Russ was off today

NINEster

Reaction score
hawkfan68":31q4hfok said:
HuskerHawk":31q4hfok said:
A major factor for quarterback success is what he has around him, especially at the NFL level. Duh no brainer right? Russell Wilson is certainly pressing, but that is directly due to the fact that he has very little talent around him. Bevell doesn't help, but without mincing words the Hawks have a terrible oline and receiving corps (sans Baldwin, but he can't carry the team). Fix these issues, and Wilson will flourish. It's that simple. Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback of this generation, was actually getting criticized last year and the beginning of this year. People were calling him washed up and some even calling for Garoppolo. Funnily enough this coincided with him having the worst offensive weapons of his career (and that's saying something). Now with a healthy Gronk and the addition of slightly above average NFLer Brandon Lafell, he's playing some of the best football of his career. Russell Wilson has it worse, possibly a lot worse, than Brady had it last year. Chew on that.

Yes and no. Some QBs have the ability to make those around them better. Rodgers, Manning, and Brady have done that in the past. Russell was doing that in 2012 and 2013. He hasn't done that this year for some reason.

I think you're overrating his ability to do it the last two years if you think it's a problem at all this year.

Wilson was never one of those QBs. Maybe he can become that but no way was he doing anything that any other QB not named Rodgers, Manning, Brady hasn't been able to do themselves.

He elevated WR play by tripling or quadrupling their route running time. To me that's been his biggest strength and the more that's been taken away from him the more he's struggled.

You give Kaepernick a few things he likes and he will slaughter you. Take those away and it's a lot tougher.

To me it's very simple: young QB, still a lot to learn. The young QB class of 2011/2012 have been spoiled with great defenses, running games, and the pistol/read option fad. Given everything we know about these guys then and now and seeing their actual mechanics on film having improved while overall play is LESS dominant tells me everything I need to know about the reality of their skillset at this current time.

Anthony!

Reaction score
NINEster":36014kev said:
hawkfan68":36014kev said:
HuskerHawk":36014kev said:
A major factor for quarterback success is what he has around him, especially at the NFL level. Duh no brainer right? Russell Wilson is certainly pressing, but that is directly due to the fact that he has very little talent around him. Bevell doesn't help, but without mincing words the Hawks have a terrible oline and receiving corps (sans Baldwin, but he can't carry the team). Fix these issues, and Wilson will flourish. It's that simple. Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback of this generation, was actually getting criticized last year and the beginning of this year. People were calling him washed up and some even calling for Garoppolo. Funnily enough this coincided with him having the worst offensive weapons of his career (and that's saying something). Now with a healthy Gronk and the addition of slightly above average NFLer Brandon Lafell, he's playing some of the best football of his career. Russell Wilson has it worse, possibly a lot worse, than Brady had it last year. Chew on that.

Yes and no. Some QBs have the ability to make those around them better. Rodgers, Manning, and Brady have done that in the past. Russell was doing that in 2012 and 2013. He hasn't done that this year for some reason.

I think you're overrating his ability to do it the last two years if you think it's a problem at all this year.

Wilson was never one of those QBs. Maybe he can become that but no way was he doing anything that any other QB not named Rodgers, Manning, Brady hasn't been able to do themselves.

He elevated WR play by tripling or quadrupling their route running time. To me that's been his biggest strength and the more that's been taken away from him the more he's struggled.

You give Kaepernick a few things he likes and he will slaughter you. Take those away and it's a lot tougher.

To me it's very simple: young QB, still a lot to learn. The young QB class of 2011/2012 have been spoiled with great defenses, running games, and the pistol/read option fad. Given everything we know about these guys then and now and seeing their actual mechanics on film having improved while overall play is LESS dominant tells me everything I need to know about the reality of their skillset at this current time.

Yeah except he did make them better, and right now with all the oline issues, and the play calling and Wr not being able to get open, even he is struggling. The fact you say he was tripling their route running time proves the point on the Wr, but he also elevated their play by giving them chances to go up and get the ball and make a play. By putting it were no one but the can get it and them getting it, Something not happening this year. They are not making the plays, and he does not have the time behind this oline to do more.

To me it is very simple bad oline + bad Wr drops not getting open + bad play calling = to much for any QB to over come on his own. Does not matter how much a Qb tried to elevate those around them, they still need to make the play.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
If this was Russell Wilson's worst career game, I'll take it. I've seen Hall of Fame quarterbacks have rougher games than this. A lot of 'em.

