Russell Wilson and endorsements

TestMo1337

Reaction score
You also ask people to "rip it apart."

Look at all the successful teams that invested in the right QBs, Colts (Manning), Patriots (Brady), Saints (Brees), Packers (Rodgers), and Steelers (Roethlisberger)... Look at the teams that didn't...

Eagles, Ravens?, Raiders, Rams, 49ers pre-Harbarugh, Cardinals, etc.

SDHawk

Reaction score
IIRC, one of his life goals was to win 4 Super Bowls.

Don't know if there was anything on that list about "getting PAID".

Either way, Wilson deserves it all.

OP
OP
KARAVARUS

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
You can rip it apart without getting personal. Calling people naive and saying their ideas are laughable is not a great way to get your points across.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
sammyc521":14rdzmye said:
You also ask people to "rip it apart."

Look at all the successful teams that invested in the right QBs, Colts (Manning), Patriots (Brady), Saints (Brees), Packers (Rodgers), and Steelers (Roethlisberger)... Look at the teams that didn't...

Eagles, Ravens?, Raiders, Rams, 49ers pre-Harbarugh, Cardinals, etc.

Ravens paid Flacco. So did Atlanta paying Ryan.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
You are correct. the ? was to imply that it may have not been the correct move. I don't think Flacco's payday is what is making them the 6-6 6th seed they are but it won't help. Flacco could be like Vick if he can't take over a game like all highly paid QBs are expected to do.

Outside of Ryan's poor playoff record, its hard to say that the Falcons are losing only because of his play. I think they just got old.

Shows you how impressive the Patriots are to continually make the playoffs with the only three constants; Brady, Kraft and Belichick.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
If Russell signs a contract without being franchised, I'll call that a great deal for the Hawks.

He needs a stud back and o-line to make him most effective.
If we lock him up for less than top 3 cash at the time of signing,
it's because he's thinking of the team first. That's just the economics of football.

We could be on the verge of a decade of dominance! Russell is the center piece.
Keep him by any means necessary......

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Wilson may love it here and he's a nice guy and all, but no way in hell he takes a 25% cut in pay out of loyalty to the Seahawks. 10% maybe, but even that is too high.

And 12 core players making top $$$ on one team? More like half of that.

Wilson
Thomas
Chancellor
Okung
Tate
Bennett

Those six right there would easily take up 60% of our cap room. Throw in a few mid-level contracts for role players like Baldwin, Farwell, etc. and the money quickly gets pretty tight.

NinjaHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1cut7lzw said:
NinjaHawk":1cut7lzw said:
The angle that fans need to remember when they hope for a player to give their team a "hometown discount", is that is doesn't just affect them. The NFLPA and everyone who plays their position across the league would be hurt by that kind of move, that's why it doesn't happen very often and to a minor extent.

Let's say Russell gets an estimated market value of 20 million/year, but takes 15 million/year just because. That is going to affect the negotiations of every starting quarterback over the next couple years and the "going rate" will come down. It's just not a good move. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have all of our star players sign for the league minimum out of love and loyalty, but we need to be realistic. Russell is going to get PAID.

Seriously though, what is the going rate for a 25 year old QB phenom who just came off of a Superbowl win + MVP award??

...and we are supposed to feel sorry for NFL Quarterbacks "only" getting $15 million a year? Just because Paul Allen has "deep pockets" doesn't mean that Russell asking for $22 million won't slam us into "cap hell" and we lose three key players. Personally, I see Russell having an open discussion with Pete and John regarding his salary and how they can keep as much of the team together as possible. Do we really want to duplicate the Ravens?

Where did I say anything about feeling bad for anyone? I'm just stating the reality of the situation. And having to pay an elite quarterback is a problem that I would GLADLY have, it beats the alternative.

Second, why would you think that Pete and John would even want to pay Russell less than market value? They rewarded Max Unger with a contract above where he was expected to be paid, they gave Kam a contract above where he was expected to be paid, if anything they've shown that they are willing to go over the top to take care of a guy who they deem has earned it. When it's Russell's turn, I think he's going to be paid like the superstar he is.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Second, why would you think that Pete and John would even want to pay Russell less than market value? They rewarded Max Unger with a contract above where he was expected to be paid, they gave Kam a contract above where he was expected to be paid...

