Rumor - Matt Flynn trade imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeak

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":q7edys41 said:
I think you read more into it than what I intended to say. I was only saying they did him "right" - and agreeing with pehawk - that they are accommodating a trade for the purpose of giving him a chance to start somewhere else. Nothing more, nothing less. At that point, it's out of the Seahawks hands. If the Raiders want to insist that he restructure... that would be with his potential new team-to-be. Hope that clarifies. I'm not sure what you're questioning other than that. So, no... I wasn't kidding. (Too, the Seahawks didn't put him on the bench. One Russell Wilson did. But, there's not too many, if any, that could put RW on the bench. So... I actually believe Flynn could still prove his worth. As it turns out, it's just not likely to be with the Seahawks. I have liked everything I've seen out of him and he's done nothing wrong. It's just that Wilson is an elite QB with off-the-charts leadership. Can't compete with that. No doubt Matt Flynn already realizes he didn't get beat out by just some ordinary player.)

BUT I don't think Seahawks is doing anything for Flynn. We are trying to shed $3milion this year and what $5million next year. This isn't a Flynn favor this is getting picks and creating cap space and then signing a FA for cheap....

pehawk

Reaction score
IMO, it's fairly clear this org created a trade, where there wasn't one (its picks NEXT year, right?), just to give Flynn the option.

Flynn can choose now. Very clever...very clever and the RIGHT way to treat players.

Brilliant.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
pehawk":3dufrzfg said:
IMO, it's fairly clear this org created a trade, where there wasn't one (its picks NEXT year, right?), just to give Flynn the option.

Flynn can choose now. Very clever...very clever and the RIGHT way to treat players.

Brilliant.

Bingo! This year is supposed to be a down year in the draft, so we stockpile free agents and picks in next year's draft. And we treat our players well.

Omahawk

Reaction score
What did we give up in order to get Flynn in the first place? I'd just be happy if we could break even. I don't think his value has appreciated any. I just am having a hard time trying to find out what that was.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Omahawk":c66nm2fp said:
What did we give up in order to get Flynn in the first place? I'd just be happy if we could break even. I don't think his value has appreciated any. I just am having a hard time trying to find out what that was.

We gave up cash.

Signed a three-year, $19.5 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed -- a $6 million signing bonus

per Rotoworld.

That's it. He was a free agent.

PS: If you were being sarcastic, I apologize.

Omahawk

Reaction score
thanks. i forgot he was a free agent. it was a terrible question. but thanks for reminding me.

kearly

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":14shp161 said:
Those are amazing.

Nice avvy.

I actually agree with you. The Aaron Curry lime green and the Housh lime green are amazing, just in a darkly warped kind of way.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Omahawk":nqitf72j said:
thanks. i forgot he was a free agent. it was a terrible question. but thanks for reminding me.

No problem. I couldn't figure out if you were being sarcastic (trying to say that anything we get in return would be a plus since he cost us no draft picks) or if you really couldn't remember!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
JS has created a win/win situation here.

Scenario A: Creates a viable trade in a soft market on the premise that Flynn might take less money to potentially start. Gets multiple picks for a player who is unlikely to see meaningful PT in Seattle.

Scenario B: Flynn realizes the market for his services are pretty soft and happily collects the extra cash to back up Wilson for one more year. Potential malcontent situation diffused, and Flynn gets to let the aura of the Detroit game build up for another year as he gets set to pick his destination in 2014.

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":1z81y4kk said:

Brilliant.

We disagree. I think it is Seahawks first, second and third. We need the money for resigning a this and next two years. We don't need Flynn and there is zero trade value next year (one year left on the contract). You make a favor to a player like Leon when swapping 7th rounders is in the table. Not for a backup qb.....

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":58o3qt45 said:
Lady Talon":58o3qt45 said:
Hope Flynn gets the starting job in Oakland, and does it well. Don't have much love for the Raiders (less then the Niners tbh) but worth it to cheer Flynn on if it gets us a higher conditional pick next year, besides he deserves the chance to start before he's too old to show what he's got. As far as compensation if JS is happy, I am happy.

As for Flynn's usefulness to the Seahawks, he inadvertently helped show everyone in the country what Russell Wilson was, a fierce competitor that won out his starting job (as opposed to Luck, RG3, and Newton starting by default) and turned into one of the best QBs in the league in 2012. RW is a favorite of quite a few former Hawk haters as the QB they'd love to start a franchise around.

Flynn helped get Seattle the respect we have. Worth the money we paid, especially if we get some tough away games on the east coast changed to primetime because of it. Should be thankful to Flynn for launching RW's career and ushering in some good times for the Hawks.

You serious, Clark?

LOL why shouldn't fans be positive about him? If he didn't blow the starting job, we'd be 8-8 last year and have to hope this year RW would get a shot. Or we'd have 300,000 threads on why we should trade RW for a 7th round pick because he was a waste of a 3rd and was riding the pine.

nategreat

Reaction score
mikeak":2clfrbk8 said:
pehawk":2clfrbk8 said:

Brilliant.

