Running Game vital to resurgance

Subzero717

Reaction score
Ambrose83":23pl9y1j said:
The preseason ? Lol performing well then means literally nothing. It's the line and coaching... period .
Wait. What do you mean those games don't count?

For that matter Kasen and Desir lit it up in the preseason.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
IrishNW":fldngtz8 said:
I thought Collins and Davis looked better then lacy, rawls and procsise.

IrishNW":fldngtz8 said:
Collins fumbled against the vikings

I don't see how these two statements reconcile. Ball security is part of the job description, not some side-along quality. You can't fumble and look good as a running back at the same time.

I'm glad Collins got a shot in Baltimore, but that doesn't negate Pete's decision to jettison him. Carson's emergence and Collins' ill fit at WR and ST also played roles in his departure. And it's worth pointing out that he's still fumbling over in Baltimore.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":32e2j3ha said:
Running game - No we don't have a viable running game. I don't know why people want to proclaim Carson and Davis the answers to our woes when they haven't done anything to dictate that. They are somewhat better than the rest of our hot garbage, but that's not saying much. Give me a single 100 yard rushing game from either one of them and then maybe i'll feel a little better.

Terrible standard for judging a RB four games into his career. Carson had a spark. He won the competition decisively. Anyone who knows how to judge game tape could see what he was offering.

pittpnthrs":32e2j3ha said:
The regression this team has taken the past 3 years is for real. Its going to get worse before it gets better. I like your enthusiasm but your going to look back after the next season or two and wonder what you were thinking.

Yeah, so regressed that we just kept going back to the playoffs year after year and still might make it this year. Injuries matter, dude. It may not be emotionally satisfying, but that doesn't make it untrue.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3mn1tkop said:
pittpnthrs":3mn1tkop said:
Running game - No we don't have a viable running game. I don't know why people want to proclaim Carson and Davis the answers to our woes when they haven't done anything to dictate that. They are somewhat better than the rest of our hot garbage, but that's not saying much. Give me a single 100 yard rushing game from either one of them and then maybe i'll feel a little better.

Terrible standard for judging a RB four games into his career. Carson had a spark. He won the competition decisively. Anyone who knows how to judge game tape could see what he was offering.

pittpnthrs":3mn1tkop said:
The regression this team has taken the past 3 years is for real. Its going to get worse before it gets better. I like your enthusiasm but your going to look back after the next season or two and wonder what you were thinking.

Yeah, so regressed that we just kept going back to the playoffs year after year and still might make it this year. Injuries matter, dude. It may not be emotionally satisfying, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Yes Carson had a spark. Like I said, he looked better than the rest of the trash we had. I don't think anybody was rushing out to replace their Lynch or Alexander jerseys at anytime. Carson looked serviceable and that was more than the rest of the RB core at the time.

Yeah we went back to the playoffs with each year getting worse. Carolina whipped us bad and then there was no doubt Atlanta was going to destroy us. There's a better shot of filming Santa Claus coming down your chimney and drinking a cocoa with him than the Seahawks making the playoffs this season. Blame it on the injuries all you want (they wouldn't have mattered), but if we keep this coaching staff in place for next season, we're going to be seeing .500 or worse.

IrishNW

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":22j9v1l8 said:
IrishNW":22j9v1l8 said:
I thought Collins and Davis looked better then lacy, rawls and procsise.

IrishNW":22j9v1l8 said:
Collins fumbled against the vikings

I don't see how these two statements reconcile. Ball security is part of the job description, not some side-along quality. You can't fumble and look good as a running back at the same time.

I'm glad Collins got a shot in Baltimore, but that doesn't negate Pete's decision to jettison him. Carson's emergence and Collins' ill fit at WR and ST also played roles in his departure. And it's worth pointing out that he's still fumbling over in Baltimore.

I thought even with the fumble Collins had a better preseason as a whole then eddie lacy. Lacy showed almost nothing in the preseason and now hes getting paid to not play. Collins has fumble issues but he atleast showed some life.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I don't get how we haven't been able to run the ball well the past couple of years outside of maybe three games in 2016. I agree with Hernia that it's a bit of everything but what the heck happened between 2015 and now? RBs are pretty replaceable tbh and while we wouldn't be getting elite production with the guys we have now, there's no way they should be this bad. Are our guards really so awful the run game is dead on arrival? There are also ample examples of guys just making bone headed mistakes and the fact that it's still happening now points squarely to coaching.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":9kdq4pzk said:
nwHawk":9kdq4pzk said:
We can talk about cutting, trading and rebuilding the defense all we want, but we MUST rebuild our running game. This will help make some of our growing pains as we developed the next wave of defensive studs. Think about the transform Pete made when he first arrived. We will not develop that dominate mindset again until we control games. We need to shorten games again.

