Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

aawolf

Reaction score
bandiger":3izpiuek said:
Well Tannehill got his extension, 96 million for six years with 45 million guaranteed.
Russell Wilson is no Ryan Tannehill.... :roll:

bandiger

Reaction score
aawolf":1lira7i3 said:
bandiger":1lira7i3 said:
Well Tannehill got his extension, 96 million for six years with 45 million guaranteed.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/600408621738905600[/tweet]

Anthony!

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":9l0c5xdo said:
http://www.businessinsider.com/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-contract-2015-5#ixzz3aX0Ajv3J

More speculation with no facts.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1to6675s said:
Spin Doctor":1to6675s said:
http://www.businessinsider.com/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-contract-2015-5#ixzz3aX0Ajv3J

More speculation with no facts.

Which means it fits in with a lot of the Wilson off season threads quite nicely considering how much they are filled with speculation/opinions that bear no facts.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago
The extension #Dolphins gave QB Ryan Tannehill is 4 years for $77M, per source ($19.25M per year). $45M in guarantees, $25M fully guaranteed

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikehawks":2x5zx9u1 said:
Before you give 20 million dollars a year to a quarterback that throws an interception to lose the Superbowl, look at Tom Brady's contract first. By the way, Brady has won four Superbowls...

Year---- Base Salary ---- Signing Bonus---- Cap Hit ---- Dead Cap
2015---- $8,000,000---- $6,000,000---- $14,000,000 -- $18,000,000
2016 --- $9,000,000 ----$6,000,000---- $15,000,000-- $12,000,000
2017--- $10,000,000 ---$6,000,000--- $16,000,000-- $6,000,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england- ... tom-brady/

Sign up Wilson for 10-12 million dollars a year, if not next man up. The real strength of the Seahawks is the defense and Marshawn Lynch, not Russel Wilson. Wilson's fair value would be something more like Alex Smith's contract.

2014: $1 million
2015: $11.9 million
2016: $14.1 million
2017: $10.2 million (+ $2 million roster bonus)
2018: $14.5 million (+ $2 million roster bonus)

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/9/2/ ... ity-chiefs

Compare Alex Smith's stats, than compare Russell Wilson's stats.. Virtually the same. Why over pay?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... backRating

Ah yes, the classic "Tom Brady took less money and he has 4 rings!" argument..

Let's just conveniently overlook the fact Tom Brady, at the time he agreed to this deal, was 37 years old and stuck on 3 championships. He redid his deal so the Pats could add more players to go get his 4th ring that we would wind up serving him on a silver platter. If you want to dive deeper into Tom Brady being so generous giving away money, from 2010-2013 Brady earned nearly $70M from the Patriots. BUT OMG HE TOOK A DISCOUNT ON THE NEXT DEAL!!!

Russell Wilson is 11 years younger than Brady. No athlete in the world is taking a steep discount on their first ever crack at free agency. The real world would like to welcome you back soon.

And the comparison to Alex Smith is so hilariously bad it's really not worth diving into. As is the notion we can just ride Marshawn Lynch to all sorts of success since the man is coming up on age 30 and has the back of an 80 year old man.. totally seems logical to let Wilson go and just put it all on Lynch to never age or slow down due to the insane amount of wear and tear he's taken over all the years.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
aawolf":3czvttru said:
bandiger":3czvttru said:

No but this sets the baseline on the new deal. Which interestingly enough falls right into kearly's post

Tical21

Reaction score
The Tannehill deal was pretty bad for the Seahawks.

I like Tannehill a lot, actually I really wanted the Hawks to take him. I don't think he's going to live up to the contract, however, and think the Dolphins will regret this decision, bringing up the question again about the logic of paying these QB's so much money. He's still young though, so I find this to be better than the Romo/Alex Smith deals out there.

I do find it a bit funny that SO MANY Seahawks fans were convinced that Russell would take a huge discount because he's such a nice guy. I wonder how many are feeling disillusioned with #3 right about now. Not that I hold it against him.....much. I think he should take a bit of a lesser deal for quite a few reasons but was quite certain he wasn't about to do anything like it.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I really think much of this is crazy talk. Willson should get paid. He has been the most undervalued QB in three years, this will make it 4 if there is no deal done.

Many make it like good to great QB's are a commodity, That is so far from the truth. Wilson has a unique skill set that fits so well with the Hawks program. Because of Wilson they can go cheaply on the o-line and other areas.

Also this is a team that has shown to reward those who have outplayed their contract and if you do this to Wilson you are setting a precedence that will be hard to go back from.

I think the Hawks and Wilson will come to an agreement and he will be one of the highest paid QB ever... for now. Best get him done before Luck and a few other sign deals or it will just get more expensive.

