(Rumor) Williams Deal!

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Exactly. It doesn't have to be Williams. We need help on the interior defensive line, but there are other players available--Arik Armstead and DJ Reader, for example. It doesn't make sense to overpay for Williams if DJ Reader can be had for less.

Btw, has anyone explained the sunk-cost fallacy to us? Because we clearly dont understand it.
Fixed it for ya

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
That Christian Wilkins deal scares me. We're either about to pay an absolute fortune for Williams or we've just gave up a much needed second round pick for a rental

Rat

Reaction score
Dammit, Christian Wilkins would have solved a LOT of our problems. He's going to be a terror for opposing OLs for at least the next half-decade. I wish we had made a push for him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For THAT kind of money? Yeah, no. You can't just go out and spend a sh** ton of money on every player, it's not realistic.
4 years, 110 mil? WAY too much.

Rat

Reaction score
For THAT kind of money? Yeah, no. You can't just go out and spend a sh** ton of money on every player, it's not realistic.
4 years, 110 mil? WAY too much.
I'm not suggesting blowing through our money in free agency like we're Daniel Snyder in the early 2000s, but we talk about building the trenches and Wilkins is one of the best in the league at what he does.

These deals always look unreasonable early in free agency. Then in a year or two, the player is holding out because their contract is suddenly a bargain.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya. Trenches first for sure. This is the part of free agency that sucks. A few teams overpay, by a lot, and then the market is set.
Also, EVERY time a player signs somewhere, it's followed by "I can't believe we didn't do this" etc.
It just doesn't work that way. There are 32 teams. So, 31 other teams "should have" signed x player when a team signs a guy.

All that being said, this is an incredible year to be a free agent. Esp. with that huge jump in the cap.

GemCity

Reaction score
I hear ya. Trenches first for sure. This is the part of free agency that sucks. A few teams overpay, by a lot, and then the market is set.
Also, EVERY time a player signs somewhere, it's followed by "I can't believe we didn't do this" etc.
It just doesn't work that way. There are 32 teams. So, 31 other teams "should have" signed x player when a team signs a guy.

All that being said, this is an incredible year to be a free agent. Esp. with that huge jump in the cap.
Definitely shaky times. I don’t want to overpay and at the same time, you have to dive in once in awhile.

If we hadn’t given up the 2nd, I’d be less worried. Then again, NY wouldn’t have traded him.

If we can do 17 a year, sign his ass pronto.

P.S. you can’t say those last four words anywhere but in a sports forum.

Rat

Reaction score
Reader got hurt last season and I don't believe he's expected to be ready for the start of the next, but he's a tremendous player when healthy; arguably the Bengals best defender.

Rat

Reaction score
Grover Stewart re-signed with the Colts at 3/39. Good value on that. DT market drying up fast.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It won’t matter who JS signs or re-signs the Nellies will grumble over the contracts signed.

This player was the best DLineman on the team last season. He is a legit top level interior DLineman. The contract looks to be fair and and I’m pleased it got done. One less positional need, though his re-signing doesn’t prevent the team from drafting a good interior player.

To me this is great opening to Free Agency.

Last edited: