Russell Wilson's contract pushed to next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
storm74":10hl3jrb said:
How pissed would you guys be if Wilson and the Seahawks had a deal in place contingent on the firing of Bevell but the Seahawks wouldn't do it? :stirthepot:

They cant do that.....RW said good call to Bevell one time. :mrgreen:

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":bw6o8y3v said:
Anthony!":bw6o8y3v said:
rideaducati":bw6o8y3v said:
Russell has zero leverage right now and will not have leverage until the end of the 2016 season.

not true at all he has plenty of leverage now and will have more in 2016.

It's obvious that you don't know the meaning of leverage. Russell CAN'T go anywhere for the next three years if the Seahawks choose no matter what Russell does. How does Russell have leverage?

Simple not show up till week 8, each year he gets credit for a full season. they use up their tags, and are stuck knowing they will not have him for 7-8 games every year, which causes huge problems. Hold out every year till opening day, leave and go to the CFL and get paid huge, I can go on and on. If this were to happen the FO would have to make a choice as their core on defense will be getting older, their contract will be coming up, and they will only have Wilson for 7-8 game a year. So yeah he has leverage just because you refuse to acknowledge it does not mean it is not their. He could hold out till they take the tag off the table as well. HE has plenty of leverage, weather he uses it or not is another thing, since he is a team first guy he probably will not and the FO knowing that will take advantage of it. However you never know what might happen if someone get mad enough.

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":1t2uefm8 said:
rideaducati":1t2uefm8 said:
Anthony!":1t2uefm8 said:
rideaducati":1t2uefm8 said:
Russell has zero leverage right now and will not have leverage until the end of the 2016 season.

It's obvious that you don't know the meaning of leverage. Russell CAN'T go anywhere for the next three years if the Seahawks choose no matter what Russell does. How does Russell have leverage?

Simple not show up till week 8, each year he gets credit for a full season. they use up their tags, and are stuck knowing they will not have him for 7-8 games every year, which causes huge problems. Hold out every year till opening day, leave and go to the CFL and get paid huge, I can go on and on. If this were to happen the FO would have to make a choice as their core on defense will be getting older, their contract will be coming up, and they will only have Wilson for 7-8 game a year. So yeah he has leverage just because you refuse to acknowledge it does not mean it is not their. He could hold out till they take the tag off the table as well. HE has plenty of leverage, weather he uses it or not is another thing, since he is a team first guy he probably will not and the FO knowing that will take advantage of it. However you never know what might happen if someone get mad enough.
Threatening to play in the CFL is now leverage?

EVERY player that gets franchised does the same thing. They whine, cry, threaten a holdout, and report the day before they would miss their first check. Threaten is all they can do, as they have zero actual leverage. See Dez Bryant. See Lance Briggs. See Drew Brees. See Walter Jones. See Shaun Alexander. See every other franchised player ever. We all know full well Russell is never going to sit out a game. That is not an actual threat.

The difference in the Marshawn case was that it was believed to be a very real threat that he would actually fail to show up and/or retire.

Anthony!

Reaction score
"Shaun Alexander was in Kirkland yesterday, completing a one-year contract with the Seahawks.

The bigger news is where that will put him Friday -- in Cheney for the first practice of training camp.

No holdout. No questions about how Seattle would fill the tailback spot in his absence. No more suspense over when the player who led the NFL in touchdowns last season would arrive to pick up where he left off. In 2004, he rushed for 1,696 yards, which was one well-documented yard short of tying for tops in the league.

Alexander agreed to a one-year contract that will pay him $6.32 million -- exactly what he would have made had he signed the franchise tender that has been on the table for months.

The difference in this deal is the provision that he can't be tagged as the franchise player next offseason. He also reserves the right to veto any trade before the October deadline."

Worked for Alexander, he threated to hold out and look what he got.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/footbal ... 179211.php

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I think all of this has proven one fact..... No one even know what the heck is really going on. As far as anyone knows they may have some basic principles in place and are finagling over incentives and signing bonus. Hell that is about as accurate as anything else we have heard.

