Russell Wilson story could easily apply to Tom Brady

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":33yk249l said:
The two players aren't remotely similar in how they approach these blow ups. And it has nothing to do with the position they play.

They both are highly competitive, even combative at times. But where the two diverge is in how they deal with the aftermath. Once cooler heads have a chance to avail.

Brady is adept at the art of contrition. Whether it's genuine or not doesn't really matter. He has a manner and ability to diffuse these instances after the fact. In a way that essentially kills the story before it gets out of hand.

Sherman is frankly awful in this manner. Given multiple opportunities, he either defiantly (I'm guessing he sees it as righteously) persists, or he hamhandedly offers a disingenuous attempt to cast the issue aside. Whether by condescending manner or by diction laced with ridicule. It's a poorly crafted 'Sorry, not sorry' message. And in the end, the story intensifies as a direct result of what one *should* conclude is discontent simmering beneath a very thin veneer of decorum or team harmony.

They are treated differently because Sherman's inability to kill the issue. I can't be sure if it's just he's not skilled at that. Or that he's simply not very inclined to exercise contrition if he feels he is in the right. I mean we've seen him on occasion squash these kinds of issues before. But that hasn't been consistent and certainly has not been the norm the last couple of seasons now. Regardless, the end result is the same. He is the root cause of these cases lingering for weeks on end.

I would add, that I'm not trying to claim one way is necessarily better than another. And I'm sure there are behind the scenes consequences that Brady inflicts on his organization out of view of the public eye. This is really a PR kind of headache. And Sherman's ire and angst is probably similar to Tom's except for the fact that it's bad optics in the public domain and it's less protective of the organization. It's also likely more open and honest. For this organization who prides itself on transparency and honesty -- even devoting a day of preparation as Tell the Truth Monday -- I tend to think it's part and parcel to the environment Pete has built here. Almost as if he'd have it no other way.

Personally, I could care less what other fans think of this team. Or what is sure to be future salacious stories brought up by national beat writers. I like having this kind of access to this team. And understand how it fits in this team's culture. It's unique and I don't expect outsiders to understand how it works here. If people that can't understand that want to write exposes on what they think all this means based on their preconceptions of other generic NFL organizations -- that's fine by me. Doesn't affect how I feel about this team. I don't need the rest of the country's estimation to validate why I love this team.

The "two players" being compared were Brady and Wilson, not Brady and Sherman. Sherman said that what he said about Wilson would hold true had it been said about Brady.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":762u5bm8 said:
I have yet to see Brady go off on their defensive coordinator and head coach (his own offensive coordinator, yes). Possibly I missed something.

Or media members, then lie about it.

Players have been yelling at other players on the sidelines since the dawn of organized sports. That's nothing new.

So Sherman would get a pass by most people if once a season or two he gets into it with another player, like Brady. It's all the other nonsense with the coaches, media, then doubling down on it when on social media or the press.

btw, Brady's earned his leeway with getting to yell at his teammates when they screw up. Sherman's not quite to that level of leeway IMO. He's good, but if you're gonna undress a teammate on the sideline, you better have 10 picks a season.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qv3fqvwq said:
Seymour":qv3fqvwq said:
I have yet to see Brady go off on their defensive coordinator and head coach (his own offensive coordinator, yes). Possibly I missed something.

He's good, but if you're gonna undress a teammate on the sideline, you better have 10 picks a season.

What a silly way to evaluate a CB. Revis and Sanders never had a 10 pick season, and they were the best player on most teams that they played on. It hasn't happened in over 10 years, when Champ Bailey was the last guy to do it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kobebryant":13xqucn0 said:
Sgt. Largent":13xqucn0 said:
Seymour":13xqucn0 said:

He's good, but if you're gonna undress a teammate on the sideline, you better have 10 picks a season.

What a silly way to evaluate a CB. Revis and Sanders never had a 10 pick season, and they were the best player on most teams that they played on. It hasn't happened in over 10 years, when Champ Bailey was the last guy to do it.

It's not silly, I'm equating it to the dominance at his position that gives Brady his leeway to criticize his teammates.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
A 2007 incident with BB bashing Brady in training camp is the best argument this guy could come up with? Really???
I recall numerous articles about Brady yelling at his OL and his OC over just the last few years, not much mention of that. Nothing but click bait here. It only makes sense that a $20-million a year player gets treated differently than $600,000 a year fringe players.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sherman is right. And I support his right to blow up on the field, his right to show his passion, the passion that it takes to be an All-Pro, year in and year out. He loves his team mates, and treats them with respect, and as far as I'm concerned, besides treating the Head Coach with respect, that's all he needs to do.

I'm going to get frustrated with him and other players, but that's MY passion showing. Once I settle down and review things with a little perspective, I'm usually just fine with it.

And the linked story...what a crock of shit ""

"What's interesting here is that Brady, while certainly a different animal than other players on the Pats roster, might not really get treated that differently. He understands that Bill Belichick could totally trade him one day if..."

What a load of crap! "Well, Bill Belicheck could get fired one day if...(place imaginary Unicorn Feces here"

kobebryant

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3e0sljcq said:
kobebryant":3e0sljcq said:
Sgt. Largent":3e0sljcq said:
Seymour":3e0sljcq said:

It's not silly, I'm equating it to the dominance at his position that gives Brady his leeway to criticize his teammates.

A cornerback's interception totals are not a good way to evaluate that corners level of dominance. Deion and Revis in their primes were every bit as good at their job as Brady is at his job - neither came close to a 10 interception season. Heck, Revis was damn near perfect in 2009, the best player in the game, and had 6 ints. It's a ridiculous way to evaluate shutdown CBs.

chris98251

Reaction score
If your good they don't throw at you so opportunity for interceptions are much less, now if you evaluated how many plays Sherman took away half the field we would have a measuring stick.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sherm is nowhere in Brady's league of elite player.

Period.

Sherman has been a good player at his position for a handful of seasons.

Tom Brady is on his way to being the single greatest NFL QB to ever play the game.

Sherm don't get the same leeway as Brady because he shouldn't.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
"Oh, it's fantastic. It's fantastic," Wilson said. "We're teammates. It's like a family. It's like everybody else in a family. We fight for one another. Just like I'm fighting for the other 52 guys out there, I'm fighting for him and he's fighting for us. And we have a great appreciation for how tough our quarterback is and what he has played through.
"Last year, he played through a number of injuries, and he's not doing that because, 'Oh, man, I've just got to go out there and it's a job.' He's doing that for the guys next to him, and we appreciate that. We think he's a great quarterback."
- Will Brinson

Um .... Is Russell speaking about himself in first person now or has Will Brinson mis-attributed another quote in an article that begins with Sherm saying that he was mis-quoted?

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
brimsalabim":336amvk1 said:
"Oh, it's fantastic. It's fantastic," Wilson said. "We're teammates. It's like a family. It's like everybody else in a family. We fight for one another. Just like I'm fighting for the other 52 guys out there, I'm fighting for him and he's fighting for us. And we have a great appreciation for how tough our quarterback is and what he has played through.
"Last year, he played through a number of injuries, and he's not doing that because, 'Oh, man, I've just got to go out there and it's a job.' He's doing that for the guys next to him, and we appreciate that. We think he's a great quarterback."
- Will Brinson

Um .... Is Russell speaking about himself in first person now or has Will Brinson mis-attributed another quote in an article that begins with Sherm saying that he was mis-quoted?

Those are Sherm's words, not Wilson's.

Latest posts