Russell Wilson is Elite | I'm Putting the Nail in the Coffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Some questions:

~Does Russ have more successful plays than a journeyman QB?
~Do these plays contribute to win %?
~How many games does Russ's play alone earn a win above average QBs?

If the number of games is one or two total wins more than average (9/10-win seasons vs. 7/8 win seasons), then Russ is far more likely to contribute to playoff appearances.

~Has Russ contributed to success in the playoffs?
~To what degree does his success or failure in postseason lead directly to wins/losses?

You can only get to the SB through the playoffs. Get there, and anything is possible, right?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
knownone":2n7egsj5 said:
I can't believe this thread is still going. At some point, the mods should change the name of this thread to "is Wilson Elite or not | continuing to beat the dead horse".

I get it, it's a polarizing issue and people are having very real and legitimate conversations about what the Seahawks should do. Here's the thing though, unless the Seahawks stumble upon a franchise QB that can unseat Wilson, Wilson is your guy going forward. The only way that changes is if the Seahawks win less than 6 games next year and Pete retires. Then maybe the door opens up for a new coach to look at the draft and find a guy that fits his system better than Wilson. Even that seems unlikely but it's the only rational scenario I can see at the moment sans landing the next franchise QB in the 4th or 5th round.

I actually find it quite funny. This is the hill they are choosing to die on. :lol:

Atcom2FBlackShabbyBighornedsheep size restricted

Ad Hawk":2n7egsj5 said:
Some questions:

If the number of games is one or two total wins more than average (9/10-win seasons vs. 7/8 win seasons), then Russ is far more likely to contribute to playoff appearances.

~To what degree does his success or failure in postseason lead directly to wins/losses?

You can only get to the SB through the playoffs. Get there, and anything is possible, right?

Yes to all. Very logical.

According to JC they are worth about 3 wins over the average quarterback which sounds about right. Andy Dalton gets this team to 6-10, 7-9. Russell Wilson = 9-7,10-6. Chance at playoffs. So a chance at Superbowl.

Pete had a top 5 running game and a top 5 defense, with a game manager once in 2011.

The teams is rapidly improving with a lot of young, low cost players. It is actually lining up perfectly for the Seahawks to re-sign Wilson. The Seahawks are/were rebuilding, but it only took them 1 season to do it. Thanks to Wilson.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I love Russ. I think he is one of the best players I've ever watched. It doesn't matter to me whether he is elite or not. I think at this point his existence as a classy, respectful, and caring person makes me glad he's a Seahawk. I followed Cal Ripken Jr's entire career here in Baltimore and I will tell you that when you are gifted with a person with such self respect and care for others you appreciate everything they bring to the table, even the mistakes. Cal & Russ are two very gifted athletes that are considered to be among the best at their position during their careers.

Sit back, enjoy and appreciate. He won't be playing for too long. You will definitely miss him when he's done.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well everyone bitch will be screaming about how stupid John was not to sign him when they get the next David Green or Kelly Stouffer as our QB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":2wyf0nlt said:
knownone":2wyf0nlt said:
I can't believe this thread is still going. At some point, the mods should change the name of this thread to "is Wilson Elite or not | continuing to beat the dead horse".

I get it, it's a polarizing issue and people are having very real and legitimate conversations about what the Seahawks should do. Here's the thing though, unless the Seahawks stumble upon a franchise QB that can unseat Wilson, Wilson is your guy going forward. The only way that changes is if the Seahawks win less than 6 games next year and Pete retires. Then maybe the door opens up for a new coach to look at the draft and find a guy that fits his system better than Wilson. Even that seems unlikely but it's the only rational scenario I can see at the moment sans landing the next franchise QB in the 4th or 5th round.

I actually find it quite funny. This is the hill they are choosing to die on. :lol:

Atcom2FBlackShabbyBighornedsheep size restricted

Ad Hawk":2wyf0nlt said:
Some questions:

Yes to all. Very logical.

According to JC they are worth about 3 wins over the average quarterback which sounds about right. Andy Dalton gets this team to 6-10, 7-9. Russell Wilson = 9-7,10-6. Chance at playoffs. So a chance at Superbowl.