Or this My aunt Martha, knows this hair dresser that once dating Wilson brother and then his sister who says that Wilson want 1/10 ownership of the Seahawks. Heck

In the end even if we pay him the highest contract ever right now in one year it will not be.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
We have him for three years. What's the rush? I have nothing but full confidence in Russell Wilson's character to play at the highest level during that time without a long-term deal in place. Besides in three years - perhaps our cap situation won't quite looks as bleak as the cap will keep going up.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
RW will not hold out in '15...he is under contract and has stated that he will play it out for $1.5M.

If franchised in '16, I would not bet against him holding out up to mid-season if necessary...he will not have committed to play and in 1/2 season would still make 8-10 times what he will make in '15.

I really don't think the team would let it go that far without either making a deal or trading him to a team that would make a deal for a couple of first round picks plus change...but to say "it couldn't happen" ignores his strength of character.

JMO/YMMV

Tical21

Reaction score
Anthony!":36pdhqox said:
"Shaun Alexander was in Kirkland yesterday, completing a one-year contract with the Seahawks.

The bigger news is where that will put him Friday -- in Cheney for the first practice of training camp.

No holdout. No questions about how Seattle would fill the tailback spot in his absence. No more suspense over when the player who led the NFL in touchdowns last season would arrive to pick up where he left off. In 2004, he rushed for 1,696 yards, which was one well-documented yard short of tying for tops in the league.

Alexander agreed to a one-year contract that will pay him $6.32 million -- exactly what he would have made had he signed the franchise tender that has been on the table for months.

The difference in this deal is the provision that he can't be tagged as the franchise player next offseason. He also reserves the right to veto any trade before the October deadline."

Worked for Alexander, he threated to hold out and look what he got.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/footbal ... 179211.php
One big difference. At that time, the Seahawks wanted to have their franchise tag available the next year in case they needed it for Hutch. They knew they weren't going to franchise Shaun the next year regardless, so conceded zero by lifting it. Russell Wilson is the only current player that could be considered for the franchise tag, and the Seahawks are going to hold onto it like gold.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Clayton's argument for why Russell should take a deal is compelling. Rather than getting paid 1.5 mil for this year he gets 21 mil or so per year by accepting a 4 year deal. Unless they aren't offering to tear up the last year of his rookie contract. I have read here and other places that that is not uncommon practice to simply offer an extension. Nah that's just rampant speculation.

SC

Anthony!

Reaction score
BadgerVid":3axi91gc said:
RW will not hold out in '15...he is under contract and has stated that he will play it out for $1.5M.

If franchised in '16, I would not bet against him holding out up to mid-season if necessary...he will not have committed to play and in 1/2 season would still make 8-10 times what he will make in '15.

I really don't think the team would let it go that far without either making a deal or trading him to a team that would make a deal for a couple of first round picks plus change...but to say "it couldn't happen" ignores his strength of character.

JMO/YMMV

You could be right but to say he has no leverage is just plain silly. He has leverage and he will gain more as time goes on.

Anthony!

Reaction score
StoneCold":3v43r2ge said:
Clayton's argument for why Russell should take a deal is compelling. Rather than getting paid 1.5 mil for this year he gets 21 mil or so per year by accepting a 4 year deal. Unless they aren't offering to tear up the last year of his rookie contract. I have read here and other places that that is not uncommon practice to simply offer an extension. Nah that's just rampant speculation.

SC

They have already said it would be an extension so he would get 12 mil but not for this year but moving forward. SO if the offer is 4 years 87 mil that would mean 5 years 88.5 mil or 17.7 a year. They are not offering to tear up his last year like they did for Lynch.

grizbob

Reaction score
Anthony!":10u991hw said:
BadgerVid":10u991hw said:

JMO/YMMV

You could be right but to say he has no leverage is just plain silly. He has leverage and he will gain more as time goes on.

Doe snot :lol:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":su41ypw8 said:
StoneCold":su41ypw8 said:

SC

They have already said it would be an extension so he would get 12 mil but not for this year but moving forward. SO if the offer is 4 years 87 mil that would mean 5 years 88.5 mil or 17.7 a year. They are not offering to tear up his last year like they did for Lynch.

