Russ was off today

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Our offensive philosophy is absolutely hurting Russ.

It's no coincidence that Russ is at his best when the game's on the line. I don't have the stats but I'd be very surprised if we weren't top 5 in terms of rinsing the play clock before getting a play off (I think that's the technical term for the stat). I wish we'd put teams to the sword a little more, because as we've seen at the end of games that we're more than capable of it.

We've got the best QB in the NFL at keeping a play alive and gassing a defense, but we're not utilizing it.

Instead of putting the pedal down after Russ scrambles around for a first down, we mince up to the line of scrimmage, stammer out the play call, clap our hands, hit each other on the ass and then wait until 39 seconds of the play clock has expired before snapping the ball. Meanwhile, the d-line has gathered their breath and are good to go and obliterate our makeshift O-line, and the dbs are fresh to stick with our receivers.

We might have more luck sustaining drives by running a more up-tempo offense, and I'll say it again, it's no coincidence that Russ looks money towards the end of games; he could look like this a lot of the time. I really think it could help our O-line as well, (with the exception of Carp who's gassing the minute he jogs out the tunnel) who markedly improved when we upped the tempo in St. Louis.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Wouldn't shock me at all if he was hurt. They hid his shoulder injury very well last year. But no football player is ever really healthy.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
We have slow receivers therefore our line has to hold extra long for them to get open. Our OL for the most part is not that good so Russell has to scramble to buy extra time for our slow receivers to get open. Couple that with another Willson, who couldn't catch a fish if it was on his hook and we have real issues on offense.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":27ezzk6b said:
HawkWow":27ezzk6b said:
Russ had a similar slump last year, too. I attributed it to him being beaten half to death and I suppose the same, but to a lesser extent, can be said again this year. And maybe this is why Bevell has been calling some of the crap he's been calling, too. Trying to get the ball out of his hands as fast as possible (in theory). Unsure, but the Oline isn't going to get better any time soon. Our young receivers will also take time What do we do with our slumping Russ?

I've said this before. It was unpopular then and likely the same now, but if we could work a deal that brought us Mariota, I'd deal Russ in a second.

As much as I love the guy, many of my projected concerns with him are starting to materialize. Like it or not, his stature is a problem. When he does have a pocket, he won't climb it, he wants to roll to find passing lanes, instead. Now, this may be the result of him not trusting the line, but more likely, the very reason there are so few under 6' QBs in professional football.

Don't get me wrong (Anthony etc), I love this kid and it would take a very special player, like Luck or Mariota, to make me want to say good bye to Russ Wilson. And even then, such a move would be bittersweet for my tastes.

EDIT: I do understand I have left myself wide open with the above. Take your shots, but don't disappear when Mariota proves to be better than Andrew Luck and starts tearing up the NFL. I'd bank on it. Just as I said RG3 shouldn't be taken in the 1st rd, I'm saying Mariota is as can't miss as I have seen in years and I have said this since early last year. As JSeahawk will attest.

So you want to trade a future HOF'r for a guy that will be nothing better than a backup his entire career? Got it.

LMAO. . Both of your positions, at this time, reek of blatant homerism and / or a lack of knowledge. Like I said, be available for crow time.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2uq7fn3x said:
HawkWow":2uq7fn3x said:
I've said this before. It was unpopular then and likely the same now, but if we could work a deal that brought us Mariota, I'd deal Russ in a second.

So you'd deal a franchise QB for the #1 pick... and you'd give a 1st and a 6th.... for Austin Seferian-Jenkins........

:34853_doh:

Don't look at what Jenkins is doing in TB, even though, he's doing fine (all considered). you have to consider what he would do in this offense and while working with Zach Miller. He would be a monster and the perfect complement to Wilson's needs and this offense. You've not noticed a huge drop off since losing Miller ("DOH")?!

As for trading RW for the #1 pick and the rights to (the "career back up") Mariota? Yes, in a second.

Again, I am very happy with RW, but you don't pass on talents like Mariota or Luck. Time will show that, and this is all a moot point anyway as no team in the league would make such a trade, even as respected as Wilson is. RW is OUR FQB. In a couple years, Mariota will be THE FQB.

Don't kid yourselves, people. You're not smarter than the 30 GMs, scouts, etc around the league that didn't have RW on their boards. The kid is MUCH better than expected and works well under Pete, but that doesn't mean he still doesn't have a few chinks and would just go win SBs for other, lesser teams.

