*Rumor* Seahawks almost traded Wilson to Browns in '18

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
AgentDib":2be7ai1a said:
Sun Tzu":2be7ai1a said:
I had assumed this was pretty common knowledge back in about March/April of 2018.
For the #1 overall pick in 2018? No way.
Not sure where you got the impression that a hypothetical trade would have included no more than the #1 overall pick in 2018. I imagine the theoretical alleged imaginary make-believe trade would have included much more than the 1st overall pick. Something similar to the Herschel Walker trade seems much more plausible. There is obviously no way to know for certain what was discussed or how far talks progressed (outside of someone high up in the Seahawks or Browns organization coming out and talking about what did not happen).

TreeRon

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":33msl7im said:
AgentDib":33msl7im said:
Sun Tzu":33msl7im said:
I had assumed this was pretty common knowledge back in about March/April of 2018.
For the #1 overall pick in 2018? No way.
Not sure where you got the impression that a hypothetical trade would have included no more than the #1 overall pick in 2018. I imagine the theoretical alleged imaginary make-believe trade would have included much more than the 1st overall pick. Something similar to the Herschel Walker trade seems much more plausible. There is obviously no way to know for certain what was discussed or how far talks progressed (outside of someone high up in the Seahawks or Browns organization coming out and talking about what did not happen).

As someone said....Where the link to the 2018 story?

What's more, yes it would have been STUPID for Seattle to trade Wilson but it would have been "STUPIDER" for Cleveland not to have done it !

jammerhawk

Reaction score
"Almost traded?"

What does that mean? Is it the same thing as the FO had a conversation with another team about that team trading for Wilson?

Coulda, woulda, shoulda = rubbish!

Sensationalist nonsense. This was never a public issue back then and as we know he wasn't traded. Another let's create news/controversy situation. Irresponsible journalism.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Well, it makes sense considering he was going into his contract year.

Glad the Browns declined it

Further evidence that Schneider doesn't know what he's doing! :sarcasm_off:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Jerhawk":32azqihn said:
Well, it makes sense considering he was going into his contract year.

Glad the Browns declined it

Further evidence that Schneider doesn't know what he's doing! :sarcasm_off:

It may mean at the end of this deal Wilson is gone.

getnasty

Reaction score
I can believe they might have been putting out feelers but just 1 first round pick? No way, maybe 3 or 4 first rounders.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
getnasty":1zho59id said:
I can believe they might have been putting out feelers but just 1 first round pick? No way, maybe 3 or 4 first rounders.
Or teams were calling Seattle asking for a trade.
A former M’s is executive said when Ken Griffey Jr was in his early prime they’d get calls from every other week with teams trying to land him in a trade, even though the other teams know the likelihood is close to zero.

He said they’d always listen but politely decline and hang up the phone.

This happens all the time in sports.

James in PA

Reaction score
HJ: "I've never heard anything so crazy in my life!" @ZachGelb: "So it's not true at all?" HJ: "No." Former #Browns HC Hue Jackson on The Zach Gelb Show in response to @CSimmsQB saying the #Seahawks talked to the #Browns about trading @DangeRussWilson for the 2018 #1 pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VB Hawk

Reaction score
This isn't a rumour its fact. Business of pro sports.

Remember we are talking 2 years ago not now...

Russ was after guaranteed total contract money....its all part of negotiations .

chris98251

Reaction score
They also said the Giants were interested or made it seem that way in Wilsons camp, remember the Yankees invitation and all that. It was negotiations

AgentDib

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":l2dnw1g8 said:
"Timing becomes a very real question", "Some think it's just a matter of time", "Some who are close enough to the situation" is just Florio's typical way of making up a nonsense story and then not claiming any responsibility for it.

We're certainly not going to incur big cap charges ourselves in order to have Wilson play on a different team, and he won't be a free agent again until 2024.

Should the team not be able to reach a deal with him in 2024 then a trade could be a possibility, but even then Russ would likely exercise the no trade clause in order to hit free agency and get the biggest payday.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As usual, a fabricated story for some clicks and attention. And..... people fell for it hook, line and sinker.

xray

Reaction score
This is not a negative statement so hold your gunfire...Wilson's contract eats up 15% of the whole pie . That is already a detriment for the Hawks . If he starts getting dinged and misses games or if his play starts to noticeably digress ; the Hawks will surely consider a trade option or not offering an contract extension . I would bet that he won't play his entire career in Seattle anyway . The Hawks window with Wilson is getting smaller not larger . IMO

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1xc994r4 said:
He has MANY years left in him. Not worried in the least.

Hopefully many years but not all in Seattle IMO . Do you really believe he will be in Seattle forever ? We all thought that Brady would never leave NE .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's going to finish his career in Seattle. That's my opinion and I stick to it.
IF he doesn't, it will be similar to Brady, maybe one or two final seasons after he turns 40. Not gonna' worry about it though.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think at the end of this deal if RW is still elite and the team has no chance of winning another super bowl he walks to another team that does.

Latest posts