Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Wilson isn't committed? You mean the guy that miss a few days of OTA, voluntary at that, and did you know he also went to Jacksonville, Florida, yeah home to Cliff Avril, who also lost an important person in his life.

The lowest paid QB for the last 3 years, while backups were making more money than him, heck even 1st round draft pick QBs, even worse when punters or kickers or even long snappers were making more money than him, and he outperform most at their contracts and he's not committed?

This fan-base have gotten sour, I think I need to go back to being a lurker

Anthony!

Reaction score
the ditch":9gcjjx1r said:
Hawkfan77":9gcjjx1r said:
the ditch":9gcjjx1r said:
Right on, I stand corrected. I still believe though that if you want to be the highest paid player on the team then you need to be the most committed player on the team, the sooner the contract issue gets resolved the better I suppose.
How is supporting a new team member off the field not being committed to the team? The bond that Russell and Jimmy are creating right now off the field is better than anything a two hour non-practice will do.

Wilson went as the representative of the team, that's how important it was. For you to suggest he's not committed is beyond ridiculous.

You seem to love to throw around hyperbole and absolute rule that you're correct, so I'm not even sure why I'm engaging you but you could definitely argue that being around the facility and all the other players for the week is better for the team then going to the funeral. He also could have flown back after the funeral on Tuesday and been there on Wednesday as well which would have been the best of both worlds. Just because you say something is correct doesn't make it so.

Dude you are really not looking good with this stance.

The lowest paid starting QB in the league, who is the first one in and out of the facility, who organizes, and pays for off season team workouts, went to 2 funerals to support 2 of his teammates, missed a few OTAs, and will still be there tomorrow and you are trying to turn it into a negative. Dude you are taking hating to a whole new level and it is pathetic.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This thread is jumping the shark. Wilson is in contract talks and it is questionable if frustration is building so not showing up to OTA's (voluntary or not) should raise an eyebrow. If it doesn't then maybe you should be looking at your own fandom because you might be putting the fan back in fanatic.

As for what Wilson has been paid his first three years. That's all fine and good but the Seahawks were the first team to draft him so we are paying more than any other team would have had we not selected him with the 75th pick. The Seahawks don't set the rookie pay scale so they have done everything in good faith. If you want to blame someone for his pay you can blame his family for not being tall enough but he went in the draft were he did because of his height. The Seahawks were just the team to give him a chance and not without risk.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RichNhansom":29jdvq20 said:
This thread is jumping the shark. Wilson is in contract talks and it is questionable if frustration is building so not showing up to OTA's (voluntary or not) should raise an eyebrow. If it doesn't then maybe you should be looking at your own fandom because you might be putting the fan back in fanatic.

As for what Wilson has been paid his first three years. That's all fine and good but the Seahawks were the first team to draft him so we are paying more than any other team would have had we not selected him with the 75th pick. The Seahawks don't set the rookie pay scale so they have done everything in good faith. If you want to blame someone for his pay you can blame his family for not being tall enough but he went in the draft were he did because of his height. The Seahawks were just the team to give him a chance and not without risk.

:pukeface:

BadgerVid

Reaction score
seedhawk":bnypllvy said:
BadgerVid":bnypllvy said:
Ad Hawk":bnypllvy said:
MizzouHawkGal":bnypllvy said:
It's quite simple you have some idiots thinking you can just draft a Russell Wilson any old time. Another group of idiots thinking any clipboard Jesus type (Flynn, Whitehurst or Joe Montana at 65 would due given it's all about Lynch and nobody else).

Then the real ignorance starts. Pretty simple right?

This is what some posters suggest others think, but I doubt anyone here actually feels this way.

Since no deal has been made between RW and the Hawks in his rookie contract, there is speculation as to why it hasn't happened. RW is right to be asking for a lot. The JS is going to get the best deal he can. The options, as I see them having been presented:

1. Sign RW at all costs or we lose our SB chances after this next year. A franchise QB only comes around every so often, and we'll never duplicate him, or replace his worth in games won or intangibles. Make him the highest paid QB in history since he won't be after the next QB gets a contract. The rest of the team is much less important to future success. Plus, not giving him the money is a sign of disrespect.