IIRC, Hasselbeck, you were one of those that gave me that "DOH" thing when I LOLed at the Skins trade for Griffin. You may recall (but probably conveniently not) that I stated Griffin would get hurt, end up a bust and wasn't worthy of a single 1st rd pick. How's that working out? And while we're at it, I continue to predict the same for Manziel. That also brought some "DOHs", didn't it? Just watch.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Yesterday was certainly ugly. Russ looked a bit Spazzlebecky.

It might be time to insert Norwood into the lineup in place of Kearse. Norwood seems to get open on routes other than flies and scramble drills.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkWow":294phrfc said:
As for trading RW for the #1 pick and the rights to (the "career back up") Mariota? Yes, in a second. .

I've seen a lot of crazy shizzle on this forum, but this wins.

We've waited 38 long years for a true franchise QB. A QB that is everything we would want in a QB..........hard working, dependable, football IQ off the charts, someone who makes everyone around him work harder and play better, and a beacon of society. And you want to trade him for a unproven college prospect? Take a lap!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":cdhj0isa said:
Hasselbeck":cdhj0isa said:
HawkWow":cdhj0isa said:

So you'd deal a franchise QB for the #1 pick... and you'd give a 1st and a 6th.... for Austin Seferian-Jenkins........

:34853_doh:

Don't look at what Jenkins is doing in TB, even though, he's doing fine (all considered). you have to consider what he would do in this offense and while working with Zach Miller. He would be a monster and the perfect complement to Wilson's needs and this offense. You've not noticed a huge drop off since losing Miller ("DOH")?!

As for trading RW for the #1 pick and the rights to (the "career back up") Mariota? Yes, in a second.

Again, I am very happy with RW, but you don't pass on talents like Mariota or Luck. Time will show that, and this is all a moot point anyway as no team in the league would make such a trade, even as respected as Wilson is. RW is OUR FQB. In a couple years, Mariota will be THE FQB.

Don't kid yourselves, people. You're not smarter than the 30 GMs, scouts, etc around the league that didn't have RW on their boards. The kid is MUCH better than expected and works well under Pete, but that doesn't mean he still doesn't have a few chinks and would just go win SBs for other, lesser teams.

IIRC, Hasselbeck, you were one of those that gave me that "DOH" thing when I LOLed at the Skins trade for Griffin. You may recall (but probably conveniently not) that I stated Griffin would get hurt, end up a bust and wasn't worthy of a single 1st rd pick. How's that working out? And while we're at it, I continue to predict the same for Manziel. That also brought some "DOHs", didn't it? Just watch.

You're a gigantic Husky homer.. that doesn't cloud your vision of ASJ even a little? He's a very average TE.. hence why we passed on him on two separate occasions. We miss Zach Miller because of his blocking, not his pass catching.. although even that is probably underrated. Either way.. no GM in the league is giving up a 1st round pick for ASJ.. hell, Jimmy Graham didn't fetch a #1 offer from the Saints and they probably would have listened if a team was seriously interested.

As for RG3 .. he was a fantastic player before injuries happened. That's football. But.. yay.. you projected he'd get hurt and suck.. as if this somehow redeems your two subsequent awful ideas of trading a guy that could very well be this generations Joe Montana, for a QB that plays in a gimmick offense. Congrats?

There's only two QB's in all of football I'd consider trading Russell for.. and thats Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck. Maybe Mariota is special and winds up being an incredible talent (I kind of doubt this happens, but whatever) .. I still wouldn't move him for Wilson.

Put any QB in the league behind a line that's comprised of a rookie tackle and 2nd year UDFA on his blind side, 4th string center, and a rookie converted TE at guard for a half.. and tell me how they do. Yeah Wilson was terrible yesterday, and yeah.. the past several weeks he has not been MVP caliber.. but any other QB in the league is on IR with this OL right now.

The fact we're 5-3 speaks volumes to how important Russell Wilson is. And Marcus Mariota would not do any better.. not even close.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rgsaxpk0 said:
HawkWow":rgsaxpk0 said:
As for trading RW for the #1 pick and the rights to (the "career back up") Mariota? Yes, in a second. .

