Russell Wilson "fine without Tate" links add to Unger interv

CPHawk

Reaction score
Tate sucked before Russell, of course RW will be fine without him.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RolandDeschain":1j2gv6wa said:
Scottemojo":1j2gv6wa said:
Tate was a huge loss.

I am not saying he can't be replaced, perhaps he already has been. But there is no need to diminish him like a scorned lover.
It's annoying me how many people are doing that. Sure, he didn't get open much, but the dude has INSANE YAC ability and if they give him the pigskin a lot in Detroit against second-tier corners, he's going to have a friggin' field day.

Tate will have a great year this year, IMO.

Tate may well have a great year in the Lion's passing offense with Stafford slinging the ball. No doubt about it. But one thing I haven't heard mentioned much is Tate's penchant for YAC-minus-YAC-trying-to-get-cute-and-get-more-yards plays.

This past year especially he had numerous plays where he caught the ball for the first down, and then juked back and around and lost two or three or more yards trying to do too much and lost the first down. First down conversions are the ultimate receiver stat because they reset the offense and give us another three (or four, depending) plays to run. A twenty-five yard catch when it's 4th and 30 at your own yard line is worth shit. A two-yard catch to gain a first down is far more valuable no matter where it is on the field. And Tate had too many of the former type plays and not enough of the latter ones for my taste. I liked him as a receiver, but that drove me up the wall.

mikeak

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":qees6mr9 said:
Tate was a playmaker and he will be missed.

As a WR he was a playmaker AFTER he caught the ball. The separation was never there to be consistent threat. In our system I value catches more than yards after the catch.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I liked Tate, he was exciting and a huge play-maker for the Seahawks the last 2 years but I think some of you are being dramatic about his loss.

I'm with Russell on this one, he'll be fine.

Russ has one of the biggest play-makers in the NFL with a healthiest he's been in years, Percy Harvin.

Russ has one of the most effecient WRs of 2013 with a still improving but always clutch Doug Baldwin.

Russ has a big, strong and still improving WR in Jermaine Kearse. Who is similar to Golden Tate in big time plays just without the YAC ability.

Russ has potential in the speedy Richardson who can torch defenses and the possessive Kevin Norwood who can catch everything. Plus, a few others who are competing.

Russ has the ever dependable Zach Miller and the uber athletic Luke Willson.

Russ also has Lynch who just put in his best year as a WR last year, he has Turbin in which pass-catching is one of his strongest skills, he has Christine Michael who is a darkhorse but scary with the ball in his hands in space.

He also as Derrick Coleman who is a quality but little used outlet WR.

Russell Wilson will do fine without Golden Tate.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Tate's going to be missed. But I agree with Russ in that the Hawks will be ok. Both because I believe in the guys they have, and because I believe in Wilson being the type of qb that can make the most of the wr's he has. Top qb's have an ability to take guys who'd be average on other teams and help them shine. Manning, Brady, Brees all do that. The way RW works with his wr's and learns their game, to me he has that same quality.

The biggest aspect of Tate's game that I'll miss is his RAC in traffic ability. He wasn't the best route runner, best pass catcher, or biggest speedster. But the dude ran like a running back over the middle of the field. His ability to fight for an extra yard or 3 to get first downs was huge.

Tate will be missed. But I'm excited to see who steps up. (reminder of the fact that we as Seahawks fans have yet to really see what Percy Harvin is capable of when healthy over a prolonged period.)