Russell Wilson 2016 Analysis from Pre-Snap Reads

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18gysplj said:
He SHOULDN'T have anything to prove to this fanbase. Unfortunately, plenty of people refuse to accept Russ and how damn good he is.
:2thumbs: Can I internet hug you?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sdog1981":1nfhpsvg said:
The David Carr-ifacation of Russ continues. Tom Cable MUST be fired, 12 draft picks wasted by this bozo along with countless free agents. Now he is going to have to move Ifedi back to tackle where he should have been playing last season. Look at the draft history of this team with Cable involved 80% of the time he picks linemen the very next linemen drafted is significantly better.

Matt Schaub immediately improved the Texans after Carr left, without improving the OL. David Carr played on other teams and took his sack rate with him.

And I agree with Jville...you have a bad habit of turning threads into callings for firings.

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3j3qrypb said:
And I agree with Jville...you have a bad habit of turning threads into callings for firings.

This is true and I have attempted to avoid posting comments like that. I am aware of my negative feelings and thoughts.

This particular topic started with comments about pass protection so I felt it was relevant to bring up Cable.

The negative Wilson comments are crazy and I never subscribed to that train of thought. I do worry about the long-term impact of Russ not trusting his pass pro.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
And I still feel that last year was a huge developmental year for Russ in that he realized his escapability wasn't there due to his injuries and was forced more to find the pocket and/or develop a quicker release. I really think that even though it was a tough year, it made him a more complete quarterback and that will pay off in the future.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They just flat out need to get that consistent running game back. It changes the entire offense. Add a healthy Russ and the threat of him running to an already pretty solid WR corps etc. and this team can get back to the Super Bowl. Also, eating up more time of possession is incredibly important this upcoming season. Need to keep the D on the sidelines a little more. The time of possession for opponents was ridiculous last year. Even in some of their victories (see Buffalo)

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
^^ Totally agree about TOP. It KILLS defenses. Yet, even with that, our D was still one of the best in the league. If we can change TOP with a consistent running game-HELLO SB.

Seymour

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with much of the article assessment. That is the main reason all along I've tried to tell the naysayers that Wilson will be back in strong 2017 (need better oline support too though!) . Yes, I believe the weight was part of his mobility issue, but in his defense that too could well be a byproduct of injury.

Jville

Reaction score
I thought the article was a useful reminder that football is a team sport. Stats attributed to an individual or position are in fact also a reflection of the team as a whole. Stats don't quite provide the nice tidy dissections many fans thirst for. Stats need context.

A word about trust. Trust is a two way street. By way of example, a receiver's ability to trust a quarterback is every bit as important as the quarterback's ability to trust a receiver. Those trust relationships exist throughout a team. The article also points out that no one is flawless. And although not specifically addressed, most of us are cognizant that disruptive defenses work at challenging mutual trust, confidence and other offensive relationships. It's what they do.

I was unaware of the "Pre-Snap Reads". It provided a fresh perspective for me. The linked article presented an interesting insight into it's author perspective. Who in turn, presented context that addressed the pluses and minuses of it's 2016 subject.

Much thanks to the OP for posting the linked article ..... :2thumbs: ...... it provides yet another example of why it pays to check in with the community at seahawks.net

brimsalabim

Reaction score
And we addressed the "travesty " by bringing in a failure. Expect more injuries.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pick any offense in the NFL and assign them major injuries to QB1, RB1, RB2, WR2, and a TE1 coming off injury. You will see some rough performances as the NFL salary cap prevents teams from being deep enough to survive that many injuries.

The frustrating part about being a fan is lack of control and so I don't entirely fault those who want to throw blame around for something that's fundamentally out of anybody's control. However, consider that the most impactful injury last season was the one to Earl Thomas. There simply isn't a game plan or personnel strategy out there that removes the risk of injury. Sometimes things just don't go your way but the way to keep enjoying the process as a fan is to maintain realistic expectations about the impact of luck.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet they still went 10-5-1 and won a playoff game. Pretty darn good coaching by Pete considering what he had to work with.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The Seahawks OL was one of the youngest in the league last year. They should get better just by progression and growth next year, although it's super trendy here to just bash the hell out of them and wallow in the misery. Yes, the FO gambled on young talent producing in many cases their first year. Yes it was a bad gamble with no real backup plan. But it doesn't mean they will be miserable next year, although there will be a learning curve (again) as they add new players.

Ifedi is moving back to his natural and college position of Tackle. He's too upright in his stance to be an interior lineman, but Tackles are more upright in their stance naturally, and he has the athleticism to man the edge. We'll see a learning curve again as he adjusts to edge talent in the NFL, but it should be an upgrade from Gilliam.

Joekel can be league average, which is really all we need. League average isn't good enough for a guy drafted 2nd overall, but with less pressure maybe he can be there. Also, Jacksonville isn't known for developing OL talent of any kind. Any OL that has produced there has been a veteran FA pickup.

We can expect Britt to be better in his 2nd year at Center. All we really need is a competent RG and to see progression or an upgrade at LG. Problem is, we're looking at a new RT, new RG, possibly a new LG, and a new LT. Yeesh.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
AgentDib":2vx3f8se said:
Pick any offense in the NFL and assign them major injuries to QB1, RB1, RB2, WR2, and a TE1 coming off injury. You will see some rough performances as the NFL salary cap prevents teams from being deep enough to survive that many injuries.

The frustrating part about being a fan is lack of control and so I don't entirely fault those who want to throw blame around for something that's fundamentally out of anybody's control. However, consider that the most impactful injury last season was the one to Earl Thomas. There simply isn't a game plan or personnel strategy out there that removes the risk of injury. Sometimes things just don't go your way but the way to keep enjoying the process as a fan is to maintain realistic expectations about the impact of luck.
So fix the offensive line so that everyone who plays behind it doesn't get injured!!!!

Jville

Reaction score
Next up ....... lots of screaming and yelling and finger pointing and false accusations by those who fail to cope with their own shortfalls in understanding draft weekend events and the seahawk staff in general.

The tantrums thrown this draft weekend should be epic.

Fortunately, there will be quality articles and presentations written to help clear the air.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":1d13ivk3 said:
Next up ....... lots of screaming and yelling and finger pointing and false accusations by those who fail to cope with their own shortfalls in understanding draft weekend events and the seahawk staff in general.

Fortunately, there will be quality articles and presentations written to help clear the air.

Draft day has been pretty tame the last few years.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I enjoy all the whining and moaning from people when the Hawks don't pick who THEY want. So entertaining.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Jville":2jxmu2vf said:

In case the Seahawks don't pick an offensive lineman with each of their first three picks, a separate forum should be created for those who are unhappy about it. Would save the rest of us a lot of trouble.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":3kji9rk4 said:

You are right. I thought .net would understand that the team trades down when they pick late. But I was wrong.