Russell Wilson: Report says he wants to explore options with

keasley45

Reaction score
themunn":3sp09y5z said:
John63":3sp09y5z said:
The problem is in his NFL career PCs system did not work till he got a QB of Wilson caliber. So so far he has not proven he can. Given PC himself said without Wilson he would not have been here this long that kind of tells you what he thinks. Also as to College let me remind you of the state he left that school in.

Again Prior to Wilson, he had a sub 500 record in the NFl with Wilson over 600.

in 2011 he had an avg Qb Jackson, he had Lynch and 1200 yards from him ranked 7th. His defense was top 10 in yards and scoring and guess what 7-9. So sorry I don't agree for his system to work in the NFL it requires a Qb that can take over a game and make magic,

Trying to say because he did in college so he can in the NFL is ridiculous the history books are littered with coaches and players who did in college but failed in the NFL.

So the answer is no he has not done it....yet.

But it DID work without Wilson, we went from a team that went 4-12 and 5-11 with -98 and -110 point differential to a team that made the playoffs in 2010 with inferior talent, and then a +6 differential in 2011, finishing 2nd in scoring defense. All with a BELOW average QB in Tavaris Jackson, who suffered a torn pec injury and was still a better option than Charlie Whitehurst at QB.

For the first year of Lynch's career in Seattle he was averaging about 3 YPC, but in last 8 games, he started playing within the system and playing the way Pete wanted him to.

We then drafted a future HoF QB, but also in the next 2 years the team added pieces like Bobby Wagner, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Bruce Irvin who took our defense from being merely good to historically great.

So to say Pete's system doesn't work without Wilson is to say it doesn't work without any of those players either. But those players were there and they were there because of Pete Carroll and John Schneider.

Once we added a competent QB to our roster we started winning more games yes, but we're not the only team in the NFL that needs a competent QB to win games - the Bengals won their first playoff game in over 30 years. Is it a coincidence that this happened in the first season that their Number 1 overall draft pick QB played a full season? The Packers won the number 1 overall seed this year, but lost both games where Jordan Love played significant snaps this year. Does Matt LeFleur's system only work when he has Aaron Rodgers available?

Thank you.

BASF

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1brrhcvl said:
So now he somehow isn't committed to the team. :34853_doh: :roll:
cesspool.........

I agree with most of your points that are in this manner, however this one does not hold up to seeing him say that he wants to explore options when he is under contract for two more years. If you are committed to your team, with two more years under contract, you do not have your PR team put out that you want to explore options.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":295f2w5u said:
So now he somehow isn't committed to the team. :34853_doh: :roll:
cesspool.........

So your girl friend or wifey tells you that she loves you but meantime she is also out there exploring opportunities, however, even when she is actively out there exploring opportunities, she will tell the world that she loves you. By the way, she will let you know the acceptable destinations, may he be John next door, Joe at work, or Trent the UPS man, when she is done trying them on for sizes?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is weird that when a player does this, it is not being committed or not being loyal.

Then people roll to the GF/Wife 'cheating' analogy.

But when a team explores trade options that is just 'good business' or we roll back to 'the NFL is a business'

There are literally people here advocating trading Wilson while at the same time castigating him for hinting at wanting to be traded.

Throwdown

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3rbnr8sl said:
It is weird that when a player does this, it is not being committed or not being loyal.

But when a team explores trade options that is just 'good business' or we roll back to 'the NFL is a business'

There are literally people here advocating trading Wilson while at the same time castigating him for hinting at wanting to be traded.

No we want him gone cuz he does this

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
10 years of wanting him gone, and people will likely STILL not get their way. And when he finally IS gone, they get their way, all while the team wins maybe 6 games. I mean, you can just plug any old QB in there :?

Pure Gold

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":31czmg38 said:

It's the mixed messages that annoy fans.

You can't sit in front of the cameras and tell the reporters you love Seattle and want to play here for another 20 years, then turn around and cowardly through your agent float out all the "explore my options" and "hey I don't want to be traded, but if you're so inclined here are my four teams" nonsense.

Idk who's advising Russell beyond Mark Rodgers, but holy crap is he bad at this. He thinks he's being savvy with trying to get his name and story out in the press to keep himself relevant through the playoffs his team isn't in, primarily btw because of his poor play and injury.

THIS is why I and others are annoyed at Russ. Be committed and happy where you are, or be direct. Enough already with the two faced talk.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1v4cfkbi said:
The fact that it bothers you so much says a lot. Get over it and let it play out.

Weird, I tell you the same thing when other posters criticize you. Yet you tell us you need a forum vacation cause you're feelings are so hurt.

Maybe take some of your own advice and get over it.

I like people who are genuine and straight forward, that includes athletes who play for the sports teams I root for. Russ is not being straight forward. So I'm calling him on it. Get over that.

John63

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1dm8538t said:

THIS^^^^

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1zhn1hbn said:

No one knows if he wants to be traded because he literally will not keep a straight story regardless. How can you so adamantly miss the point here?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":59t67psp said:
TwistedHusky":59t67psp said:

THIS^^^^

No, not that. It DIRECTLY contradicts your steadfast position that Russell Wilson is "all in."