We disagree. I think it is Seahawks first, second and third. We need the money for resigning a this and next two years. We don't need Flynn and there is zero trade value next year (one year left on the contract). You make a favor to a player like Leon when swapping 7th rounders is in the table. Not for a backup qb.....

Wait a second.... we disagree? You mean you disagree.

Anyhow, no one knows the trade compensation quite yet, so we are jumping the gun. But I do think that the front office and Pete have shown a genuine kindness to their players, even if that means shipping them off in a trade or releasing them outright. And I think this applies here as well.

kf3339

Reaction score
pehawk":363pfjwb said:

Brilliant.

No one knows yet what the offer is for Flynn so there is no way to say if it's a good trade option, or not. But personally if the deal is good for us at this point I don't really care if Flynn has a say. He got paid and now wants to have a chance to start.

He is not going to start for us unless Wilson gets hurt, and I wouldn't keep him at his salary just in case that happens. If the Raiders give him that option to start we trade him. It's not his decision.

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2to5fp66 said:
chris98251":2to5fp66 said:
All you wanting a camp fodder QB to back up Wilson so that there are no QB threads are pretty sad to see. These same people will bash Schnieder and Pete if Wilson goes down, they will bash the poor soul that steps in and gets manhandled trying to play the position.

So instead of a QB competition thread it will be a would of should of could of thread on why our front office can't find adequete QB's.

Or maybe they'll just be cursing the bad luck that Wilson got injured, accepting that aside from wrapping the guy in bubble wrap there's not a great deal Pete or John can do in terms of remaining a contender if Wilson goes down.

A case in point... how many Packers fans were on the brink of tearing down Lambeau because Graham Harrell was the backup to Aaron Rodgers?

None.

Yeah they have Harrell now, but what about when they had Brooks, Brunell, Hass, Rodgers behind Farve. You are just looking at Harrell when they have historically had a back up that stepped it up like Flynn did against Detroit. In a tight race for a division that I think we will be in if Wislon was out say three games to throw in a towel and say next year because there is no other Russell Wilson and nobody but him can run this offense is a pretty stupid approach to take when history has shown a smart fornt office has a guy ready to take up the reins if need be. S.F had Young and Garcia, Patriots had a guy named Brady when Bledsoe went down, sure Brady was a late round pick but was someone that was proven to be able to do the job, Cassel also was able to keep their season rolling.

Considering we have a pretty good arguement about our ability to select QB's other then Wilson as not our strong suit here. The fact that many teams have been able to limp forward so to speak and still make the playoffs because they had a guy that could step in is important. Dolphins did it with Morral and Strock, Bills continued their run due to Frank Reich, Cowboys had Morton and Staubach and later on Pelleur and White as depth when they made runs. Many of those QB were heir apparents to the starters at another point.

Why would you take and want a back up that could step in at any other position on the feild in the event of injury but throw in the twoel at the most important position on offense if the QB got hurt because you wanted to be a cheap penny pincher.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Why are some so freaked out by going commando without Flynn? The plan here has always been to develop and trade backups. Now with Flynn we didn't develop him, but if we can turn Flynn into two prospects, awesome.

There is probably going to be a day when we look back at the Flynn trade just like we look back at the Tapp trade. Those two picks for Flynn? I bet they already have a prospect or two in mind for the pick this year.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1czbc5s7 said:
Why are some so freaked out by going commando without Flynn? The plan here has always been to develop and trade backups. Now with Flynn we didn't develop him, but if we can turn Flynn into two prospects, awesome.

There is probably going to be a day when we look back at the Flynn trade just like we look back at the Tapp trade. Those two picks for Flynn? I bet they already have a prospect or two in mind for the pick this year.

I agree. If Wilson went down in week 8 I'd consider our chances of winning it all with Flynn to be extremely slim with my only hopes for the offence riding on the shoulders of Lynch and Harvin.

I'd much rather develop a young backup who has the potential to become high draft picks for us in yhr future.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kf3339":1e1qndcp said:
pehawk":1e1qndcp said:

Brilliant.

If the Raiders give him that option to start we trade him. It's not his decision.

??
I've always been undet the impression that if the player can't reach a deal with the new team the trade doesn't go through. Can someone clarify this?

Waterhawk1

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":mf2zby5n said:
kf3339":mf2zby5n said:
pehawk":mf2zby5n said:

Brilliant.

If the Raiders give him that option to start we trade him. It's not his decision.

??
I've always been undet the impression that if the player can't reach a deal with the new team the trade doesn't go through. Can someone clarify this?

Yes, you are correct. If the team getting said player agrees to the contract terms then it is a done deal. But if the team want's to renegotiate said player, and player says "no" and team can't agree, then trade null and void.

Status
Not open for further replies.