Pete had a top 5 running game and a top 5 defense, with a game manager once in 2011.

The teams is rapidly improving with a lot of young, low cost players. It is actually lining up perfectly for the Seahawks to re-sign Wilson. The Seahawks are/were rebuilding, but it only took them 1 season to do it. Thanks to Wilson.
Do you ever credit anyone else besides Wilson?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
IndyHawk":yguxi6h7 said:
200w

Sure. I've credited Mike Solari many times for improving the O-LIne.
I've credited Schotty for improving the Redzone offense.

I've credited them both for improving the wider variation of runs. And improving the running game in total.

I've credited Fluker & Sweezy, for being a big part of the transformation of the run game.

But without a great QB you will not be able to remain consistently good. See the Jags. They were a great team for a season. But Bortles is the QB, so their chance at a Superbowl and being contenders ended rather quickly.

Quarterbacks that produce at Wilson's level, and don't turn it over are hard to find.

I give credit out all the time. I also will be critical, as I pointed out Wilson's mistakes in the 1st half, and then credited him for his play in the 2nd half and turning it around in those various other threads. So I have no idea where this is coming from.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":vgtxe9kb said:
IndyHawk":vgtxe9kb said:
200w

Sure. I've credited Mike Solari many times for improving the O-LIne.
I've credited Schotty for improving the Redzone offense.

I've credited them both for improving the wider variation of runs. And improving the running game in total.

I've credited Fluker & Sweezy, for being a big part of the transformation of the run game.

But without a great QB you will not be able to remain consistently good. See the Jags. They were a great team for a season. But Bortles is the QB, so their chance at a Superbowl and being contenders ended rather quickly.

Quarterbacks that produce at Wilson's level, and don't turn it over are hard to find.

I give credit out all the time. I also will be critical, as I pointed out Wilson's mistakes in the 1st half, and then credited him for his play in the 2nd half and turning it around in those various other threads. So I have no idea where this is coming from.
Fair enough and I agree with all the ones you are listing..The main problem I have
with RW at this point is that monster contract coming.

I won't get into that till after the season.I want us in the playoffs and want him to be good.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Dude. 2011. Tarvaris Jackson + Beastmode + up-and-coming D (WITH Earl Thomas) = crap. 7-9, 3rd in the NFCW. Y'all want to go straight back to that. SMFH. Yeah, anybody could do it behind center :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
People need to stop fixating on the potential $ numbers that Russell Wilson will receive. The fact of the matter is that he will receive a new contract and the numbers will be big. Fade has already laid out in perfectly understandable terms that the numbers and cap percentage are not only manageable but justified.

According to overthecap.com, he is currently the 11th highest paid QB. Some of the QBs making more than him are, Rogers, Ryan, Garroppolo, Cousins, Stafford , Carr, Brees, Luck, Smith, and Flacco. He currently makes about 12% of the teams cap. He is still under contract for next season. As Fade has also stated, a new contract would probably net him about a 7% raise.

The top 20 salaries for QBs as of now for 2019 are all over 20million. That number is sure to go higher during the off-season. The market value of a QB is set. What the Seahawks have in Russell Wilson is a proven commodity. We all know what we have in him. He is a top QB in this league. His production bears that out. His stats back it up. There is virtually no game that is over with him at the helm that he doesn’t at least make interesting. Need a 4th quarter comeback? Who do you want leading the charge?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":21510oo7 said:
ivotuk":21510oo7 said:
In 2017, Russell Wilson set a new NFL Record with 19 fourth quarter Touchdowns.

He was responsible for almost all of the scoring, and because of a porous defense and a non-existent running game, had to constantly bring this team back in the fourth quarter.

Still, if we would have had a decent kicker, we may very well have made the playoffs.

What non-elite QB could possibly do that?

Answer: nobody.
Actually, the Seahawks had a top-half defense that was considerably higher than that for most of the year, and Russ was ranked below just about everybody else listed in this discussion in every other category besides touchdowns.