2. Sign RW to a deal that shows his worth. It can be creatively structured, but the FO will need to open their wallet. May make him highest in history in some area. He's earned it, though may not have reached elite status or his ceiling yet. We may lose Wagner or others who are valuable, but the QB is the place to put the money.

3. Offer RW a contract that is somewhat team-friendly, keeps the team in both the long and short term out of cap trouble, but allows the team to maintain it's nucleus of strong players, especially on Defense. If RW wants to win, he'll help make the contract doable for the whole team. Hopefully we can find a stop-gap QB if RW walks. He really can't be replaced, but that's life in the NFL with the cap.

4. If RW wants a contract to make him the highest paid QB, but his stats aren't the "best ever" (even if they're some of the best for first 3 years in league), then we'll keep him on his rookie contract this year, and he can test FA next year. We may franchise him for more than one year, but not at the expense of keeping the rest of the team. Defense wins championships. We're better off keeping the rest of the team, and settling for a lesser QB until we can find another diamond like Russ.

regarding #1 and #2, I'd love to sign Russ to a top-flight offer. I think he's worth it, and I believe the team is much better with him leading it. The question is whether we have the cap-space to do it after signing all the others. If we don't, then what? This is where I'll wait and see how the FO gets it done. I believe we'll sign him. I think it will be creatively done. It will be for a LOT of money. But it must accommodate a great team around him. Tough decisions are ahead.

Go Hawks!

I have a question that relates to your last paragraph. Does anyone know whether signing him to an extension after June 1 would delay the first signing bonus amortization year until the '16 season while still paying it upon signing? If so, that would strike me as a way to avoid any additional cap hit at all in '15 and (with a large SB and relatively low '16 & '17 salaries but not low enough to completely eat up the value of the SB) still structure a contract that would constitute a "top flight offer"...

Just a thought.

Rational logical posts are not treated well here! :p

Seems to have encouraged at least 2 people to think...I'm not used to treatment much better than that.

I actually forgot to register for the popularity contest. I really was/am looking for an answer, but encouraging thought works too as an alternate outcome.

I'm a RW fan...I was a 'Hawks fan for about 15 years before I was an RW fan (since I moved to the PNW) and a Wilson fan before he was a 'Hawk (see screen name) so I would really like a resolution that keeps him a 'Hawk.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
the ditch":3634ts1v said:
Hawkfan77":3634ts1v said:
the ditch":3634ts1v said:
Right on, I stand corrected. I still believe though that if you want to be the highest paid player on the team then you need to be the most committed player on the team, the sooner the contract issue gets resolved the better I suppose.
How is supporting a new team member off the field not being committed to the team? The bond that Russell and Jimmy are creating right now off the field is better than anything a two hour non-practice will do.

Wilson went as the representative of the team, that's how important it was. For you to suggest he's not committed is beyond ridiculous.

You seem to love to throw around hyperbole and absolute rule that you're correct, so I'm not even sure why I'm engaging you but you could definitely argue that being around the facility and all the other players for the week is better for the team then going to the funeral. He also could have flown back after the funeral on Tuesday and been there on Wednesday as well which would have been the best of both worlds. Just because you say something is correct doesn't make it so.
Oh so he should have skipped the funeral for Avril's father? Got ya, because OTAs are more important than being there for your teammates I guess.

Wilson flew to be with Graham and attend the funeral with him then flew to Jacksonville to be with Avril and go to Avril's father's funeral. You should look this stuff up before you want to try and act like Wilson is ditching out on OTAs for the heck of it.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3co7iwjn said:
He didn't "not show up" to OTAs. He went as a representative of the Seahawks to TWO FUNERALS. Two of his teammates lost someone very close to them and Russell has been through that before and he wanted to be there for his teammates. Since when are two OTAs worth more than that?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
This link was posted on another Wilson topic but it shows that player's care about what they deemed as a team that actually respect them. Cadillac Williams didn't receive any type of support for when his mom died of cancer. Being an NFL team that supports cancer awareness, yet when one of your own player's mother dies, you didn't even send anyone to show support from the FO. Guess who showed up to his mom's funeral, Greg Hardy, yup the one with a domestic violence incident this year. What does that tell you about the Panther's front office? It took a week before the Owner of the Panther's reached out to Williams.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12372 ... 2014-death

Seeing as Wilson has been through it before, what better person than to send him to support Graham and Avril in their time of needs. The Seahawks say they are a family, and it shows. But let's go ahead and say player's don't need support from their teammates because they should be at OTAs, then you end up having a player that don't feel like their team is in support of them.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":30lcfnp9 said:
Russell Wilson just scratched his right arm. What does it mean? :shock:

The Mosquito never saw it coming. :twisted: :twisted:

ctrcat

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":31yrykno said:
This link was posted on another Wilson topic but it shows that player's care about what they deemed as a team that actually respect them. Cadillac Williams didn't receive any type of support for when his mom died of cancer. Being an NFL team that supports cancer awareness, yet when one of your own player's mother dies, you didn't even send anyone to show support from the FO. Guess who showed up to his mom's funeral, Greg Hardy, yup the one with a domestic violence incident this year. What does that tell you about the Panther's front office? It took a week before the Owner of the Panther's reached out to Williams.

Seeing as Wilson has been through it before, what better person than to send him to support Graham and Avril in their time of needs. The Seahawks say they are a family, and it shows. But let's go ahead and say player's don't need support from their teammates because they should be at OTAs, then you end up having a player that don't feel like their team is in support of them.

Hardy happens to be from Memphis, near the funeral and where DeAngelo Williams played college ball. I certainly don't know what happened nor can I speak to how DeAngelo Williams felt, which was obviously not good, but there are two sides to every story. Steve Smith was spitting mad and always will be after being cut but even he responded that the Panthers couldn't have been more supportive after his grandfather's death.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ctrcat":352goxyt said:
theincrediblesok":352goxyt said:

Hardy happens to be from Memphis, near the funeral and where DeAngelo Williams played college ball. I certainly don't know what happened nor can I speak to how DeAngelo Williams felt, which was obviously not good, but there are two sides to every story. Steve Smith was spitting mad and always will be after being cut but even he responded that the Panthers couldn't have been more supportive after his grandfather's death.

Container Cat came out the box car again!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
We're about to have a domino fall.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPN730/status/605359217743142912[/tweet]

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1r5zlh4i said:

It will be interesting to see what he gets. Should the FO have been more aggressive getting Wilson's contract done before this?

McGruff

Reaction score
Rumors 5 years, 100 million. Guarantees unknown.

It's right in the ball park and likely will come down to the guarantees.

bandiger

Reaction score
Hawkfish":ni2dhv9x said:
Hasselbeck":ni2dhv9x said:

It will be interesting to see what he gets. Should the FO have been more aggressive getting Wilson's contract done before this?

Yes because now its gonna be a race between Luck and Wilson for the mega deal.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
bandiger":4crsd2cr said:
Hawkfish":4crsd2cr said:
Hasselbeck":4crsd2cr said:

Eh, I think all three QBs deals will be relatively close to each other, but whoever gets the last deal done will probably have a few more pennies to rub together.

Tical21

Reaction score
All right! One more team that will now be too financially strapped to win it all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1eylmx1d said:
bandiger":1eylmx1d said:
Hawkfish":1eylmx1d said:
Hasselbeck":1eylmx1d said:

Eh, I think all three QBs deals will be relatively close to each other, but whoever gets the last deal done will probably have a few more pennies to rub together.

It should help move the Wilson deal along.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Tical21":2xl2t0af said:
All right! One more team that will now be too financially strapped to win it all.

Will or was? This is the same team paying DE Charles Johnson 20 million per.