(Rumor) Williams Deal!

Lagartixa

Reaction score
From the linked article:
It’s interesting for the Seahawks to try and give Williams an extension after giving Daron Payne an extension of his own last year.

Help me out here, gang. Has Daron Payne ever been on the Seahawks?

Seahawks, Commanders... easy mistake to make. :rolleyes:

Well, I will admit that both teams are "from Washington"...

This doesn't exactly increase the credibility of the site touting the rumor about a Williams deal.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Why would he not test the market and get the most he can at this point? Because we’ve got the best shrubberies?

warden

Reaction score
A rumor with substance. Schneider says they are in negotiations with Williams and it is the teams top priority.

They didn’t trade away a second round pick for this guy without the intentions of doing everything within reason to resign him

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It's not even a rumor. It's speculation and nothing we don't already know. The dollars are just someone's guess.

NJlargent

Reaction score
He's one of are best players on D. I hope the rumor pans out to be true.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
A rumor with substance. Schneider says they are in negotiations with Williams and it is the teams top priority.

They didn’t trade away a second round pick for this guy without the intentions of doing everything within reason to resign him

This strikes me as nonsense, but I'm not picking on you. A lot of people around here (on .NET) have been saying this since the trade, and the logical fallacy you're all committing is extremely common among us human beings.

Trading for Williams gave the Seahawks no advantage for re-signing him. If he wants to be a free agent, he'll be a free agent. The fact that the Seahawks gave up a second-round pick to get him doesn't change that. More importantly, it should also change nothing in the Seahawks' calculations of the contract terms they're willing to give Williams. What they should be willing to offer him should be exactly the same as what they'd be willing to offer him if he had not been traded to the Seahawks and instead played out his contract with the Giants or some other team.

The second-round pick the Seahawks traded for Williams is what's known in economics as a sunk cost. I hope the Seahawks front office is smart enough not to fall into the trap of the sunk-cost fallacy.

From the article on sunk costs I linked above and put in the color closest to "action green" I saw, there's a pretty good description of the sunk-cost fallacy:
Sunk costs often influence people's decisions, with people believing that investments (i.e., sunk costs) justify further expenditures. People demonstrate "a greater tendency to continue an endeavor once an investment in money, effort, or time has been made". This is the sunk cost fallacy, and such behavior may be described as "throwing good money after bad", while refusing to succumb to what may be described as "cutting one's losses".

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This right here ^^^^^^

With the contracts that guys are getting on the D Line? 3 for 50 would be incredible.
Side note, I'm very curious what they are going to do with Jones.

bileever

Reaction score
This strikes me as nonsense, but I'm not picking on you. A lot of people around here (on .NET) have been saying this since the trade, and the logical fallacy you're all committing is extremely common among us human beings.

Trading for Williams gave the Seahawks no advantage for re-signing him. If he wants to be a free agent, he'll be a free agent. The fact that the Seahawks gave up a second-round pick to get him doesn't change that. More importantly, it should also change nothing in the Seahawks' calculations of the contract terms they're willing to give Williams. What they should be willing to offer him should be exactly the same as what they'd be willing to offer him if he had not been traded to the Seahawks and instead played out his contract with the Giants or some other team.

The second-round pick the Seahawks traded for Williams is what's known in economics as a sunk cost. I hope the Seahawks front office is smart enough not to fall into the trap of the sunk-cost fallacy.

From the article on sunk costs I linked above and put in the color closest to "action green" I saw, there's a pretty good description of the sunk-cost fallacy:
Exactly. It doesn't have to be Williams. We need help on the interior defensive line, but there are other players available--Arik Armstead and DJ Reader, for example. It doesn't make sense to overpay for Williams if DJ Reader can be had for less.

Btw, has anyone explained the sunk-cost fallacy to JS? Because he clearly doesn't understand it.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Well the longer we don't hear anything, most likely he may be testing the free agency waters...there are teams out there with more salary cap space who could ink a better deal...hard as it may be .....