Russell Wilson: passing problems

SeaChase

Reaction score
3 bad games in a row, yeah nothing to worry about. Nothing until the run game gets shut down by a decent D...

Ozzy

Reaction score
The run game in part is going so well BECAUSE of Wilson. This is something people seem to forget. Yep 3 bad games in a row and a career of playing very well. He will be fine.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
SeaChase":24q1d6au said:
3 bad games in a row, yeah nothing to worry about. Nothing until the run game gets shut down by a decent D...

Its the worst 5 game stretch of his career.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
austinslater25":156hpjk4 said:
The run game in part is going so well BECAUSE of Wilson. This is something people seem to forget. Yep 3 bad games in a row and a career of playing very well. He will be fine.

If you dont see that there are things to be worried about with his passing, then you are going to defend him no matter what.

He missed Kearse on that bomb which is about as easy it gets at the NFL level. Something that bugged me even more was the rollout to Helfett where he was wide open as he came ready to pass but then for some reason didnt throw it until everyone converged on him closer to the sideline.
Wilson has lost his feel, his confidence, there is something very wrong. The first INT he either didnt see the DB stay up, or he is just presnap deciding what to do from the pocket, a death sentance in the NFL. The second INT, was some kind of jump ball that was way underthrown.

He had 4 extremely bad passes, and most disturbingly, AT LEAST 3 very bad decisions in very limited attempts. Its not a good thing.

Cartire

Reaction score
Jacknut16":8c2q5p5x said:
austinslater25":8c2q5p5x said:

If you dont see that there are things to be worried about with his passing, then you are going to defend him no matter what.

Or maybe you should just not be worried until it actually matters. Unless you are someone who can actually effect RW, theres is no reason to "Worry" about anything. Were still winning games, thats all that matters as fans. Go "worry" about people in West Africa.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jacknut16":ncgcsyj7 said:

Yet another totally wrong statement because last I checked 313 yards, 64% complt, Qb rating 110, and over 100 rushing yards is not a bad game and that was just 4 games ago, So lets be factual and not make things up. it is 3 games, and you could argue only 2 given he had a 63% complt % in the Carolina game. But hey let snot the facts get in the way of a good non fact

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jacknut16":pqmhsm76 said:
austinslater25":pqmhsm76 said:

He missed Kearse on that bomb which is about as easy it gets at the NFL level. Something that bugged me even more was the rollout to Helfett where he was wide open as he came ready to pass but then for some reason didnt throw it until everyone converged on him closer to the sideline.
Wilson has lost his feel, his confidence, there is something very wrong. The first INT he either didnt see the DB stay up, or he is just presnap deciding what to do from the pocket, a death sentance in the NFL. The second INT, was some kind of jump ball that was way underthrown.

He had 4 extremely bad passes, and most disturbingly, AT LEAST 3 very bad decisions in very limited attempts. Its not a good thing.

Whats not good is how you disappear on two forums when he plays well and then you come out when he plays bad. You have been against Wilson form day one and have not changed the only thing different is you only come out when he plays bad. The interesting part is eve though his passing is off, he is still been helping this team win, something most QBs cannot do if their passing is off. He will figure it out, there are a lot of moving parts here.

Some is WIlson
Some is oline
Some is Wrs
some is weather
Some is play calling and route trees
Some is lack of being familiar with your WR since only 2 were here last year.
Some is having gotten the crap beat out of him
Some is pressing

A lot of reasons so either chill and give it time to work itself out which it will, or just stop posting, because its the same game with you, all hate when he plays bad and nothing when he plays good. Same as on the other forum. This is the nice way of saying what every one on the other forum is telling you.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Anthony!":3pprbt56 said:
Jacknut16":3pprbt56 said:

Yet another totally wrong statement because last I checked 313 yards, 64% complt, Qb rating 110, and over 100 rushing yards is not a bad game and that was just 4 games ago, So lets be factual and not make things up. it is 3 games, and you could argue only 2 given he had a 63% complt % in the Carolina game. BU they let snot the acts get in the way of a good non fact

The last 5 games is the worst 5 game combined passer rating he has had in his career.

