Russ benched

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not exactly saying that the numbers don't match the tape. I'm saying that the numbers don't match what he's doing for that franchise.

Let's put aside for a moment that his pocket navigation has never improved, and that he still is looking off designed concepts far too often in favor of unscripted play.

The trade-off on Russ that film dudes like Griff and Matty (I'm not including Allbright, who is an absolute joke and should not be considered a film guy) have maintained or supported is that *there is one type of offense that Russell Wilson can run.* This is not something Sean Payton is running in terms of boot/PA stuff, which is where the criticism is coming from, but it is philosophically more akin to how he succeeds (low volume of attempts).

Kurt Benkert also dug into Russ hard earlier this year, claiming that Russ was actively and purposefully prioritizing his own statistics over the success of his offense.

Even with Kurt being more complimentary towards Russell than Payton, Kurt acknowledged that much of Russell's success is coming from the fact that he was way too fat for his own good and lost 15 pounds this offseason (which he needed to do... for several years now).

If we're going to appeal to the absolute authority of those film guys, I think you're opening yourself up to a LOT of conclusions that they are CERTAIN of but that you strongly disagree with - especially relating to your original comparison of Russ to Geno (Griff especially would have something to say about the actual accuracy of that comparison).
Griff has been very complimentary of Wilson and has talked extensively about how good he was in Seattle. He also just said this past week that Russ still does a lot of stuff very well and what Payton is doing seems weird as we saw in the 4th quarter when Wilson had 2 touchdowns. I’ll say it again with full confidence every guy we listed would agree. Wilson was a special player in Seattle. No one disputes that outside of Seahawk fans who are pissed at him

Ozzy

Reaction score
Will he interesting to see where he ends up. He was good enough this year someone will sign him. I could see Atlanta making taking a chance

Seak

Reaction score
I would argue people are being way too emotional and it's clouding their judgement. Again I'm not a groupie, I would bench him too but its not because he's been terrible but more about what Denver needs to do long term to get back to a place they want to be.
Ya man Ive been enjoying the dogpile on Russ as much as anybody, but to say that the past we all had with him has no effect on feelings / judgement would be crazy.
I dont think he had much of a chance this year payton unless he played MVP caliber. Payton seemed to want him gone before he even showed up to Denver.

That being said this is still hilarious hahahha

LastRideOut

Reaction score
you cant just look at stats. After all this time and all the shiney numbers covering for his faults, doesn't the benching change your thinking at all? He simply is incapable of running an NFL offense. It's on tape over and over and over again and has been for years. And now one of the best offensive minds who looks at Russ everyday. Works with him. Talks to him. Watches him run plays that he designs and has watched his team underperform, is benching him.

Sean Payton pretty much said exactly what you said. This is what he said about the 16 pt comeback:

It was more spontaneous, it was more spread empty (backfield)… And we made some plays. But it’s hard to say you’re going to make a living that way as your base offense.

Welshers2

Reaction score
Which guy is playing better?

A: 17/9 TD-INT ratio 64% completion percentage and 3145 yards
B: 26/8 TD-INT ratio 66% completion percentage and 3070 yards

I think it's funny some people in this very thread claim one guy is terrible while arguing one guy is a top 10 player at QB and the top 10 player's skill position players are light years better.

Smart move for Denver though and I would do the same thing. You need to reset there and he's not the answer moving forward.
But are there really people who think Geno is a top 10 QB? I certainly don't but I'd definitely take him over Russ when you bring contracts into it

Seak

Reaction score
It just keeps getting better. Russ always had a fragile ego.

Thats weird, if thats the only reason you think Wilson would have agreed. Strictly just to save the the fact hes being benched

*Edit* actually read past the headline lol
Thats even crazier they were trying to do it way back in Oct

Torc

Reaction score
it's hard to say this about a dude with a couple hundred million bucks in his pocket but....

money aside, Russ is screwed. Suppose he had been released at the end of last year (impossible with the cap impact but just imagine it). Lots of teams would have been interested in giving him a try, because clearly Hackett was in over his head and didn't utilize his best asset. But now one of the most respected QB gurus has had a year to work with him with limited success. I'm not sure at this point that anyone will bring him in as the designated starter. He kind of reminds me of Cam Newton - a player that achieved some greatness but now no one will touch because he's lost whatever magic he had. And like Cam I seriously doubt he will accept a backup role.

I think Russ' HOF chances have taken a beating as well.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I don't care for Payton, but it's refreshing to see someone who knows football call Russ's game what it is. Flashy. Can get you points. But is entirely unsustainable.

To be very honest, I'm surprised Payton didn't have a competition for the starting job at QB this past off season. Instead, Russ was handed the job.

Mistake #1 for Sean Payton. I know he went to Denver to "fix" Russ and all that but if Russ can't beat out Stidham, well, that I think answers a lot of questions right off the bat.

But no, Denver is at week 16, having benched Russ. What took so long?

Just another reason to add to the list of why I think Sean Payton might be a bit overrated.

Aircrew

Reaction score
In August I had DangerPuss getting benched by Thanksgiving, turns out I was about 4 weeks early.

All that's left now is RW's inevitable release. Then all the stories start oozing out of Denver about him and what was really going on, just like they did here after the trade.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
All that's left now?
The clock is ticking on Sean Payton shown the door.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Good coach?
I don't know. That narrative could change quickly.
Inflexible, old dude that yells at his QB?

If he continues losing, lose the locker room maybe, and now you're in Urban Meyer territory.

keasley45

Reaction score
To be very honest, I'm surprised Payton didn't have a competition for the starting job at QB this past off season. Instead, Russ was handed the job.

Mistake #1 for Sean Payton. I know he went to Denver to "fix" Russ and all that but if Russ can't beat out Stidham, well, that I think answers a lot of questions right off the bat.

But no, Denver is at week 16, having benched Russ. What took so long?

Just another reason to add to the list of why I think Sean Payton might be a bit overrated.
Honestly?

I think he probably had to show Paton that it wouldn't work.

The challenge with Russ is that he rarely puts up BAD numbers. His issue is that his overall style of play isn't sustainable. But on paper, his play looks good. Watch the games and you see a less than glowing reality.

I'd wager when Payton was hired, he already knew Russ wasn't a qb who could run his system. He had to know that. For him, that's a non starter. But Paton probably told him - hey, we invested a fortune into this guy. He was terrible with Hackett, but great in Seattle. See if you can get our money back and turn him into something you can use, and if doesnt work and we have nothung to play for, you can move on.

Rememeber how efusive Payton was in praising Stidham? He signed him to a 2 year deal, worth a bit more than standard backup dollars.

This outcome was written as soon as Payton was signed. No way Russ was capable of ever sniffing what Brees did with Payton. Sean knew it, before day one. His bosses just had to understand it for themselves.

Makes me appreciate John and Pete even more.

And when i think to hard about it, get angry at Pete for holding up the transtion away from ME3 for as long as he did. Or worse , undermining a legacy team because of the soft spot he had for the guy.

Hopefully Russ learns from this and actually improves. Although at 35, you have to wonder whether he'll bother trying to come back from what is a colossal fall from grace.

Latest posts