Russell Wilson's contract pushed to next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rideaducati

Reaction score
DavidSeven":19dtgpnn said:
I think it's a bit early to rule out Wilson suitors based in 2016 cap projections unless you also have an analysis of how much guaranteed money they have on the books. Most teams can shed as much salary as they want if they have the will.

NY Giants are projected to have a ton of money that year. Rams, too. Even Chicago is going to have $40M, and I'm guessing it's more if they traded Cutler. That's potentially NY, LA, or Chicago, any of which would likely boost Wilson's endorsement earnings significantly as well.

I'm not saying any of these are real possibilities, but just highlighting the fact that if he gets to free agency, there are a world of options out there that cannot be predicted right now. Harbaugh chased Manning after his QB came off a career year and came close to snagging him.

Russell won't see true free agency for AT LEAST two more seasons. I think he'll sign a contract before this season. He is threatening to play out this season and buy an insurance policy to cover money that he could lose if catastrophic injury occurs. Those policies aren't cheap and will probably cost more than his salary for this season which is even more money lost. His agent is being stupid.

I think Russell and his agent are trying to change the landscape of NFL contracts. I think the best thing the Seahawks could do is to put the nonexclusive franchise tag on Russell and let Russell and his agent try to extort another team. I think most teams will laugh at the demands that Russell's agent will put forth. One team will offer an acceptable contract and the Seahawks will match it because it will be close to what the Seahawks have already offered.

The Seahawks would be able to match any offer Russell would receive. They'll have over $40 million of their own to spend. Do you think that any team out there is going to go to a salary that the Seahawks would say no to? Most teams will have less to spend than the Seahawks and ALL of them have worse rosters and would probably balk at giving Russell the most money ever for a QB AND two first round picks.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yes, I think it's very possible that a team makes Russell an offer bigger than what Seattle is willing to match. It's not about projected cap space. It's about Seattle's philosophy vs. another team's desperation.

How much would a crappy team pay for Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers if given the chance? Is there even a limit? Ultimately, these guys sort of do their teams a favor by signing early and avoiding a bidding war. If this really doesn't get done this offseason, it'll be kind of a shame that Russell didn't follow the same tact.

Anyway, he's insured for 2015 and will only be in a better negotiating position once his rookie salary is no longer calculated in the baseline. From a pure business perspective, I really don't see how he is losing power by waiting.

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":a7w5wy18 said:
Anthony!":a7w5wy18 said:
rideaducati":a7w5wy18 said:
Anthony!":a7w5wy18 said:
not true at all he has plenty of leverage now and will have more in 2016.

It's obvious that you don't know the meaning of leverage. Russell CAN'T go anywhere for the next three years if the Seahawks choose no matter what Russell does. How does Russell have leverage?

Simple not show up till week 8, each year he gets credit for a full season. they use up their tags, and are stuck knowing they will not have him for 7-8 games every year, which causes huge problems. Hold out every year till opening day, leave and go to the CFL and get paid huge, I can go on and on. If this were to happen the FO would have to make a choice as their core on defense will be getting older, their contract will be coming up, and they will only have Wilson for 7-8 game a year. So yeah he has leverage just because you refuse to acknowledge it does not mean it is not their. He could hold out till they take the tag off the table as well. HE has plenty of leverage, weather he uses it or not is another thing, since he is a team first guy he probably will not and the FO knowing that will take advantage of it. However you never know what might happen if someone get mad enough.

So let me get this straight... You think that Russell will throw away over $10 million PER SEASON by holding out to gain leverage? That might make a teeny bit of sense if the players got paid while they were holding out, but they don't. That makes total sense to NOBODY. He wants to make more money, not less. That is a VERY dumb reason to believe Russell has leverage...very dumb.

You also think Russell would go to the CFL? Okay. I'm sure his lifelong goal is to be the best QB in Canada where he would be exposed to hundreds of people each week. I hear that sponsors are lining up for CFL players these days...NOT. I'm sure he would be considered the GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME by never beating the best in the World again and retreating to Canada. I'm sure Russell aspires to win the Grey Cup...I mean, if Henry Burris, Travis Lulay, and Bo Levi Mitchell can win CFL Championships, it must be more difficult than the NFL...

