Run the Damn ball!

ivotuk

Reaction score
When did this team become pass first?
Penny with only 14 carries? Meanwhile Geno threw the ball 44 times?
While the Falcons ran the ball..31 times.. And won.
Penny: 4.7 YPC
Dallas: 7.0 YPC
Walker : 6.3 YPC
Absolutely idiotic play calling for a team with a relatively inexperienced QB.
Running the ball helps your defense...

Mizak

Reaction score
There were some pro Pete, pro Geno dudes on here getting on Wilson’s case about it. Suddenly, they’re all silent when Geno is in the same predicament as Wilson.

Polk738

Reaction score
I was thinking the exact same thing, Penny was getting good YPC there was no reason for Geno to be throwing that much especially with how shitty the defense was today.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The gameplan was to get DK and the TEs involved more. I'm okay with the passing.

The defense is so bad right now, don't think more TOP would have helped them.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Smith and Hawks ZERO points in 4th quarter in 3 games. explain those facts.
Full team collapse in those situations. Geno shouldn't be relied on to create, as he's not a creative quarterback. He plays within structure to a fault, which is why he isn't a legitimate contender to be a future building block. That said, the run game has generally sucked outside of this game, and Waldron seems overall poor as a playcaller when they get outside of their scripted situations.

That being said, Geno has exceeded my expectations as a stopgap. He's a tier above Tarvaris (RIP) in the same situation.

Now, back on topic - yeah, shoulda ran more. Gotta keep feeding Penny.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
You don't run the ball just to run the ball. Did Geno pass a lot? Yes. Did he complete a lot and move the chains? Yes. We scored points on five drives. So who cares about pass to run ratio? (I mean, grand scheme, yes, I'd like us closer to 55/45 or even 50/50, but for this game specifically, whatever).

I would have liked to see us run more after the penalty on the final drive because I think we would have caught the defense off guard, but that's nitpicking.

We didn't lose because Geno passed too much. We lost because our defense got ran over. Atlanta was running because we couldn't stop the run, not because they thought they needed to run a lot to win.

They ran a lot because it was working. We passed a lot because it was working.

EDIT: Additionally, I want to point out that the way running the ball helps the defense is by keeping them off the field to give them rest. We WON Time of Possession this game. Our defense didn't need extra rest, they need a better handle on their assignments (and they needed to not lose Adams, which I think is a very large issue for this defense right now).

eo620

Reaction score
We're all over the road here. First we want to throw more, then we want more running plays. I believe the run sets up the pass and vice versa. We need a smart balance. Get Penny and Walker III going and then throw. Geno's completion % is solid enough to pick up chunks at a time. Slow, progressive drives with the occasional long ball just to mix things up and keep defenses on their heels.

But! ... the D has to realize this is not a two hand touch league! Teams are getting first downs at will. Defense has to keep us in the game to give Geno a chance.

Fade

Reaction score
When did this team become pass first?
Penny with only 14 carries? Meanwhile Geno threw the ball 44 times?
While the Falcons ran the ball..31 times.. And won.
Penny: 4.7 YPC
Dallas: 7.0 YPC
Walker : 6.3 YPC
Absolutely idiotic play calling for a team with a relatively inexperienced QB.
Running the ball helps your defense...
Teams are loading the box and daring the Seahawks to throw.

Geno has to prove he can win games with his arm and then opponents will back off.

Shanny/McVay system has 2 playcalls in the huddle one run & one pass. They key a defender and go from there.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
This is going to be difficult. As a fan I want to see the run game develop. I wouldn’t mind running on every play right now. Run it down their throats until we have a running game.

But Geno thinks he is Seattles QB and what about Lockett and DK’s stats? PC should just get this team on the same page. This is a rebuild and development year but I guarantee none of the players will say that because PC refuses to.

I really don’t like Pete’s deception crap

morgulon1

Reaction score
The gameplan was to get DK and the TEs involved more. I'm okay with the passing.

The defense is so bad right now, don't think more TOP would have helped them.
Running the ball keeps the opposing teams offense off the field.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
The cutback lane is never there because Gabe Jackson and Blythe get blown off the ball instantaneously.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is going to be difficult. As a fan I want to see the run game develop. I wouldn’t mind running on every play right now. Run it down their throats until we have a running game.

But Geno thinks he is Seattles QB and what about Lockett and DK’s stats? PC should just get this team on the same page. This is a rebuild and development year but I guarantee none of the players will say that because PC refuses to.

I really don’t like Pete’s deception crap
Deception is such a sensitive way to put it, if we're being honest

If you want brutal honesty from coaches, let me direct you to... oh, no one. No one does that. The ones that do don't have jobs.

Latest posts