And we can probably dispense with the Monday morning quarterbacking. The same blank stare we said was "robotic, efficient, cool and calculating" is now "disinterested"? The passes he's thrown before that were high because he was "new and tended to throw high when skittish" are now "a sign he's been ruined for good!"?

A few off games--hell, a few bad games--are nothing to sweat, especially when we win them. He's had a lot of missing pieces he can't work with, and coupled with an off game himself, it's going to look bad. Sometimes really bad. Yes, he was quite inaccurate on a number of his throws. But the majority of those throws were to two guys--Kearse and Willson--and if you take those guys out of the equation, he was actually pretty decent. That means at least some of the blame falls on them too.

He'll bounce back. We'll improve. Especially as we get some of the myriad starters back from injury. And soon, maybe even next week, Russell Wilson will look completely unstoppable, and he'll be back to being the best quarterback the league has seen for at least the last quarter of a century.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Our center is a third stringer, our starting LG and LT were out and our rookie RT just had himself a McQuistanesque (the LT version) game.

I'm worried, but not because of RW. If our line can't get healthy then au revoir a la bol de super, or even the play offs for that matter.

We've all seen how good RW can be with a competent O-line. That happened when we got healthy down the stretch of the 2012 season, and Russ was playing at MVP level (in his Rookie year).

Oh, and if Luke Willson could catch a football then we might not even be having this conversation, or at least to the same degree. Get the man some stickum! I'm betting a compilation of Luke Willson's drops would last longer than one of actual highlights.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A few facts, pouring rain and some wind might account for drops and deep accuracy issues.

I don't think Russ has mechanical issues or happy feet. I think he remembers how he got hurt last year, when Okung went out. Yesterday, Okung was out, and it sped up his internal playclock.

Also, Oakland did some things very well. We don't usually see non division opponents sitting on a bootleg call, but the Raiders were, and Russ had to get rid of the ball in a hurry. They took away Baldwin for the most part. They had linebackers ready to scrape the read option.

Even as a rookie, if Russ is pressing he is over throwing, and his overthrows sail. Like yesterday.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":qii7gnu9 said:
Also, Oakland did some things very well. We don't usually see non division opponents sitting on a bootleg call, but the Raiders were, and Russ had to get rid of the ball in a hurry. They took away Baldwin for the most part. They had linebackers ready to scrape the read option.

I was really impressed with Oakland, particularly how they responded after three consecutive turnovers; that kills most teams, not least winless ones. Is Sporano a shoe-in for the job next season? I think they'd be mad not to keep him there, he's doing a pretty good job with a pretty bad bunch (a few players aside).

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2ax2o1ug said:
Scottemojo":2ax2o1ug said:

I was really impressed with Oakland, particularly how they responded after three consecutive turnovers; that kills most teams, not least winless ones. Is Sporano a shoe-in for the job next season? I think they'd be mad not to keep him there, he's doing a pretty good job with a pretty bad bunch (a few players aside).
Sparano should be, but I don't think he will be a popular choice. Raider fans for the most part yearn for Gruden.
With the team contemplating a move, and having crap facilities, I doubt they can draw a name. I think Sparano is the perfect choice, he is about fundamentals. And will come fairly cheap, which shouldn't matter, but does in Oakland.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. Russell is having a major slump, at least when judged against his own standards. Yesterday he got away with several bad decisions, one that could have easily turned into a pick 6 and cost us the game.

With the type of offense we run, with the short passes, bubble screens (of which I'm beginning to hate with a passion), short post routes, roll outs to tight ends and running backs, Russell's completion percentage needs to be in the 65% to 70% range. Yesterday, he didn't break .500. Yea, he had some drops and throw aways like all quarterbacks do. But it's undeniable that his accuracy and decision making are off, and yesterday wasn't the first game. Since the opener against the Packers, he hasn't been playing as well as he has in his first two seasons.

To be fair, we're missing some major pieces, in particular Zach Miller, who's as dependable as they come, and Max Unger, his battery mate of sorts, so it's not completely without contributing factors. But anytime you have a passing offense that's ranked at or near the bottom in the league such as we are, at least part of that responsibility has to be on the quarterback. I know Giants fans aren't cutting Eli any slack for his performance, nor should we be cutting Russell any for his. He has to step up and start playing better or else we aren't going anywhere.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm sure he is pressing and exhausted. I'm also sure he doesn't trust his protection even when they do get the job done. Let me ask you this. Your the QB back there behind A line made up of Britt, Bailey, Guilliam, some center named Lewis who has never taken a meaningful snap, and Sweezy.... Who do you trust to make the proper line calls?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
So Russ was off in this game. Now we're trading him for Mariota? LOL.
RW isn't stepping up in the pocket enough?
He has a patchwork O line and less pocket time AND switching out receivers during the season doesn't help.
People need to chill. You all should know that qb play is physical as well as mental....Foles got his collarbone broken yesterday..