We've waited 38 long years for a true franchise QB. A QB that is everything we would want in a QB..........hard working, dependable, football IQ off the charts, someone who makes everyone around him work harder and play better, and a beacon of society. And you want to trade him for a unproven college prospect? Take a lap!

See, and I see your perspective as beyond "crazy". Basically, you're saying because Wilson is the best QB we've ever had, that makes him untouchable. What if the best car you ever drove was a '72 Pinto and I offered you a new, undriven (un proven) Vette in trade? Would you be "crazy" to accept that offer?

You people are just amazing and I suppose that comes with the "38 long years" of losing you allude to. Do you believe Wilson would be 4 times better than Mariota? Because that would be the difference in pay. Mariota will see 5 mil per year, Wilson likely 20. Why is this so difficult for some of you? It's math and it's business. I won't forget similar cries here of "you want us to just let Alexander walk, LOL?" Slow learners, for sure.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":hzc8jgll said:
Our offensive philosophy is absolutely hurting Russ..

Honestly, at this point.. I couldn't even begin to tell you what our offensive philosophy is anymore.

Bevell is a train wreck. I really, really, really hope some team hires him to be HC next year.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkWow":1pvho2hw said:
Sgt. Largent":1pvho2hw said:
HawkWow":1pvho2hw said:

See, and I see your perspective as beyond "crazy". Basically, you're saying because Wilson is the best QB we've ever had, that makes him untouchable. What if the best car you ever drove was a '72 Pinto and I offered you a new, undriven (un proven) Vette in trade? Would you be "crazy" to accept that offer?

You people are just amazing and I suppose that comes with the "38 long years" of losing you allude to. Do you believe Wilson would be 4 times better than Mariota? Because that would be the difference in pay. Mariota will see 5 mil per year, Wilson likely 20. Why is this so difficult for some of you? It's math and it's business. I won't forget similar cries here of "you want us to just let Alexander walk, LOL?" Slow learners, for sure.

Except the 72 Pinto in your analogy just won the Superbowl and the team wouldn't have gotten there without him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkWow":3nm3a82v said:
Sgt. Largent":3nm3a82v said:
HawkWow":3nm3a82v said:

Did you just compare Russell to a '72 Pinto? I think you did.

Sorry, but you can list all the comparisons you want, but you don't risk losing a franchise QB like Russell with a prospect that may or may not pan out..........because if you're wrong you just set your franchise back 5-10 years, and possibly longer.

Save money on any other position on the field, but this is a QB league, don't have a franchise QB you lose.

pehawk

Reaction score
Wow has some logic to his argument. I don't agree, but, he does have a good point with the "is RW four times better?" counter.

But....

That "it" factor Wilson has isn't something you ever, ever give up on. First time I ever saw Wilson play I likened his "it" to Eli's "it" factor. The "it" intangible is too precious and rare to relinquish, under any circumstances.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":jkznmgz6 said:
Wow has some logic to his argument. I don't agree, but, he does have a good point with the "is RW four times better?" counter.

Mariota couldn't even beat Arizona at home, what makes you think he could come into the NFL and be Russell's equal?

Maybe he will be, but we don't have another 2-5 years for a rookie QB to learn everything in order to get back to where we are now. This team is built to win now.

So to say don't pay Russell and roll the dice with a rookie QB, whether he's good or not is lunacy to me. This is ESPECIALLY true if Lynch leaves. You wanna have Mariota and C-Mike in the backfield near? Good god man, we'd be 4-12 in a heartbeat. Russell's the only thing keeping this train on the tracks right now.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Basis4day":wxlmwe82 said:
HawkWow":wxlmwe82 said:
Sgt. Largent":wxlmwe82 said:
HawkWow":wxlmwe82 said:

Except the 72 Pinto in your analogy just won the Superbowl and the team wouldn't have gotten there without him.

Absolutely. No where have you seen me express anything less than awe and gratitude for this fine young man. The 72 Pinto was obviously used to make a point that just because something is the best you've ever had, does not make that something the best available.

I've said all I need to say on this subject but will say again Wilson, behind Lynch, is my favorite NFL player. Certainly I understood my opinion, though accurate many more times than not (look it up) would not be appreciated or popular with the masses here. I don't think I need to say that being popular isn't high on my wish list. I call it as I see it and have a track record to back up what I say, even though sometimes I'd prefer to NOT be right (See Harvin).

