB Pierre Desir
WR Kasen Williams

They were injured???

If put on IR, then all the outrage for both of them could be for not.
If they clear waivers they can be signed to the PS.

I'm pretty sure that players designated as waived injured revert to injured reserve if not claimed.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm unsure about waiving Kasen Williams. and Pierre Desir. I expect a space eater DT to be signed/traded for, and a RB will be waived to make room.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Since there's lots of discussion on the cuts in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138059&start=200, here I'll just say: I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this season.

Wilson looks to be in the best physical and mental shape of his career. I don't recall him ever looking so good in pre-season.

The o-line looks like it could potentially be at least average if they can stay healthy (I'll actually be ecstatic with average: we can't be great everywhere and with our defense and Wilson an average line should be fine).

The RB group certainly looks like an upgrade from a year ago with a lot of different skill sets (if Rawls and Procise can stay healthy at least).

The receiving / TE core looks solid (similar to last year) but depth is a concern, especially with P. Richardson being so injury prone and Lockett coming off a brutal injury without any pre-season snaps.

The additional of S. Richardson should keep our defensive front and linebackers among the best in the league again.

Defensive backs are still a strength, although CB (other than Sherman) and overall depth has a lot of question marks that leave me nervous.

Special teams are looking good so far. While I'm not sure I'll ever be as comfortable with Walsh after his case of the yips last year as I was with Haushka, he is potentially just as good.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I doubt either of them will clear waivers. Hope we can keep both though.

The only real surprise to me is Williams. Other than that, best team going forward.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":39bl22bj said:
Hawkscanner.... :irishdrinkers:

Gotta eat dinner sometime. It's been a LONNNNNNNNNNG Day. Dats' for shore. Cheers. :irishdrinkers:

I have to say that like just about everybody else, I'm fairly surprised by the Kasen Williams and Pierre Desir cuts. I've already said my peace about those (vented) -- A LOT. I wouldn't have let those guys go ... but again, I'm not making the decisions.

I'm also mildly surprised by them retaining Tedric Thompson, as I don't think he showed a whole lot in Preseason. BUT to me, the decision to keep him is based more on his production in college (which was admittedly stellar) ... AND the fact that if (God forbid) Earl were to go down again, we've got nobody else back there who can competently hold down the position if Thompson were to be cut. His instincts as a FS alone meant that he was making this roster, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Just thinking out loud.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2uez84m0 said:
joeseahawks":2uez84m0 said:
Really?? Come on, you have a very short memory. The cupboard was bare when they took over and they were still totally re-working the roster back then. Now it's 'find what we can to fill in, and cover holes'. Last Hurrah...Pshhhhh.
Yeah...a ridiculous statement by him.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
How did Williams not win a job???? Here I thought he was a lock after the Kearse deal. Also upset to see Desir and Reece go over some guys ii never heard of once this pre season. If p Rich and lockett go down do we bring in T.O??

Josea16

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":ryp0ifua said:
Since there's lots of discussion on the cuts in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138059&start=200, here I'll just say: I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this season.

Wilson looks to be in the best physical and mental shape of his career. I don't recall him ever looking so good in pre-season.

The o-line looks like it could potentially be at least average if they can stay healthy (I'll actually be ecstatic with average: we can't be great everywhere and with our defense and Wilson an average line should be fine).

The RB group certainly looks like an upgrade from a year ago with a lot of different skill sets (if Rawls and Procise can stay healthy at least).

The receiving / TE core looks solid (similar to last year) but depth is a concern, especially with P. Richardson being so injury prone and Lockett coming off a brutal injury without any pre-season snaps.

The additional of S. Richardson should keep our defensive front and linebackers among the best in the league again.

Defensive backs are still a strength, although CB (other than Sherman) and overall depth has a lot of question marks that leave me nervous.

Special teams are looking good so far. While I'm not sure I'll ever be as comfortable with Walsh after his case of the yips last year as I was with Haushka, he is potentially just as good.
I get you about Walsh but he's potentially MUCH better and has shown to be so at the NFL level. He has a much bigger leg then Houshka and is younger.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I'm not sure why but all this time I thought your name was "josé"Seahawks.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Josea16":1o2h6rth said:
I get you about Walsh but he's potentially MUCH better and has shown to be so at the NFL level. He has a much bigger leg then Houshka and is younger.

I had thought the same thing, although surprisingly Hauschka's career long is actually longer than Walsh's (58 vs 56), and since Walsh entered the league the long each season is basically a wash (Haush slightly better 2 years, Walsh slightly better 2 years, tie one year).

I could have sworn Walsh had hit a few 60+ yarders but I must be remembering practice kicks or something.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Looks like a team with some decent players but some real holes that I think are going to make us look back on cut day with some regret.

Then again, they have been really average with their drafts for several years so far, a Lockett or Clark fall in occasionally but for the most part a lot of opportunities to add depth squandered. And it is reared its head in going from a team that was almost a lock for the SB to a team that scrambling to make a wildcard game and getting shelled in the very next game repeatedly.

I am still worried for this offense, especially in the RZ but hopefully the addition of Richardson is going to allow the defense to carry the offense again.

Cautiously optimistic because we seemed to score TDs in the presason vs last year. But I think we have to see just how much difference Richardson adds to this line to know if it is going to allow our defense to win games for us again.

Seafan

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3ox70e10 said:
How did Williams not win a job???? Here I thought he was a lock after the Kearse deal. Also upset to see Desir and Reece go over some guys ii never heard of once this pre season. If p Rich and lockett go down do we bring in T.O??

If RW and Austin go down....

Not likely to lose two WRs in one game.

Baldwin, PRich and Lockett are your starters.

McEvoy is a high upside Red Zone target. If RW/Bevell ever figure out how to pass in the red zone.

Darboh has higher upside as a receiver. Knows/plays more positions than Kasen.

McKissic and Prosise are also good receivers.

If you don't know who these guys are how can you be upset? Seriously never heard of these guys but hang out on this forum.

There are about 100 players the Hawks could sign off the street who would be better than T.O.