RW will continue to struggle this year given that this team is oft injured on offensive line and unproven at receivers. How many bad games did Manning or Favre have before they became great? Hell, how many did they have when they WERE great?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3dwn2wgx said:
Yes I will stop since they do not count the Wilson drop last week were he had it and then go after being hit, I would not want to count a drop they do not count. Sarcasm off, open your eyes they are dropping catchable balls every game in the last 3-4 weeks. I do not care what that stat says, I care about if they drop a catchable ball. So no I will not drop it, when it come sot that stuff I go by if it is catchable.

I love how you use 'stats' when they support your arguments, but disregard them when they don't. :roll:

dutchman063

Reaction score
Scottemojo":19sm155n said:
brimsalabim":19sm155n said:
Maybe he is sick of having to get used to a new mans ass every week. We can't even get our Oline together for consecutive practices much less games. The office needs to fix this first priority this off season. If they don't I expect Russell and Lynch to both be gone by 2016.

He is missing easy passes that don't have pressure too.

Either he is hurt, or pressing. I think he is pressing.

Im going with pressing.... he's trying to do it all right now and he just cant, were just lucky he hasnt been injured badly yet

StoneCold

Reaction score
Days like this make me glad I'm not a 9'er fan. I'm sure webzone is blowing up with "Cap sucks and needs to be traded" threads.

SC

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":i17y1vy8 said:
Russ had a similar slump last year, too. I attributed it to him being beaten half to death and I suppose the same, but to a lesser extent, can be said again this year. And maybe this is why Bevell has been calling some of the crap he's been calling, too. Trying to get the ball out of his hands as fast as possible (in theory). Unsure, but the Oline isn't going to get better any time soon. Our young receivers will also take time What do we do with our slumping Russ?

I've said this before. It was unpopular then and likely the same now, but if we could work a deal that brought us Mariota, I'd deal Russ in a second.

As much as I love the guy, many of my projected concerns with him are starting to materialize. Like it or not, his stature is a problem. When he does have a pocket, he won't climb it, he wants to roll to find passing lanes, instead. Now, this may be the result of him not trusting the line, but more likely, the very reason there are so few under 6' QBs in professional football.

Don't get me wrong (Anthony etc), I love this kid and it would take a very special player, like Luck or Mariota, to make me want to say good bye to Russ Wilson. And even then, such a move would be bittersweet for my tastes.

EDIT: I do understand I have left myself wide open with the above. Take your shots, but don't disappear when Mariota proves to be better than Andrew Luck and starts tearing up the NFL. I'd bank on it. Just as I said RG3 shouldn't be taken in the 1st rd, I'm saying Mariota is as can't miss as I have seen in years and I have said this since early last year. As JSeahawk will attest.

So you want to trade a future HOF'r for a guy that will be nothing better than a backup his entire career? Got it.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Russell Wilson's body language in his post game interview was really low. He seemed like he was defeated, and I know he's taking his poor play hard.

At times he wanted to get excited but he just couldn't.

I feel like he's almost broken.

Get well soon Russ!

LymonHawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":14ptsztb said:
Russell Wilson's body language in his post game interview was really low. He seemed like he was defeated, and I know he's taking his poor play hard.

At times he wanted to get excited but he just couldn't.

I feel like he's almost broken.

Get well soon Russ!

I think RW's hurt, but not saying anything about it. Balls slipping out of his hand, missing easy targets, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if later on we hear about an injury he's been playing with.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LymonHawk":294tzk3f said:
I think RW's hurt, but not saying anything about it. Balls slipping out of his hand, missing easy targets, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if later on we hear about an injury he's been playing with.

I said this yesterday after one of his scrambles. The quick burst of his first step alluding the rush just isn't there right now.

Dude's taken so many big hits this year, I can't believe he's not hurt somehow right now........and IMO it's affecting his game..........as well as the worst O-line in football and a mediocre cast of WR's.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":21l3b1sc said:
I've said this before. It was unpopular then and likely the same now, but if we could work a deal that brought us Mariota, I'd deal Russ in a second.

So you'd deal a franchise QB for the #1 pick... and you'd give a 1st and a 6th.... for Austin Seferian-Jenkins........

:34853_doh:

m0ng0

Reaction score
He is kinda short, he needs to learn the stinkeye like all the greats have, but instead he just claps his hands and walks back to the bench.