Let's just see how this plays out starting in April. Don't forget to check back.. and do know that I admit when I'm wrong, as I just did in the Lattimore thread.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkWow":3epcezmr said:
Let's just see how this plays out starting in April. Don't forget to check back.. and do know that I admit when I'm wrong, as I just did in the Lattimore thread.

Yes, we'll pick this up again during Russell's HOF acceptance speech.

hoxrox

Reaction score
RW was in a slump last year too, but it didn't look as bad as the past couple of games.

Coaches need to take some of the pressure off of him, and continue to lean on the run game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thanks for the support, Pe. This wouldn't be a "crazy" topic anywhere outside of this forum, and therein the problem lies...I am talking to Seahawk fans, not football fans. I have to keep that in mind going forward.

I think my favorite post so far was the guy or gal that asked: "So, you'd trade a future HOF QB for an unproven career back up". That was hilarious.

Unsure by a long stretch if RW ever sees Canton, but I do know Peyton Manning will. Didn't the Colt's (essentially) just trade arguably the best QB in history for an "unproven" rookie? How's that working out for them? How many Colt's fans, or people that know QBs, are saying, "man, what a stupid move that was"?

BTW, regardless of what team Wilson spends his career with, and I believe it will be with us, I do hope he makes it to Canton one day. And to those that come up with inane commentary like "Mariota couldn't beat" so and so, do know you're only exposing your lack of knowledge about both game and individual.

It could easily be said Mariota is a bigger, faster version of RW. The ONLY knock on MM is he may lack the necessary leadership skills to be successful in the NFL. But what does that really mean? This is a new league and players may very well support a soft-spoken leader as much, or more, than a rah rah "why not us"? kind of guy, as evidenced by various reports just a couple weeks ago.

But I will not speak ill of Wilson. I will point out why I feel he is inferior to a couple other QBs...but just a couple and again, this Mariota scenario I proposed was just something I'd personally wish for. I wasn't forcing it down anyone's throats and you are obviously all free to have your own wishes, which unlike some of you, I will continue to respect.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":n9k6scjj said:
A few facts, pouring rain and some wind might account for drops and deep accuracy issues.

I don't think Russ has mechanical issues or happy feet. I think he remembers how he got hurt last year, when Okung went out. Yesterday, Okung was out, and it sped up his internal playclock.

Also, Oakland did some things very well. We don't usually see non division opponents sitting on a bootleg call, but the Raiders were, and Russ had to get rid of the ball in a hurry. They took away Baldwin for the most part. They had linebackers ready to scrape the read option.

Even as a rookie, if Russ is pressing he is over throwing, and his overthrows sail. Like yesterday.

I know you are trying to find reasons for Wilson's bad game, but sometimes bad games just happen. He wasn't just overthrowing receivers, he was overthrowing them by a body length at times, and he had some underthrown passes too. He had some really bad passes while under zero pressure with totally relaxed body language. He also missed a lot of throws in the previous two games as well. I wouldn't say he looked "amped up" either, in fact he almost looked kinda sleepy.

One observation I had when watching the game again was the Wilson's bad throws all came in bunches. There was a point in the game where Wilson had four off-the-mark passes on four straight pass attempts, IIRC. Just kind of felt like a weird game where he didn't have it on a few drives but did have it on others.

Wilson had been kind of waivering in the previous two games with his accuracy already, maybe something is wrong with him in the post-Harvin offense (lack of practice) and it took some mildly arduous conditions to serve as fertile ground to make a random bad game look so awful.

Baldwin had five catches on six targets, it was as if Wilson saved his best throws for Baldwin. I saw another play where Wilson panicked and pulled down to scramble while Baldwin was running wide open down the sideline after two Raiders corners goofed up on an assignment switch. That said, I thought Wilson did a pretty good job finding his open receivers this time, which made the distance accuracy so frustrating.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can call it pressing, remember Hass used to do that on occasion and tried to do to much, with all the losses due to injury forcing things may be happening, or he could be trying to aim the ball at times rather than let it fly. With all the injuries he may be also working a lot more hours with the guys to try to help them get up to speed and just not getting the time to get his body ready like he normally would. He puts things on his shoulders and is always trying to get things right, I could see him pushing himself to an extreme even to his detriment on game days.