Because, now their "back is against the wall"...there is no more money available below the cap ceiling if they are to pay the rest of the players whose contracts are up this year. I'm simply saying that I think Russell will be understanding of the issues.

irocdave

Reaction score
Anyone suggesting Wilson will take a discounted contract is off base. Take the homer glasses off. Another poster is being wripped for suggestion "ignorance " in this proposed suggestion and he shouldn't be. The thing about contracts is players get paid for their previous performance under there previous contract, not what they are going to do. Shawn Alexander was a prime example as are most FA signings. The NFL network snuffed out discussing this several years ago but that is exactly how players view their new contracts. Factor in what Russ has done for a pittance? NFW he takes less and he shouldn't. It's one thing to stand on the soap box and claim RW is the best QB in the league knowing full well that he is making less than any back up QB. The real question is are you willing to put 15 - 20% of the teams payroll per year in to RW? That's why Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are worth what they are paid. They without a doubt make players around them better. I think RW is worth top 10 money, but he isn't worth top 5 money.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson has already given his discount in the first or will have in his first three years. As a rookie starter thru his 3rd year I think and correct me if I am wrong his contract is ranked based on his draft position not his performance. Now having said that and being drafted by the Seahawks, a team that was the one that did take a chance on the too short QB I am sure he will work with them. They have given their faith and trust to him and have brought in weapons now and for the future to support him. They have a system they molded for his specific talents. Looking around the league if you are him he has to look at what teams are going to have a OC that will adapt for him rather then ask him to fit into it. Kelly in Philly is one, I can see Reid in KC since he said they wanted him also up front.

After that we just have to look around to teams like the Jets and Minnesota that has a bad system for QB's that have mobile abilities but don't adapt to the strengths of their QB. The Jags are another that understand Russells strengths.

How many players change teams to dissapear or fall off due to systems that don't feature their strengths. I hope Wilson or more his agents understand this. Would Wilson play for 18 million on a team he can use his stengths and abilities on and support him with players and trust, or a team that pays him say 20 million that is strengent about the offense such as the Jets or Chargers who got rid of Brees because of his height basically.

His record thru this year alone and winning playoff games has set his value to a point, if we go to the Super Bowl and then win it in his second year how are you as a agent going to say were not going to see what the market will bear and give the Seahawks a chance to counter. The Seahawks if they are smart will jump on his negotiations before he even has a chance to see the market.

OP
OP
KARAVARUS

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I am naive, off base, and laughable, but I see Wilson getting a deal done at the end of next year, shortly after he's eligible to be talked to, long before he's a free agent. I feel like we'll get him in the 15-17 million per season range. The only thing that holds this up for me is what funds are available at the end of next season. If we don't have the money to negotiate, and we wait until the market gets a crack, we'll end up paying more. That's just my opinion.

sam1313

Reaction score
I agree that Russell takes a discount. Call me naive if you want, but Russell is one of the smartest players on this team.

Perhaps most importantly, I think that Russell will see the value of giving the team a discount. His endorsements will, once again, shoot through the roof. And, in the grand scheme of things, he has the ability to make a LOT more money if the team continues to excel than he would getting another 2-6 million a year in salary.

QBs who refuse to give their team a break (Joe Flacco) may not truly believe in the team's ability to repeat their championship performance. Hence might as well get paid, because you won't get the same endorsements in the future as yo would on a Superbowl team….

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I agree that Russell is one of the smartest players on the team. And as one of the smartest players on the team, he knows that an NFL career can be ended in the blink of an eye, that the earning period of a pro football career is far shorter than that of a standard profession, and that as such you need to capitalize when you can because there aren't a ton of chances to do so.

Giving a discount is something players sometimes do late in their careers when they've already banked a ton of money, have handled it well, and money is no longer a big concern for them. It's sure not something a player does when he's been working at a huge discount already and has never gotten the big payday.

stack600

Reaction score
My wife say's with that face Dangeruss, can sell anything...it will be interesting the way the FO pieces the money together..Said part is I want to pay em all....

daketah

Reaction score
If (when) the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, Russell will get endorsements that surpass his peer's (Luck, Griffin, et al) salaries. This could affect his thinking regarding the value of winning a Super Bowl versus the value of a big contract that hamstrings the team's budget.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
He will get paid top 5 QB money.. There is no reason for him to give us a discount.

BWRyan

Reaction score
GoldenTater81":1aigixjk said:
He will get paid top 5 QB money.. There is no reason for him to give us a discount.

Exactly how I feel. Pay the dude, he's earning it.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IMO - I think the Seahawks will want to give RW a LONG (8-10 years), incentive based contract with a lot of back loading of the $'s. I see contract length and back loaded $'s is where RW will want to give a discount to stay a Seahawk.