So just so you can comprehend this: The last 5 games he has an average passer rating of 70.5, that is the lowest passer rating of any 5 game stretch of his career.

They where talking about it ALL flipping day on KJR monday.

I didnt make anything up, you just fail to be able to do basic math.

And whatever you tried to say in that last sentance was sure lost on me.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Anthony!":308v5ewf said:
Jacknut16":308v5ewf said:
austinslater25":308v5ewf said:

Whats not good is how you disappear on two forums when he plays well and then you come out when he plays bad. You have been against Wilson form day one and have not changed the only thing different is you only come out when he plays bad. The interesting part is eve though his passing is off, he is still been helping this team win, something most QBs cannot do if their passing is off. He will figure it out, there are a lot of moving parts here.

Some is WIlson
Some is oline
Some is Wrs
some is weather
Some is play calling and route trees
Some is lack of being familiar with your WR since only 2 were here last year.
Some is having gotten the crap beat out of him
Some is pressing

A lot of reasons so either chill and give it time to work itself out which it will, or just stop posting, because its the same game with you, all hate when he plays bad and nothing when he plays good. Same as on the other forum. This is the nice way of saying what every one on the other forum is telling you.

Ill post here whenever I want, whether he plays well or when he plays bad, you can take that attitude and shove it right back in your face.

And since you like to LIE about what was said on the Seattle times board, I was there all last year, from start to finish.

Why you continue to lie about things is beyond me.

Maybe the Hawks will lose this weekend and Wilson will have a passer rating of 95+ so you can have a nice week patting him on the head about what a great game he had.

Dont ever tell me when to post and when not too.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of the excuses are weird.

Some are valid.

Some likely won't be determined until weeks after the season (remember when last season everyone wondered why Wilson never ran anymore and then it came out that he was playing injured for weeks?).

But regardless, Wilson is in a slump. It does not help that he has one of the worst OL I have seen in years and apparently we are doing our best to remove any effective WRs threats from the roster, while at the same time using prayer as the plan B for our TE group.

The weather thing is WEIRD. I am pretty sure it rained last year. In fact, the SF game where we first shelled them in Seattle was played in a downpour for much of it. Same with the Saints. The idea he just suddenly forgot how to throw a ball in the rain is laughable.

Maybe he is just distracted, by divorce, by demands on his time, by issues with teammates, who knows? But something is shaking him from his normal attention to detail and preparation.

Either way something is wrong. Wrong enough I think we can reasonably state we are going to need to depend on other players (like Lynch or the secondary ) to carry us. Wilson simply cannot, whether because of lack of support, lack of consistency or lack of focus this year.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
There are a lot of factors coming into play.

- RW throws are off
- RW is hesitating
- The O Line is showing poor protection
- The WRs aren't getting open quick enough
- The WRs aren't catching the ball
- RW being forced only to throw safe passes, and only allowed to throw long passes when in a 3rd and long situation

Bottomline, like ADB said a few games to go, the entire offense is to blame. No one single player. They mesh well and the entire thing looks great. A few components don't play well, and the whole thing looks bad.

Anthony!

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2ktfs42h said:
There are a lot of factors coming into play.

- RW throws are off
- RW is hesitating
- The O Line is showing poor protection
- The WRs aren't getting open quick enough
- The WRs aren't catching the ball
- RW being forced only to throw safe passes, and only allowed to throw long passes when in a 3rd and long situation

Bottomline, like ADB said a few games to go, the entire offense is to blame. No one single player. They mesh well and the entire thing looks great. A few components don't play well, and the whole thing looks bad.

Great post best of the thread.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
But they aren't safe passes. Not sure why people keep making this distinction?

During this slump he is throwing interceptions. He is also missing wide open guys sure, but that does not make the passes "safe".