This is like listening to a broken record of ignorance . . . They "tore up" Lynch's last year by lowering his base salary so that the signing bonus for his extension would be cap neutral. Carolina did this same thing recently with Cam Newton's extension.

Doing this for Wilson is not possible because his signing bonus is expected to be so large . . . around $20-30 million . . . and his base salary is already low.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3nsskrxi said:
Anthony!":3nsskrxi said:
StoneCold":3nsskrxi said:

SC

This is like listening to a broken record of ignorance . . . They "tore up" Lynch's last year by lowering his base salary so that the signing bonus for his extension would be cap neutral. Carolina did this same thing recently with Cam Newton's extension.

Doing this for Wilson is not possible because his signing bonus is expected to be so large . . . around $20-30 million . . . and his base salary is already low.

oh please provide a link were JS said that ? Bet you cant. you are assuming, for all you know they just do not want to. FYI you can say what you want but JS said they will not tear up contracts, they will do ext but they expect players to play out their full current contracts, and yet once again for Lynch they changed it and only after he threated to retire. As to ignorance you are correct you are.

Tical21

Reaction score
He won't be able to provide the link, he witnessed Schneider talking about it in person, but he left it on his other computer which magically broke when the evidence was requested.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":ckszktka said:
hawknation2015":ckszktka said:
Anthony!":ckszktka said:
StoneCold":ckszktka said:

SC

oh please provide a link were JS said that ? Bet you cant. you are assuming, for all you know they just do not want to. FYI you can say what you want but JS said they will not tear up contracts, they will do ext but they expect players to play out their full current contracts, and yet once again for Lynch they changed it and only after he threated to retire. As to ignorance you are correct you are.

And the record goes on and on and on.

[youtube]xz6OGVCdov8[/youtube]

Why would Wilson want his base salary LOWERED, ala Newton/Lynch's extensions? He wouldn't; therefore, your comparison is preposterous.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ffzrn7o said:
BadgerVid":1ffzrn7o said:

JMO/YMMV

Actually, we agree in principle. I am arguing against the idea that the team can franchise him for '16 and '17 and he has no recourse ("no leverage").

I frequently agree with what you are saying, just not the nastiness you exhibit in the way you say it...though I admit that doesn't seem at all uncommon here.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Anthony!":mujcq35m said:
rideaducati":mujcq35m said:
Anthony!":mujcq35m said:
rideaducati":mujcq35m said:

So let me get this straight... You think that Russell will throw away over $10 million PER SEASON by holding out to gain leverage? That might make a teeny bit of sense if the players got paid while they were holding out, but they don't. That makes total sense to NOBODY. He wants to make more money, not less. That is a VERY dumb reason to believe Russell has leverage...very dumb.

You also think Russell would go to the CFL? Okay. I'm sure his lifelong goal is to be the best QB in Canada where he would be exposed to hundreds of people each week. I hear that sponsors are lining up for CFL players these days...NOT. I'm sure he would be considered the GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME by never beating the best in the World again and retreating to Canada. I'm sure Russell aspires to win the Grey Cup...I mean, if Henry Burris, Travis Lulay, and Bo Levi Mitchell can win CFL Championships, it must be more difficult than the NFL...

Once again, you have NO IDEA what leverage means...none. Russell has as much leverage as your knowledge of the meaning of the word...none. Get back to me IN TWO YEARS when Russell actually has a little bit of leverage...I bet he signs a contract with the Seahawks long before then though.

Rocket

Reaction score
Everyone who seriously believes that Russell Wilson would consider skipping practices and blowing off half a season of games netting him LESS money per year JUST so he can get an extra million or two or get more guaranteed money over a five or six year contract...
raise your hand.

This makes no sense. It's possible, but not at all probable.
Note that the words possible and probable have significantly different meanings. It's possible that Paul Allen calls me tomorrow and hands me the pink slip to the Seahawks... but it's not at all probable.

Remember, save for the hunting guide fiasco, this is the most ultra-competitive human being on the freakin' planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts