Russ was off today

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2918n3wi said:
Scottemojo":2918n3wi said:
A few facts, pouring rain and some wind might account for drops and deep accuracy issues.

I don't think Russ has mechanical issues or happy feet. I think he remembers how he got hurt last year, when Okung went out. Yesterday, Okung was out, and it sped up his internal playclock.

Also, Oakland did some things very well. We don't usually see non division opponents sitting on a bootleg call, but the Raiders were, and Russ had to get rid of the ball in a hurry. They took away Baldwin for the most part. They had linebackers ready to scrape the read option.

Even as a rookie, if Russ is pressing he is over throwing, and his overthrows sail. Like yesterday.

I know you are trying to find reasons for Wilson's bad game, but sometimes bad games just happen. He wasn't just overthrowing receivers, he was overthrowing them by a body length at times, and he had some underthrown passes too. He had some really bad passes while under zero pressure with totally relaxed body language. He also missed a lot of throws in the previous two games as well. I wouldn't say he looked "amped up" either, in fact he almost looked kinda sleepy.

One observation I had when watching the game again was the Wilson's bad throws all came in bunches. There was a point in the game where Wilson had four off-the-mark passes on four straight pass attempts, IIRC. Just kind of felt like a weird game where he didn't have it on a few drives but did have it on others.

Wilson had been kind of waivering in the previous two games with his accuracy already, maybe something is wrong with him in the post-Harvin offense (lack of practice) and it took some mildly arduous conditions to serve as fertile ground to make a random bad game look so awful.

Baldwin had five catches on six targets, it was as if Wilson saved his best throws for Baldwin. I saw another play where Wilson panicked and pulled down to scramble while Baldwin was running wide open down the sideline after two Raiders corners goofed up on an assignment switch. That said, I thought Wilson did a pretty good job finding his open receivers this time, which made the distance accuracy so frustrating.

You are no doubt correct. I guess more what I was trying to say is I don't see this being a long term or permanent issue. He isn't Mirer II.

Latest posts