Oh and lest we forget to mention how without the help of Tom Cable's juggernaut O-Line & Daryll Bevell's shrewd play calling, Wilson wouldn't have come up with all those 4th quarter winning plays, NOT just last season, but for the last 3 1/2 years eh?
the only reason that the Seahawks won the high scoring shootout in 2015 against the Stealers, is because we had Beastmode on the sidelines watching our Defense keeping Rottenbooger from outscoring Wilson.

Sorry, I didn't mean to let FACTS get in the way.

OH AND, IF you don't need an "ELITE" Quarterback to go to AND WIN Super Bowls, try telling that to Billycheat & the Patriots so they can shitcan that goat GOAT Brady.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
scutterhawk":4du02x0s said:
Tical21":4du02x0s said:
ivotuk":4du02x0s said:
In 2017, Russell Wilson set a new NFL Record with 19 fourth quarter Touchdowns.

He was responsible for almost all of the scoring, and because of a porous defense and a non-existent running game, had to constantly bring this team back in the fourth quarter.

Still, if we would have had a decent kicker, we may very well have made the playoffs.

What non-elite QB could possibly do that?

Answer: nobody.
Actually, the Seahawks had a top-half defense that was considerably higher than that for most of the year, and Russ was ranked below just about everybody else listed in this discussion in every other category besides touchdowns.

Oh and lest we forget to mention how without the help of Tom Cable's juggernaut O-Line & Daryll Bevell's shrewd play calling, Wilson wouldn't have come up with all those 4th quarter winning plays, NOT just last season, but for the last 3 1/2 years eh?
the only reason that the Seahawks won the high scoring shootout in 2015 against the Stealers, is because we had Beastmode on the sidelines watching our Defense keeping Rottenbooger from outscoring Wilson.

Sorry, I didn't mean to let FACTS get in the way.

OH AND, IF you don't need an "ELITE" Quarterback to go to AND WIN Super Bowls, try telling that to Billycheat & the Patriots so they can shitcan that goat GOAT Brady.

How many active QBs have played in 2 or more super bowls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":kr1qaicn said:
People need to stop fixating on the potential $ numbers that Russell Wilson will receive. The fact of the matter is that he will receive a new contract and the numbers will be big. Fade has already laid out in perfectly understandable terms that the numbers and cap percentage are not only manageable but justified.

According to overthecap.com, he is currently the 11th highest paid QB. Some of the QBs making more than him are, Rogers, Ryan, Garroppolo, Cousins, Stafford , Carr, Brees, Luck, Smith, and Flacco. He currently makes about 12% of the teams cap. He is still under contract for next season. As Fade has also stated, a new contract would probably net him about a 7% raise.

The top 20 salaries for QBs as of now for 2019 are all over 20million. That number is sure to go higher during the off-season. The market value of a QB is set. What the Seahawks have in Russell Wilson is a proven commodity. We all know what we have in him. He is a top QB in this league. His production bears that out. His stats back it up. There is virtually no game that is over with him at the helm that he doesn’t at least make interesting. Need a 4th quarter comeback? Who do you want leading the charge?
Pay RW but your going to have to let Clark go(which is ok by me)He isn't worth 20 million.
I say really:Why not just overpay RW like say 50-60 million and bust the QB market?It's never
been easier to play QB than in todays game.Why even pay for defense?It's pretty much being
phased out anyway..I can actually see things going down in pay for those reason(s)

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
IndyHawk":m1da9gyc said:
Pay RW but your going to have to let Clark go(which is ok by me)He isn't worth 20 million.
I say really:Why not just overpay RW like say 50-60 million and bust the QB market?It's never
been easier to play QB than in todays game.Why even pay for defense?It's pretty much being
phased out anyway..I can actually see things going down in pay for those reason(s)
giphy.gif

The Seahawks already have Wilson on the books for $25M in 2019, and the Seahawks will have at least $55M in cap space this off-season. (My estimation is $60+ as I think the cap is going to go up higher than people anticipate as it usually does every year.)

How can they not afford Frank Clark?

rcaido

Reaction score
We can afford Clark but doesn't me we have to pay him.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Wilson was better than elite today he was the best QB in the league. 4rth and 3 TD pass with the game on the line incredible. Then the throw to Tyler . This was a masterpiece from the QB position.

Status
Not open for further replies.