We need to change our oline mentality - get nasty SOBs that are ready for battle. We need to add at least two more legit RBs, and one needs to be a bellcow thumper. Stop playing catch up football!

One fear I have is that we have moved too far with lean athletic lineman because of Wilson's "keep the play alive" style. The future will be interesting.

Riiiight its Wilson fault, LOL

I'm not assigning blame to Russ, I place that on Cable and Bevell. Where are the running back and right end screens to slow down the rush. How about layered WR routes instead of 4 or 5 "go" routes?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Carson looks like he could be a very good NFL running back. I'm still drafting one early in the draft if I feel like I can get my Gurley, Bell elite game changing back. It will help Wilson because they won't be able to drop 7 into coverage while rushing 4 and it helps the line by giving them a larger margin of error and a play still being successful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
While Mr. Pacific’s enthusiastic post is, well, very enthusiastic, it should not be dismissed as a quixotic predilection either, he actually makes some very reasonable, if not popular, points.

The running game has shown improvement, albeit a small improvement, Davis’ worst game, this last one, was as good as any lead back this season not named Carson. Neither of these RBs should be considered HOF material, by any stretch of the imagination,but improvement of any kind helps all other aspects of the offense.

If Russell doesn’t have to throw the ball 15 or 20 yards a play, this offense has been able to move the chains against some pretty good defenses. When, or if, they’ve gotten to the red zone they they’ve even improved on scoring.

The defense, while battered, bruised, and certainly not eliet, it is still a middle of the road NFL defense, by any defensive static, and middle of the road is still good enough to win any game, give the proper set of conditions. If the Rams game showed what can happen when everything goes wrong, the Eagles game showed what can happen if things go right.

The coaching staff has proven they can win with good, average, and bad teams. To dismiss them as inadequate dunces would be an equally hyperbolic extreme, but no matter where one falls on the scale of their competence to try to pinpoint them as a single cause is, at least, shortsighted.

So, while Pacific101’s opinion may seem too excessive for many, to dismiss it outright, or the points he’s trying to make, would be an equally fallacious argument.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I'll play devils advocate here and say that i don't see RB as a top tier need. I can't see even gurley or bell out playing Carson or prosise to a large enough degree that it outweighs the difference we'd see by finding serviceable OL, LB of the future, secondary gems, or even a new Prich since he may turn out too costly.

We can't establish the run without a solid line, and this formula just doesn't add up. We have to strike gold in the draft somehow, someway and grab a mean grinder with intelligence who can keep penalties to absolute minimum, ie, do scramble drills without holding. Another unger type can't be that difficult to find given two early round tries. Imagine a line with brown, rookie LG solid journeyman, britt, ifedi, fant. Cheap and probably far more effective than this frankenstein.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I honestly don't see what those advocating for the current RB situation with Cable are seeing. Saying it is improved really isnt saying anything. Its just less horrendous.

Either that or what we consider to be adequate needs to be recalibrated one way or the other.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":243i0q7o said:
The coaching staff has proven they can win with good, average, and bad teams.

When have they proven they can win with bad teams? My biggest gripe with Carroll is that he has always needed an all star team with elite talent to be successful (even in college). He can build them but when the talent level resides, he struggles.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1ipcy0si said:
FidelisHawk":1ipcy0si said:

When have they proven they can win with bad teams? My biggest gripe with Carroll is that he has always needed an all star team with elite talent to be successful (even in college). He can build them but when the talent level resides, he struggles.

Well, he won a playoff game with a team that was 7 and 9, when few gave him a chance to.

If you want to call that team average fair enough.

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
That game was a blast to watch in person. Pete had them amped up to beat the Aint's!!!

Subzero717

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":fvv3i65l said:
FidelisHawk":fvv3i65l said:

Does he get no credit for coaching them to be elite players? I mean, outside of Earl not one 1st rounder in the secondary, LBing group.
How many coaches win with horrible players?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Subzero717":icbtuqvj said:
pittpnthrs":icbtuqvj said:
FidelisHawk":icbtuqvj said:

Does he get no credit for coaching them to be elite players? I mean, outside of Earl not one 1st rounder in the secondary, LBing group.
How many coaches win with horrible players?

for the defense yes, but then he gest the nod for doing almost nothing for the offense. bad drafts bad oline, no #1 wr, bad game plan,letting your franchise QB get hit, hurried and sacked at historic levels etc etc.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Wow, Davis had an awful day today and I'm not sure I can blame him at all. 15 carries for 25 yards courtesy of multiple negative runs. I'm not sure what can be done or if I should have any faith this is getting fixed. Our guard play and TE blocking is terrible.