He deserve 25mil a year and in a year aor two it will be a bargain. That is just the way it goes.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Tical21":t5jlh7b6 said:
I do find it a bit funny that SO MANY Seahawks fans were convinced that Russell would take a huge discount because he's such a nice guy. I wonder how many are feeling disillusioned with #3 right about now. Not that I hold it against him.....much. I think he should take a bit of a lesser deal for quite a few reasons but was quite certain he wasn't about to do anything like it.

Will someone bake this guy a bunch of cookies? He really does deserve them for being SO MUCH smarter than SO MANY fans out there.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Personally, I think we should hand him a Rodgers deal now while it's still a bargain. a 5/$110m extension will be a bargain in a few years. Tannehill just signed a 6/$96m deal, which is an AAV of $16m. That $16m is good for 14TH HIGHEST PAID QB IN THE LEAGUE ON AAV. Here is the full list.

Aaron Rodgers $22,000,000
Ben Roethlisberger $21,850,000
Matt Ryan $20,750,000
Joe Flacco $20,100,000
Drew Brees $20,000,000
Peyton Manning $19,200,000
Colin Kaepernick $19,000,000
Jay Cutler $18,100,000
Tony Romo $18,000,000
Matt Stafford $17,666,667
Alex Smith $17,000,000
Carson Palmer $16,500,000
Eli Manning $16,250,000
Andy Dalton $16,000,000

There are also a few guys who will soon pass this mark in the next 1-2 years in Rivers, Luck, Newton. So $16m per is going to be a below average QB soon. As I said, sign the deal now and be thankful when the Colts do something dumb like give Luck $30m/yr.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1us1lqy3 said:
Kearly, great analysis.

I'm not concerned that RW is going to leave. However, I would like him to sign a contract before the Colts give Andrew Luck one of the planets.

They gave Erin Wroggers Orion's Belt...is there anything left??? :stirthepot:

McGruff

Reaction score
If Tannehill got almost $20 million (which is what his extension REALLY is), then Russ should get $25 million easy. A 4 year extension for about $100 million with $60 million guaranteed sounds about right to me.

mikehawks

Reaction score
It is very possible that Russell Wilson will be gone in 2016. It's very obvious that he wants to break the bank, so I'm almost positive he will be gone in 2016. I have been wrong before, but this one looks obvious. I think the front office would give him 10-12 million a year, but if he wants 17+ million a year, a very difficult decision will be made. The team, management, and many fans love Russell Wilson, but one person is not above the team. At the very least, they will draft a QB next year and at the most extreme, trading Wilson to another team this year could be done.

aawolf

Reaction score
mikehawks":44idsgjh said:
It is very possible that Russell Wilson will be gone in 2016. It's very obvious that he wants to break the bank, so I'm almost positive he will be gone in 2016. I have been wrong before, but this one looks obvious. I think the front office would give him 10-12 million a year, but if he wants 17+ million a year, a very difficult decision will be made. The team, management, and many fans love Russell Wilson, but one person is not above the team. At the very least, they will draft a QB next year and at the most extreme, trading Wilson to another team this year could be done.

:177692: :177692: :34853_doh:

You must be the only Seahawk fan in America that hates Russell Wilson. Seriously? You think he should be the 14th highest paid QB in the NFL? Lower than Tannehill? When he's been the best bargain in the history of football his first three years? When, in those three years, he's set all-time records for wins for first 3-year QBs? When, in those three years, he's scored more total TDs than almost anyone in history for first 3-year QBs? When, in those three years, he's taken your team to two Super Bowls and playoff wins in each of his three years? You are crazy, or you are a troll from another fanbase who wants Wilson for your team (which posting on a message board will not get you, if that's your motivation).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikehawks":wx0l00px said:

QB's can technically be tagged three times, so if Russell continues his "elite" production as our QB, the soonest he'd be able to hit free agency is 2019. (last year of rookie deal + 3 yrs of being tagged).

Now the franchise tag does escalate, so maybe we won't want to franchise Russell. But just to clarify your statement, he can't just leave in 2016 if we don't want him to leave............which we won't. The tag doesn't get penal until the 2nd and 3rd years.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikehawks":2qnt343w said:
10-12 million?! Tannehill just got an extension averaging almost 20 million a year and you think our FO values Wilson at half what Tannehill got? Really? And you don't think Wilson is worth more than 3 million less per year than what Tannehill got? Wilson is the better QB but you don't think he's worth what the new going rate for QBs are?

At 10-12 million per year, Wilson would be making less than: Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Colin Kaepernick, Carson Palmer and Alex Smith among many others. It would put him at the #18 highest paid QB in the league...that's just crazy talk

Latest posts