Do you even read the stuff you "THIS!!!^^^^" all over your keyboard to anymore?

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":61qwz5kw said:
John63":61qwz5kw said:
TwistedHusky":61qwz5kw said:

THIS^^^^

No, not that. It DIRECTLY contradicts your steadfast position that Russell Wilson is "all in."

I do and the point of that post was the hypocritical nature of most of you not whether Wilson wants to stay or not. Perhaps you should think about reading the nature of the post, not just the words.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
John63":a3ahj8ji said:
as has been factually shown in this forum we lead the league in 3rd and long, every team PC has been an HC of in the NFL led the league in 3rd and long. Our conversion on 3rd down was worse under the 2 qbs prior to Wilson to include Hass.

and again all that aside IF and it's a big IF PC, Waldron and Wilson have come to an accord, and based on the last 2 games they might have we should be good, Given we were 63% on 3rd down.
I'll be honest, it's difficult to parse what you actually are saying here (especially the first sentence), but if we are talking about comparing Hass and Russ passing on 3rd down under Carroll, it doesn't look good for Russ.

For one, right off the bat, we should clarify that Matthew, even though he's my favorite Seahawk ever so it hurts me to say this, wasn't elite on converting on 3rd down in clear passing situations (which I define as 4 or more yards... basically when the D is going to play the pass more than the run). He was just slightly above NFL average for his career (just like Russ).

However, in 2010, in those 3rd down passing distance situations, when the Seahawks put it on Hass to convert with his arm, he did it 39% of the time compared to the NFL average of 32% of the time. In the mid-range situations (4-6 yards), where Russ gets most of his specific criticism, Hasselbeck converted 59% of the time, far and away better than the NFL average of 41% that year and both numbers easily surpassing his career average.

So, acutally, under Carroll, Matt did FAR better converting on 3rd down as a passer than he usually did, so no, Pete's philosophy didn't 'hold him back' in those circumstances.

And again, career for career, Matt and Russ convert in those circumstances about equally which, as I said, is just above NFL average. However, this year, in those circumstances, Russ as a passer converted below average on 3rd and 4+ and if you focus on 3rd and mid-range passing situations, Russ was WAY below the NFL average, scraping the bottom of the barrel. (He very well might have been the worst starter in the league).

So far, the best rate I can find for Russ converting on 3rd down passing situations is 2015... when the Seahawks were still near the bottom of the league in pass attempts and near the top of the league in rushing attempts. In other words, Russ does BEST as a passer when him throwing the ball isn't the engine that drives the offense.

Any team that wants the 'best' version of Russ is probably going to have do some version of the dreaded "Pete-Ball" to get it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3newpyv3 said:
Maelstrom787":3newpyv3 said:
John63":3newpyv3 said:
TwistedHusky":3newpyv3 said:

THIS^^^^

I do and the point of that post was the hypocritical nature of most of you not whether Wilson wants to stay or not. Perhaps you should think about reading the nature of the post, not just the words.

You're reading something other than the words of the post?

That explains a whole lot.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You're funny Largent. You sound miserable. You really care that much about it? To the point that he has to act and talk a certain way, all to satisfy what you think is the right way to conduct himself.
I don't care if people like me or not, this is a message board. It's not that important.
Again, pure gold.

keasley45

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3i1hz0z8 said:
10 years of wanting him gone, and people will likely STILL not get their way. And when he finally IS gone, they get their way, all while the team wins maybe 6 games. I mean, you can just plug any old QB in there :?

Pure Gold

This narrative is so tired. Not everyone who is embracing the reality that he might not be here hates him or has the same fatalistic view of the future as those in the Russel camp.

And who said it's easy to get a franchise qb? There are questions around whether our philosophy is better suited for a Tannahill or Carr type QB vs an elite talent, but i dont think anyone is saying it's easy. Nor are the majority of people even saying Russ leaving is desirable. But he's the one not happy and pushing this ' I want to maximize my opportunity to win championships 'agenda. Not his o-line, not his RB, not his wr's who all work to help make him who he is.

The attempt to equate the perceived loyalty between ownership and players with that between players and team also misses the mark. The 53 men and practice squad players , their coaches and staff are who comprise the TEAM. It has been that way since the beginning of time. Cutting a player, or trading a player is every bit as necessary at times as a player deciding to leave his team for a better paying or potentially more fruitful opportunity. It's the business side of a franchise that relies on the reconciliation of balance sheets and elevating a franchise's bottom line.
If that reality isn't appealing to some, there's college football to watch. But the hammer coming down on a player on the Team vs a player saying to the team, 'yeah, thanks bro's, but I feel like I'd be better elsewhere, aren't remotely the same. And when the that RB, and WRs, and o-line are performing in a way that SHOULD allow us to be more successful than we are, but he chooses not to get on that bus, that's on him.

And that's why folks are at peace over him not being here. Not happy, not thankful, but at peace.

And it's why Pete, John and Jody look like they've had enough.

But hey, maybe they just hate him too.