Once again, you have NO IDEA what leverage means...none. Russell has as much leverage as your knowledge of the meaning of the word...none. Get back to me IN TWO YEARS when Russell actually has a little bit of leverage...I bet he signs a contract with the Seahawks long before then though.

Dude let me help you if they do not come to a deal, Wilson could hold out this year only 1,5 mil till game 8 or until they take the tag off. Lets remember if he holds out till game 8 we miss the playoffs,, we loose 1 year of Sherman, Et, and Kam and Lynch. DO you really think the FO would be okay with that? No at that point either they will give him the deal wants or agree not to tag him. IF neither happens next season he will get tagged could hold out till just before the season starts still get his full pay but it would be a major handicap our teams ability to win, and so on and so one. So yeah he can and does have leverage. As to your insults grow up dude.

Anthony!

Reaction score
DavidSeven":235b7kdx said:
Yes, I think it's very possible that a team makes Russell an offer bigger than what Seattle is willing to match. It's not about projected cap space. It's about Seattle's philosophy vs. another team's desperation.

How much would a crappy team pay for Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers if given the chance? Is there even a limit? Ultimately, these guys sort of do their teams a favor by signing early and avoiding a bidding war. If this really doesn't get done this offseason, it'll be kind of a shame that Russell didn't follow the same tact.

Anyway, he's insured for 2015 and will only be in a better negotiating position once his rookie salary is no longer calculated in the baseline. From a pure business perspective, I really don't see how he is losing power by waiting.

He is not, only guys who cannot see or do not want to see think he is. Every year he can hold out till the first game, still get paid but our chances of winning drops big time. Every year he plays and plays well his price goes up, Every year more teams will need a franchise Qb and more money will get freed up.

Anthony!

Reaction score
rideaducati":28ajsvrg said:
DavidSeven":28ajsvrg said:
I think it's a bit early to rule out Wilson suitors based in 2016 cap projections unless you also have an analysis of how much guaranteed money they have on the books. Most teams can shed as much salary as they want if they have the will.

NY Giants are projected to have a ton of money that year. Rams, too. Even Chicago is going to have $40M, and I'm guessing it's more if they traded Cutler. That's potentially NY, LA, or Chicago, any of which would likely boost Wilson's endorsement earnings significantly as well.

I'm not saying any of these are real possibilities, but just highlighting the fact that if he gets to free agency, there are a world of options out there that cannot be predicted right now. Harbaugh chased Manning after his QB came off a career year and came close to snagging him.

Russell won't see true free agency for AT LEAST two more seasons. I think he'll sign a contract before this season. He is threatening to play out this season and buy an insurance policy to cover money that he could lose if catastrophic injury occurs. Those policies aren't cheap and will probably cost more than his salary for this season which is even more money lost. His agent is being stupid.

I think Russell and his agent are trying to change the landscape of NFL contracts. I think the best thing the Seahawks could do is to put the nonexclusive franchise tag on Russell and let Russell and his agent try to extort another team. I think most teams will laugh at the demands that Russell's agent will put forth. One team will offer an acceptable contract and the Seahawks will match it because it will be close to what the Seahawks have already offered.

The Seahawks would be able to match any offer Russell would receive. They'll have over $40 million of their own to spend. Do you think that any team out there is going to go to a salary that the Seahawks would say no to? Most teams will have less to spend than the Seahawks and ALL of them have worse rosters and would probably balk at giving Russell the most money ever for a QB AND two first round picks.

Lots of thinking could be true problem is once again we do not know what the Hawks offered or what Wilson is looking for. For all we know the money is not the issue it is the length, the hawks want only 4 and Wilson wants 5. Would be a shame if that is it. Just a lot of assuming like Wilson has know leverage etc. We really do not know, no one but the Hawks and Wilson agent and Wilson really know, everyone else is guessing. FYI the whole most money ever for a QB was started by the media not Wilson.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok since we are not playing nice.

We will flip a coin, one side is two Vacations the other is lock the thread.

Tumblr n4rgt55mnd1tzgbkuo1 500

Status
Not open for further replies.