Then again last year his receivers could be counted on to fight for the ball and come away with contested catches. Not so much this year.

Remember Baldwin our best WR was defended by the #2 CB last year this year more often the #1. It makes a difference.

byau

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2fid817q said:

During this slump he is throwing interceptions. He is also missing wide open guys sure, but that does not make the passes "safe".

How about "safe" at least as far as decision making? The picks Russell threw, the receivers did have some wide open routes if Russell passed to the outside, not the inside.

His passes were a lot less accurate against the Raiders

Also, I seem to recall his footwork being much calmer vs the Giants than vs the Raiders.

So it could just then be everything else outside of accuracy is working which is a big plus as opposed to other technique (happy feet) or poor decision making

Anthony!

Reaction score
byau":1p8l0y2h said:
TwistedHusky":1p8l0y2h said:

How about "safe" at least as far as decision making? The picks Russell threw, the receivers did have some wide open routes if Russell passed to the outside, not the inside.

His passes were a lot less accurate against the Raiders

Also, I seem to recall his footwork being much calmer vs the Giants than vs the Raiders.

So it could just then be everything else outside of accuracy is working which is a big plus as opposed to other technique (happy feet) or poor decision making

AS we have stated and shown there are a lot of things at play here, some is WIlson, some is the WRs, some is the oline, some is the play calling and route trees. The bad part is some of these things have existed for some time ie oline, not have a true #1 wr, playcalling, etc. The good par tis some are easily fixable as Wilson has shown he can and will fix his issues, and hopefully that will allow him to do what he has done more often than not and make up for the oline, play calling and wrs. To a point he is doing it now but using his legs, I am sure he will figure it out to do it with his arm as well. Even in this last game despite some bad throws, there were some really good ones. This tells me he is not far off.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Anthony its futile. People can't see through the trees.

My favorite post is the "everything is fine until our run game gets shut down". Yeah because Wilson struggled terribly when our running game was bottled up(probably the same crowd that kept saying Lynch is obviously done) and Wilson was carrying the offense on his way to a Super Bowl.

SeaChase

Reaction score
austinslater25":9jzl2i28 said:
Anthony its futile. People can't see through the trees.

My favorite post is the "everything is fine until our run game gets shut down". Yeah because Wilson struggled terribly when our running game was bottled up(probably the same crowd that kept saying Lynch is obviously done) and Wilson was carrying the offense on his way to a Super Bowl.

Tress I think you are smoking...Yeah look at the running game before we traded Percy. Trying to lump people into groups is called stereo typing-just at the football level. I like Lynch, they should feed the beast way more often. 7 touches in a game is unacceptable. But look at those games when Lynch had few touches. Isn't there a nice little stat that when Lynch has 20 touches or more the Hawks usually win, or is it if he has 100 yards or more I can't remember. But that stat is basically stating the obvious, when Lynch isn't used or is ineffective the hawks lose, aka as the game being placed in Wilson's hands..........

Ozzy

Reaction score
Go look at our games down the stretch. How many times did Lynch go over a 100 yards and yet we kept winning? How was the running game in the Super Bowl? Do those games not count because they don't fit your narrative? So if you want to talk about stating the obvious quit using a generic NFL stat and actually go look at the actual team that you are arguing about and see what really happened.

I love Lynch and I want the running game emphasized as much as anyone. If the running game is clicking your chances of winning are much higher. But to say if the running game falters we are screwed because Wilson can't carry us when he CLEARLY has carried us at times is beyond stupid, especially for fans who claim to watch and follow the Seahawks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jacknut16":2hcr8tw0 said:
SeaChase":2hcr8tw0 said:

I can't imagine it's as bad as that five game stretch he had across the last four weeks of last year through the playoff games against the Saints. IIRC across five games he averaged 160 yards of total offense per game (both running and passing) and had four tds, 3 ints, and multiple fumbles. He's struggled for sure as of late, but not nearly as bad as he did toward the end of last season.